Author Topic: Idea for trackball / arcade controller  (Read 1485 times)

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
Idea for trackball / arcade controller
« on: Fri, 05 December 2014, 15:47:48 »
I've been toying around with the idea of making a trackball / arcade controller. I guess I kind of got the idea after seeing those BAT one handed chording boards.
Features I would like to implement besides standard/basic functionality:
>mouse / controller modes, something like switch to change the button bindings sort of like an Fn lock so I can have other keys bound to the buttons to use with games.
>while in mouse mode, one of the thumb buttons can be held to change from pointer to scroll mode.

Basic layout:

not to exact scale, etc.

I intend to use MX switch for the mouse buttons with 1x keys on the fingers, 1.5 keys for thumb and a 2.25 palm button. Asides from that I am not really too sure on other parts I need to source. I want good components but I don't want to pay a fortune for them. Anything I can scavenge from old 'junk' would be most ideal. I want a large trackball, so I can palm it basically. I want something 'accurate' also in case I want to try using it for art work.
Since it's pretty limited in amount of keys and things, I assume doing a platemount and handwire approach will be the easiest thing. I really don't have much experience in designing anything...

I know a lot of people don't feel balls are great for playing games, but the only games I will be likely to play with something like this are sidescrollers and such so I don't think it will really be an issue.
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 December 2014, 17:18:42 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Idea for trackball / arcade controller
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 12:26:38 »
Wow, I'm surprised there are no replies to this. This would make for a pretty interesting trackball, although I won't use it for gaming, just some general computing.

Actually, it might be cool to use for some MAME trackball games.

Ivan, have you delved deeper into this project?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 12:28:58 »
I have an XArcade joystick.  I am very happy with it.
http://shop.xgaming.com/collections/arcade-joysticks

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 22 September 2015, 12:40:04 »
I've been toying around with the idea of making a trackball / arcade controller. I guess I kind of got the idea after seeing those BAT one handed chording boards.
Features I would like to implement besides standard/basic functionality:
>mouse / controller modes, something like switch to change the button bindings sort of like an Fn lock so I can have other keys bound to the buttons to use with games.
>while in mouse mode, one of the thumb buttons can be held to change from pointer to scroll mode.

Basic layout:
(Attachment Link)
not to exact scale, etc.

I intend to use MX switch for the mouse buttons with 1x keys on the fingers, 1.5 keys for thumb and a 2.25 palm button. Asides from that I am not really too sure on other parts I need to source. I want good components but I don't want to pay a fortune for them. Anything I can scavenge from old 'junk' would be most ideal. I want a large trackball, so I can palm it basically. I want something 'accurate' also in case I want to try using it for art work.
Since it's pretty limited in amount of keys and things, I assume doing a platemount and handwire approach will be the easiest thing. I really don't have much experience in designing anything...

I know a lot of people don't feel balls are great for playing games, but the only games I will be likely to play with something like this are sidescrollers and such so I don't think it will really be an issue.

I have to say something else about this design.  How are you going to use the trackball with the switches around it?  Boo.  Bad design.  Better to have the trackball separate from the buttons.
I'm sorry, but that will not work Ivan.