Author Topic: [IC] Hyper7 R4 - The 173% Keyboard  (Read 16376 times)

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
[IC] Hyper7 R4 - The 173% Keyboard
« on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 04:35:12 »
Hyper7
The 173% Keyboard

In 2020 we launched the third round of the Hyper7 keyboard. A behemoth of a keyboard inspired by the Space Cadet keyboard. After 3 years we're bringing it back for a fourth round, with an improved enclosed stainless steel case, a carry handle, and a hotswap PCB. We'll also be aiming to overlap another GB run of Space Cadet keycaps for those looking to truly replicate the feel an aesthetics of the Space Cadet keyboard

New Layout!
For this run we'll be offering a new more standard layout for the centre core of the Hyper7. Providing a more standard column stagger that people are used to, and a 7u spacebar.

The GB is now live! For more information or to purchase, please visit our store page here.

« Last Edit: Sat, 28 October 2023, 08:44:51 by Mechboards »

Offline JackPikatea

Re: [IC] Hyper7 R4 - The 173% Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 08:18:57 »
Love it! looks a lot like the Saturn60 in terms of design. I assume you are collaborating and not ripping off their design?

Offline filefish

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 09:02:06 »
This is the fourth round, the first came well before the Saturn. Not that they're very similar beyond being bent steel.

EDIT: Both owe a debt to the Decision Data 8010 console.
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Decision_Data_8010
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 September 2023, 10:17:21 by filefish »

Offline ELE.WORKS

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 09:35:27 »
very old school,cool

Offline noahf

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 09:52:58 »
Ive beeeeeen waaaaaiiitting! Big excite.

Terms of feedback, not in love with the handle aesthetically. Im sure its very functional. Just wish it could be hidden or of not installed there wouldnt be 2 holes. Mayne some type of badge instead?

Offline Xury46

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 10:35:53 »
I'm very excited about this, I'm happy to see the interest check finally go up on GeekHack 🙂

Offline Meepergon

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 12:21:35 »
This really does seem to look very very similar to the Saturn-60, even down to the carry handle. Did you contact BirgusLatro before this?

And yes, I'm aware that there have been 3 prior runs. The bent steel case + carry handle are new though, and seem to draw directly from the Saturn-60.

Offline ItIsWritten

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 12:31:18 »
I'm interested, but can you use a normal space bar on this, and is it programmable with something like Via, or do you need a degree in coding?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G986B met Tapatalk

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 15:46:04 »
This really does seem to look very very similar to the Saturn-60, even down to the carry handle. Did you contact BirgusLatro before this?

And yes, I'm aware that there have been 3 prior runs. The bent steel case + carry handle are new though, and seem to draw directly from the Saturn-60.

Why? Does every designer need to reach to someone when they make a rectangular design? Furthermore, there has been other Hyper7 cases in the past that have followed this design. How do you know BirgusLatro didn't copy those?

There's plenty of old console style keyboards that these designs are inspired by...The Saturn is FAR from unique and the design in no way can be contributed to them.

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 19:35:14 »
Love it! looks a lot like the Saturn60 in terms of design. I assume you are collaborating and not ripping off their design?

Huhhhhh? you mean to tell me, that two people, came up with similar ideas even though the rest of the product is completely different oh wow that must mean plagiarism.

by this logic everyone who has a handle should apologise to nintendo for stealing the handle on a product that usually doesn't have it idea of the gamecube. Or that everyone who wants to make a full size ansi keyboard should go to IBM for permission for the design.

What the saturn 60 did was not original. You people are being stupid as ****, please shut up.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 15 September 2023, 20:39:13 »

Only in your head, unfortunately. Out of interest, do you also go after every TKL case designer since the DK Saver because in your opinion everything since rips off anything that bears even a slight resemblence? Or how about every 60% designed since an OG 60% from years and years ago which bears any so much as passing resemblence to its predecessor?

The Saturn-60 which you claim to love so much doesn't even have any keys on the top bit where this does. This has it so that those keys are even accessible. It is also, without wishing to state the obvious, not the same form factor at all. In a way everything's derivative but your line of attack here is entirely baseless, grasping at straws at best.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 September 2023, 20:43:29 by aicyborg »

Offline roffelsaur

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 00:27:02 »
Honey, I swear I'm not overcompensating for anything...

Jokes aside, I love how committed this is. Go big or go home, they say, and I totally agree <3

Offline Bushhawk

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 04:51:10 »
They added a handle and closed the previously open sides and everybody is losing their mind.

Offline Cipulot

• Website
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 16 September 2023, 08:07:10 »
Very interested in this round.

I'll glimpse over the random plagiarism, they make little to no sense in this case.... like w0t  :eek:

Super happy to hear that thanks to this new round another run of the caps is in sight (I need it desperately).

I'm curious to see if something something can be added but for that, I'll reach out directly.

GL with this, very excited :thumb:

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 September 2023, 08:21:26 »
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the good feedback!

In regards to the Saturn60 - We were designing a bent metal enclosed case long before the Saturn60 came about (or at least before we were aware of it). It's hard to make a bent metal case with a raised back for a chunky keyboard not look similar in design. We were also very sure we wanted a handle on the new enclosed case (since it's a big boy to carry around) before the Saturn60. However, in all honesty, after becoming aware of the Saturn60 there were a couple of things we took inspiration from, but that was more the internal mounting, not the design and aesthetics of the case. Any "old school" style bent metal case is going to end up looking very similar.

In regards to the layout - After a lot of feedback, we're working on a optional more standard layout for the core of the board. It would feature a 7u spacebar and a more conventional stagger for the rows.

I'll post some pictures of the updates once we're certain of the changes we want to make.

Offline WU

• WUkds
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 September 2023, 07:52:53 »
The first time I saw it, I associated it with the keyboard of that big instrument. It's really cool. It's the first time I've seen this kind of big keyboard. I like it so much.

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 10:59:34 »
Thanks for all the feedback! Added a KLE showing the new layout we'll be offering for the core of the keyboard.

Offline Starius

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 18:01:33 »
Ooooh baby. I'm gonna keep my eye on this one.  😍

Offline Starius

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 03 October 2023, 18:03:37 »

In regards to the layout - After a lot of feedback, we're working on a optional more standard layout for the core of the board. It would feature a 7u spacebar and a more conventional stagger for the rows.

Just as long as you don't remove the arrow cluster like some other projects have.
(There's gotta be room for arrows on this thing, right? 😂)

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 October 2023, 03:35:31 »
It would be a crime to not have an arrow cluster on a keyboard this big!

Offline kuangmk11

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 21 October 2023, 13:06:05 »
All in this time!  Still kicking myself for skipping the 7bit keycap buys...  What controller are you using?  I am thinking of doing a custom upper PCB or handwire  to incorporate some encoders.  Any files or pictures for the PCBs?

Offline Sicklestudio

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 22:08:53 »
Almost bigger than tiny desk. Man

Offline nii427

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 23 October 2023, 22:14:32 »
very cool!!!

Offline Thumb Key

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 24 October 2023, 01:20:06 »
Big Mac keybord! Please consider the normal space bar :thumb:

Offline splodeybaloney

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 27 October 2023, 12:24:45 »
I know this is the IC thread, I'm not associated with mechboards in any way but uh the sale is open on their website: https://mechboards.co.uk/products/hyper-7-v4

Offline Mechboards

• * Vendor
  • Mechboards UK
    • Mechboards
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 28 October 2023, 08:45:27 »
Thanks! Just waiting for the official GB thread to be approved.