Author Topic: Mousepads  (Read 21495 times)

Offline dmbr

Mousepads
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 24 May 2012, 16:27:35 »
Mousepads are extremely important if you're at all serious about gaming.

The Steelseries SX will simply make you better. Like, *poof*. And that is why there is not a single one for sale in America :/

Offline hamza_tm

Mousepads
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 09:42:26 »
I sold an icemat for about £15 shipped within UK, bargain I would say :)

And there isn't a single SX I've found in the UK either ;)

Offline All The Fire

Mousepads
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 22:50:35 »
I caved on an Artisan Shiden XSOFT the other week, came on Monday and had a run with it in WaW last night. So impressed, feels really comfortable under the wrist, glides really well with little effort but gives enough friction so as not to feel slippery like the Roccat Sota hardmat. Strikes a great balance all round.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
Mousepads
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 29 May 2012, 22:56:52 »
I love going from a small cheap mouse pad to this huge Steelseries. It's awesome that I don't have to constantly pick up and drag my mouse around
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline fuah

Mousepads
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 09:02:25 »
Ordered two of the large HIEN VE's. Hoping to set them up as a deskpad.

Offline itznfb

Mousepads
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 13 June 2012, 10:05:48 »
Optical w/ good mousepad > laser.

I use a X-Raypad THUNDER 8 at home for gaming and a XTrac Ripper at work. I'm pretty sure I was one of XTrac's first customers over 10 years ago and everyone always made fun of me for having these big mousepads now they are one of the most popular.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

Re: Mousepads
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 09:23:22 »
Dood why u even ask???!!!oneonesix

Just kidding. ;) This is subjective and people may disagree but I've discovered that the pad may matter more than the mouse. With a limited budget, getting a "designer" pad with a plain mouse is a better idea than the other way round unless I'm missing something (although I've seen my G9X laser mouse glide and track very well on a wooden desk). Still, I'm not saying an expensive hard pad. Just get a cloth pad that costs a couple of bucks instead of a one buck piece they supply with OEM computers. Razer Goliathus is like one of the best pads ever to exist and a smaller one can cost less than a sixpack of beer, same for Steelseries QCK. The best pad I've ever used, although briefly, was probably a custom print pad ordered from ome guy who printed your photos on them. Dunno why, how or where but the surfaces of his pads were amazing. Kinda like a tailored suit, I'm actually not sure they weren't cut by hand (due to the slightly imperfect fringes). Did that thing track! And it cost even less than a Goliathus or QCK (a half, actually).

This said, with a good sensor and a smooth enough desk, you can perhaps go without a pad without deteriorating of tracking and glide, you just need to be careful. The tracking must be predictable if you want to play competitive multiplayer. Going without a pad has the advantage of not having to worry about the edges, not having to rest your wrist on an edge, the mouse not being as tall (if your wrist is outside the pad) and so on. This all can be very advantageous, I think.

Offline harrison

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 19 July 2012, 09:38:20 »
yes and no.  at work i've got a nice heavy laminated desk top, and as a mousing surface it's not too bad.  as a result, i don't feel a need to use a mousepad.

at home, however, i have a  wood desk surface with a pretty heavy grain.  as a mousing surface, it sucks ass and has lots of drag.  i use a func30r mousepad, and used a func1030 previously.  i like the hard textured surface with as little drag as possible.
[work]ducky tiger dk-9008G2, cherry mx brown|logitech performance mx
[home]corsair k70 LUX RGB, cherry mx brown|logitech G700s

Offline YMSNoms

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 11:07:21 »
I currently use a SK Gaming Steel Series QCK
Leopold FC700R
Filco Majestouch-2 Multicamo
Korean FR4-87 Lambo Orange Custom

Offline qlutch

« Reply #59 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 18:14:03 »
Been using my Qck+ for 4 years now. It's pretty great.

Offline 9-bit

• Looking for blank white keycaps
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 18:25:07 »
As an RTS player, I really want a large mousepad. I also have low sensitivity, so take it as you will. It's preference, you don't need it, but some like it.

Offline Amo

« Reply #61 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 21:53:44 »
Instead of paying big for a hard mouse pad I got a 99c ceramic tile from home depot instead. It works surprisingly well, probably the best mouse pad I have used. I would suggest that anyone who wants a hard pad pick one of these up first. Almost 0 cost for potentially great reward.

Offline whiskerBox

Mousepads
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 22:41:54 »
For guitar lovers

Saw those at guitar center for $10 pretty cool
"I'm on a mission to bring down GH's anarchy of moderators" -RIPSTER jr.

Offline edhead999

« Reply #63 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 02:43:18 »
I had a qck+ but then tried out the TL goliathus... it's pretty nice

Offline chocobunny

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 13:12:19 »
Dog chewed up my mousepad so I've been using a sheet of A4 paper. 8)  Was intending to get a new one this month but I pretty much spent my entire entertainment budget on the Steam summer sales.

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 17:04:25 »
I spilt tea on my week old shiden xsoft about a month ago. It seems fine, feels the same, but I can see some light brown staining cause the mousepad is so damn white. At least it all missed my LE pure. Fancying the idea of an aluminium mousepad now.
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 July 2012, 17:06:35 by All The Fire »

Offline 9-bit

• Looking for blank white keycaps
« Reply #66 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 17:29:04 »
I spilt tea on my week old shiden xsoft about a month ago. It seems fine, feels the same, but I can see some light brown staining cause the mousepad is so damn white. At least it all missed my LE pure. Fancying the idea of an aluminium mousepad now.
I honestly don't think it's possible for this post to be more British.

Offline All The Fire

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 18:44:07 »
Ha, right now I'm wishing I lived there. Alugraphics want to charge $200 to ship their mousepads to Australia and I can't get past authorize.net's ****ty address checks to get Geared's mousepad.

Offline nomad

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 21 July 2012, 21:42:49 »
Been using a func surface 1030 for the last 6 years :)

Offline Zhentar

• I'm new here!!
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 22 July 2012, 22:23:33 »
I've had a big sheet of this stuff on my desk for a few years now: http://www.c4mousepads.com/C4Ngen04.htm

I got it at the recommendation of Dan's Data. It's a great mousing surface. No lip to get in my way, and plenty of room to move around on it, and it's got a better feel to it (and better tracking) than just the surface of my desk.

Offline tweet0

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 02:08:03 »
I use a Steelseries 4hd for my mousepad. It is probably the best price/performance hard mousepad. There are better pads but you usually pay way more for them. I also use 800 dpi, with the smoothness of a hard pad it allows for lower sensitivity users to move quicker with less movement, thus helping wrist pains as well.
If you want cloth I think the steelseries qck is perfect. I am not a steelseries fanboy but those two products are the best you can get for the price in my opinion.
Follow me at twitch.tv/tweeto

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
Re: Re: Mousepads
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 05:29:20 »
I've had a big sheet of this stuff on my desk for a few years now: http://www.c4mousepads.com/C4Ngen04.htm

I got it at the recommendation of Dan's Data. It's a great mousing surface. No lip to get in my way, and plenty of room to move around on it, and it's got a better feel to it (and better tracking) than just the surface of my desk.
yep got the same mouseing surface except justa small cutoff.

Offline peptobiscuit

« Reply #72 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 09:33:30 »
My pad journey:

Corel Draw '93 pad. I think it was like 6x8". 0.5 inch thick. Hilarious. I still have it.

2010 - steelseries SX: (10x12") great aluminum pad, nice low friction. After about 3000 hours (a little bit over one year), it started wearing down. It was a very loud and scratchy pad, but very slippery. It also ate mouse feet like no tomorrow. I switched it out because it was actually too small.

2011 - Steelseries QCK+: (15x17"). So i was out of town for a while, and i wanted to game so i needed a pad, so i grabbed the biggest cheapest thing i could get, and it was this. Lovely pad. Tracking was not as good as the SX, and it had higher friction, but holy crap it is quiet. Nice for travel, but i'm super lazy so I don't like it for extended use. It also gets gunk stuck in it.

2012 (present) - C4 ngen 04: (16x16"): Lower friction than sx, lower noise level than sx (still makes corduroy vwoop vwoop sound), better tracking than sx and less mouse feet wear than the sx. This is my favorite surface. Like any "hard" pad, it does get dirty, but you can wash this in your tap. Works best on hard glass or plastic surfaces, where you can wet wipe them clean and quickly apply the pad. I have a dinged up wood ikea desk that swells when it gets wet, so its tough to get this thing PERFECTLY flat because of the wood bubbles, but other than that it is amazing. I love this thing. You have the hugeness of a soft pad, with the low friction and sweet tracking of a hard pad.
HOWEVER, it likes big thick mouse feet like on the logitech g9x or corsair m60. Thin mouse feet like on the steelseries kana seem not to agree with it. If you consider one of these, do yourself a favor and buy the c4 mouse feet with it, you will not regret it at all.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 July 2012, 09:35:09 by peptobiscuit »

Offline TheBackgammon

« Reply #73 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 16:22:31 »
Shinden pads are the way to go; size and texture is amazing

Offline Ragnar

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 23 July 2012, 17:21:55 »
I use Ratpadz, I love them. I have never tried any other nice mouse pads though, so I have nothing to compare to except OEM style pads, and they are much nicer than those.

Offline Zykos

« Reply #75 on: Fri, 27 July 2012, 22:14:46 »
A mousepad helps so much.

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 28 July 2012, 17:35:23 »
803-0

Artisan Shiden XSOFT Medium Size :D

Prior to this I was using Razer Goliathus pretty good mouse pad for the price.  Also tried Razer Scarab briefly but found it too fast and not enough control so I returned it lol
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 August 2012, 23:12:50 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 05 August 2012, 09:00:39 »
I use 7 mouspads.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline DaClownie

• Handsome Devil
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 17 August 2012, 20:03:03 »
Steelseries QcK mini... I'm on limited space for my computing, so this mousepad combined with a CM Quickfire Rapid with MX Browns allows me plenty of space on my keyboard drawer.

Offline Paranoid

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 13:55:14 »
I use both for work and at home a razer lachesis mouse. At home I use a steelseries 9HD mousemat as to the surface of the table at my work. I have to say the mousemat makes a world of difference in this case :)

Offline akuJIWA

• Lock 'N Load!
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 27 August 2012, 13:57:33 »
I'm using qck+ fnatic and IME 3.0 navi. Best combination!
The Cheat - B/R/B ; Clear switch with 62g springs

quit

Offline xcelerate

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 28 August 2012, 16:03:31 »
Current Pads:
Goliathus Speed extended (excellent with abyssus)
Steelseries 9HD
Artisan Shidenkai Med (best glide)
Artisan Hien Med
Puretrak Talent
Cyborg G.L.I.D.E 7

Previously owned: Razer Destructor, Razer Xactmat, and others

My all time favorites would be the shidenkai, goliathus speed and the talent.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 August 2012, 16:22:13 by xcelerate »

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 06 September 2012, 12:32:02 »
Im never one to keep my desk clean so ive always used some sort of a mouse pad or surface.

Just got a Razer Sphex Skin surface and i love it but my friends are making fun of my "bad decision" and "cheap mouse surface" :-[, they just be jelly. I wonder how long before the adhesive wears out.... Coming from a Ripper XXL btw, got tired of using cloth mousepads.

Offline posthaste

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 11:32:17 »
I love the super slick PTFE mousepads sold by CS Hyde.  You can also buy it in a roll with a thin rubbery backing and cut it to fit your space.

http://www.c4ngen.com/

Offline wcstick

« Reply #84 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 14:37:00 »
I use a mousepad so that the mouse sensor has a consistent surface to read. otherwise, there would be skipping and missing gestures. I do a bit of illustrator and photoshop work so a good surface helps a lot so that I don't miss pixels. however, I'm not particularly picky about the texture of the mousepad so long as my mouse can track properly.