Author Topic: [IC] Ikeygai Albatross TKL  (Read 6434 times)

Offline Ikeygai Designs

[IC] Ikeygai Albatross TKL
« on: Thu, 10 August 2023, 23:00:22 »
Introducing the Albatross TKL!

When designing the Albatross, we wanted to achieve a keyboard with some character, while also keeping things simple. We knew we wanted a TKL, we wanted it to have a weight, we wanted the sides to have some personality, and most importantly sound and feel good. The reason we went with ‘Albatross’ is because of the wing like shape that we gave to the back side-profile (the USB side). The “wings” being as wide as they are, we named it after the bird with one of the largest wingspans. Our philosophy with this board is simple, to design a premium mechanical keyboard that sounds and feels good to type on while also having some personality to it.

Our goal is to offer a premium keyboard with character. We also wanted to ensure this keyboard would be launched at a fair price point. Therefore, we are aiming for an approximate retail price of $350 for the base kit which includes – an anodized aluminum keyboard case with a stainless steel weight, solderable PCB, an aluminum plate, gaskets and the various foam options.
**Options like Hotswap PCB, or different plate material can affect the final price of the build.

The Albatross will be a split-plate, gasket mounted keyboard with a sleek mirror polished stainless steel weight. The weight cuts through the bottom case and to show our logo on the inside of the bottom case. The gaskets will utilize a friction fit to stay on the plate, eliminating the need for sticky gum on your keyboard. The gaskets and the gasket tabs are also sized and positioned with intent to provide a comfortable typing experience and enhanced sound profile. The engraving above the arrow keys is 'Ikigai' in Japanese which translates to "A reason for being", in other words a purpose. It is also the inspiration for our name and brand.

Details:
  • 6 degree typing angle
  • 20mm front height
  • Materials - Aluminum top and bottom frame, Mirror finish Stainless Steel weight
  • Split-Plate Materials - Aluminum, FR4, PC (these are the options we are looking at for now)
  • Gasket Materials - Silicone
  • Colors - TBD but at minimum - Black, Red, White
  • PCB - Both Solder and hot-swap, designed by Gondolindrim. Please see picture below for supported layouts. The Albatross will use the UNIFIED USB-C Daughter board connector.
  • Price - We are targeting to price this keyboard around $350. But based on the interest/demand that can change. Layout Options below.
  • Options - WK F13, WK w/o F13, WKL F13 and WKL w/o F13. These are only variations in the top case and any of these variations is supported by both the solder and hot-swap PCB’s.

Solder                                                                                                                                           Hotswap

Along with the PCB, the split-plate was also designed in collaboration with Gondolindrim . Using his years of experience in Mechanical Keyboards, we have a come up with a split-plate plate design that allows the Alphas section and the Nav section to be isolated from each other, which provides a more uniform sound profile for both of these sections. This also allows the spacebar to be isolated from the gaskets and let the natural sound of the spacebar to come through.

Solder PCB pictured here.

Sound Test -

Let us know what you think by submitting the INTEREST CHECK

We truly do appreciate your time and interest and look forward to hearing your thoughts.
Check out our website as well - www.ikeygai.com to learn more about the Albatross and other projects we are working on. Join our Discord below to stay up to date!

Contact (Come say hello!):
Discord - Ikeygai Designs
Instagram - @ikeygai_designs

« Last Edit: Thu, 10 August 2023, 23:02:01 by Ikeygai Designs »

Offline Sieglinde

Re: [IC] Ikeygai Albatross TKL
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 12 August 2023, 11:27:00 »
Will it have that "Albatross" branding on the left corner? Also please consider having an option for no engraving above the arrow keys.

Offline Ikeygai Designs

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 12 August 2023, 22:11:53 »
Hi! Thanks for your interest! No, the engraving on the left corner is something we just experimented with on the prototype. We will consider an option without the engraving about the arrow cluster. 

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 August 2023, 02:30:36 »
Can you tell me ehk and weight for this board?

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 August 2023, 19:12:52 »
universal plate options please

kinda sucks you support iso on the solder pcb but not the plate

Offline Ikeygai Designs

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 16:24:34 »
Hi! This is only the prototype plate we had made and the 3d images of the plate we shared were to show the gaskets and split plate design. Not to say that is the only plate we will support, we will include more plate options or a universal one like you suggested  :)
universal plate options please

kinda sucks you support iso on the solder pcb but not the plate

Offline Ikeygai Designs

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 16:28:58 »
Hi! The weight is 2.5kg fully built. Would you mind telling me what you mean by EHK? Thanks for your interest!  :)

Can you tell me ehk and weight for this board?

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 14 August 2023, 20:09:31 »
Hi! The weight is 2.5kg fully built. Would you mind telling me what you mean by EHK? Thanks for your interest!  :)

sorry I meant ekh I have a habit of writing ehk for some reason (effective keyboard height) it's good to have both ekh and front height so that you know all the details.

https://github.com/Croktopus/effective-keyboard-height - just incase you don't know it

Offline lkkedward

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 05 September 2023, 10:34:25 »

sorry for my poor painting skill.
i'm not familiar with manu cost but i personally think change this corner to a round chamfer would give a nice touch.

Offline Ikeygai Designs

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 19:55:33 »
Hi! The EKH is 31mm.

sorry I meant ekh I have a habit of writing ehk for some reason (effective keyboard height) it's good to have both ekh and front height so that you know all the details.

https://github.com/Croktopus/effective-keyboard-height - just incase you don't know it

Offline Ikeygai Designs

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 08 September 2023, 19:57:34 »
Your painting skills are just fine :), thats a neat idea. We will look into it! Thank you for taking the time to show us this!
Show Image

sorry for my poor painting skill.
i'm not familiar with manu cost but i personally think change this corner to a round chamfer would give a nice touch.