Author Topic: Anybody buy keys from Maxkey yet?  (Read 44725 times)

Offline ChitownM2

Anybody buy keys from Maxkey yet?
« on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 12:43:49 »
Has anyone purchased any keysets from Maxkey yet?

I stumbled across them in this thread https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=85610.0

And then found the english version of the site where they are selling this Max Ashen kit for $75. It looks kind of nice and the price is obviously pretty outstanding if the quality is at least decent, and they're definitely expensive if they are garbage. 

Just curious if anyone has purchased from them and what their opinion is.  The only info I could find is in this post and they look ok...https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33130.msg2368802#msg2368802

Offline Arallu

Re: Anybody buy keys from Maxkey yet?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:12:34 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 10:37:24 by Arallu »

Offline Marvellion

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:20:39 »
Originative, KeyClack and ZFrontier are all having GBs with MaxKeys at the moment and that Ashen set is an instabuy. I personally think that their caps looks like a good alternative to SP SA. Only issue I read about is the kerning, which hopefully will be better as Originative has said.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 13:21:14 »
Thanks for the link. Those don't look too bad if those are the worst of the issues. Definitely something I would notice after I'd dropped $175 on a set, but something that the average person would never see and honestly doesn't really bother me at a $75 price point.

Offline zslane

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 14:18:17 »
This reminds me of the electric guitar market and the marketplace tension between US-made Fenders/Gibsons and their Asian-made equivalents. For some folks, the extra cost of the original, US-made instruments is worth the exorbitant premium, while for others (maybe even most) the deep discount of the Asian-made versions far outweighs any perceived quality difference.

It won't be long before we start accusing each other of being cork-sniffers...

Offline moonmaster

• big bumps, beautiful boards
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 22:27:57 »
Cork sniffers? 😯

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 22:37:29 »
This reminds me of the electric guitar market and the marketplace tension between US-made Fenders/Gibsons and their Asian-made equivalents. For some folks, the extra cost of the original, US-made instruments is worth the exorbitant premium, while for others (maybe even most) the deep discount of the Asian-made versions far outweighs any perceived quality difference.

Heh, Fender and Gibson American'd themselves into a problematic situation for a while.  They cheaped out on quality of the US made stuff to a pretty heavy degree for a long while.  With Fender, people weren't buying the made in America gear because they found the made in Japan stuff ended up being superior quality for a lower price.  Fender moved their lower-priced gear production to Mexico, limited MIJ gear, then finally stepped up their USA gear.  I still don't find Fender stuff worth the money but it's definitely improved.

I can't recall the specifics of Gibson quite as well but there was a fair while where companies like Heritage and PRS were eating into their high-end market while the Asian makers ate into the low end.

Personally, I can do both.  When there's a good, cheap instrument that I like, that's a good deal no matter what.  That said, I do love my boutique instruments.  They're damn expensive though.

And, damn, I'm already a cork sniffer :(  Actually discovered a bad bottle of wine that way on a rare date-after-kids for the wife and I.

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 22:48:22 »
Some legend issues "SHIF T", "BACK SPACE", as well as slight legend inconsistencies with R1 that will hopefully be corrected for the R2 production runs, although some early samples still have partial issues (renders are mostly looking good). Also some very small thickness inconsistencies between caps.  Slight profile and texture differences compared to SP SA, but interchangeable in my opinion.  For $75 I think they're a great deal, even with the minor issues from R1.  And 1/5th of the lead time compared to SP SA just sweetens the deal.  If you like SA and the colorways, I'd definitely go for it.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 March 2017, 22:50:29 by tameone »
keyboards.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 22:51:41 »
Given I've got a set of SA caps in hand and two more sets on order, I can safely delve into the MaxKeys market once a colorway pops up that intrigues me and not worry so much about the cost.  I like that.  At a nice price drop, I can accept the quality difference at least once to see how they are.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 14 March 2017, 23:47:41 »
Maxkeys seems to be put together well enough. Hopefully they sort out their legends issues soon.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Minnie2

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 02:46:15 »
I've seen the posters :)
    A Bro Caps Fan

Just wanted to make sure everyone sees that information. A lot of people missed it ;)

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 08:01:37 »

It's not even just the price, it's also the fact that SP has an obscene backlog for doubleshot SA.  I think people would still opt for SP if you didn't have to wait a year for your set.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 10:19:19 »
For $75 I decided they are worth it even if they haven't or don't fix the issues. If they get them fixed it will be a bonus for me. I have several other sets I'm interested in coming up for GB but I will have these in hand way before the others even enter production. That alone makes it worthwhile.

Offline zslane

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 12:35:00 »

It's not even just the price, it's also the fact that SP has an obscene backlog for doubleshot SA.  I think people would still opt for SP if you didn't have to wait a year for your set.

Yeah, the double-shot SA backlog is a serious impediment to consumer enthusiasm.

However, we don't even know if MaxKeys will accept custom designs at reasonable MOQs, or what sort of QC issues the poor GB agent will have to deal with (especially with regard to novelty legends and color consistency). For example, recent quotes for novelty legend plates seem to have gotten very confused due to the language barrier. I feel that vendors like MaxKeys have a long way to go before they have the same ability to work with designers on custom keysets with the same ease and reliability as SP. It is way too early to start thinking of them as a replacement for SP.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 12:50:33 »
^ We don't know any of these things?  With a GB going?  What am I missing?

https://www.keyclack.com/product/group-buy-maxkey-sa/
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 March 2017, 12:53:49 by chuckdee »

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 14:23:21 »

Yeah, the double-shot SA backlog is a serious impediment to consumer enthusiasm.

However, we don't even know if MaxKeys will accept custom designs at reasonable MOQs, or what sort of QC issues the poor GB agent will have to deal with (especially with regard to novelty legends and color consistency). For example, recent quotes for novelty legend plates seem to have gotten very confused due to the language barrier. I feel that vendors like MaxKeys have a long way to go before they have the same ability to work with designers on custom keysets with the same ease and reliability as SP. It is way too early to start thinking of them as a replacement for SP.

We're definitely in the early stage with MaxKeys at the moment.  Given the SA hype train right now, a lot of people are excited at the possibility of a new vendor which I understand.  I'm also wondering how things will pan out with MaxKeys in terms of working with designers and our multitude of group buys.  I'm fortunate in that none of the currently planned MaxKeys colorways are ones that I want to pick up so I'm able to wait and see how things go with MaxKeys.

On an optimistic note, even if MaxKeys decides they want to go the route of other Chinese makers and mostly focus their production on a handful of colorways they've chosen, it does at least give buyers an alternative to pick up SA style caps in a nice if basic colorway.  We could end up with them appearing regularly on MassDrop like caps from Vortex and others.  Not entirely a bad scenario for the price.

Offline zslane

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 15 March 2017, 17:06:03 »
Yeah, that's true.

If they started offering WoB, BoW, and a basic two-tone gray set, they'd probably have 90% of (prospective) buyers satisfied with just those.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 18 March 2017, 19:41:25 »
It seems MaxKeys will be willing to make smaller runs for custom sets, as evidenced by Jchan's current group buy.

I've been speaking in a discord server to some who are dealing with MaxKeys, and it seems they're going to attempt to fix the kerning on the legends for future sets.

As for MOQ, I heard from someone contacting them that they'd do 300 MOQ @ 55ea.

Things are looking exciting! I'm definitely going to joint that "orange on dolch" buy on Keyclack.com.
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline Burt Macklin

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 09:21:25 »
And let's hope they'll offer some novelties that don't look awful  ;D

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 11:10:01 »
I don't think they'll be doing any novelties in the short term due to the cost of molds. I think it's good that they'll focus on fixing the legends before doing miscellanious stuff

Offline moonmaster

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:31:53 »
I don't think they'll be doing any novelties in the short term due to the cost of molds. I think it's good that they'll focus on fixing the legends before doing miscellanious stuff
So I am totally ignorant when it comes to key cap manufacturing in general and double shot in particular.  Does fixing the kerning, for example, require new molds?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 22:39:11 »
So I am totally ignorant when it comes to key cap manufacturing in general and double shot in particular.  Does fixing the kerning, for example, require new molds?

kinda sorta

some issues can be fixed with a little re-tooling

others require an entirely new mold

just depends on what specific machine they're using
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 19 March 2017, 23:34:48 »

They're doing novelties.

Offline zslane

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 12:19:29 »

No. Creating new legends do not involve making new molds. They involve making new legend plates, which I guess are a kind of mold, but it's best not to confuse terminology.

Offline moonmaster

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:39:18 »

No. Creating new legends do not involve making new molds. They involve making new legend plates, which I guess are a kind of mold, but it's best not to confuse terminology.

Thanks.  Are there any videos or other resources available for someone who wants to learn about this topic?

Also... so excited for Honeywell.  :thumb:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 13:44:27 »

Hahahahahahhaha

keyboards / kecaps are low tech..  international will produce better products at ALL prices..

Even guitars, it's not high tech..

The issue is, when the US based parent company doesn't pass the savings onto the consumer, rather they're keeping it for themselves..

So, it's never the producer's fault,  it's the parent company being more greedy.

Offline zslane

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 20 March 2017, 15:56:15 »
keyboards / kecaps are low tech..  international will produce better products at ALL prices..

I see little evidence that asian keyboard product (outside of Japan) is made to the quality standards expected in the west/Japan unless there is a western/Japanese representative overseeing production (which adds to the cost, of course). Treating mech keyboard components as low-end commodity products undeserving of a higher degree of quality control is a good way to alienate western/Japanese consumers.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 21 March 2017, 23:28:24 »
The funny thing about those lower quality manufacturers is that markets like China are pretty significant for SP and GMK group buys many times. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 13:05:50 »
Well sure. But it only takes a fraction of 1% of China's computer-using population to appreciate (and be able to afford) high-end US-made keycaps to push a MassDrop group buy through the roof in terms of sales numbers. That doesn't change the fact that the low-end preferences of the other 99+% dominate the production practices of their own country.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 22 March 2017, 23:00:48 »
Once they fix kerning, I fail to see why MaxKeys should be considered "low quality". The caps themselves are apparently excellent.

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 00:49:15 »
Once they fix kerning, I fail to see why MaxKeys should be considered "low quality". The caps themselves are apparently excellent.

Depends on how good their quality control is on the keycaps they sell. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 12:44:45 »

There are lots of ways in which the two-shot process can (mistakenly or accidentally) result in bad keycaps. It is then up to someone (or a department of someones) to check the keycaps and make sure the bad ones don't go out to customers. Depending on the experience of the operators, the yield can vary considerably, and depending on the diligence of the QC team, the number of faulty keys that reach customers can be quite high.

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:08:14 »

As others have mentioned, QC is very important for individual caps to make sure they are perfect, but on a larger scale QC/processes are also very important. For example, how well they control the color process is very important. You could end up with keys that are supposed to match but don't. This could be in the same batch or 2 years down the road. SP is able to produce the same color over and over again. Traditionally chinese manufacturers haven't been good at these type of things. Right now they may source their dyes from cheapest place A and in three months it might be place B. When price is the #1 concern then things like QC, consistency, etc all take a back seat. SP & GMK are basically the opposite because they know enough people will pay to keep them in business as long as the quality is kept high.

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:16:32 »
I got my Purple and white and Black SA Maxkey set from taobao a few weeks back(posted it on reddit). Hence, SA BLACK LOTUS

Anyways, got too excited and mixed them both on a build im currently dying to finish (kbd75 spacebar stab issue)

Im really sorry bout some keys being in the wrong place and that flipped "s"

But the thing is, this keyset isn't half as bad as i thought they would be.

Pros
- SA profile
- The font looks good (unlike other SA/DSA copies)
- Base set came with 127 keys (this includes novelty keys)
- Thicc ABS
- Doubleshot
- Got them in less than a month

Cons
- Texture was a bit matte compared to an Sp SA Carbon keycap i have
- Some kerning issues
- They also sound differently with SP SA caps
- A friend mentioned that he preferred r4 bottom row

Overall i really like them for their looks, sadly SA profile isn't for me and i had to resell them locally for the price i paid for them. It was fun mocking up SA black lotus though  :thumb:

Hope to see more vendors working with them so they can improve, also DSA doubleshot please!

« Last Edit: Thu, 23 March 2017, 13:18:33 by potatobot »

Offline ChitownM2

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 20:45:04 »
Those look pretty good. The kerning issues are apparent if you're looking for them, but otherwise pretty clean. Especially for the price.

One thing I don't get is why they use a 1 in F1 but use I in F10, F11, & F12. That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. That seems like an easy fix they would have caught right away.

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 21:36:24 »
Show Image

Show Image

Why is the key angling so weird throughout the keyboard?

Offline ghostdeini

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 21:38:50 »
So as far as color selection goes, does Maxkeys offer the same range of colors as SP for those interested in running groupbuys?

Offline potatobot

• Her Endgame
  • GMK BLACK LOTUS
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 23 March 2017, 21:57:30 »

Why is the key angling so weird throughout the keyboard?

The switches are not soldered, just mounted them on to test fit and see how it looks.

Offline zslane

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 24 March 2017, 12:13:18 »
One thing I don't get is why they use a 1 in F1 but use I in F10, F11, & F12. That doesn't really make a lot of sense to me. That seems like an easy fix they would have caught right away.

Yeah it is strange that they made the double-digit F keys using I and O instead of 1 and 0, the way SP used to. I can only imagine they did that in the misguided belief that it was what the community expected/wanted (because SP did it that way).

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #39 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 01:11:18 »
Some speculate that they're using old SP moulds. Hack'd by Geeks had very similar kerning issues with "SHIF T". I hadn't noticed the discrepancy in the F keys. It's not major, but another mistake to add to the list.

Offline zslane

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 25 March 2017, 01:25:51 »
Most of the speculation doesn't appear to be based on much solid information. Now, there is the strong possibility that MaxKeys bought their tooling from the liquidated French division of Comptec, not SP (that would be absurd). If so, it stands to reason that MaxKeys ended up with the same type of Gorton pantograph machine that SP uses, and that machine would have come with the same stock font plates.

So no, they aren't using "old SP molds", but they may very well be using copies of the same molds and legend plates that SP uses, but acquired from France.

Offline brianjking

• always carry a towel.
    • @brianjking
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 15:47:06 »
I swear no one actually owns these. Been looking on /r/mechmarket and can't find anyone selling a set. Would prefer to get them without going the GB route and waiting. They're definitely pretty damn nice for the price.
TGR 910 (Healios) | HHKB BT KBDFans Silence-X | Roadkit (Cherry MX Silent Blacks) |Leopold FC750r (Cherry MX Silent Reds |TADA68 (Zealios) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S w/ Hasu BT | HHKB Pro 2 JP w/ Hasu BT & KBDFans Silence-X | RAMA M10-A w/ Zealios TINA-C w/ Cherry MX Silent Blacks HHKB BT Type-S

Offline Niomosy

« Reply #42 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 23:05:58 »
There's probably only a small number of people that actually have MaxKey sets at this point.  The various group buys seem the best method of getting them. 

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 00:59:17 »
Few in the wild right now because the initial run was only sold on taobao I believe.  Now however, you have oco, keyclack, and zfrontier all running 1-3 sets each so you'll see much higher proliferation.  Thinking about making a mashup to get something like this http://bit.ly/2n7FSeT
keyboards.

Offline BlanketZz

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 05:01:16 »
More comparison is always good for the market.

Offline dantan

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:06:30 »
It's end of April, I'm thinking about Massdrop SA before the buy closes tomorrow, and I still see no update on this thread...

Nobody in the world has Maxkey keycaps?

Offline schoolbus

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 28 April 2017, 09:15:49 »
It's end of April, I'm thinking about Massdrop SA before the buy closes tomorrow, and I still see no update on this thread...

Nobody in the world has Maxkey keycaps?

I have a set, what do you want to know?
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline SpectreiiI

• Scribe
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 01 May 2017, 18:13:30 »
My Cyan Dolch set is due in a little more than a month. I would probably go for Ashen if I hadn't already bought 8 sets in the past couple of months. The rest of my money is going to Yuri and Laser and I'll probably call it a year.

Offline zappysnap

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 22:22:15 »
I have the white on black MaxKeys, and they're really nice. They feel fantastic. This is my first SA profile set and I love it. They're super thick and very well made.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

YMDK96/XD96, Holy Panda, Infinikey Hive
DZ60RGB, 67g Zealio v2, SA Oblivion
Varmilo VA68M, Box Navy, SA Ashen
MA60 v2, Wood case, Novelkeys Cream, XDA Canvas
DZ60, 78g Zealios, Lambo case, DSA Geode (custom sublimated)
Leopold FC980M, MX Clear, EnjoyPBT 9009

Offline OkinaDaikon

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 08 May 2017, 23:31:15 »
I have the white on black MaxKeys, and they're really nice. They feel fantastic. This is my first SA profile set and I love it. They're super thick and very well made.
Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

Other than the minor cons, I think they looks very clean. I wanted to purchase a set but I ordered the Penumbra SA from Originative that's coming soon (Hopefully...) I figured that, I could save the amount from a MaxKey SA toward the next SA if I really like it!

I regret not picking up the Orange on Dolch form KeyClack and the Ashen from zFrontier