Author Topic: Simplest mod ever, came out really nice  (Read 4796 times)

Offline square965

Simplest mod ever, came out really nice
« on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 13:46:34 »
Took a dry erase marker to the LEDs on my RK-9000. I intended to just black them out completely, but because the tip of the marker couldn't reach the corners of the domed cover, it made a really cool halo effect.

http://i.imgur.com/zMkHf.jpg

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 13:53:00 »
Ridiculous.

I love it. Looks totally PIMP!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Reptile

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 14:04:16 »
Damn I didn't know they were that bright to begin with on the rosewills. Looks good!
Home:Realforce 87UB 55g
Work:Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears

Offline square965

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 14:16:04 »
Quote from: Reptile;610852
Damn I didn't know they were that bright to begin with on the rosewills. Looks good!

Yeah, they are really really ridiculously bright. It's not so bad when you're looking at it from an angle, but directly above it it's stupid bright.

Offline Input Nirvana

• Master of the Calculated Risk
  • If I tell ya, I'll hafta kill ya
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 10 June 2012, 14:35:12 »
Quote from: square965;610858
Yeah, they are really really ridiculously bright. It's not so bad when you're looking at it from an angle, but directly above it it's stupid bright.

Hence the pimp mod!
Kinesis Advantage cut into 2 halves | RollerMouse Free 2 | Apple Magic Trackpad | Colemak
Evil Screaming Flying Door Monkeys From Hell                     Proudly GeekWhacking since 2009
Things change, things stay the same                                        Thanks much, Smallfry  
I AM THE REAPER . . . BECAUSE I KILL IT
~retired from forum activities 2015~

Offline Dankness

• Jump out of Windows
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 12:34:30 »
Haha I did this exact "mod" on my Rosewill with a black Sharpie.

The blue LED is WAY too bright, I would compare it to the brightness in those little LED key-chain flashlights!!

currently working on a college IT degree – specializing in networking and *nix administration

Offline RotaryFist

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 25 June 2012, 12:50:04 »
I love the comparison pictures you took. Just looking at the bright one makes me want to squint my eyes because I know how it feels to look into one. Hahah
The white LED on the steelseries 7g are pretty bad too. That thing is so bright, if the leds are still on at night they illuminate the ceiling.

I can't sleep with all the leds from devices in my room so everything is taped up. It looks really tacky. Even my router and printers and everything else that has light is taped up.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 June 2012, 02:41:44 »
i modded a abs m1 (which i believe same as rosewill maker, whoever they are) and even through electrical tape the led shined through.

Offline Silit

Re: Simplest mod ever, came out really nice
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 20 July 2012, 18:27:51 »
Looks dope.

(yes, I am spamming posts so I can see classifieds)

Offline Broadmonkey

Re: Simplest mod ever, came out really nice
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 July 2012, 15:07:51 »
I did the exact same thing with my fan controller, where the LEDs was way too bright. I painted them with a less dens marker, thus not hiding them too much. but the light ring looks cool.