Author Topic: New MS Keyboard Offering  (Read 5653 times)

Offline itlnstln

New MS Keyboard Offering
« on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 10:39:11 »
Don't get too excited.  The only thing it really has going for it is a (re)movable numpad.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=12723

Offline Waves77

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 11:07:20 »
Wow! That thing is U-G-L-Y!
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline Ulysses31

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 11:23:37 »
If the designer of this thing thinks it's in the least bit ergonomic, i'd like to shove it where the sun doesn't shine and ask him again.  Microsoft "high-end" stuff baffles me.  I was playing around with a supposedly high-quality Reclusa keyboard a while back and it was abysmal considering the price.  The keys would stick, the keyboard flexed and was easy to twist, and the key-caps themselves felt like they were made from cheap polystyrene.  Of course, the least well-informed class of computer users - the "gamers" - will admire the cheap lights and the slim low-profile keys and various other useless keys and buy it in droves.

Offline lowpoly

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 11:33:34 »
Reclusa

I wonder how they came to that name? Irony isn't something you'd expect from MS.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline D-EJ915

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 15:25:30 »
Quote from: sofa king;7672
I wonder how they came to that name? Irony isn't something you'd expect from MS.
it's a part of their partnership with Razer, hence the spider name

Offline lowpoly

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 15:35:32 »
Didn't know that, thanks.

Sounds like a product name derived from recluse which might not be so far fetched. Thinking of the typical cliche gamer. :)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 15:45:07 »
Oh good, does it feel like hte rest of the Razer keyboards? I tried one and it felt like crappy garbage, so much so I laughed out loud at it.

Offline zwmalone

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 16:01:02 »
Quote from: Ulysses31;7671
If the designer of this thing thinks it's in the least bit ergonomic, i'd like to shove it where the sun doesn't shine and ask him again.  Microsoft "high-end" stuff baffles me.  I was playing around with a supposedly high-quality Reclusa keyboard a while back and it was abysmal considering the price.  The keys would stick, the keyboard flexed and was easy to twist, and the key-caps themselves felt like they were made from cheap polystyrene.  Of course, the least well-informed class of computer users - the "gamers" - will admire the cheap lights and the slim low-profile keys and various other useless keys and buy it in droves.

Not all gamers all ill-informed.  I like high-end peripherals too, I have a RAZER mouse, but my keyboard of choice is always my Model M.

Sure my case is flashy with the lighting and everything but my keyboard is hidden away, and it feels so comfortable.  Plus I am the only one that sees it.
Can't get enough of them ALPS

Offline Bluemercury

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 16:06:36 »
Quote from: sofa king;7672

What alps keyboard is that?
Collection:
Das Keyboard II
Model M5-2
Model M5-1(considering selling this one)
Cherry G80-3000LCMPO with black switches
Cherry G80-5000HAMPO (Brown switches)
McAlly96
HHKP2 BNx2

Offline lowpoly

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 21 August 2008, 16:11:36 »
First thread in keyboard modifications.

Offline remerson

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 06:32:08 »
(delurking -- hello everyone!)

Even just from the picture it looks like this keyboard is going to feel bad -- look at the shape of the keys.

But am I right in saying this is now the only spacesaver-layout keyboard available anywhere?  Given that the Majestouch one is still out of stock.

I so badly want a spacesaver that I'm even considering buying this MS one :/

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 08:51:29 »
Unicomp still sells the Mighty Mouse (without mouse, though - does that make it just a "Mighty?",) which IIRC uses counteracting rubber domes (it was originally sold as the IBM Model M4, IIRC.)

There's gotta be a few other options, too - most of them will be laptop-based scissor+rubber dome boards, though. (The Mighty Mouse's keyswitches are the same as the very earliest ThinkPads used, but there's no scissor, IIRC.)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 09:15:29 »
Quote from: remerson;7721
(delurking -- hello everyone!)

Howdy!  

There are several spacesaver options...depending on how much space you want to save (AND, how much space you willing to make in your wallet).  :)

As a former lurker, you are likely familiar with most of what I am about to share...but here goes.  

The ultimate spacesaver, of course, is the HHKB line of keyboards.  The best available is Professional 2, which has capacitive keyswitches and a built-in two port hub.  But it will also run you close (or over) $300...depending on where you purchase from.  I couple of good sources to purchase from are:

http://benippon.com
http://geekstuff4u.com

Several people here have the Cherry 4100 (in its various iterations).  New they range from $60 - 80, depending on where you buy from.  They feature short-throw cherry switches that, IMHO, are downright fun to type on.  Google should yield dozens of places you can purchase from.  If you are interested in a PS/2, non-windows key version, I'll hook you up with one for the price of shipping.  (they can also be found now and again on Ebay) Just PM me your name and address.  

If you aren't particular about numpads, the Macally MK96 actually has a smaller footprint than a Model M 84-key spacesaver.  This keyboard requires an ADB<>USB adapter (like the iMate), but really feels nice.  (take a look at some pics in the keyboard pic thread first as there is some uniqueness to the key layout)  These can be found NIB from Ebay for the price of a pack of gum.

Model M "minis" (84-key spacesavers) have been showing up in a variety of conditions on Ebay a lot more frequently lately.  There is a current auction for NIB old stock.  If you are willing to fork out around $100, that may be enough...depending on how crazy people get.  I love the Model M minis, BTW.

If you are truly swayed by the MS (key feel be damned), I'd suggest taking a look at the SMK88.  Although there are some blue-cherry-equipped ones out there (I have one and at least two other geekhack members do), they are now only shipping with the linear Cherry switches (black).  As much as people hate them here, they are head and shoulders above the typical, crappy rubber dome/membrane switch keyboards that are so common today.

Old Unicomp "mighty mouse" keyboards (and the IBM-branded equivalents) are available in quantity on Ebay on a regular basis.  They use what I like to call a "buckling rubber sleeve" and are as fun to type on as the 4100 AFAIC.  The added bonus is that they have a built in trackpoint as well!

I'll let others chime in with additional options...I need to go grab some breakfast.  :)

Offline iMav

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 09:17:24 »
Quote from: bhtooefr;7723
Unicomp still sells the Mighty Mouse (without mouse, though - does that make it just a "Mighty?",) which IIRC uses counteracting rubber domes (it was originally sold as the IBM Model M4, IIRC.)

Yes!  I forgot that they still sell the non-trackpoint version.  (a testament to the fact that they aren't as popular...trackpoints RULE!!)  

;)

Offline remerson

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 11:24:21 »
Excellent -- many thanks for the suggestions, iMav and bhtooefr.  You've inspired me to start trawling eBay for a Model M Mini.  I'd previously thought that they just never came up for sale.

I'm after the Model M Mini layout, rather than the very compact laptop-style layouts like the Cherry you mention.  I've actually tried a compact board for a couple of weeks and couldn't get along with it (plus it was a scissor-switch job which hardly helped).  But then going back to a full-size board with the numpad where my mouse should be was a nightmare!  Hence the greatly increased need for the M Mini layout :)

Having said that, you've also got me to look again at the Mighty Mouse, and I reckon I might be able to get away with it as a compromise...

I just hope I can get away with the noise of the buckling springs in the office.  The last time I tried it, in a different company with my full-size Model M, there were howls of protest and I had to give up.

Fingers crossed for a UK layout as well.  Even rarer - doh!

Anyway thanks again.  It's really an excellent forum you've got here :)

Offline remerson

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 11:38:10 »
Hmm.  I guess I could go the other way: instead of losing the numpad, lose the mouse.  If I can find a M5-1 with the little trackball that could work.  Or a trackpoint one (not so much).  Or have one of those standalone little trackpads (ugh) somewhere in front of the spacebar...

Offline iMav

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 11:50:20 »
Like I mentioned, the MK96 is about the same size as the Model M mini, so the reach over its numpad is about the same as the reach over the Model M mini's navigational keys...so, if you can stand the layout, it's a real option for space saving...even though it has the numpad.

And there are, LITERALLY, almost 500 of them available, New-In-Box, from Ebay for a ridiculously low price.  

Check it.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 12:52:25 »
There is always greasing the springs, on the M.

More tactility than Cherry blues (assuming that it was blues that I typed on,) less noise.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 22 August 2008, 23:52:23 »
I want an Alps white keyboard in the Model M mini layout. Too bad AFAIK such a keyboard doesn't exist except for custom jobs like you see on KBDmania.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 00:44:36 »
Quote from: iMav;7732
the MK96 is about the same size as the Model M mini, so the reach over its numpad is about the same as the reach over the Model M mini's navigational keys

It's about an inch less on the mini.

Offline remerson

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 03:57:06 »
It looks like the IBM Space Saver II (with Trackpoint) is the ideal compromise for me - and I've found one on eBay in UK layout as well!  Let's hope it works.

I realise it's a rubber-dome keyboard but I'm hoping the feel will be at the nicer end of the rubber-dome scale.  And my colleagues' eardrums will remain intact, which is important in this case.

I haven't been so excited about a peripheral since I got my Model M.  Yay!

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 04:19:20 »
Quote from: remerson;7764
It looks like the IBM Space Saver II (with Trackpoint) is the ideal compromise for me - and I've found one on eBay in UK layout as well!  Let's hope it works.

I realise it's a rubber-dome keyboard but I'm hoping the feel will be at the nicer end of the rubber-dome scale.  And my colleagues' eardrums will remain intact, which is important in this case.

I haven't been so excited about a peripheral since I got my Model M.  Yay!

Hey, that's a good idea. I use a Model Mini at home and an HHKB Lite 1 at work, which has given me some issues, but if I bought one of these I would be on practically the same layout at work and home.

Offline iMav

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 07:58:52 »
Quote from: xsphat;7765
Hey, that's a good idea. I use a Model Mini at home and an HHKB Lite 1 at work, which has given me some issues, but if I bought one of these I would be on practically the same layout at work and home.

You (xsphat) would be better off picking up a new, non-trackpoint-having mighty mouse from Unicomp (can't remember what they are calling them).  

However, I can't wrap my head around why anyone would want to rid themselves of the greatest key layout ever designed.  :)

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 13:00:21 »
They're calling them the "Mighty Mouse - wo stick."

Offline Ulysses31

New MS Keyboard Offering
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 23 August 2008, 13:38:03 »
Presumably this mighty mouse doesn't speak softly then >_>.