Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1271993 times)

Offline zslane

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #6300 on: Wed, 01 May 2024, 11:02:59 »
How often do we see keycap sets offered today with the kind of layout flexibility that the old 7-bit group buys used to offer? In settling on the Model M color scheme as the basis for keycap sets, we've sacrificed flexibility in favor of reduced cost (and production time). Maybe that's a reasonable trade-off for most folks, but I'm sure glad I got all my Round 6 CADET and HONEY keycaps when I did.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #6301 on: Wed, 01 May 2024, 12:48:53 »
How often do we see keycap sets offered today with the kind of layout flexibility that the old 7-bit group buys used to offer? In settling on the Model M color scheme as the basis for keycap sets, we've sacrificed flexibility in favor of reduced cost (and production time). Maybe that's a reasonable trade-off for most folks, but I'm sure glad I got all my Round 6 CADET and HONEY keycaps when I did.

I feels like we make assumptions based on what's trendy, not what people actually use/need. It's one thing if the IC decides to remove an under-loved kit, but it's another if they don't offer the kit to begin with.

IMO every set should have full TKL coverage with mandatory 40s, fullsize, and ISO kits with no MoQ threshold. It's frustrating to shop for new sets and have to rule out most options just because your keyboard is smaller than 60% or larger than 75%
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #6302 on: Wed, 01 May 2024, 13:04:49 »
I think the lack of better kitting comes from both people not knowing how to do it properly, but also demand/price of extras kits which I think is the most important thing.

A lot of the more niche things like extended 40s support and nordeuk just don't have the demand to reach separate moqs especially at what gmk wants for extra kits. So a lot of that stuff is either scrapped or very limited like modern 40s support (which is now 3 key I guess, that's what I've been seeing a lot when it comes to kitting)

It's a shame but what can you do.
fjell | hhkb bt