Author Topic: [IC] Noxary X75  (Read 60822 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] 2017 X75
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 02 March 2017, 06:38:48 »
The bad news is that this will start later due to X60 delays. X75 won't open until X60 has been delivered to me.

Hi xon. How much later are you guessing since March 1st has come and gone? I really don't want to miss this one.

Do you happen to have examples of the anodizing colors? When I got my last case anodized they had a book of swatches like this: http://imgur.com/MmytRPQ Anything you could share would be greatly appreciated since 'any color' is just a bit nebulous. :D Thanks!

I'll receive the X75 prototype on April 13th in the X60 shipment. I'll need to build it to make sure we're all good, and I'll also need to ship as much as I can out before I start this buy. I think we're looking at April 20th or so!

Regarding anodizing colors, I will hopefully be able to get some samples on hand, if not I'll get multiple pictures of each color in different lighting taken by my guy to represent the colors as well as possible.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] 2017 X75 (Due Early May)
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 26 March 2017, 21:34:28 »
The prototype finally enters production tomorrow (along with some other stuff), which means they should it should be here on the 30th of April. I'll be building it straight away and then (fingers crossed) setting a date for the beginning of the group buy! Here are two screenshots of the prototype spec case, with the engraving.

It really should happen this time, this is the first project I started working on (and why I started in the first place, back in June last year). Kinda annoying how long its taken, but I don't see any obstacles in the way now.

Offline Unforgivable

« Reply #102 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 07:47:19 »
The prototype finally enters production tomorrow (along with some other stuff), which means they should it should be here on the 30th of April. I'll be building it straight away and then (fingers crossed) setting a date for the beginning of the group buy! Here are two screenshots of the prototype spec case, with the engraving.

Show Image

Show Image

It really should happen this time, this is the first project I started working on (and why I started in the first place, back in June last year). Kinda annoying how long its taken, but I don't see any obstacles in the way now.

Finally! So hyped for this. Can't wait to see the first prototype!

Offline poolside

« Reply #103 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 10:38:22 »
Looks like the price went a little further down :)
Standard edition now seems to be limited to 100, however.

Offline gt1989

« Reply #104 on: Mon, 27 March 2017, 13:32:47 »
I'm pretty excited for this, I've never used a 75% board before so I'm hoping to make this my first.

Offline Skull_Angel

Re: [IC] Noxary X75 (Releasing May 2017)
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 22:30:04 »
That's sexy, I'm going to have to jump in on this one.

Is there a possibility of bringing the brass back plate (ANSI) to the standard edition? I'm willing to go in on a first edition (price isn't an issue), but if someone out there can appreciate the color options (planned on a dark grey myself) and exclusive serial number more then I could I can take a seat for the standard edition.

Side Note: a quick search didn't seem to bring up anything, but is the PCB compatible with the commonly sold Holtite bits for hot-swap modding?

Edit: looks like a tight fit, but should work with Holtite mod

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 23:04:20 »
Yeah I may have to join the 75% club for this one...

Offline calavera

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 28 March 2017, 23:23:06 »
What does noxary mean exactly?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 11:03:24 »

I need to limit how many I should be shipping, but I don't really expect to hit 100 Standards anyway.

Is there a possibility of bringing the brass back plate (ANSI) to the standard edition? I'm willing to go in on a first edition (price isn't an issue), but if someone out there can appreciate the color options (planned on a dark grey myself) and exclusive serial number more then I could I can take a seat for the standard edition.

Side Note: a quick search didn't seem to bring up anything, but is the PCB compatible with the commonly sold Holtite bits for hot-swap modding?

If I take the brass plate to the Standard X75, I have to take the others too so it probably won't happen. The First Editions are supposed to be special.

No idea regarding Holtites.

Well I needed something to separate xondat from the work I do, because having a company and user called xondat would end up being confusing. Criteria was really a few things:
  • Easy to pronounce from reading, and easy to write from hearing
  • 6 letters
  • Must relate closely to xondat
  • Available domains/not used before
  • Must look nice (NOXARY, Noxary, noxary)
After a few days of just screwing around with names, I came up with Noxary combining:
  • xondat backwards is tadnox, NOX from that
  • Rotary (watches), thought it sounded nice, ARY from that
So putting the two together met the criteria, creating Noxary on the 9th of September last year.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 11:04:53 »

I need to limit how many I should be shipping, but I don't really expect to hit 100 Standards anyway.

What happens if the orders exceed 100? I really want one of these!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 11:10:07 »

What happens if the orders exceed 100? I really want one of these!

Well there will be 130 total. If there are more orders than the 130 then you're out of luck.

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 29 March 2017, 19:26:07 »

If I take the brass plate to the Standard X75, I have to take the others too so it probably won't happen. The First Editions are supposed to be special.

No idea regarding Holtites.

Well I needed something to separate xondat from the work I do, because having a company and user called xondat would end up being confusing. Criteria was really a few things:
  • Easy to pronounce from reading, and easy to write from hearing
  • 6 letters
  • Must relate closely to xondat
  • Available domains/not used before
  • Must look nice (NOXARY, Noxary, noxary)
After a few days of just screwing around with names, I came up with Noxary combining:
  • xondat backwards is tadnox, NOX from that
  • Rotary (watches), thought it sounded nice, ARY from that
So putting the two together met the criteria, creating Noxary on the 9th of September last year.

Oh balls. Well, looks like I'm gonna try fighting for a first edition, if they're available, haha.

Oh! May be try to match the case color to SP's Skull Squadron black (NN/GX) or white (WA) if I get my hands on one, thoughts thoughts...

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 30 March 2017, 15:36:06 »
Time to pray to the RNG gods...:))

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
« Reply #113 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 03:13:23 »

X60 was first come first serve, will it be rng this time??

Pls no xD

Offline Murdari0

« Reply #114 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 04:29:25 »
Nice, simple design. Looking forward to seeing the prototype shots.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 13:29:26 »
It will be FCFS. I've asked Xondat about this through PMs.

What are the color options for 1st editions? Any pictures available showcasing them?
There is no such thing as "too much orange."

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 13:51:15 »

Pls no xD

RNG meaning if we see the thread in time to sign up!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 14:02:06 »

Pls no xD

FCFS again :)

What are the color options for 1st editions? Any pictures available showcasing them?

Pretty much what you want. There won't be any color matching or anything, but examples of what you want can be passed on etc. I've asked for the possibility of color samples, but I guess since this is the first round of any anodizing colour it'll be mostly blind if I can't get a sample for your specific colour.

Offline LDobler

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 15:29:34 »
What time does this open?  :-X

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 15:36:48 »

May, like it says in the thread title. You'll have plenty of time to place an order once they open up.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline LDobler

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 15:42:24 »

May, like it says in the thread title. You'll have plenty of time to place an order once they open up.

Sorry, quite tired right now. Thought it would open tomorrow and got excited  :confused:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 31 March 2017, 16:36:30 »

Sorry, quite tired right now. Thought it would open tomorrow and got excited  :confused:

I wish. I'll be releasing the First Edition a day earlier than the standard or something, but I imagine with the 130 total slots it'd be difficult to miss :))

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 17:47:02 »
I don't see any mention, but do you have the full case dimensions finalized? I'm trying to gauge final switch height since I like it as low as it can get with micro-switches; just makes m+k usage more comfortable, lol.

Edit: question about the PCB; does customization include the ability to set debounce? I've been searching and can't find too much.
« Last Edit: Fri, 07 April 2017, 19:36:06 by Skull_Angel »

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #123 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 06:27:40 »
I don't see any mention, but do you have the full case dimensions finalized? I'm trying to gauge final switch height since I like it as low as it can get with micro-switches; just makes m+k usage more comfortable, lol.

Edit: question about the PCB; does customization include the ability to set debounce? I've been searching and can't find too much.

Pretty sure most enthusiast PCBs follow Cherry Corp's recommended debounce time of 5ms. I think TMK and QMK allows you to set a custom debounce time, but 5ms is the official spec. Not sure what your plans are, but normally debounce is not something people tinker with when they build their keyboards.
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #124 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 07:34:33 »

The feet will add around 1.7mm, but from the lowest point of the keyboard to the top of the switch plate it's 12.2762mm, and the case height on the front edge is 19.5696mm.

I've asked my PCB guy about the debounce, as I personally have no idea. Edit: it's a software thing, so if the timing is right, I can provide a QMK PCB that you can fiddle with.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 April 2017, 21:47:06 by xondat »

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 22:56:00 »

Pretty sure most enthusiast PCBs follow Cherry Corp's recommended debounce time of 5ms. I think TMK and QMK allows you to set a custom debounce time, but 5ms is the official spec. Not sure what your plans are, but normally debounce is not something people tinker with when they build their keyboards.

I thought it'd be a nice option to have. I run into random chatter now and then on a few boards and rather than mess with the culprit (break down, desolder, replace, reassemble) it would be nice to loosen up the timing for a temp/lazy fix.

The feet will add around 1.7mm, but from the lowest point of the keyboard to the top of the switch plate it's 12.2762mm, and the case height on the front edge is 19.5696mm.

I've asked my PCB guy about the debounce, as I personally have no idea. Edit: it's a software thing, so if the timing is right, I can provide a QMK PCB that you can fiddle with.

Sweet, thanks for the info! No need to send out a PCB, I'm definitely in for the drop when it comes time; I just like info, it gives me the goodness to know everything there is to know about something I'm interested in, haha.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 23:10:33 »
Possibility of a first edition anodized any color is pretty damn tempting...

Might have to try my luck when this opens.  Excited to see the proto built, xon.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #127 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 21:15:28 »
Excited to see the proto built, xon.

Me too.

Prototype should be built with a PCB designed specifically for this board. This means, if all goes well, that the case & PCB will be $300. Got to order prototypes without soldered components, then another prototype batch with soldered components, and then we'd be ready. It shouldn't delay anything due to the quick turnaround of PCB production.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 21:29:33 »

Me too.

Prototype should be built with a PCB designed specifically for this board. This means, if all goes well, that the case & PCB will be $300. Got to order prototypes without soldered components, then another prototype batch with soldered components, and then we'd be ready. It shouldn't delay anything due to the quick turnaround of PCB production.

$300 is REAL GOOD

If the PCB that it comes with is SMD presoldered, I might get in on this...

depends on what happens with pricing on Moon
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 21:37:50 »

Me too.

$300 is REAL GOOD

SMDs?

As far as I know, the only soldering that should be required would be switches, and in switch LEDs if you want.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 22:03:18 »
That's what I wanted to hear.

I read the OP and it answered my questions about colors.
« Last Edit: Tue, 11 April 2017, 22:17:21 by Puddsy »

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 11 April 2017, 22:21:16 »
Ohwhat? When did you add the custom board to the list? Do you have a list of info for it?  :D

Offline duynguyenle

• Personal text? What personal text???
« Reply #132 on: Wed, 12 April 2017, 04:52:59 »

Me too.

$300 is REAL GOOD

SMDs?

As far as I know, the only soldering that should be required would be switches, and in switch LEDs if you want.

SMD = Surface Mount Devices (i.e. Diodes, resistors, caps, MCU, LED Drivers etc etc)
| QFR            | Leeku 1800    | Raptor K1      | Dolch Pac

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #133 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 13:14:09 »
FYI

Now I'm even more excited. Will color options be the same on the plates as the PCBs?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #134 on: Thu, 13 April 2017, 13:27:19 »
FYI

Show Image

Now I'm even more excited. Will color options be the same on the plates as the PCBs?

Yup - aiming for a $300 base price. PCB will be matte black & gold. Plate/cases will be open to colours in their respective versions. These are the layout options:

Offline beltet

« Reply #135 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 07:33:03 »
This looks good. I'm interested. Hopefully I can get one.

EDIT: For an uneducated like me, what exactly is "Any Anodizing Color"? Is there a specific chart somewhere?
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 April 2017, 07:58:22 by beltet »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #136 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 09:00:02 »
This looks good. I'm interested. Hopefully I can get one.

EDIT: For an uneducated like me, what exactly is "Any Anodizing Color"? Is there a specific chart somewhere?

No doubt you'll be able to.

It should be as simple as describing your color and also giving a couple of examples. I'm planning on getting as many anodizing samples as possible so those should give some pointers.

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #137 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 12:26:58 »
I'd love to see those samples. Do you think there will be different tones of colors, say light blue/blue, light grey/grey/darkgrey, etc

Offline need

« Reply #138 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 12:39:18 »
If there's an option for 1.25u on the right portion of bottom-row mods, that would be great.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #139 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 12:45:43 »
If there's an option for 1.25u on the right portion of bottom-row mods, that would be great.

It would've left a gap, but could you post your layout with that from KLE?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 15:57:03 »
I'd love to see those samples. Do you think there will be different tones of colors, say light blue/blue, light grey/grey/darkgrey, etc

anodizing isn't 16.8million but it is fairly specific

i wouldn't trust it to do hexcodes but if i'm pretty sure pink, rose gold, and light red would all look different

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #141 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 16:01:07 »
Interesting. I'd try to get a grey that is somewhat close to my case color.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 18:24:56 »

I wouldn't say many - maybe 2-4 of each main colors depending on what etc. I can't get samples of all (neons, pastels, in betweens of primarys, secondarys etc), but I'll try to cover some less popular stuff.

Offline Murdari0

« Reply #143 on: Fri, 14 April 2017, 22:53:34 »
Love the layout options. Will polycarb plates be available with the regular editions if one misses out on the first release editions and will there be an option to choose between plate mount and pcb mount stabs?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #144 on: Sat, 15 April 2017, 06:05:19 »
Love the layout options. Will polycarb plates be available with the regular editions if one misses out on the first release editions and will there be an option to choose between plate mount and pcb mount stabs?

Probably not. My boards only use PCB mount stabilizers :)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #145 on: Tue, 18 April 2017, 20:28:28 »
First run of prototype PCBs are on the way to Quantrik, which means I should receive it around the same time as the prototype case :p

Offline Skull_Angel

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 05:51:03 »
Sweet! Can't wait for more updates!

Offline poolside

« Reply #147 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 18:25:53 »
  • 8 weeks from payment to shipping.

Pretty quick!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 18:46:20 »
8 weeks from payment to shipping.

Pretty quick!

Definitely a big goal for me this time around. Production generally only takes 4-5 weeks, so it should be pretty achievable as I have everything set up perfectly for a smooth buy.

It's been 40 weeks since I took deposits for X60 (will be 42 at shipping), which is awful, so the best way to come back from that would be cutting it to a fifth. :p

Offline P1kas

• AKA Crono
« Reply #149 on: Wed, 19 April 2017, 22:17:44 »
 It would make sense that this time around it would go faster. You already have a manufacturer you trust and have probably learned alot throughout the process.