Author Topic: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions  (Read 1261007 times)

Offline Maledicted

Re: Unpopular Keyboard Opinions
« Reply #5350 on: Fri, 29 January 2021, 17:03:53 »
Burn it with fire man, burn it with fire. The first thing I do on weird keyboards such as these is drop the tilde. I don't use that ****. That is now an escape. Even if it sometimes still looks like a tilde, it's escape.

I may just do that, partly since my f107 has some yellow APL set on it. Sounds like I may just be able to wait on changing caps until the F reproduction caps are ready though too. I have one printed pearl/pebble set on order, should probably pick up a few more.

there is no options in 122

NMB "Space Invaders" is available in a really nice 122-key board, if you like ISO Enter (it can't be modified to ANSI like ancient IBM iron), plus, if my memory serves me well, it has a standard PS/2 connector.

I have seen those for sale for pretty reasonable prices. Space invaders are a lot nicer than Cherry MX in my opinion, that's about the extent of it though. Gateron and Outemu clickies give them a run for their money and box clickies are a lot better if you ask me.

I have seen some F122s for surprisingly sane prices on Ebay recently, even at buy-it-now prices. They were still well over $200 though.

Okay here's mine.

I like low-profile switches better. I would rather have my fingers be traveling less to type each letter.

Currently still using a regular mechy though, having the satisfying feel and sound is loads better than my typing speed on a flat chicklet keyboard. But I do wish there were more options for low profile switches. What I want just doesn't seem to exist right now.
I've been thinking about figuring out how to design my own.. but I have no idea what to do after I have an actual design. I wouldn't want to spend that much time without knowing if I could actually make them.

I think more people would consider this reasonable if there were enough low-profile switches. Kailh's Choc switches seem pretty nice to me, but all I care about are clickies.

Is there something in the way of making more low-profile switches? Like some kind of difficult engineering barrier? Or is it just a matter of someone making a new switch? I feel like there is market for it, but I could be wrong. I kinda wish I could just design my own and be done with it

Well, I imagine the size is a factor. Part of the motivation for IBM to go from beam spring to buckling spring is because some nebulous authority mandated switches of no more than a specific height. I forget what that authority was. Prior to that, if you look at switches up to the late 70s, they're all very tall. Manufacturers had to scramble to design shorter switches. Ironically, a lot of them were subsequently marketed as "low-profile" in the 1980s. Today we would think of them as standard height. Everything is a give and a take. If you make a switch shorter, you give up something else. That's the nice thing about clickbars. They're dead simple and don't require much of any vertical space, but you still lose overall travel, which a lot of people (including myself) value. For linears there are a lot less challenges involved in overall height, of course.

And then you have the question of why? Besides for in use in laptops, why do we need shorter-than-standard switches? What use case necessitates that compromise? If the only answer to that question is a preference for a shorter-traveling switch, then there's little motivation for development because there will be little demand.

Have you tried installing o-rings? I never liked the Rosewill ones I tried years ago because they made for a mushy bottom out, but I have heard that more modern ones can be better with that. They will, by design, reduce travel. I imagine you could try to jerry rig some kind of shims as well, like a relatively thin spacer or something.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #5351 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 14:43:05 »

NMB "Space Invaders" is available in a really nice 122-key board, if you like ISO Enter (it can't be modified to ANSI like ancient IBM iron), plus, if my memory serves me well, it has a standard PS/2 connector.

Or, there is always Pylon's Boston, a more modern take on a 122:

Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline mode

« Reply #5352 on: Sat, 30 January 2021, 15:31:54 »
1800 is terrible. Honestly the cluster above nav is one of the main areas I do not like to have messed about with wacky layout, so 1800 is bulky and bad in this key way.

Offline pinkpurpleteal

« Reply #5353 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 02:22:54 »
angled keyboards are unhealthy for your wrists and are extremely uncomfortable

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5354 on: Sun, 31 January 2021, 02:34:40 »

Show Image

That.... actually looks quite interesting Oo .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline yui

« Reply #5355 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 04:05:48 »
Show Image

a space saver for chyros :)
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline Arch4Life

« Reply #5356 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 04:34:56 »
Show Image

ohhhh, me likey likey, a giant mothafuvking artisan display board

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline iri

« Reply #5357 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 05:22:17 »
It's not giant, it's quite compact.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline NoteMakoti

• for sale, baby shoes, never worn
« Reply #5358 on: Mon, 01 February 2021, 09:43:25 »
I got one for Chyros specifically: Staggered QWERTY is the Imperial Units of keyboard layouts.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5359 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 02:10:31 »
I got one for Chyros specifically: Staggered QWERTY is the Imperial Units of keyboard layouts.
Staggered QWERTY is the OPPOSITE of imperial units! All the other units are imperial; no-one uses them, and they are completely whimsical and pointless without any benefit.

I like the comparison though! xD Maybe I'll work it into a video someday, somehow.
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2021, 02:12:16 by chyros »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5360 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 02:13:19 »
Show Image

ohhhh, me likey likey, a giant mothafuvking artisan display board

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
If you think THAT'S giant, you should see anything battleship+ xD .

Offline Crabby

« Reply #5361 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 21:17:48 »

This shouldn't be an unpopular opinion if we're gonna be honest. I'm unsure why people like steep angles, or any angles for that matter.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5362 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 21:20:47 »

This shouldn't be an unpopular opinion if we're gonna be honest. I'm unsure why people like steep angles, or any angles for that matter.

Agreed. I always set mine as flat as possible.

Offline bkrownd

« Reply #5363 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 22:50:59 »

What angle works depends on your physiology, posture, seating, location of the keyboard, etc. 

Offline paczki

« Reply #5364 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 23:27:51 »
Artisan keycaps are just plastic at the end of the day -- people often forget that.

And art is just chemicals on a canvas!  :p

Gottem  :))

Offline sacresful

« Reply #5365 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 06:18:50 »

At least for me, if i type with floating wrists(pretty much always) it's much more comfortable to have steep angle - 7+.

Offline casualdehid

« Reply #5366 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 14:17:02 »

At least for me, if i type with floating wrists(pretty much always) it's much more comfortable to have steep angle - 7+.

for me the most comfortable typing angle is that of the M0118. At least for me it is perfect.
M0116, Model M, AEK II

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5367 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 09:04:06 »
Artisan keycaps are just plastic at the end of the day -- people often forget that.

Art is pretty pointless too, in my opinion. I can appreciate the classics for their workmanship/skill, but when you start stacking rocks in the middle of a room, or just splattering random colors on a canvas, it gets a little ridiculous.

People like what they like though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5368 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 11:23:42 »

Art is pretty pointless too, in my opinion. I can appreciate the classics for their workmanship/skill, but when you start stacking rocks in the middle of a room, or just splattering random colors on a canvas, it gets a little ridiculous.

People like what they like though. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Stacking rocks, and splatter paintings in this context appears to be a metaphor for bubbles in the plastics.

Offline micmil

« Reply #5369 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 16:15:03 »

I used to prefer steeper angles. A lot of it was down to posture. The desk I had years ago was super shallow and the keyboard was close to the edge. Think about the "proper ergonomic" form drawings you see and how they all have keyboards on a tray under the desk and how close the keyboard is to the person. Now put the keyboard on top of the desk and imagine the angle your hands would be sitting at. That was my setup for YEARS and having a high angle on the keyboard basically made it such that my hands maintained a straight line with my arms. It was pretty good, actually.

As time went on I developed RSI from other things (the video games and the guitar and the fact that every other hobby I have maims tendons) and had to adjust my typing. Now I'm most comfortable on a very low and flat keyboard. How low and flat? I'm typing this on a Cherry KC 6000. This is for daily work, not gaming.

Offline louisgarbuor

« Reply #5370 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 13:33:54 »
Here goes nothing.

Normal rubber dome keyboards aren't unusable. Also cheap mechanical boards are totally fine. And RGB isn't horrible, since it can be turned off. Other gAm3r stuff sucks though.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5371 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 13:59:06 »
Here goes nothing.

Normal rubber dome keyboards aren't unusable. Also cheap mechanical boards are totally fine. And RGB isn't horrible, since it can be turned off. Other gAm3r stuff sucks though.

Agreed all around, except most gamer boards get more flak than they deserve as well.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #5372 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 14:03:45 »
I'll play:

Blanks > Dots but they’re both dumb. And yes I can type blindfolded.
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2021, 18:57:38 by azzipa »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5373 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 14:55:48 »

The 456gt was my dream board but I had to sell it like a week after getting it because the angle was so absurdly steep. I'll never understand why they had to do that.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline micmil

« Reply #5374 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 18:16:40 »
Here goes nothing.

As much as I like clickyclackclackkathunk there's something to be said for the sharp yet cushioned tactility a GOOD rubber dome can get. I mentioned my Cherry keyboard in the last post and it's a great example. Very short throw, very positive feedback, but soft enough that if you're a hamfisted keysmasher like me you're not bruising your fingers.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5375 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 21:34:24 »

MAN I THOUGHT YOU WERE COOL

Offline micmil

« Reply #5376 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 19:17:47 »
Here's one that's probably already been covered, and I'm not sure how "unpopular" it would be HERE but to the wider "gamer" world... most of what's considered "mechanical" switches aren't mechanical and trying to equate "mechanical" with "good" does irreparable harm by allowing asswads to market garbage like "mechanical feel" keyboards that are typically trash-tier rubber domes, even though you can absolutely type and play well on rubber domes (if you played UT back in the day there's every chance I wrecked your life in Facing Worlds with one of these badasses right here:
:))  ).

Is it good, or is it bad? Answer that question, then the how of its operation can be examined. Before then it's irrelevant.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5377 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 20:46:42 »
BTC rubber dome with sliders is a good keyboard.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline micmil

« Reply #5378 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 21:01:41 »
BTC rubber dome with sliders is a good keyboard.

Quite. I think that completely slanted my view of keyboards since it came with the first real computer my family owned. I kept trying to replace it but everything else sucked in comparison. Mainly because I was broke-ass mid-90's kid and the bargain-bin fodder was all I could get my hands on.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5379 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 09:10:23 »

MAN I THOUGHT YOU WERE COOL

Could you explain? I don't have anything against people tilting their boards to the extreme. I just don't know how they end up preferring it. I always wondered why keyboards even had adjustable feet growing up.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5380 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 09:52:56 »

I always wondered why keyboards even had adjustable feet

It seems to me that it would be better if the keyboard tilted away from you.

Well, unless it was too high already.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5381 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 10:05:13 »

Yeah, that makes more sense to me as well. It does definitely all seem to be dependent on the height of the desk in relation to how high you're sitting in front of it. I'm almost always towering over almost every desk, but at the same time I also have no problem typing lying down entirely flat with an entirely flat keyboard on my lap.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5382 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 10:33:25 »

I'm using a negative tilt keyboard (Kinesis Advantage2) of sorts, and it does seem to be more comfortable for long sessions of typing.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5383 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 14:48:15 »
If a switch is not good stock, and requires mods to be decent, then it’s not a good switch, especially when it’s from a big vendor. 
Just a thought after trying the T1 and the Bobas U4T.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #5384 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 17:41:02 »
If a switch is not good stock, and requires mods to be decent, then it’s not a good switch, especially when it’s from a big vendor. 
Just a thought after trying the T1 and the Bobas U4T.

That one makes its rounds around here from time to time. I agree.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5385 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 18:12:46 »
Yea, lubing switches is kind of a pain.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5386 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 19:05:21 »
Custom keyboards are overrated and a waste of money.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #5387 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 19:13:01 »

:eek:

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5388 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 19:17:47 »

Give me a filco or hhkb anyday.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5389 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 23:25:06 »
Solid unpopular opinion, especially with a kishsaver! Haha. So many are basically attempting to recreate the feel of something like that, it takes guts to say it's dumb, that's for sure.

I agree though.

Offline yui

« Reply #5390 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 00:59:17 »
is it unpopular though, don't we all know that we are wasting money on those boards, like custom cars or PC cases it is dumb but it allows us to express ourselves.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline funkmon

« Reply #5391 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 01:01:30 »
What I think he's saying is that he'd never do it, and it isn't even worth it to express oneself. You might as well stick a bunch of Twilight stickers on your Filco or something.

Offline iri

« Reply #5392 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 01:59:05 »

Filco's stabilisers suck and the keycaps aren't great.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #5393 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 02:17:32 »
What I think he's saying is that he'd never do it, and it isn't even worth it to express oneself. You might as well stick a bunch of Twilight stickers on your Filco or something.

Ehh ive had customs and they just never do much for me.  Like theyre cool in the moment, I really enjoyed the DGE I had, but they inevitably have more problems than OEM keyboards.

Oh they are trash keycaps for sure.  I dont have issues with costar stabs though, takes a lot less to make them not suck compared to cherry stabs.

Offline iri

« Reply #5394 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 03:36:09 »

Oh they are trash keycaps for sure.  I dont have issues with costar stabs though, takes a lot less to make them not suck compared to cherry stabs.
Isn't that customisation though?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Crabby

« Reply #5395 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 04:08:01 »

I fundamentally agree, unless you need/want a weird layout that just isn't available commercially. Compact full sizes or larger than full sizes just aren't very common nor good commercially as far as I know, or left sided num pads.

Offline Crabby

« Reply #5396 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 04:09:18 »

Isn't that customisation though?
I think minor customization on a stock product usually makes more sense than buying designer do it yourself kits that can cost far more. I think it's kinda funny that custom keyboards are almost always just expensive off the shelf components, even soldering isn't necessary anymore. It's like building a computer and saying you're part of the custom computer community.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 February 2021, 04:12:03 by Crabby »

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #5397 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 07:38:00 »

I fundamentally agree, unless you need/want a weird layout that just isn't available commercially. Compact full sizes or larger than full sizes just aren't very common nor good commercially as far as I know, or left sided num pads.
And switches, don’t forget switches.
A lot of the great switches are not available in most prebuilt keyboards. 

Offline Nuclear Nachos

• Anima and Animus
« Reply #5398 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 08:29:52 »
this hobby really isn't focused on being good value :p but you can still get a really nice keyboard for under what most gamer boards are and on par or better than nicer ones like varmilo, leopold, filco for a little more, but when people are paying the extreme r/mm prices on boards rn i agree with you

Offline iri

« Reply #5399 on: Tue, 16 February 2021, 08:36:06 »

And switches, don’t forget switches.
A lot of the great switches are not available in most prebuilt keyboards.
Desolder, swap, solder. Problem solved.

-Ray Bradbury