Author Topic: Unicomp keycaps  (Read 8134 times)

Offline Touch_It

Unicomp keycaps
« on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:10:54 »
Does anyone have pictures of unicomp pearl, pebble, gray, and white keycaps.  Trying to decide what color combo I want for my 4704-107 key.  Also open to suggestions.  I will be doing a brushed aluminum look outer case.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
Re: Unicomp keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:14:07 »
I have some crappy pics of gray and pearl / pebble // let me find.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:16:03 »

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:35:09 »
Thanks.  I do like the gray color.  Thinking maybe black blanks  for the alpha keys, but then IDK about the rest.  Thinking maybe grey or white printed.  I think the contrast might be pretty cool between black and white.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:52:51 »
Black alphas with gray modifiers would look cool.  If you go to this page, you can edit the colors of the keys to get an idea what it may look like :

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/00254d346b36fabb82377812ec7e45bc

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:24:34 »
Cool website.  It definitely helps me get the picture but  hard for me to get a great idea as I'm a very visual person.  At any rate though, I think that I do like the gray modifiers.  I both love and hate decisions, lol.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:26:52 »

Forgot where I grabbed this from but this is the cap colors that Unicomp or IBM had. I have it labeled as "IBM Cap Colors" in my keyboard picture folder.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:30:25 »
That metallic gray is intriguing.  I didn't see it on Unicomp's website.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 22:04:57 »
I don't think Unicomp has as many colors available anymore.  Could open a support ticket with them to ask though.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 23:34:03 »
Those yellow ones look nice - just imagine a full set of them ;D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 17:07:02 »
That metallic gray is intriguing.  I didn't see it on Unicomp's website.

I think it is just called gray, what they often sell in a black case.

The gray is a very "cool" gray to the point where it almost looks bluish.

Side-by-side with pebble (which is very "warm") the difference is dramatic.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Jexu_IBM

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 02:53:09 »
The printed name is always black?
I would like a red button with name printed in white.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 08:17:29 »
The printed name is always black?
I would like a red button with name printed in white.

Unicomp used to make keys pad printed in white but durability was an issue so they dropped them.

All the legends are dye-sublimated but they do have red, green, and blue legends available now on white, pearl, and pebble keys.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 09:32:37 »
I forgot about this thread.  I decided to go with white keys with blank black modifiers with a blank red escape key.

Offline Jexu_IBM

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 23:08:49 »
Fohat.digs Thanks again,  I learn something in new every answer.
For poor durability, stopped producing legends blank? Did you mean that?
Not dominate the language, excuse me.

Touch_It Photo photo photo!!!

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 29 November 2014, 23:11:44 »
I will post photos when I have them.  Not ordered yet.  Won't be till after Christmas :(

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 14:21:21 »

For poor durability, stopped producing legends blank?

Blank keys do not have legends.

There are several ways to install legends on key caps. The most durable is "double shot" where the legend is extruded first in one color and the body of the key is molded behind it in another color.

Dye-sublimation means that dye is absorbed (sublimated) into the body of the plastic so that it is not just a film on the surface. These are also extremely durable.

Pad printing means that the ink or paint for the legend is applied to the surface only and will wear off sooner or later, depending on the quality and thickness of the paint as well as the body chemistry and cleanliness of the user.

Laser can be a light application that merely causes the surface to become discolored, or etching which is a process where the stronger laser is used to melt a canyon into the surface of the key cap, which may or may not then be infilled with contrasting color ink.

Offline Jexu_IBM

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 15:27:35 »
Thank you very much Fohat.digs

Very instructive, completely unaware of all these processes.
We now better understand the complications of certain things that can make some colors as fragile as white. Also I imagine that prices will also go in line with the technology used.

You know more pages on European custom keys? (that are compatible with the IBM Model m)
I have Unicomp main candidate but to know if there are others.

Regards
« Last Edit: Sun, 30 November 2014, 15:30:49 by Jexu_IBM »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 30 November 2014, 17:02:28 »

You know more pages on European custom keys? (that are compatible with the IBM Model m)

We all wish that there were more IBM-style key caps available, but, sadly, there are not.

On rare occasions you may see something like IBM Click-Clacks come on the market but they command very high prices.