Author Topic: Unboxing and typing video of HHKB PD-KB02 - the OG Happy Hacking Keyboard  (Read 3524 times)

Offline intelli78

I got this from another GH user. This is the original HHKB, which uses Fujitsu rubber domes with sliders--not Topre. The build quality and key feel is not bad, though--the worst offender is the spacebar which is really mushy. It's PS2 only, and has a stubby PS2 connector as shown in the pictures. It also has a switch on the back to change modes, as well as a power button for use with classic Mac OS systems. I hadn't seen any hi-res photos of these before so I thought I'd document it.

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 July 2014, 16:57:32 by intelli78 »
Please consider carefully before you decide to comment, for Jesus.

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Wow very cool! I wondered about the original hhkb!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
So cool!  That's a very neat little keyboard.  I love old stuff like this.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
great pictures sir

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Great photos! One day I hope to own one in such great condition and with the original box. Amazing!

Thank you for doing this.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
Oh sheeet. Nice grab, sir. I would love to grab one of these.

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
Wait.. It's not Topre capacitive?

Offline AKIMbO

• HHKBro
  • Know Topre, Know Peace. No Topre, No Peace.
Sweet board!
Mkawa Beta SSK | IBM SSK | IBM Model AT F | IBM F 122 | IBM Unsaver | LZ-GH (62g ergo clears) | HHKB Pro2 Type-S | HHKB Pro2 | Realforce 87U-Silent (55g uniform) | Leopold FC660C | Omnikey 101 (blue alps) | Kingsaver (blue alps) | Zenith ZKB2 (green alps)
| KBD75 (box reds)

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
That's cool! I'm totally jealous  :D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Wait.. It's not Topre capacitive?

No.

Neither is the HHKB Lite.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline minority

Classic is not fading  :thumb:
Keyboard is not only switch

Offline Doyniish

• Good you
    • Power Hour Playlists
I like the original font on the bottom right more than the 2. Nice pictures!