Author Topic: [IC] Lyra keyboard (March 1 to 22, 2020)  (Read 23827 times)

Offline alexbarb

[IC] Lyra keyboard (March 1 to 22, 2020)
« on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 06:14:23 »
GB is scheduled to start on March 1 to March 22!

Hello,

This is a prototype of the 60% Hot-swap keyboard with a pretty non-standard layout.
I first saw this layout in the CandyBar keyboard then I had an idea of doing something similar while adding a split spacebar
and adding a possibility to cut the numpad out (leaving only numerics, instead of alphas — it might be helpful for languages
with alphabets larger than standard English).

PCB was developed by KgOfHedgehogs and myself. Plate mounting is a little unusual as well. Unlike tray mount plate screws into the case instead of PCB.

There is a possibility to move case stand-offs to allow different layouts like left numpad (Beta) or ortholinear (Gamma) in the future.

The case is made out of CNC machined 7075 aluminum coated with Cerakote (prototype uses Cobalt H-112 color). Made in Europe.
The typing degree is 6°. Universal Black POM plate (prototype has a stainless steel plate). Plastic LED Light Guide Pipe. Size 338,5 × 104 × 27 mm (13.3 × 4 × 1.1 inch)

Alpha 58/62 MX Hot-Swap PCB Type-C Rev 1.0 (prototype has Rev 0.1). USB-C connection. Atmega 32u4. PCB protected from ESD with USBLC6-2SC6 chip. QMK Firmware. Kailh Hotswap sockets.

LED indicator modes are as follows: Num Lock ON — RGB. Num Lock OFF — Blue. Caps Lock ON — Red. 2 layers with color indication.

The total MOQ is 50. MOQ for each color is 10 5. You will be able to select a color in the IC form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17DFWghNsVKcxYEYmY0ga2phx48TVzHr4h-JB0C8fbzE

Cobalt H-112
Blue Titanium H-185
Polar Blue H-326
Pink Champagne H-311
Bright Purple H-217
Robin’s Egg Blue H-175
Zombie Green H-168
Corvette Yellow H-144
Prison Pink H-141
Smith & Wesson Red H-216

Price estimate is $250 plus shipping (TBD before the GB).

The current target timeline is to open in the second half of February. Shipping should then take place in June.

GB is scheduled to start on March 1 to March 22!. Shipping should then take place in June–July.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 March 2020, 09:24:26 by alexbarb »

Offline alexbarb

Re: [IC] Lyra keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 06:31:50 »
Reserved

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 06:33:07 »
You need a picture of this fully built from above, can’t really tell what’s going on without it. 

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 06:45:24 »
Oh man this is TRIPPY  :eek:

gimme

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 07:23:17 »
It'd be cool if LEDs indicated layers

Offline SantiGo

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 07:31:42 »
nice )  :thumb:

Offline equalunique

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 07:32:24 »
Ambitious design!

Offline FearsomeCubedWarrior

•  Post Reporting Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:16:49 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 19:32:39 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline KuroTheCrazy

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:26:52 »
Seems like a nicer candybar with more layout options, I like it. Left numpad option would definitely get me interested in one.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:32:22 »
Seems like a nicer candybar with more layout options, I like it. Left numpad option would definitely get me interested in one.
I'll second the left numpad

Offline Nigolski

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:37:36 »
very cool

Offline YellowHalo

• See You Starside
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:38:19 »

Plate mounting is a little unusual as well. Unlike tray mount plate screws into the case instead of PCB.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just bottom mount?

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:51:33 »

Plate mounting is a little unusual as well. Unlike tray mount plate screws into the case instead of PCB.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that just bottom mount?

Rather a hybrid )

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 08:57:55 »
Man. Now I'm just imagining this case but with 2 separate PCBs and a daughter board so you can make it left or right numpad...

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 09:09:43 »
Man. Now I'm just imagining this case but with 2 separate PCBs and a daughter board so you can make it left or right numpad...

Let's look at IC. If there will be a lot of people on the left nampad. Let's do this with this GB. I planned to develop a little later

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 09:18:30 »

Let's look at IC. If there will be a lot of people on the left nampad. Let's do this with this GB. I planned to develop a little later
You mean add the split PCB? That would definitely make this an awesomely unique keeb. I just got excited with how configurable the base layout was now, and thought it'd be cool if it was also southpaw configurable.

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 09:24:51 »
The case is designed for three options PCB

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 10:40:20 »
Show Image

Hello,

This is a prototype of the 60% Hot-swap keyboard with a pretty non-standard layout.
I first saw this layout in the CandyBar keyboard then I had an idea of doing something similar while adding a split spacebar
and adding a possibility to cut the numpad out (leaving only numerics, instead of alphas — it might be helpful for languages

PCB was developed by KgOfHedgehogs and myself. Plate mounting is a little unusual as well. Unlike tray mount plate screws into the case instead of PCB.

There is a possibility to move case stand-offs to allow different layouts like left numpad (Beta) or ortholinear (Gamma) in the future.

The case is made out of CNC machined 7075 aluminum coated with Cerakote (prototype uses Cobalt H-112 color). Made in EU.
The typing degree is 6°. Universal Black POM plate (prototype has a stainless steel plate). Plastic LED Light Guide Pipe.

Alpha 58/62 MX Hot-Swap PCB Type-C Rev 1.0 (prototype has Rev 0.1). USB-C connection. Atmega 32u4. PCB protected from ESD with USBLC6-2SC6 chip. QMK Firmware. Kailh Hotswap sockets.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

LED indicator modes are as follows: Num Lock ON — RGB. Num Lock OFF — Blue. Caps Lock ON — Red.

Show Image

The total MOQ is 50. MOQ for each color is 10. You will be able to select a color in the IC form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17DFWghNsVKcxYEYmY0ga2phx48TVzHr4h-JB0C8fbzE

Show Image

The current target timeline is to open in the second half of February. Shipping should then take place in June.

You're going to end up having more demand than supply

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 10:45:10 »
The case is designed for three options PCB

Yeah, no, I get that. I just meant for me personally I'd like to be able to experiment with southpaw or regular num pad. And when I go to eventually sell or pass on my board, the next person may like one or the other. So having that modularity by providing multiple split PCBs in a single build is unique they could take the same 2 halves of the PCB, and simply switch their location in the case, compared to having to just purchase multiple different PCBs. I totally realize I'm probably in the minority here, but for design I think it's an interesting concept.

I realize this increases complexity, and would require a daughterboard with controller that the other PCBs would have to interface with. But it's just something I thought up. don't expect you to implement it for this GB.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 10:50:09 by Zeelobby »

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 10:47:30 »
Show Image

Hello,

The case is made out of CNC machined 7075 aluminum coated with Cerakote (prototype uses Cobalt H-112 color). Made in EU.
The typing degree is 6°. Universal Black POM plate (prototype has a stainless steel plate). Plastic LED Light Guide Pipe.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

LED indicator modes are as follows: Num Lock ON — RGB. Num Lock OFF — Blue. Caps Lock ON — Red.

Show Image

The total MOQ is 50. MOQ for each color is 10. You will be able to select a color in the IC form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/17DFWghNsVKcxYEYmY0ga2phx48TVzHr4h-JB0C8fbzE

Show Image

You're going to end up having more demand than supply

PCB sketches are. Finish is not a problem;) The basic work has already been done

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 11:05:59 »
This keyboard is hype! MOQ 50 FCFS. Bless up, baby

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 11:19:00 »

What is the hype? With this PCB, everything is ready for production at this price and MOQ.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 11:23:18 »

What is the hype? With this PCB, everything is ready for production at this price and MOQ.

He/She meant it as a good thing. As in excitement. Not hype as in exaggerated.

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 11:39:25 »

He/She meant it as a good thing. As in excitement. Not hype as in exaggerated.
^^^^ this, as in, I/we are 'hyped up and excited' for this keyboard

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 11:48:15 »
 :thumb:

Offline olidavhay

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:11:11 »
I am poor but in love.

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:22:06 »
Yeah. This board honestly went to the top of my list. Love the design and possibilities.

Offline bakuretsu

« Reply #27 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:30:56 »
Is that right Shift 1.25U? Also, will the PCB support screw-mounted stabilizers?

The board looks great, by the way. And thank you for making it hotswap! From what I've seen, most interesting boards seem to be solder-only. I'm pretty new to the enthusiast side of things, though, so I was probably just late to the party for some good ones.

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:35:32 »
Is that right Shift 1.25U? Also, will the PCB support screw-mounted stabilizers?

The board looks great, by the way. And thank you for making it hotswap! From what I've seen, most interesting boards seem to be solder-only. I'm pretty new to the enthusiast side of things, though, so I was probably just late to the party for some good ones.

Only PCB support screw-mounted )
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:37:48 by alexbarb »

Offline Ahrimofnor

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:46:45 »
This is cute. Not sure how I feel about losing the dedicated math keys on the numpad.

What's the size of the case?

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 12:54:26 »
This is cute. Not sure how I feel about losing the dedicated math keys on the numpad.

What's the size of the case?

338,5 × 104 × 27 mm ( 13,3 × 4 × 1,1 inch)

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 13:27:58 »
it's a really cool concept, I'm interested but I'm not sure which layout I would find perfect... is it possible to add support for a 2u tall enter key in the bottom right? I don't think sculpted keycap sets are compatible otherwise. What would a left-hand numpad version look like?

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 06 February 2020, 13:39:10 »
it's a really cool concept, I'm interested but I'm not sure which layout I would find perfect... is it possible to add support for a 2u tall enter key in the bottom right? I don't think sculpted keycap sets are compatible otherwise. What would a left-hand numpad version look like?

Full nampad is provided as an option. But not as a basic layout. 2U tall enter key, unfortunately, cannot be installed without reworking the entire structure if you look at the mount
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 13:41:46 by alexbarb »

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 12:10:57 »

it will be added

Offline Zeelobby

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 12:38:52 »

it will be added
Too cool. This one's def on my radar.

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 13:44:09 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 19:32:44 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 14:08:35 »
If color options are real Cerakote, is it possible to provide specific Cerakote color code, like H-326Q for polar blue etc? I'm considering polar blue for GMK Godspeed for instance.

I strongly doubt that it will be possible to make all the declared colors. It is determined that with 10 positions for each color it is possible

Offline Jaltr

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 15:22:01 »
Interested

Offline jerrolds

• Discord "jerrolds | deskhero.ca#0379"
    • Deskhero.ca
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 15:37:32 »
Oh dang.. I had a similar kb layout in my head.. I will prob cop this :) do we know the length? Similar to TKL?

Edit nm dimensions in OP

Good work!
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 February 2020, 15:42:41 by jerrolds »

Offline bakuretsu

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 16:07:42 »
If color options are real Cerakote, is it possible to provide specific Cerakote color code, like H-326Q for polar blue etc? I'm considering polar blue for GMK Godspeed for instance.

The IC form has all the Cerakote color codes listed. I don't know why they aren't in the main post too, but here you go:

• Cobalt H-112
  • Blue Titanium H-185
  • Polar Blue H-326
  • Pink Champagne H-311
  • Bright Purple H-217
  • Robin’s Egg Blue H-175
  • Zombie Green H-168
  • Corvette Yellow H-144
  • Prison Pink H-141
  • Smith & Wesson Red H-216

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 22:06:13 »
IC form filled. Hope we can see renders of the board with different colors soon.  :thumb:

Offline CarlQs

« Reply #41 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 22:44:52 »
obligatory lefty numpad shill, looks cool though

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 00:04:46 »
This is pretty sleek. I'm definitely into this. Would you consider making a solderable PCB as well? I'd prefer that tbh

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 01:58:46 »
~
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 April 2024, 19:32:49 by FearsomeCubedWarrior »

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 03:55:17 »
The more i look at the layout options the more i cant decide what i think of the keyboard, it makes me feel strange things that make me intrigued so imma get it but god damn is it freaking me out. Especially the leftmost column  :confused: :eek: :confused:

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 04:53:39 »
The more i look at the layout options the more i cant decide what i think of the keyboard, it makes me feel strange things that make me intrigued so imma get it but god damn is it freaking me out. Especially the leftmost column  :confused: :eek: :confused:

what's bothering you? ask questions

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #46 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 05:43:52 »
How you only end up with rows, so esc ends up on the Q row, Tab on the A row, caps on the Z row and shift on the bottom row. Obv you can remap away caps for shift and then add back ctrl on the bottom row. Wont this mess with keycap support? Also the lack of ISO support bothers me some but i can deal with it, you would have to make it a little wider to support it(i think?) so i can see not supporting it.

Idk it really throws my brain for a loop just looking at it, im very interested in getting one but still it weirds me out :P

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #47 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 06:05:18 »
How you only end up with rows, so esc ends up on the Q row, Tab on the A row, caps on the Z row and shift on the bottom row. Obv you can remap away caps for shift and then add back ctrl on the bottom row. Wont this mess with keycap support? Also the lack of ISO support bothers me some but i can deal with it, you would have to make it a little wider to support it(i think?) so i can see not supporting it.

Idk it really throws my brain for a loop just looking at it, im very interested in getting one but still it weirds me out :P

This is the standard solution for 40% of keyboards. ISO is not possible here – hotswap

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #48 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 06:59:07 »

I think part of your confusion comes from not knowing what the symbols are supposed to represent. the ^ is the shift symbol, not caps lock, and the ^ is control, not shift. Of course you can remap everything but that's what the symbols in the layout picture are meant to be. The part left of the numpad would be supported by usual 40% keycap kits, I think. I'm myself not exactly sure how to populate the keys on the right.

Offline bananasplit_00

« Reply #49 on: Mon, 10 February 2020, 07:16:58 »

I think part of your confusion comes from not knowing what the symbols are supposed to represent. the ^ is the shift symbol, not caps lock, and the ^ is control, not shift. Of course you can remap everything but that's what the symbols in the layout picture are meant to be. The part left of the numpad would be supported by usual 40% keycap kits, I think. I'm myself not exactly sure how to populate the keys on the right.

hahaha neat, that does clear some confusion. Im really just going by the sizes :) Sorry for being a noooooob  ;D