Author Topic: [IC] Rare IBM, Cool Switch, Awesome Keyboard [PM FOR PURCHASE][NEW CONTROLLER]  (Read 39994 times)

Offline 127001

Okee dokee, so here is the deal:

So after talking with the seller he has said that he's willing to sell them for about $25 a piece if you contact him via email and pay via PayPal. This price does not included the cost of shipping. I have purchased one of the boards from him this way and will likely get the other missing part number from him in time.

PLEASE BE AWARE:
He doesn't double box them by default and it would only end up bringing up the shipping cost. There is really no reason for a second box in my opinion.

This guy has really gone out of his way to tell me about this product and has been nothing but helpful and very professional.

If you wish to purchase one of these boards please PM me and I will forward his contact info to you.

NEW CONTROLLER:

Just posted a bit more info on modding these using my controller code here :D

Okay, so I think that we may have found a supply of some pretty cool, weird IBM Keyboards. I'm making this to see if there would be any interest in the community and if people would be driven enough to make a converter for these.

Here is the keyboard:

They are, from what I understand, NIB:

Here is the connector:

It has vintage green linear alps with a 3.5mm travel (I did not take this photo, if you did please PM me):

I don't know if these are MX compatible or not. Not MX compatible apparently...

I think that this is just such a cool keyboard. I hope people have interest in this; they deserve love :P. Please let me know if you do.

EDIT:
I originally spotted them on reddit after someone found a few boxes really cheap at some surplus dealer (not ebay). I inquired about them since they haven't been seen before by keyboard aficionados (so to speak), noted vintage green alps, and left it at that for him to possibly decide on what to do with them. A week or two later though I found them on ebay as well, at which point the interested parties got samples, then everyone else via group buys and such :P

I'm almost wondering if they got any circulation at all, as all we're seeing are NIB examples..

http://deskthority.net/deskthority-awards-2012-f34/the-deskthority-award-2012-t4550.html#p87127
http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/ibm-5954339-t4564.html - apparently Soarer did the micro replacement test at some point and I didn't even know about it. Sneaky Soarerses!
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/chinese-ibm-keyboard-proxy-t4688.html group buy
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/chinese-ibm-keyboard-proxy-round-2-t4913.html another group buy

So looks like probably usable with a bit of work if Soarer can chime in on the progress. Feel is decent enough for a linear (I've tried better, but far rarer switches), but for me it's more of an IBM curio as I'm not a linear fan at all, and prefer buckling springs and such :D
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 January 2014, 20:05:45 by 127001 »

Offline regack

Re: [IC] Rare IBM, Cool Switch, Awesome Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 21:40:33 »
Is this the same as the thing you picked up on ebay the other day?  It looks really interesting...

Offline 127001

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 21:42:30 »
Is this the same as the thing you picked up on ebay the other day?  It looks really interesting...

It is. There are Chinese and Japanese version of these. There are two part numbers for the Japanese version; apparently they are identical however.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 21:42:39 »

I think so

Offline Parak

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 22:22:15 »
These have been around from the same seller a while back, with a group buy happening on DT. They're nice and interesting (I have one from back then), but I'd be hesitant to say that a converter is realistic as it hasn't really been done since a year+ ago. Basically the controller on this board is integrated on the matrix pcb, and it's highly unlikely that it sends up codes for all keys. So likely the only possibility is replacement of the main IC, which is questionable. That or replacing the entire PCB :(

Offline 127001

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 22:25:43 »
These have been around from the same seller a while back, with a group buy happening on DT. They're nice and interesting (I have one from back then), but I'd be hesitant to say that a converter is realistic as it hasn't really been done since a year+ ago. Basically the controller on this board is integrated on the matrix pcb, and it's highly unlikely that it sends up codes for all keys. So likely the only possibility is replacement of the main IC, which is questionable. That or replacing the entire PCB :(
This is great to know thank you. If you could direct us to any more information about the boards that would be great.

Offline Parak

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 23:11:50 »
I originally spotted them on reddit after someone found a few boxes really cheap at some surplus dealer (not ebay). I inquired about them since they haven't been seen before by keyboard aficionados (so to speak), noted vintage green alps, and left it at that for him to possibly decide on what to do with them. A week or two later though I found them on ebay as well, at which point the interested parties got samples, then everyone else via group buys and such :P

I'm almost wondering if they got any circulation at all, as all we're seeing are NIB examples..

http://deskthority.net/deskthority-awards-2012-f34/the-deskthority-award-2012-t4550.html#p87127
http://deskthority.net/photos-videos-f8/ibm-5954339-t4564.html - apparently Soarer did the micro replacement test at some point and I didn't even know about it. Sneaky Soarerses!
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/chinese-ibm-keyboard-proxy-t4688.html group buy
http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/chinese-ibm-keyboard-proxy-round-2-t4913.html another group buy

So looks like probably usable with a bit of work if Soarer can chime in on the progress. Feel is decent enough for a linear (I've tried better, but far rarer switches), but for me it's more of an IBM curio as I'm not a linear fan at all, and prefer buckling springs and such :D

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 23:24:32 »
I have two, such wonderful switches.
I've seen three different cap variants for them as well.

Offline 127001

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 23:26:57 »
Really excellent information. I've added to the OP.

Do you know if MX caps will work with these switches?

Offline Parak

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 December 2013, 23:37:05 »
Really excellent information. I've added to the OP.

Do you know if MX caps will work with these switches?

No. The mount is relatively unique to this switch, though there are similar ones.

Offline pasph

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 06:15:52 »
I have one and still waiting for a converter or some other trick...
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 07:43:21 »
I'd definitely want one of those if they were NIB and reasonably priced.

Offline RESPRiT

• HHKB = ❤
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 11:40:50 »
How do the switches feel?
;)

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 12:24:42 »
yes please

how much?
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline 127001

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 12:30:55 »
yes please

how much?
Not sure yet, depends on the number of people interested.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 12:35:58 »
I'm interested, pending on price.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline jabar

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 21:39:48 »
I am interested in maybe one Chinese and one Japanese if:

it's proxied to US (unlike the deskthority buy)
and the price is reasonable per
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline 127001

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 16:01:04 »
I am interested in maybe one Chinese and one Japanese if:

it's proxied to US (unlike the deskthority buy)
and the price is reasonable per

From what I understand these are located in the US.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 18:21:05 »
OP the there was a guy who was selling them in Chinese and Japan version keys for $17 + shipping, don't go overboard trying to double the investment on ur behalf.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 18:32:07 »
OP the there was a guy who was selling them in Chinese and Japan version keys for $17 + shipping, don't go overboard trying to double the investment on ur behalf.

where?

Offline 127001

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 18:37:14 »

I have no plans of making any money or even investing any money at all into this :P. I kinda just think it'd be cool if people got interested in these and a controller to make them usable got made.

The more people that have them the more likely that is to happen.

They just look so cool :D

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 18:41:19 »

I have no plans of making any money or even investing any money at all into this :P. I kinda just think it'd be cool if people got interested in these and a controller to make them usable got made.

They just look so cool :D

I don't see how you're going to do much better than what the guy is selling them for now.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-IBM-Chinese-Japanese-102-Key-Keyboard-Part-6341739-RARE-FIND-Look-/151198958294

He'll drop the price a bit once they stop selling, or he'll put up a listing with multiple items available for a lower price and dump a bunch that way.

While I think it's a rare keyboard, I don't think the rarity makes it that appealing unless you simply want to put it on a shelf.  I do like the look of the keys.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 18:49:51 »
I kinda just think it'd be cool if people got interested in these and a controller to make them usable got made.

It already did ;)

Offline 127001

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 21:20:14 »
I kinda just think it'd be cool if people got interested in these and a controller to make them usable got made.

It already did ;)

Oh that's really great :D

Offline 127001

« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 January 2014, 16:43:47 »
Okee Dokee, So I've just got a couple of these today and they really are just so strange...

The build quality is high enough but everything about it is just so different from all the other IBM boards I own. For instance, I feel like the body plastic is different, I have no means of proving this scientifically but it just sort of feels different when I touch it. These linear switches are a big change for me so I can't really form an opinion about them; I can't say I don't like them at least.

Other parts have me more baffled however. I don't quite understand the speaker, nevermind the volume control.

I really want to know when these were made... The case resembles that of those Model F's made for the baking industry but has features that were only found on the Model M's. On top of this there are the spherical key caps.

There are so many different time periods in this thing... I really like it.

Offline legodt

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 18:52:50 »
That connector looks very painful to adapt to USB

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #26 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 19:59:23 »
That connector looks very painful to adapt to USB

solder wires onto teensy

convert scancodes to USB protocol

profit?

Offline jabar

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 21:57:30 »
Have you floated the price point for a certain quantity to the vendor yet?
Leopold FC660C - Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 - Ducky DK9008 Shine II 78 Edition - Noppoo Choc Mini - Cherry G80-2100HDD - Cherry G80-8113HDPUS - Plu-M87 - Leopold FC700R Ergo Clears - Deck Legend Frost 105 - IBM F PC Keyboard - IBM M 122 (Lexmark) - Apple Extended Keyboard II

Phantom 7bit

Offline 127001

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 22:01:17 »
The last group buy was 50 a piece +shipping. I think US people can maybe get it for about 45 + shipping. No guarantees though. I repeat: no guarantees. I'm going to wait untill after the weekend to talk to the guy about organizing this. Hoping more people express interest.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 22:15:45 »
The last group buy was 50 a piece +shipping. I think US people can maybe get it for about 45 + shipping. No guarantees though. I repeat: no guarantees. I'm going to wait untill after the weekend to talk to the guy about organizing this. Hoping more people express interest.

The guy is selling them today in single units for $35 BIN + $15 shipping, or a $25 starting bid (which I'm guessing is your bid on his current auction).

Why would anymore pay more in a group buy?
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline 127001

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 03 January 2014, 22:19:25 »

The guy is selling them today in single units for $35 BIN + $15 shipping, or a $25 starting bid (which I'm guessing is your bid on his current auction).

Why would anymore pay more in a group buy?

I'm sorry I misspoke. From the convo's I've had it would be about the same at the BIN, perhaps cheaper. No guarantees about any of this though.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2014, 22:34:03 by 127001 »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 22:39:52 »
The DT GB price was only $25/each, which is a fantastic price (see if you can talk him down to that in bulk) and I am totally down for 1 (or more) of each (if funds permit).

these keyboards have 1 diode per switch! yet another reason I want 'em.

Having tried tee mount alps (linear) I really enjoy them for a linear switch, I dont know how well they wear, as my other KB is also NIB, but they're great now.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 04 January 2014, 22:46:34 »
If they're cheap like that, I'd probably be in, especially if we can get them working on PS/2 or USB.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 09:57:25 »
The DT GB price was only $25/each, which is a fantastic price (see if you can talk him down to that in bulk) and I am totally down for 1 (or more) of each (if funds permit).

these keyboards have 1 diode per switch! yet another reason I want 'em.

Having tried tee mount alps (linear) I really enjoy them for a linear switch, I dont know how well they wear, as my other KB is also NIB, but they're great now.

There was a Deskthority group buy? (how the hell did I miss that??)

I love the vintage tee mount ALPS. I've seen it in TRS-80 Model III and the good version of TI-99/4a.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 January 2014, 10:11:22 by mr_a500 »

Offline 127001

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 05 January 2014, 19:01:22 »
Okee dokee, so here is the deal:

So after talking with the seller he has said that he's willing to sell them for about $25 a piece if you contact him via email and pay via PayPal. This price does not included the cost of shipping. I have purchased one of the boards from him this way and will likely get the other missing part number from him in time.

PLEASE BE AWARE:
He doesn't double box them by default and it would only end up bringing up the shipping cost. There is really no reason for a second box in my opinion.

This guy has really gone out of his way to tell me about this product and has been nothing but helpful and very professional.

If you wish to purchase on of these boards please PM me and I will forward his contact info to you.

Offline dorkvader

Re: [IC] Rare IBM, Cool Switch, Awesome Keyboard [PURCHASE POSSIBLE]
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 01:31:51 »
Just ordered two, and I want to echo 127001's statement here. This person has been very nice throughout all me correspondence with him. He comes off immediately as being a great guy. I love doing business with such excellent people.

Offline mr_a500

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 05:05:50 »
Just ordered two, and I want to echo 127001's statement here. This person has been very nice throughout all me correspondence with him. He comes off immediately as being a great guy. I love doing business with such excellent people.

Yes, I agree. He was a pleasure to deal with - friendly and accommodating.

He appears to be the same seller for both the Deskthority group buys. It's a shame that they tried to get a partial refund on the second because he shipped in the original boxes. Most (normal) people would assume that a plain brown box isn't something collectible, so I can see why he might not think it a problem to ship without double boxing.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 15:17:20 »
I bought one as well. Guy is very polite, and sent me payment as soon as I told him it was ok to do so. Seems like he really cares about his customers.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 15:19:28 »
I bought one as well. Guy is very polite, and sent me payment as soon as I told him it was ok to do so. Seems like he really cares about his customers.

link to the ebay listing?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 07 January 2014, 15:25:44 »
read the OP

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 16:20:27 »

Yes, I agree. He was a pleasure to deal with - friendly and accommodating.

He appears to be the same seller for both the Deskthority group buys. It's a shame that they tried to get a partial refund on the second because he shipped in the original boxes. Most (normal) people would assume that a plain brown box isn't something collectible, so I can see why he might not think it a problem to ship without double boxing.

Completely agree with all the positive feedback for this seller; I ordered one in the Japanese layout on the 5th, and it was waiting for me at home today.  And the keyboard is pristine, even smells new when I opened the IBM box.  Probably hadn't been opened since it was boxed up after manufacture.  Amazing bit of history.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 16:22:10 »
What is the model number on yours, Tarzan?  Just confirming for myself "00" numpad models vs. "000" ones.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 16:47:39 »
What is the model number on yours, Tarzan?  Just confirming for myself "00" numpad models vs. "000" ones.

50365-0

The number pad has a 0 and 00.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 16:49:30 »
Cool, that confirms it.  # 6112883 has a double zero and # 6112884 - triple zero.  I saw that on a Deskthority thread first, evaluating photographs posted there, but more confirmation is good.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 17:33:27 »
Got mine. Has a 00 on the numpad.

My mom hates the way it sounds, but I quite like it.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 17:36:24 »
Ohh could someone post a video with how the switches sound while typing?  Sorry if there's already one somewhere and I've missed it.  I really love the look of this keyboard, and the price is more than reasonable.  Just having a hard time justifying the length.  I'd love to just chop off the cluster on the right side.

Also, another question.  I've read on DT that the keyboard is very pingy while typing.  Has anyone tried to line it with foam yet to see if it makes a good difference?
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 January 2014, 18:42:20 by Photoelectric »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 09 January 2014, 20:51:46 »
It's pingy as balls

I'll try and take it apart and do a foam mod this weekend if I'm not too occupied with my typewriter

And post a video

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 11:28:31 »
Ohh could someone post a video with how the switches sound while typing?  Sorry if there's already one somewhere and I've missed it.  I really love the look of this keyboard, and the price is more than reasonable.  Just having a hard time justifying the length.  I'd love to just chop off the cluster on the right side.

Also, another question.  I've read on DT that the keyboard is very pingy while typing.  Has anyone tried to line it with foam yet to see if it makes a good difference?

I can confirm the 00 as well, I have a chinese and a japanese one, and the japanese 6112883 has the 0 00 . on the keypad.

As to the sound: remember the model F sound, I think you tried one. It had that ringing sound while typing. This one is much much worse. Louder ping, and lasts for longer before dying out. I think its' a function of the resonance cavity created with the PCB, metal plate and the sides of the case. It's basically closed. I am not convinced putting foam under the pcb will help. You might have to desolder (and unscrew) the PCB from the plate and put a custom cut acrylic filler in there, or maybe a bunch of cotton balls or something.

I'll see about making a video with my phone tonight.

Other than the "ping" sound, it's almost linear (there's a tactile feel, but it's pretty slight: less than cherry brown)and sounds a lot like the hall effect keyboards, with that nice "thock" sound at top-out. I like it.

The spacebar appears to be reversible, but I was unsuccessful in getting the stabilizer inserts out. not a huge deal, as the bottom row is less "sharp" as it's meant for thumbs instead of fingers: IBM thought of everything, it seems.

I love these keyboards, and will be modding mine soon for everyday use.

Offline Tarzan

• * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 12:44:38 »

I can confirm the 00 as well, I have a chinese and a japanese one, and the japanese 6112883 has the 0 00 . on the keypad.

As to the sound: remember the model F sound, I think you tried one. It had that ringing sound while typing. This one is much much worse. Louder ping, and lasts for longer before dying out. I think its' a function of the resonance cavity created with the PCB, metal plate and the sides of the case. It's basically closed. I am not convinced putting foam under the pcb will help. You might have to desolder (and unscrew) the PCB from the plate and put a custom cut acrylic filler in there, or maybe a bunch of cotton balls or something.

I'll see about making a video with my phone tonight.

Other than the "ping" sound, it's almost linear (there's a tactile feel, but it's pretty slight: less than cherry brown)and sounds a lot like the hall effect keyboards, with that nice "thock" sound at top-out. I like it.

The spacebar appears to be reversible, but I was unsuccessful in getting the stabilizer inserts out. not a huge deal, as the bottom row is less "sharp" as it's meant for thumbs instead of fingers: IBM thought of everything, it seems.

I love these keyboards, and will be modding mine soon for everyday use.

It's my first keyboard that "sings," I really like it.  Like little bells, with a lingering tone...  makes me want to keep typing to keep it going.   ;D

Let me know how your modding efforts go, I've been looking at Soarer's thread and contemplating a slightly different approach (yeah, it's heresy, I know!).  It's almost a shame to tamper with the stock keyboard, but I'd rather use it than just stare at it on a shelf. 

Offline pasph

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 10 January 2014, 14:03:22 »
There's somewhere modding instructions?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"