Author Topic: [IC] The Matrix Novelty keycaps - ABS Double Shots...  (Read 26820 times)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
[IC] The Matrix Novelty keycaps - ABS Double Shots...
« on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 21:02:53 »
I am considering the next Group Buy. This one is simple, 4 novelty keycaps that feature objects from the first film (the only Matrix film that matters IMHO). The 2 - 1x1's will be DCS Family F Row and the 2 - 1x1.25 will be DCS Family Bottom Row Modifiers:

68957-0

All red and blue will be Polycarbonate, like Keypop's:

As for the Black and Green variant, they will be the same dimensions but will feature Glow in the Dark legends:

68961-1
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 June 2014, 22:57:28 by 00zeRO »
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
Re: [IC] The Matrix Novelty keycaps - ABS Double Shots...
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 21:10:37 »
Objects? Anything specific in mind?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 05 May 2014, 21:18:19 »
Objects? Anything specific in mind?

Red Pill
Blue Pill
White Rabbit
Spoon
EMP Switch
« Last Edit: Tue, 01 July 2014, 21:06:41 by 00zeRO »

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 10:12:11 »
Sounds interesting!

What will be the base color of the caps? White?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 May 2014, 13:36:28 »
Sounds interesting!

What will be the base color of the caps? White?

Black for all but maybe the EMP switch. It may either be Red Base, or White.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 20:09:42 »
I can tell from the overwhelming response that this keycap set may be a bust if I try to do a SP groupbuy. Can anyone tell me why? Is Matrix that old, or is there just no interest?

Offline anoxy

• Deal with it
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 20:13:44 »
To be honest, if you didn't tell me prior, I would have no idea that the caps had anything to do with The Matrix. I feel like it would take me a while to make the connection.

I mean, give me a Neo, Morpheus or Trinity face key and you've got a buyer though. Or an Agent Smith cap.

It could be your choice of colors? When I think of the Matrix, I think green.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 20:26:28 »
sp has these molds?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 20:46:37 »
sp has these molds?

They will when I'm done...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 20:47:40 »
To be honest, if you didn't tell me prior, I would have no idea that the caps had anything to do with The Matrix. I feel like it would take me a while to make the connection.

I mean, give me a Neo, Morpheus or Trinity face key and you've got a buyer though. Or an Agent Smith cap.

It could be your choice of colors? When I think of the Matrix, I think green.

Okay, so the keycaps I really want to see are the Blue Pill and Red Pill...the White Rabbit would be nice too...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 17:12:15 »
extremely interested. I don't know if pbt sublimation might be better. anyway tomorrow I'll send you some ideas if you are interested.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 17:20:16 »
I'd love to see the green on black with the digital rain but that's probably WAY to expensive to even consider.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 19:18:27 »
 I think that a glow in the dark doubleshot of the rabbit would be gnarly and rad, dude

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 20:21:20 »
I would be quite interested in these matrix keys. (and the impossible digital rain would be great)

How about taking the Simon Tam glasses from Firefly in a different colour here for a Morpheus thing, or squarer ones for the agents? Other thoughts: Telephones, important parts of the film, from mobiles to bakelite classics, etc, although hard to show as a 'matrix' phone on a key, I guess. How about a deja vu black cat to go with the rabbit? Red leather armchairs? Nm, enough brainstorming from me.
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 13:37:36 »
I would be quite interested in these matrix keys. (and the impossible digital rain would be great)

How about taking the Simon Tam glasses from Firefly in a different colour here for a Morpheus thing, or squarer ones for the agents? Other thoughts: Telephones, important parts of the film, from mobiles to bakelite classics, etc, although hard to show as a 'matrix' phone on a key, I guess. How about a deja vu black cat to go with the rabbit? Red leather armchairs? Nm, enough brainstorming from me.

I am wanting to keep it simple...lol. Working with the Firefly 'caps has made me cross-eyed...I definitely want to try to make these double shots because I want contrast, and not hedge myself into Light PBT keycaps with dark legends...

When I think of the Matrix, I think of Black background with Light contrasting...keeping it simple will likely only be White Rabbit, Red/Blue Pill, and thanks to you, a Deja Vu cat silhouette. Beyond that, the spoon would have been nice, but not necessary. After all "there is NO spoon." I would like to come up with a way to do the electronic rain, not sure how...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 18:00:13 »
Revitalizing this IC because the Firefly keycap GB's were a bust. So...

This one will likely only be for 6 keycaps:

Red Pill
Blue Pill
Bunny
Cat
Glow Bunny
Glow Cat

I will try to update the mock ups soon, so please give me input as to preferred keycap form: DSA, DCS, etc.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 20:44:09 »
What happened to the spoon?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 11 June 2014, 21:40:11 »

There is no spoon, remember?!

Seriously, I guess I could include a spoon keycap...so 7 in all! But no more, lol.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 00:43:10 »

There is no spoon, remember?!

Seriously, I guess I could include a spoon keycap...so 7 in all! But no more, lol.

Yeah, I remember, and giggled after I sent the post and thought about it for a second.

I only mentioned it as you showed a spoon in an earlier draft of the set.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:48:08 »
Kitty cat would have to be the F5 key. "see the page again. Looks mostly like the old page." "Like enough, to be the same page?"

Maybe blue pill on ESC, Red on Pause/Break (side note for the windows users: hit Windows+Break ... I just learned that one a few days ago. In Win7 that's the easiest page to rename your PC ... which I do a lot of, so ...)

If you've got an ANSI-150 layout, the EMP key as your windows key would make sense. Gaming, hit the red button, everything stops ... for a time.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 11:51:37 »
of course this should be the spoon

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 16:58:51 »
of course this should be the spoon

Show Image

Of course you realise that it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 17:13:32 »
of course you realize that there's actually no spoon.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 21:42:05 »
Sadly, unless I can get Matt3o's expertise to help me get the EMP keycap ready, I may not have that one in the set...I am trying to keep this one small and affordable so that maybe it will tip...these are the ideas i have for caps:

Definites:

Red Pill
Blue Pill
White Rabbit
Black Cat
White Rabbit (Glow-in-the-Dark Variant)

Maybe's:
EMP
Spoon
Bent Spoon

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 22:06:17 »
Kitty cat would have to be the F5 key. "see the page again. Looks mostly like the old page." "Like enough, to be the same page?"

Maybe blue pill on ESC, Red on Pause/Break (side note for the windows users: hit Windows+Break ... I just learned that one a few days ago. In Win7 that's the easiest page to rename your PC ... which I do a lot of, so ...)

If you've got an ANSI-150 layout, the EMP key as your windows key would make sense. Gaming, hit the red button, everything stops ... for a time.

I have updated the mock ups. Also, because of copyright infringement, I will need to come up with a name for this Group Buy. Yes, it will be PMK through SP, but we need to make a cool sounding title that says it all...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 12 June 2014, 22:43:23 »
No Spoon Collection?

Offline MrChunky

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 00:16:12 »
Maybe a different design for the bent spoon? At the moment I wouldn't be able to tell off the bat what it is. Maybe something like this:

if the degree of detail permits DS. Or maybe leave only one bend if we need to simplify it.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 01:57:31 »
This might be EMP

but I'm afraid it is still too detailed

also, 1 rabbit is more than enough :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #28 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 02:00:06 »
this could be funny

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 02:18:22 »
More experiments.

An alternative take at the deja-vu cat and something that reminds the matrix rain

and of course we need a "101" and a "303" keys (PS: text only legends are cheaper!)

Offline MrChunky

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 03:33:50 »
The portal cat looks cool  :)) I like it.

Also how about translucent pills? I know there were problems with translucent DS text because it was difficult to read, but if its just a round/ oval pill it could work well and will look awesome on backlit keyboards.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 03:36:20 by MrChunky »

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 03:54:46 »
even though it's not properly "matrix" I would do the pill like this

white on blue polycarbonate and white on red polycarbonate are nice ideas

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #32 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:42:56 »
This might be EMP

Show Image

So, one glow in the dark rabbit instead of white, or should I ditch glow in the dark altogether...?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:44:30 »

Show Image

too much like Dr. Mario...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #34 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:45:03 »
This might be EMP

Show Image

More experiments.

An alternative take at the deja-vu cat and something that reminds the matrix rain

Show Image

and of course we need a "101" and a "303" keys (PS: text only legends are cheaper!)

Awesome!

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 08:46:22 »
I think there will be no spoon...it is kinda goofy looking. I may just have a blank keycap available to say 'there is NO spoon' lol

Offline Jumpingmanjim

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 09:48:05 »
A full keyset with matrix glyphs would be incredible.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:06:10 »

I would hit that :)

Offline MTManiac

• can't is the cancer of happen
« Reply #38 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:11:23 »

I would hit that :)

I would also hit that  :))

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:29:25 »

Show Image

That design is more unmistakably a pill.

Also, what about making the backspace into Neo bending over backwards, and do a Nyan-cat keycap sort of thing with the numbers row, replacing them with bullets?
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:31:06 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:30:44 »
Even though it's not exactly the matrix pill, in double should I believe my design is better recognizable than a... well... ellipse.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:38:44 »
Matrix-Nyan Cat Idea - graphically portrayed.

67892-0

Please don't make fun of my Photoshop skills, ok? I worked really hard on this.

Oo, also -- three keycaps, one with the silhouette of a redhead, a blonde and a brunette -- cause that's all I see now.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:40:43 by Krogenar »
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:43:09 »
Needs two cat caps.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 10:57:02 »
ESC should read: "dodge this"

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 11:00:18 »

If that happens, then I'd recommend doing them in glow-in-the-dark on black.  :thumb:

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 11:01:28 »

If that happens, then I'd recommend doing them in glow-in-the-dark on black.  :thumb:

sublimated would be the only option

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:36:25 »
ESC should read: "dodge this"

Cool...

Matrix-Nyan Cat Idea - graphically portrayed.

(Attachment Link)

Please don't make fun of my Photoshop skills, ok? I worked really hard on this.

Oo, also -- three keycaps, one with the silhouette of a redhead, a blonde and a brunette -- cause that's all I see now.

Okay, so I made the pills look more like the pills in the movie, they are gel caps after all...I guess it would be up for debate...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 12:43:47 »
wondering if a stylized neural connector would work

Offline admiralvorian

• DIY
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 14:27:35 »
I think maybe some chopped hiragana doubleshot neon green on black?

Matt3o,

The EMP design you made is cool, could we do a cap with just two of the lightning bolts?
Darude Status:
☐ Not Sandstorm
☑ Sandstorm                                               wts wtt wtb

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #49 on: Fri, 13 June 2014, 21:54:58 »
I'd love to see the green on black with the digital rain but that's probably WAY to expensive to even consider.

Actually, I think I have figured out a way to do it inexpensively. Stay tuned!

Offline Jumpingmanjim

« Reply #50 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 04:23:38 »
There are some matrix glyph fonts on google that we could use. Does anyone know the program that people use to mockup key sets, if so I could make one for a Matrix glyph layout.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 14 June 2014, 04:26:52 »
you can't 2-shot a full keyboard with custom legends. It would end up costing you way too much.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 19:25:59 »
Okay, so I managed to get my hands on these pics...

68278-0
(without backlighting during daylight)

And then...

68280-1
(with backlighting)

I like the gritty nature of the legends myself and I think that it would be cool to offer them in this way as an electric rain variant to the normal novelty set. Please weigh in on this...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 19:32:07 »
Okay, so I managed to get my hands on these pics...

(Attachment Link)
(without backlighting during daylight)

And then...

(Attachment Link)
(with backlighting)

I like the gritty nature of the legends myself and I think that it would be cool to offer them in this way as an electric rain variant to the normal novelty set. Please weigh in on this...

Ooh I recognise where those are from!

They could look best with green backlighting, being a Matrix theme and everything.

Might have to take my green backlit keyboard back from the guy who is borrowing it :))

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 20:20:10 »

Show Image

You want proper pills...? I got proper pills:

68285-0

What do you think?

And this is what they would look like in PolyCarb with White Legends:

68303-1

Here is a green PolyCarb with a Black legend just for fun...

68311-2
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 June 2014, 21:59:31 by 00zeRO »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 17 June 2014, 21:42:51 »
I like the polycarb ones :)

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 18 June 2014, 00:43:19 »
the dark PC caps are not very much readable...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 19 June 2014, 20:04:59 »
New mock up image available thanks to Matt3o. This one is good to go and has gotten the SP all clear for Double-Shootability...

As I finish each one and get the okay, I will post each final keycap mock up.

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 10:42:32 »
Love it, major Matrix fan over here :)

Dont forget about the lady in red!
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 10:44:31 »
Love it, major Matrix fan over here :)

Dont forget about the lady in red!

Maybe...I'm thinking a Red Stiletto

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 10:46:44 »
I can't believe it was 1999... it seems like yesterday...

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 11:45:22 »
What happened to the white rabbit :3

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 12:02:10 »
What happened to the white rabbit :3

There will be a white rabbit, but I will not post the final mockups until SP tells me they are good to go. I don't want to get anyone's hopes about certain designs. I will post it just as soon as I get the nod...

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 12:32:47 »
c'mon zero, make us dream.

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 12:44:35 »
I can't believe it was 1999... it seems like yesterday...

Show Image

Don't tell me you are a comic book fan :D Stuart's work is fantastic,I must read again some of his works.

OT: I'm curious how the Matrix caps will look in the final mockup, it's an interesting project
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #65 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 13:00:07 »
Don't tell me you are a comic book fan :D Stuart's work is fantastic,I must read again some of his works.

indeed I am :) I'm not a comic book freak but I love selected works of selected artists (sin city, v for vendetta, moebius, ...)

if zero is not going to do a full set, I might even consider a Matrix set...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 13:06:59 »

indeed I am :) I'm not a comic book freak but I love selected works of selected artists (sin city, v for vendetta, moebius, ...)

if zero is not going to do a full set, I might even consider a Matrix set...

Please do...I would rather just do novelty sets...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 13:07:48 »
Matt3o is a full set mastah

Offline DanielT

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #68 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 14:25:52 »
I have already seen that ;)
Semnătura lu’ pește prăjit ....

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #69 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:05:26 »
Just posted final mock ups! I have included three, count them three Geek Hack keycaps. Question: If I make all these keycaps available in one Parent group buy, will we be able to pull off selling 50 of them? If so, the price almost halves...

I need suggestions on how to section this Group Buy up, if necessary.

Also, is three Geek Hack keycaps too many?

Please note: All Red, Blue, and Green you see will be Poly Carbonate Transparent plastic. Black and white will be standard ABS.

« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 14:22:35 by 00zeRO »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #70 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 15:48:23 »

No. You can never have enough Geek Hack keys.  :))

The set looks really nice. Are you going to do this as all one set?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #71 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 16:52:10 »

Should I? The cost for them all at once is steep until we sell 50...then it goes to half...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 16:53:52 »

If you could cull this thing back even further what would you get rid of to make it more affordable?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:13:24 »
I am beginning to think I have too many pills...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:17:03 »
I'm not an expert my any means, but the only way I can think of making it more affordable is by dropping a few keys. GEEK HACK keys and Modifiers might be the one's to drop, but folks like matt3o would probably have much more insight than me.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #75 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:18:09 »
I'm not an expert my any means, but the only way I can think of making it more affordable is by dropping a few keys. GEEK HACK keys and Modifiers might be the one's to drop, but folks like matt3o would probably have much more insight than me.

If you could pick only one geekhack key, which would you want?

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #76 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:18:23 »
It might work just fine as is. The logical way to split it up (which might not match the way potential collectors are looking at this set when it goes "live") is: mammalian keys in one set, pills (all of them) in another, and GH keys in their own set. Maybe you could mark up the individual sets twenty five cents per key unless they're purchased as the whole set ... that would be reasonable for those who just want more GH keys, and also encourage the fence-riders to push them all over the 50-copy tipping point.

edit: my $0.02: I'd drop the white pills & GH first. All three -- there are precious few polycarbonate keys, but white backgrounds with colors, even in an uncommon plastic, don't shout "hey buy me I'm new" like glow in the dark green.
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:21:19 by AKmalamute »

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:20:25 »
Personally I like the green on black, especially if it is going to be a bright green.

Like mashby says, you cannot have enough GH keys :)

As long as the red and blue pill keys are 1.25x, you could probably drop the other white/red/blue 1x pills.

Gotta keep the white rabbit!  But maybe drop the black cat, if you have to (whilst retaining the green one).

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:24:51 »
As an alternative theory... having the GH keys mixed in might help boost sales? I don't know how many people collect them like I do, so I can't say so definitely.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #79 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:28:19 »
Personally I like the green on black, especially if it is going to be a bright green.

Like mashby says, you cannot have enough GH keys :)

As long as the red and blue pill keys are 1.25x, you could probably drop the other white/red/blue 1x pills.

Gotta keep the white rabbit!  But maybe drop the black cat, if you have to (whilst retaining the green one).

I have to tell you that the Green is not bright green, it is translucent Polycarbonate for gritty backlighting...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #80 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 19:45:30 »
See the updated mocks section:

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=57916.0

Offline strafe

• Strafe's Blog
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 01:08:11 »
I hope the poly on black works out ok. It's very difficult to see the poly on black bumblebee caps without backlighting.

It would be awesome if you could do translucent green on black keycaps.
Freebird WKL (Blacks Clear-Tops), iKBC F-104 (Blacks) and more!

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #82 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 13:02:15 »
I hope the poly on black works out ok. It's very difficult to see the poly on black bumblebee caps without backlighting.

It would be awesome if you could do translucent green on black keycaps.

Okay, so changing yet again...waiting for SP to okay my current pitch. I am scaling this thing way back and changing to something more readable.

Stay tuned!

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #83 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 18:12:31 »
I am considering the next Group Buy. This one is simple, a few novelty keycaps that feature objects from the first film (the only one that matters IMHO). They will be DCS F Row ABS Double Shots and two modifiers 1x1.25 Poly Carbonate Pills:

[Mockups enabled!]

(Attachment Link)

All red and blue will be Polycarbonate, like Keypop's:

Show Image

Show Image

If you could pick one legend you would not like to see in the set, which would it be? I need to shave off one more legend to make this thing affordable for everyone.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 18:17:50 »
I'm a fan of green on black, but I like the white on red EMP, maybe the green on black EMP could go?

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #85 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 18:20:01 »
I'm a fan of green on black, but I like the white on red EMP, maybe the green on black EMP could go?

It would need to apply to both sets. So, no EMP in Glow in the dark and black, no EMP for PCRed with white. I like the EMP...

I would change the blue and red to the same legend instead of mirror images, but I don't want to cheapen the look. I like that they are opposites.

Decisions...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 18:27:18 »
Kill the cat. Bring him back in the second series.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 18:52:37 »

+1

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 19:02:45 »

+1

So harsh...well that was Matt3o's design. He was talking of doing a Matrix theme at some point anyway, maybe I will just let him retain the right to it and drop it from this set.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 23:00:16 »
Okay. The set is done. It ain't much, but it should fetch a fair price even in the beginning. Think we can sell 50 of these bad boys?

On to the title of this GB. I am thinking 'Mainframe Dream Prison'

Offline MrChunky

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 03:14:57 »
I was thinking something like "The Way Out" or "Unplugged".

My reasoning here is that since we finally have rabbit, pills and EMP, it represents the the whole way. From idea (following the rabbit) to the decision (the pills), and finally to action (EMP). So I actually I like the first one "The way out" better, but it might be a bit too philosophical  :rolleyes:

Offline mer

• Purple Ghost Software, Inc.
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 08:40:17 »
Ok, I had to do it. I just did a quick mockup of a TKL Matrix set using the Matrix font at dafont.com.

68982-0
WASD V2 87-Key MX Greens
Profile pic is "Geek Hack" in Gallifreyan

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 08:45:38 »
I totally need to work on a matrix layout...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 08:50:57 »

Yes. Yes you do.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 08:58:48 »

Yes. Yes you do.

please help with reference material

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:26:39 »
I was thinking something like "The Way Out" or "Unplugged".

My reasoning here is that since we finally have rabbit, pills and EMP, it represents the the whole way. From idea (following the rabbit) to the decision (the pills), and finally to action (EMP). So I actually I like the first one "The way out" better, but it might be a bit too philosophical  :rolleyes:

How about 'There's No Spoon: The Novelty Keycap Set for the Digitally Unplugged'

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:32:56 »
Simply "There is No Spoon" would be perfect.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:34:52 »
Simply "There is No Spoon" would be perfect.

Do you think that people will get the reference right away?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:38:10 »
I find it a quite subtle title, especially because there's not actually a spoon key. I don't think the title alone would influence sales anyway.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:39:41 »
I find it a quite subtle title, especially because there's not actually a spoon key. I don't think the title alone would influence sales anyway.

I need to come up with a cool banner like yours...did you do it yourself?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 09:54:23 »

I did... would you like one-------

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:09:38 »

I did... would you like one-------

Well, sure. Also, I plan on giving you credit for your input when I do the write up for this GB. The EMP design was orignally yours, I just tweaked it. Plus, you have added to my ideas significantly. I would totally be interested in a snazzy banner for There is No Spoon...

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 10:48:39 »
please help with reference material

I'll see if I can get some time this weekend to work on it.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 11:00:34 »
Very quickly sorry

PS: no need for the credits, I just participated into the IC

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 11:20:05 »
Very quickly sorry

Show Image

PS: no need for the credits, I just participated into the IC

In the words of Keanu, 'Whoa!'

Offline JoshMK

• * Commercial Vendor
  • MechanicalKeyboards.com
    • MechanicalKeyboards
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 11:35:21 »
Josh McConnell
MechanicalKeyboards.com
Josh@mechanicalkeyboards.com
615.266.1420 ext303

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 11:37:40 »

Offline Data

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:11:04 »
Ok, I had to do it. I just did a quick mockup of a TKL Matrix set using the Matrix font at dafont.com.

(Attachment Link)

I'm throwing money at the screen.  Let me know when it's enough.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #108 on: Fri, 27 June 2014, 15:41:41 »
Just got word that the GB should go live Wednesday of next week.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 10:31:34 »
Tick tock, tick tock...I hope the white rabbit isn't late for this very important date.

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 13:03:16 »
Okay, so the initial PMK group buy was a bust. Should I relaunch it now but with only the Pills keycaps? Or should I wait and relaunch later? Input, please!?

:confused:

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 14:08:37 »
Okay, so the initial PMK group buy was a bust. Should I relaunch it now but with only the Pills keycaps? Or should I wait and relaunch later? Input, please!?

I think the only viable way to run a novelty GB is to combine all of your designs!

If the total price is attractive, people will buy the set even if they only liked 75% of the keycaps.

In my opinion you should chose a high tier so nobody is afraid to commit. Either they get the keys for a good price (~3$) or the GB fails.

I think it's worth trying it that way  :thumb:

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 15:34:29 »

I think the only viable way to run a novelty GB is to combine all of your designs!

If the total price is attractive, people will buy the set even if they only liked 75% of the keycaps.

In my opinion you should chose a high tier so nobody is afraid to commit. Either they get the keys for a good price (~3$) or the GB fails.

I think it's worth trying it that way  :thumb:

So, 100 MOQ? I dunno...50 would keep them at $9.00 for the two PC keycaps...seems reasonable...

Offline Data

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:07:17 »
I was only interested in the glowy keys.  $13 for the set of 4 seemed perfectly reasonable to me.  I liked them all.

Sucks that it didn't tip.

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 16:14:28 »
I wanted the rabbit more than I wanted the pills. Also my keyboard is ANSI150 so I'd have to put the 1.25 keys somewhere odd ... or more likely on my ergodox.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 21:36:24 »
I was only interested in the glowy keys.  $13 for the set of 4 seemed perfectly reasonable to me.  I liked them all.

Sucks that it didn't tip.

Fortunately the glowing one didn't tip, I would have had to shell out the $45 dollars per legend ($180.00) in order for the set to be made. That cost is put into the first 25 which was why the parent deal was so much. All my future GB's will be separate parent deals.

I wanted the rabbit more than I wanted the pills. Also my keyboard is ANSI150 so I'd have to put the 1.25 keys somewhere odd ... or more likely on my ergodox.

What size would have been good for your modifiers on your ANSI150? 1x1.5?

Also, I am thinking of running the group buy again now, but this time having a single Rabbit key by itself with a glowing variant with it, the Red and Blue pills in 1x1.25 PC, and then a version of Red and Blue pills in 1x1 Red and Blue ABS. Like how they did the banner keycaps below:

73636-0

Though I am not sure I want the same profile...maybe Row 4 DCS 1x1...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 07 August 2014, 19:15:09 »

I have a new interest check up on the PMK website just for you:

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/there-is-no-spoon-keycaps-inspired-by-the-matrix-white-rabbit-set/

I will be posted another one for the Red/Blue Pill soon...

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 15:40:56 »

I have a new interest check up on the PMK website just for you:

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/there-is-no-spoon-keycaps-inspired-by-the-matrix-white-rabbit-set/

I will be posted another one for the Red/Blue Pill soon...

Blue/Red Pill set up for interest check, below:

http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/there-is-no-spoon-keycaps-inspired-by-the-matrix-blue-and-red-pill-set/

Offline 00zeRO

• * Commercial Vendor
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #118 on: Sun, 26 October 2014, 14:33:14 »
After PMK now has a limitation on the amount of votes before an IC can go live as a GB, I have been in talks with Keypop, and well, all the designs that were from the Matrix busted Group Buy on PMK will soon be available through Keypop on their website!
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 November 2014, 13:39:27 by 00zeRO »