Author Topic: [IC] XT60  (Read 18610 times)

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
[IC] XT60
« on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 15:11:51 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 May 2019, 13:21:16 by xondat »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Re: [IC] XT60 - A British 60% Case
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 15:46:56 »
You've come a long way in a short amount of time. Eager to see how this turns out.  :thumb:

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 17:49:05 »
This is really cool ! Really love how far you have come in short time. That is also a very stright timeline haha.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 24 December 2015, 19:58:37 »
Filed out the IC form. Can't wait for this to be a thing!

Offline Pwner

• * Maker
  • soon™
    • Ion Keyboards
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 13:19:56 »
I've held off on the TEX acrylic myself as I'd prefer a clear case so this sounds perfect.  Filled out the form and hoping this happens.
Ion | Keycult | Instagram

Offline braidn

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 15:11:13 »
Form filled out. Excited

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 17:06:44 »
Cautiously following. So far it looks good, just waiting to see how it turns out and compares to other cases  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline ccarlitos2

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 23:00:42 »
Form filled out!!! Good luck! I'm curious as to how this turns out.
HHKB Pro 1| Poker 2(MX Browns)| Leopold FC200R (MX Blue)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Yup, that tasted purple" -Lulu

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/138889771@N05/

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 25 December 2015, 23:01:23 »
I'm afraid of this being expensive to Canada because our currency is ****, in another continent, and gbp is so expensive :'( a shame. gonna fill out form anyway
I love Elzy

Offline cryptokey

• * Destiny Supporter
  • [°°▄°] luser-friendly
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 00:36:09 »
I'm afraid of this being expensive to Canada because our currency is ****, in another continent, and gbp is so expensive :'( a shame. gonna fill out form anyway

I feel your pain. :'(
More

[WTB] HHKB Black

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 13:33:43 »
The pcb needs to be supported, do i think that the case needs "fins" and some sort of electrical insulation, like the pok3r do.

Your picture:

http://i.imgur.com/0ps9Tnu.png

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 26 December 2015, 22:52:11 »
The pcb needs to be supported, do i think that the case needs "fins" and some sort of electrical insulation, like the pok3r do.

Your picture:

Show Image

If it's going to be made out of acrylic then it shouldn't need insulation at all. The reason why the Pok3r does is because it has a cast aluminum case.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 01:47:42 »

Your picture:

Show Image

If it's going to be made out of acrylic then it shouldn't need insulation at all. The reason why the Pok3r does is because it has a cast aluminum case.
I thought that it was aluminium... :-)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 01:50:29 »

Your picture:

Show Image

The PCB doesn't need a support like that.  Your plate provides rigidity.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 15:53:51 »

Your picture:

Show Image

There are many more benefits than drawbacks when not using fins. A few points to be made would be aesthetics are nicer; the plate supports the PCB; it makes the CNC/CAD file more complicated; and the fins would make the light distribution on the acrylic version distorted. Also, many other cases don't have fins, such as the Hammer, Viper/Eagle, and Lambo. I hope I explained that in enough detail for you! :p

It's being made out of both acrylic and aluminium, but I don't want to change the design for either so it's worth just having one file rather than two. It would also make making future changes a pain in the ass.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 17:21:59 »

Your picture:

Show Image

There are many more benefits than drawbacks when not using fins. A few points to be made would be aesthetics are nicer; the plate supports the PCB; it makes the CNC/CAD file more complicated; and the fins would make the light distribution on the acrylic version distorted. Also, many other cases don't have fins, such as the Hammer, Viper/Eagle, and Lambo. I hope I explained that in enough detail for you! :p

It's being made out of both acrylic and aluminium, but I don't want to change the design for either so it's worth just having one file rather than two. It would also make making future changes a pain in the ass.

If you can get this in a aluminum, depending on the anodization, I would be very much interested. I do prefer two piece designs better where the pcb & plate are screwed in the top but I'm afraid that would add too much cost for what you are trying to achieve.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 18:12:34 »

Your picture:

Show Image

If you can get this in a aluminum, depending on the anodization, I would be very much interested. I do prefer two piece designs better where the pcb & plate are screwed in the top but I'm afraid that would add too much cost for what you are trying to achieve.

Aluminum is currently the most demanded material so far, 4 colors also seem to stand out. Do you have an example of what you mean by the two piece design? Do you mean to sell a plate/PCB with the case like the TGR-Jane or Octagon?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 18:18:04 »

Your picture:

Show Image

Aluminum is currently the most demanded material so far, 4 colors also seem to stand out. Do you have an example of what you mean by the two piece design? Do you mean to sell a plate/PCB with the case like the TGR-Jane or Octagon?

Yeah I like how Duck and Yuktsi have designed their cases where it's possible to change the bottom half of the case whether it's acrylic, aluminum, or flat acrylic. I guess it would not feasible unless you make a plate for it as well because the screw points would have to be on the outermost part of the plate. By allowing the plate to be attached to the top of the case it allows to give a different pitch and feel to the switches. If it was possible then people could then opt for an aluminum top with an acrylic bottom.

Here is an example of the TGR plate:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 18:33:24 »

Your picture:

Show Image

Yeah I like how Duck and Yuktsi have designed their cases where it's possible to change the bottom half of the case whether it's acrylic, aluminum, or flat acrylic. I guess it would not feasible unless you make a plate for it as well because the screw points would have to be on the outermost part of the plate. By allowing the plate to be attached to the top of the case it allows to give a different pitch and feel to the switches. If it was possible then people could then opt for an aluminum top with an acrylic bottom.

Here is an example of the TGR plate:
Show Image

It isn't really an option for 60/75% cases from my experience. You'd have the base layer, the plate and then essentially a rectangle piece that screws on top. It makes the case from 1 piece to 3 pieces; whether it's worth it for a different pitch and feel would be a split argument in my opinion. I can't think of a sensible option for a 60% two piece case, so that you could have acrylic for 1 layer and aluminum for the other. The only way would be having the base and the edges separate. It isn't good any other way as the screws wouldn't be flush for the top or bottom piece as the angles are different. It would require a different design that some may like but will be a different looking and feeling case.

It's worth the consideration with TKLs, as you need to have two pieces anyway (to get the PCB etc inside) so it's a lot easier. I'll definitely look into the option if I start designing other sized cases, which I am absolutely interested in.

How is the PCB attached to the plate for the TGR, is it through only the stabs? That's all the information I can get from that picture right now...

Offline trenzafeeds

• * Exquisite Elder
  • **** off
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 19:03:02 »
Looks nice, I could honestly go for a more unique looking design, but the work you've done is cool.
demik will never leave.

Unless he gets banned.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 19:09:07 »
Submitted one!

Excited for this!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 27 December 2015, 20:07:34 »
It isn't really an option for 60/75% cases from my experience. You'd have the base layer, the plate and then essentially a rectangle piece that screws on top. It makes the case from 1 piece to 3 pieces; whether it's worth it for a different pitch and feel would be a split argument in my opinion. I can't think of a sensible option for a 60% two piece case, so that you could have acrylic for 1 layer and aluminum for the other. The only way would be having the base and the edges separate. It isn't good any other way as the screws wouldn't be flush for the top or bottom piece as the angles are different. It would require a different design that some may like but will be a different looking and feeling case.

It's worth the consideration with TKLs, as you need to have two pieces anyway (to get the PCB etc inside) so it's a lot easier. I'll definitely look into the option if I start designing other sized cases, which I am absolutely interested in.

How is the PCB attached to the plate for the TGR, is it through only the stabs? That's all the information I can get from that picture right now...

It's actually quite feasible for any keyboard layout, after all Duck is planning on the two piece design for the Octagon v2. All that the design would be is that the plate would be screwed into the top piece from underneath(that way no screws are shown), and then the same for the bottom half of the case but would just require longer screws. The only way to see any sort of screw holes were if you flipped the case over and looked at it from it's underside. It shares some similarities to the Orion v2.

I'm not asking you to make it this way, all I was saying is that I prefer that method.

The plate and PCB will be attached once you solder in all the switches, just like any other keyboard I've ever made. The stabs do not hold it down at all.

Edit: Late edit but I felt some of my wording was more of an accusation than an observation.
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 January 2016, 17:04:12 by Steezus »

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #22 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 19:23:02 »
UPDATE 1 12/28/2015

The design of the case was completed a while ago, but that doesn't mean that the model was. Ramage, MiTo and I have been furiously working past design issues and flaws collectively the past couple of nights, trying to make sense of the benefits and disadvantages in the model. It isn't acceptable to have any flaws in a case that you take pride in so things have to change. There have been a few minor changes, such as the wrong positioning of the standoffs has now been corrected; the USB hole has changed position and dimensions, to accommodate for the new measurements we have; the logo was added to the back side of the case; and finally the internal walls have changed size, as the maximum height of the case is 25mm. The design will not be changing, unless there is a serious problem that requires a complete redo of the design, which is unlikely but will have to consider when I get the acrylic prototypes. It took us over 2 hours to figure out how to have the walls at the correct height, so taking everything else into consideration really puts it into perspective. We also added the logo to the back of the case, as mentioned previously, which I think looks classy & minimalistic but discrete - let me know what you think on this one. Rampage is also able to create some renders of the almost finished design, so without further ado, here they are:

More

Now onto the current statistics from the interest check. There have been 27 responses over a period of 4 days, which I find really impressive and I'm glad that people are taking interest in this project. The main numbers so far are the numbers for the choice of material: 20 for aluminum, 8 for clear acrylic and 13 for frosted acrylic. So the clear choice here is aluminum, which is good as I feel like this might be my preferred option as this project moves on. The colors for aluminum are also mildly interesting, with 15 votes for stock; 10 for black & zealios purple; 7 for blue; 4 for green and red; 3 for orange and 4 for other section; which includes pink, gray and titanium. This leaves 4 distinct colors so far; stock, blue, black & purple. The top 3/4 finishes will be the ones that are made, so this part is essential to the research that needs to be done.

I'm aiming for a total of 100 responses before I move on any further with anything, so if the progression is linear then expect movement in two weeks. I doubt it'll carry on like this though!

The feedback I've had so far has been helpful as well, and has been taken into consideration which any changes. Something that came up would be to round the exterior corners - they will be rounded as this is available as a finishing option with the companies I am dealing with. However, most people are off work until the 4th of January, so quotes and communication are near impossible until then.

Another update will follow soon, when I receive the prototype cases. Thanks everyone.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 December 2015, 11:20:46 by xondat »

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 December 2015, 20:54:49 »
UPDATE 1 12/28/2015

The design of the case was completed a while ago, but that doesn't mean that the model was. Rampage, MiTo and I have been furiously working past design issues and flaws collectively the past couple of nights, trying to make sense of the benefits and disadvantages in the model. It isn't acceptable to have any flaws in a case that you take pride in so things have to change. There have been a few minor changes, such as the wrong positioning of the standoffs has now been corrected; the USB hole has changed position and dimensions, to accommodate for the new measurements we have; the logo was added to the back side of the case; and finally the internal walls have changed size, as the maximum height of the case is 25mm. The design will not be changing, unless there is a serious problem that requires a complete redo of the design, which is unlikely but will have to consider when I get the acrylic prototypes. It took us over 2 hours to figure out how to have the walls at the correct height, so taking everything else into consideration really puts it into perspective. We also added the logo to the back of the case, as mentioned previously, which I think looks classy & minimalistic but discrete - let me know what you think on this one. Rampage is also able to create some renders of the almost finished design, so without further ado, here they are:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

More
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Now onto the current statistics from the interest check. There have been 27 responses over a period of 4 days, which I find really impressive and I'm glad that people are taking interest in this project. The main numbers so far are the numbers for the choice of material: 20 for aluminum, 8 for clear acrylic and 13 for frosted acrylic. So the clear choice here is aluminum, which is good as I feel like this might be my preferred option as this project moves on. The colors for aluminum are also mildly interesting, with 15 votes for stock; 10 for black & zealios purple; 7 for blue; 4 for green and red; 3 for orange and 4 for other section; which includes pink, gray and titanium. This leaves 4 distinct colors so far; stock, blue, black & purple. The top 3/4 finishes will be the ones that are made, so this part is essential to the research that needs to be done.

I'm aiming for a total of 100 responses before I move on any further with anything, so if the progression is linear then expect movement in two weeks. I doubt it'll carry on like this though!

The feedback I've had so far has been helpful as well, and has been taken into consideration which any changes. Something that came up would be to round the exterior corners - they will be rounded as this is available as a finishing option with the companies I am dealing with. However, most people are off work until the 4th of January, so quotes and communication are near impossible until then.

Another update will follow soon, when I receive the prototype cases. Thanks everyone.

Great to hear an update like this. The renders look fantastic and I can't wait to see shots of the prototypes. Good job man!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 14:24:39 »

It's actually quite feasible for any keyboard layout, after all Duck is planning on the two piece design for the Octagon v2. All that the design would be is that the plate would be screwed into the top piece from underneath(that way no screws are shown), and then the same for the bottom half of the case but would just require longer screws. The only way to see any sort of screw holes were if you flipped the case over and looked at it from it's underside. Your case design is almost exactly the same as the Orion v2 so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I'm not asking you to make it this way, all I was saying is that I prefer that method.

The plate and PCB will be attached once you solder in all the switches, just like any other keyboard I've ever made. The stabs do not hold it down at all.

I've just realized how that's achievable, only took me a couple of days of thinking about it... The pictures of the Red Scarf made me realize how -

This will be easier to manufacture and also be cheaper without taking too much away from the design. It may also add to design as there could, for example, be a aluminium bottom and acrylic top. The issues we've been running into would be fixed using this method of case design, and allow much more freedom. I'll start seeing what my options are at the minute. :thumb:

Offline joey

Re: [IC] XT60 (UPDATE 1 BELOW)
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 14:28:02 »
Is there a render of the logo?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 14:32:40 »

On the keyboard:

The main picture of the logo is in the OP.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 14:59:45 »

On the keyboard:

Show Image

I at first didn't see it but I like subtleness of it

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:09:24 »
XT60 - A British 60% Case
So it's gonna fall apart in a week?

Kidding aside, I would be interested if I had any interest in 60% boards. Good luck with the GB if you launch it!
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline MiTo

• Banned
  • にんたい
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:25:47 »

Glad to see you here and glad that you like the logo! :thumb:

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 15:38:50 »

Kidding aside, I would be interested if I had any interest in 60% boards. Good luck with the GB if you launch it!

That's why it's a 1 piece case, no moving parts ;)

On the keyboard:

Show Image

Originally we had the text there too but I think this works a lot better

Offline Ramage

• * Maker
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 17:41:47 »

The screws on that render are going to confuse people. Also the prototype I'd being cut out of wood as we speak. (Attachment Link)

That's why it's a 1 piece case, no moving parts ;)

On the keyboard:

Show Image

Originally we had the text there too but I think this works a lot better

Show Image

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 18:23:32 »
Form filled.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 29 December 2015, 19:06:20 »

It's actually quite feasible for any keyboard layout, after all Duck is planning on the two piece design for the Octagon v2. All that the design would be is that the plate would be screwed into the top piece from underneath(that way no screws are shown), and then the same for the bottom half of the case but would just require longer screws. The only way to see any sort of screw holes were if you flipped the case over and looked at it from it's underside. Your case design is almost exactly the same as the Orion v2 so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I've just realized how that's achievable, only took me a couple of days of thinking about it... The pictures of the Red Scarf made me realize how -

Show Image

This will be easier to manufacture and also be cheaper without taking too much away from the design. It may also add to design as there could, for example, be a aluminium bottom and acrylic top. The issues we've been running into would be fixed using this method of case design, and allow much more freedom. I'll start seeing what my options are at the minute. :thumb:

If you go this rout, it would be pretty awesome if you allowed for a mix and match of colors and acrylic/aluminum!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 13:51:31 »
More

Show Image

If you go this rout, it would be pretty awesome if you allowed for a mix and match of colors and acrylic/aluminum!

I think I'm too far in to change it that dramastically, I might consider looking at different keyboard sizes though as the 60% case market is flooded.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 18:47:19 »
More

Show Image

I think I'm too far in to change it that dramastically, I might consider looking at different keyboard sizes though as the 60% case market is flooded.

Well, that might give me the push to get a TKL board at least.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #36 on: Wed, 30 December 2015, 19:46:43 »
More

Show Image

TKL is the 3rd most popular layout, but I might give the 2nd most popular a run if this doesn't work out when I get the quotes.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 19:52:22 »
More

Show Image

TKL is the 3rd most popular layout, but I might give the 2nd most popular a run if this doesn't work out when I get the quotes.

I would definitely prefer full size over TKL. And there really aren't many options for full size customs. We'll need plates and PCB's though!

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 20:03:03 »
More

Show Image

I would definitely prefer full size over TKL. And there really aren't many options for full size customs. We'll need plates and PCB's though!

I'd be a fan of a full size board if the numpad was on the left, I hate the normal layout of it.

Offline Solo

• Unreal
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 31 December 2015, 21:25:00 »
I'd be a fan of a full size board if the numpad was on the left, I hate the normal layout of it.

I would love a custom board with a "left handed" layout.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 13:57:54 »
I can start work on that but would it be compact or full size standard but the numpad on the other side?

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 14:13:26 »
I can start work on that but would it be compact or full size standard but the numpad on the other side?

Yeah left handed numpad is the way to go, it makes much more sense so you can still use the mouse while inputting numbers. I prefer compact myself but I'm curious as to what designs could come of it, full size is also nice but a lot of people prefer to not have a dedicated numpad and have more room on their desk. The nice thing about 1800 layouts is that it's only about an inch longer than TKL.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 15:33:45 »

Normal and compact versions, let me know if that was what you are interested in. The compact version is only 3 caps longer than a TKL.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #43 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 15:52:37 »
Show Image

Show Image

Normal and compact versions, let me know if that was what you are interested in. The compact version is only 3 caps longer than a TKL.

Hmm after seeing it on an image I'd like the full size version. For the sake of mixing it up and experimenting, I came up with a layout that I personally would like. I'm not sure what others would think but it's just about 3.25 keys longer than TKL. You could switch up the position of insert and delete either at the top or below the end and pgdown keys.

122561-0

I just made this up rather quick, not sure how compatible all the keys are but I tried to make it as accurate as possible to the best of my knowledge.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
Re: [IC] XT?? - Need input on layouts.
« Reply #44 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:15:11 »
Show Image

Show Image

Hmm after seeing it on an image I'd like the full size version. For the sake of mixing it up and experimenting, I came up with a layout that I personally would like. I'm not sure what others would think but it's just about 3.25 keys longer than TKL. You could switch up the position of insert and delete either at the top or below the end and pgdown keys.

(Attachment Link)

I just made this up rather quick, not sure how compatible all the keys are but I tried to make it as accurate as possible to the best of my knowledge.

I think two problems are having too much wasted space and the other being that keycap profiles won't match half the time which can make it ugly sometimes. I'm personally not keen on how the arrow cluster on yours is stepped downwards, but others may feel different.

This current interest check for the 60% case is currently on 39 responses, with a massive favour taking for the aluminium option. I'll be getting quotes on Monday for acrylic and aluminium, but I'm not sure how many cases will need to be bought in order to get them down to a reasonable price. Any suggestions on a push to a greater audience?
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:17:01 by xondat »

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] XT?? - Need input on layouts.
« Reply #45 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:18:36 »
Show Image

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

I think two problems are having too much wasted space and the other being that keycap profiles won't match half the time which can make it ugly sometimes. I'm personally not keen on how the arrow cluster on yours is stepped downwards, but others may feel different.

Yeah I personally like the spaces myself, hence why I did that but that's because sometimes compact can look pretty crowded imo. I tried to match the right shift and the arrow cluster similar to the 1800 layout how the arrow keys are stepped down and how the right shift is slightly smaller. I'm not 100% sold on the arrow cluster being stepped down but on the layout editor it looked a little funny when it not.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #46 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:50:56 »
Show Image

Show Image

(Attachment Link)

Yeah I personally like the spaces myself, hence why I did that but that's because sometimes compact can look pretty crowded imo. I tried to match the right shift and the arrow cluster similar to the 1800 layout how the arrow keys are stepped down and how the right shift is slightly smaller. I'm not 100% sold on the arrow cluster being stepped down but on the layout editor it looked a little funny when it not.

I'd need other peoples input on this; the layout is growing on me though and I can see it appealing to people that deal with data entry a lot.

Not too sure if this XT60 project will follow through at the minute; I'm without a CAD designer now so case design is on hold and I'll be stuck with this for a while. It's a shame because I can already imagine how I'd do a case for this, I think the main thing would be the PCB design etc.

Offline joey

« Reply #47 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:54:13 »
I'm confused..  I thought the xt60 case was finalised?

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:56:47 »
I'm confused..  I thought the xt60 case was finalised?

This case is finalized. Quotes on Monday - I don't see it selling well though, so discussing other options.

MiTo and myself are discussing selling this as a kit, so with a plate and a PCB. Are people interested in this option?
« Last Edit: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:58:44 by xondat »

Offline joey

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 01 January 2016, 16:58:29 »
Is there a reason you don't want to go ahead even with ~30?