Author Topic: [IC] WIND X98 by wind Studio,not only bigger  (Read 25258 times)

Offline windlabs

[IC] WIND X98 by wind Studio,not only bigger
« on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 04:45:22 »
【IC】WIND X98 | Not Only Bigger
Hello everyone, we are Wind Studio.
First, we very much appreciate your love and support for our previous projects, the WIND X and WIND X65.
We have heard a lot of compliments about our products that it further encouraged us, so we decided it is time to start our next project wind X98!
Absorbing the experience from the first two keyboard kits, we improved both the appearance, structure of PCB, plate and the material of X98, which can enhance the end user's experience.

一.Appearance and Layout
The layout of X98 based on the layout of Wind X (65%+numpad) + F row with more function keys.
Why did we design this layout?
When using the normal 98% layout, it is always not easy to find arrow keys and not very comfortable to press the 1u “0” key(of course, forget it if you are used to it).
There are many people that told us that they like the layout of our flagship Wind X (also the quality ^-^), so we decided to design this X98 layout. Compared to the normal 98% layout, the arrow keys of X98 doesn't sink to the left and more function keys, pressing the 2U “0” key is also more comfortable. Compared with full size keyboard, the X98 not only preserved the full layout keys as much as possible but also save some space on your desktop.

In terms of appearance, we have been adhering to the concept of simple and clean, the keyboard kit still followed the minimalist style of Wind X, keeping the slender brass weight on the back and brass piece above the arrow keys on the top.We design a colored PVD X logo on the blank space between the upper left corner of ESC key and the F row which make the blank space look more full and give users more visual enjoyment. The extended F row makes the whole keyboard ratio look more harmonious when compared with Wind X.

二、Structure
1.We increased the height of x98, from the height of 19.29mm from the original Wind X and Wind X65 to 20.8mm. We've tested this height over and over again, the slight increase height allows sink more place for the interior structure, which means typing feel will be more softer, lighter and just overall more flex, the X98 is also more comfortable when typing for a long period of time.

2.About the internal structure, we still use the popular gasket mount structure, split plate and PCB for the X98.
We designed new grooves on each key of PCB as much as can, we also changed the foam gasket for the plate to silicone gaskets. Silicone gaskets makes the keyboard have a more comfortable cushioning (nicer flex), which is easier to install and replace.
This newly designed PCB was hollowed as much as possible and the thickness of PCB will be 1.2mm which makes the typing feel more soft and comfortable, at same time we will use the black core board PCB material fr4 to maintain more consistency and balance.
The sample picture of PCB:

We did not design a groove plate, because that the plate itself is soft already, it will be even more soft  if we design grooves for the plate in which the strong elasticity will at the same time, make it inconvenient to install switches when using the hotswap PCB. To improve this installation experience of switches, the thickness of X98 plate will be 1.5mm this time and there will be no quick swap for the stabilizers.
All in all, the soft elasticity and consistency will enhance a level in the new design/ material of PCB match with silicone gasket.

Most importantly, there will be wired (QMK) and bluetooth version (LDN) available for x98 keyboard kit. And the delivery package will be fully built, including the installation of the tuned screw in stabilizers (Gateron) on the PCB, you will only need to install switches and keycaps after you receive it, then you can enjoy it. Of course, you also can dismantle and assemble according to your favorite configuration if you want to try others. This package method is suitable for some new people in the hobby, or those who feel the headache of having to build the keyboard.
For X98 keyboard, we specially designed three matching keycaps and provide three different Gateron switches of your choice (Gateron CJ, Gateron Black Inks, Gateron Azure Dragon) the price of the switches will be cheaper than the recommended retail prices if bought with the Wind X98 keyboard kit.

Keycaps photos:
The current popular two-color translucent PC keycaps(the specific information will be determined when in GB)

Switch details:

More pictures:

Above is the basic introduction of X98 keyboard kit, If you have any questions or comments about it, please join our discord (https://discord.gg/TCMGz5yNsR) for more info
And any interest check collection can fill this link: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1hOs6cu-KNuAsR8C5__E35SJZzZjcgDafs6mTon5912k/viewform?edit_requested=true

More information:
GB date:Expected to be in mid-July
GB method:400 sets in-stock,payment on our windstudio website
Case material:6063 Aluminium
Case color:E-white + E-pink, Grey 416u + Chocolate 4045UP, Blue 2392U + Red 3546U
Layout: 65% + Numpad + F Row
Price: Wired $320, Bluetooth Version $350 (3000mah)
Weight: Brass (Transparent Electrophoresis)
Angel: 7°
Fixed model: Gasket Mount
PCB material: Black Code Board fr4
PCB structure: 1.2mm Hotswap (QMK or LDN) There will be no soldered version
Plate: 1.5mm hot-swap PC (only PC available)

Package includes(all pieces assembled):
1*X98 keyboard case(top case/middle case/bottom case)
1*1.2mm hot-swap PCB Wired or Bluetooth Version
1*1.5mm PC plate
1*Stand foot x 4pcs
1*USB Type C Daughterboard x 2PCS ( 1pcs spare)
1*X PVD logo
1*Silicone gasket
1*Screws
1*Screwdriver +3head
1*Foam kit(1mm poron + 2mm poron + 2mm hotswap foam + 0.5mm IXPE sheet + 3.5mm poron)
1*Satellite axis 1set
1*Brass weight(back)
1*Brass piece(front)
1*User guide

Optional:
Switch:if buy the X98 keyboard case kit,105pcs in package,$50/set/gateron cj,$80/set/gateron ink black,$50/set/gateron azure dragon
            if not buy the X98 keyboard case kit,105pcs in package, $65/set/gateron cj,$95/set/gateron ink black,$65/set/gateron azure dragon
Keycap: $49/set ( if buy the X98 keyboard case kit)
            $79/set (if not buy x98 keyboard case kit)

Extra price:
Hotswap PCB (QMK): $50/pcs
Hotswap PCB(LDN): $80/pcs
Plate: $45/pcs
Foam kit: $10/set

Offline an_achronism

• Enthusiastic newbie
    • techrecord.info
Re: [IC] WIND X98 by wind Studio,not only bigger
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 05:28:57 »
This is the first modern keyboard group buy I've had any real interest in. Layouts like this are very poorly served. 1800 doesn't do it for me due to arrows cutting into the numpad 0; this is a relatively elegant solution to that problem. (Personally, I'd just ditch the arrows entirely and accordion it inwards so the numpad is directly beside the main block, but I'm sure that would be less popular.) :thumb:

Offline rookb

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 06:46:00 »
Foam and meme pcb, sick.

Offline Welo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 14:57:28 »
Finally Wind X with F-row. Wind XS (excess) anyone?  ;)

Genuinely needs more colour options as we all know you guys pull insane ano colour combos, and I have expressed that in the IC form. Love that you are giving us large Numpad 0 with this layout which is a rare sight in this hobby and hard to pull without sacrifising from layout.

Question: For hotswap sockets, are they going to be Kailh v1 or v2?

Offline bitbot

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 17:43:29 »
I think this board needs more foam

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 20:36:50 »
PCB is very unusual
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kylekwong1

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 10:18:48 »
Is split backspace removed from the production pcb?

Offline granola bar enthusiast

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 14:24:39 »
i like how the pcb has similar flex cuts to that of the Mr. suit but imo the board aint for me
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2022, 21:57:17 by granola bar enthusiast »

Offline BRSxIgnition

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 June 2022, 21:19:11 »
Love the structural design, features, bluetooth, etc.... but is it possible to have a white version where every currently pink element is anodized black instead? ... Or brass/gold?

Heck, even navy blue would be a more neutral color than a big pink bottom. You are really locking people into specific themes for keycaps with such specific combinations.

If you end up releasing a more basic White & Black Monochrome version, All Black version, & perhaps a Navy Blue + Gold Ano version, I think those would be perfect.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2022, 21:21:57 by BRSxIgnition »

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 June 2022, 03:18:36 »
Nice foam and pcb

Offline Extra-Cwispy

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 14:39:02 »
I really do enjoy my Wind X, got it in E-White/E-Pink. Just curious if there is a specific reason you decided to switch the top and bottom color config for the X98? I honestly prefer the pink on the top case!

Like others have said, lack of color options kinda makes this a miss for me right now. Maybe if you decide on a R2, you could do offer more options! GLIWC!

Offline JQ27

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 10 June 2022, 14:58:03 »

Like others have said, lack of color options kinda makes this a miss for me right now. Maybe if you decide on a R2, you could do offer more options! GLIWC!

They put a post up on the discord updates channel a few hours ago

Would love a black/red one to match my original windx

Offline TekNiq

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 13 June 2022, 22:34:00 »
I personally like F13 TKLs so that the top row can be more evenly spaced

Offline BRSxIgnition

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 14 June 2022, 10:55:08 »

They put a post up on the discord updates channel a few hours ago

Show Image

Would love a black/red one to match my original windx

I actually find it a little bit funny that they made the default in stock colors so wild - not sure who thought White/Pink, Blue/Red, and Black/Brown made good defaults.

Hopefully they pick better base colors during the GB, or alternatively just allow people to choose their own colors for each piece so it's made to order from the start.

Offline norb

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 14 June 2022, 15:50:02 »
i'm a bit confused, so there will be limited colors in-stock (400 pcs) and "after" they are sold, there will be a groupbuy with more color options? or will the in-stock sale and gb start at the same time?
where are you guys located/shipping from? china?

Offline BRSxIgnition

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 14 June 2022, 17:12:19 »
i'm a bit confused, so there will be limited colors in-stock (400 pcs) and "after" they are sold, there will be a groupbuy with more color options? or will the in-stock sale and gb start at the same time?
where are you guys located/shipping from? china?

I'm order:
  • Yes, that is pretty much what they are saying. No date or colors listed or anything specific. Seems to mainly be a response to the poor reception of the initial colors, but it's been mentioned that they promised the same for the x65 and I don't believe it ever happened.
  • No word or specifics on when the GB will start. In stock sales start in July, but we've got no clue for anything else as of yet.
  • Yes, I believe they are in China.

Offline bshendy

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 14 June 2022, 20:24:51 »
Kinda funny to me that people aren't seeing the obvious and that the colors were chosen most likely because they just wanted to match their keycap sets and incentivize the purchase of them. With that logic I don't mind it and it is what it is

Offline BRSxIgnition

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 14 June 2022, 21:02:48 »
Kinda funny to me that people aren't seeing the obvious and that the colors were chosen most likely because they just wanted to match their keycap sets and incentivize the purchase of them. With that logic I don't mind it and it is what it is

Based on the costs involved, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the other way around and the keycaps were color matched to the board choices.

Offline Extra-Cwispy

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 13:10:30 »
For X98 keyboard, we specially designed three matching keycaps and provide three different Gateron switches of your choice (Gateron CJ, Gateron Black Inks, Gateron Azure Dragon) the price of the switches will be cheaper than the recommended retail prices if bought with the Wind X98 keyboard kit.

Says it right in the IC they did design the keycaps to match the boards, not the other way around, but I get what you mean. They did something similar with the X65 and their Black/Orange keycaps. Hopefully they offer the option to purchase just the board for less during the live sale, or at least during the GB.

Offline BRSxIgnition

« Last Edit: Thu, 16 June 2022, 15:46:45 by BRSxIgnition »

Offline Theman2k

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 June 2022, 16:16:45 »

Offline shendoo

• *RAUGHS*
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 18 June 2022, 09:19:51 »
Form factor isn't what I'm looking for but I'm really impressed with the design. Looks really great. GLWIC!

Offline LMarci

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 27 June 2022, 14:55:51 »
More cuts in the pcb  :thumb:

Offline JSaintS

• Formerly eNrageDSainT
    • JSaintS
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 13 July 2022, 14:15:14 »
Posted a series of rough suggested color photoshops to the discord so I figured I'd throw them all in an album for folks here too.

These are great! Thanks a lot.
It's amazing how I like the white green combo.

Hope some of this will get to the GB.

Looks like ewhite+green is not on the latest Reddit update :'( I was hoping to see that color. I really hope these are not final and we can get other colors.

I really like the design and bluetooth is definitely appreciated.

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 13 July 2022, 14:36:04 »
More cuts in the pcb  :thumb:

+1. Pcb cuts feel amazing. How does the IXPE sheet compare to PE foam? Which one provides a more marbly sound signature? Very disappointed in the lack of PE foam in general with this keyboard.

collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline sntXrrr

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 20 July 2022, 19:07:49 »
Nice board, unfortunately I game on the numpad and have come to use it with all 2u keys split in 1u keys, moar keys to play with! Would have loved to see support for that on the solder pcb, so no go for me on this one.

Offline IBMweMissU

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 31 July 2022, 03:23:29 »
Do a WindX with BLE, original WindX colors !

Offline WXYaa

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 06 August 2022, 13:19:29 »
I've been waiting for this F-row WindX. Love to finally see some brownish colorway too!  :thumb: