Author Topic: The Beer Thread!  (Read 399097 times)

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
Re: The Beer Thread!
« Reply #1000 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 07:49:48 »
Had some of this last night during a radio session: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/2023/

Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline drewba

« Reply #1001 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 16:34:42 »
Show Image

If anyone is in to Gueuze, https://belgiuminabox.com is doing "volume deals". After shipping, the price per 750ml bottle was roughly $14 which is $6-8 cheaper than you can find in stores (not to mention my local beer stores generally sell out instantly of Drie Fonteinein Oude Gueuze, at least). Also the glassware is basically impossible to find in the states.

I can buy Ouede Gueuze at my local Whole Foods and a few other spots around. Now if they had any Cantillon available I would be all over this.

Oh well that's awesome...too true about Cantillon. Etre Gourmet does have Cantillon in stock but they put max-3-bottl- limits on any Cantillon they have available and I couldn't make the shipping worth it.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1002 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 18:46:46 »
A couple super locals (within Orange County), a couple locals, and a single gypsy brewery brewed in SC (they brew at various breweries) ranging from 3% to 15%.

Valiant makes one of the best IPAs I've ever had.  I'm drinking the Evil Twin right now (can a 3% beer be considered beer?) and it's damn good, but definitely not for everyone.

Had some of this last night during a radio session: http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/700/2023/

Definitely one of their better beers, but I'm not a huge Elysian fan.  Bifrost was pretty solid and I feel like they had another based around that that was even better.  The Golden Boot Ale was pretty good too.  Their big one was their Jasmine IPA, but I'm allergic to Jasmine and it makes my mouth go numb.

Edit:  I remembered, it was the Bye Bye Frost.  And if you ever see a bottle of Iron Horse Irish Death, try it out.

Also, the Dan K IPA is killer.  Nice and herbal and earthy without treating of pure marijuana and a nice abd balanced beer.
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 May 2015, 20:55:22 by nubbinator »

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1003 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 22:16:09 »
KeyCon x BeerThread

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1004 on: Fri, 15 May 2015, 23:03:17 »
20% off at whole foods, the homie even saved me some Cantillon  :o

Offline Bigpock

« Reply #1005 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 10:10:12 »
When in Florida ^.^

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #1006 on: Sat, 23 May 2015, 10:12:06 »
KeyCon x BeerThread

Show Image

Damn son, I'd buy it just for that label. My favorite beer is Trout Slayer from Big Sky (Montana), best Wheat beer on Earth...yep, I said it. =)

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1007 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 14:59:11 »

:cool: couple frambizzles nbd. headed to France this week with a potential stop in Brussels at Cantillon, etc for more of the good stuff.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #1008 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 15:04:39 »
When in Florida ^.^

Show Image

Very nice. Florida cracker is a favorite of mine.

Offline Bromono

• Wanabe Cicerone
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • HHKB > Your Opinion
« Reply #1009 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 20:01:30 »
I actually like this a lot

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #1010 on: Sun, 24 May 2015, 20:34:38 »
Ugh, this thread is motivating me to get my license renewed. I miss beer  :'(

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #1011 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 05:58:13 »

(I no longer drink but sampling and procuring different tasty brews used to be one of my favorite things to do in the world)
Had some friends came up from Brooklyn and copped them a trunk full of this and heady tops surprisingly this was the one they went on and on about for 3 hours straight  :)) I can sympathize I liked the double but that's me but they are both very good !
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2015, 06:22:09 by Sed8op8 »
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #1012 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 06:02:49 »
This thread is making me thirsty. Got something special for the holiday, three more hours on the clock... *sigh*

Offline suby4me

« Reply #1013 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 12:22:36 »

(I no longer drink but sampling and procuring different tasty brews used to be one of my favorite things to do in the world)
Had some friends came up from Brooklyn and copped them a trunk full of this and heady tops surprisingly this was the one they went on and on about for 3 hours straight  :)) I can sympathize I liked the double but that's me but they are both very good !

Hey another Vermonter! I agree the beer up here is pretty good. I didn't know much about beer till I came up here for school and hung out with my new friends in Colchester. I'm really digging these beers:

The sunshine is good, I remember a bunch of my friends went crazy for a mad run down at the local beer place (beverage warehouse) during a break in class. It was hilarious.
current: poker 2 | HHKB pro2, Novatouch | off: das keyboard 4 | Ducky 3 TKL | death by coffee das keyboard mac ver. | razer blackwidow | whitefox | corsair K70 RGB

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #1014 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 15:42:57 »

Hey another Vermonter! I agree the beer up here is pretty good. I didn't know much about beer till I came up here for school and hung out with my new friends in Colchester. I'm really digging these beers:

Show Image

The sunshine is good, I remember a bunch of my friends went crazy for a mad run down at the local beer place (beverage warehouse) during a break in class. It was hilarious.
good ole winooski
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1015 on: Mon, 25 May 2015, 21:06:21 »
Door County's "Little Sister"

"Belgium style with hints of orange and spices"

It's good!  :D

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #1016 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 04:55:45 »
Door County's "Little Sister"

"Belgium style with hints of orange and spices"

It's good!  :D
Awesome glass Hoff !!

Offline iri

« Reply #1017 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 05:24:35 »
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1018 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 07:07:58 »
Am I the only one who struggles to drink beer/lager out of a can?? It just tastes bad compared to a bottle :/

Also Leffe on tap is like a whole different drink compared to when it's bottled

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #1019 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 07:39:08 »
I used to feel the same bald. I don't know if there's a difference in the aluminum or it might be nothing at all. I haven't gotten any of that stale metallic natty ice taste from any of these. I actually prefer SOME beers in a can. YMMV but they are using the can for more and more beers so I must not be the only one. This might be my imagination but sometimes I detect a crispness to canned beer that is lacking in bottled or tap. Some things just seem and taste right bottled and would be hard to imagine canned even sacrelige so I guess it really depends on the brew  :p

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #1020 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 07:45:19 »
I used to feel the same bald. I don't know if there's a difference in the aluminum or it might be nothing at all. I haven't gotten any of that stale metallic natty ice taste from any of these. I actually prefer SOME beers in a can. YMMV but they are using the can for more and more beers so I must not be the only one. This might be my imagination but sometimes I detect a crispness to canned beer that is lacking in bottled or tap. Some things just seem and taste right bottled and would be hard to imagine canned even sacrelige so I guess it really depends on the brew  :p

Yeah that's true I guess, I've not really tried that many beers that come in cans/bottles and on tap... for me bottles always have a sharper taste than tap, tap is much smoother (hence why Leffe is like heron on tap) but cans just leave a bad after taste... idk maybe I need to try more can beers or maybe they have gotten better at it.
I remember I smashed open a can of Carlsberg once and it had some bizzare ping-pong ball inside...

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #1021 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 08:09:37 »
Hooray for weekend

wow its blurry.. who cares its gonna be tasty

T minus 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

Offline iri

« Reply #1022 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 08:31:43 »
beer in cans tastes fookin sweet, especially this one. lager with a capital L!

I remember I smashed open a can of Carlsberg once and it had some bizzare ping-pong ball inside...
top widget-banter
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #1023 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 08:50:47 »

Yeah that's true I guess, I've not really tried that many beers that come in cans/bottles and on tap... for me bottles always have a sharper taste than tap, tap is much smoother (hence why Leffe is like heron on tap) but cans just leave a bad after taste... idk maybe I need to try more can beers or maybe they have gotten better at it.
they were playing beer pong on the assembly line  :)) . Guinness used to add these ping ping like balls in there cans that was supposed to make it taste like draught beer according to there advertising so maybe it was so.ething like that!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1024 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 09:22:25 »

they were playing beer pong on the assembly line  :)) . Guinness used to add these ping ping like balls in there cans that was supposed to make it taste like draught beer according to there advertising so maybe it was so.ething like that!

I'm not a beer expert, but they put those in there as a nucleation site, to get more heady bubbles.  At least that's my understanding.  :)  I don't drink those sorts of beers much, so I don't encounter them very often.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #1025 on: Tue, 26 May 2015, 09:38:06 »
One of my favorites!
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline BigStar

« Reply #1026 on: Wed, 27 May 2015, 10:45:41 »
KeyCon x BeerThread

Show Image

Damn son, I'd buy it just for that label. My favorite beer is Trout Slayer from Big Sky (Montana), best Wheat beer on Earth...yep, I said it. =)

You dont drink beer. You've never drank beer

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #1027 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 04:59:01 »
It's a full meal in this bottle

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #1028 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 06:02:32 »
It's a full meal in this bottle

Show Image

beer served with a fork  :thumb:

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #1029 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 06:25:34 »

Flemish Sour Ale... Tastes as if someone had poured balsamic vinegar into the beer. #neveragain
🍉

Offline unipsykal

• ghostly lurker
« Reply #1030 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 06:32:27 »
(Attachment Link)

Flemish Sour Ale... Tastes as if someone had poured balsamic vinegar into the beer. #neveragain

ROFL

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
« Reply #1031 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 06:57:54 »
(Attachment Link)

lol observable by the 3/4 full bottle

Offline drewba

« Reply #1032 on: Sat, 30 May 2015, 16:30:19 »
(Attachment Link)

;D That's a shame - Cuvee Des Jacobbins is one of the best examples of Flanders/Flemish Sour in the world. You might be one of those people that just hates the style and that's fair but check out Rodenbach Classic/Grand Cru (more fruit taste, less vinegar).

Offline iri

« Reply #1033 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 08:47:14 »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1034 on: Sun, 31 May 2015, 20:28:41 »

A pint of Oasis Pale Ale. They were one of the first brewpubs in Boulder, CO, but shutdown a decade ago. I happen to have a keg of their pilot re-release in my kegerator  :-X

Perfect for the end of a beautiful summer day.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 May 2015, 20:36:25 by jbondeson »

Offline metafour

« Reply #1035 on: Sat, 06 June 2015, 21:36:23 »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1036 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 17:01:01 »
Finally hit up Brussels.  ;D

« Last Edit: Mon, 08 June 2015, 17:05:51 by jwaz »

Offline drewba

« Reply #1037 on: Mon, 08 June 2015, 19:05:00 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Great choices, have fun! :thumb:

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #1038 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 19:26:06 »
Homebrewed Red Ale Salute to my beer drinking brethren!

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #1039 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 19:31:53 »
Wow, jwaz. Nice!

This again...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #1040 on: Fri, 12 June 2015, 21:47:18 »
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline iri

« Reply #1041 on: Sun, 14 June 2015, 11:52:09 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Hope you are having a ton of fun there!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #1042 on: Sat, 20 June 2015, 05:57:09 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

dat luggage  :cool:
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline jbondeson

The Beer Thread!
« Reply #1043 on: Mon, 22 June 2015, 20:29:34 »
The 2015 Editions of my Daughter's Beer Duo.

Left: Blood Orange Wheat, Right: Strawberry Peach Wheat.

I only have another decade and a half to perfect the recipes for their 21st birthdays. :)

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #1044 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 19:28:09 »
Charleston has its perks.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1045 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 21:28:17 »

Show Image

what a hall! have you cracked one or is it trade bait? :P

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #1046 on: Tue, 23 June 2015, 21:31:57 »

Show Image

what a hall! have you cracked one or is it trade bait?
I had some at the brewery, but that's it. I plan to hold onto them for now, but might try and trade them. I was just stoked they still had some left this long after release.

Offline zippox

« Reply #1047 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 09:10:56 »
Homebrew American IPA. Pretty good but there's room for improvement

BTW if you guys are drinking IPAs, I recommend the Spiegelau IPA glasses. They do a good job increasing the perceived hop aroma and really kick the flavor up a notch when you get past half way due to the turbulent affect the ribs on the bottom have.

104831-0

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1048 on: Thu, 09 July 2015, 09:28:40 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 August 2015, 08:32:32 by esoomenona »

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #1049 on: Fri, 10 July 2015, 12:20:31 »
For those of you who were interested in the Mikkeller's Beer Geek Vanilla Shake that I posted earlier, here's your chance to get a special limited edition bourbon barrel aged version of it:

http://shop.mikkeller.dk/shop/beer/mikkeller-beer-geek-vanilla-shake/

I finally popped open a bottle of this stuff and its pretty amazing :)

It has a nice, smooth, thick, creamy mouthfeel. Flavors consist of lots of vanilla, coffee, some milk chocolate, and dark roasted malt. It tastes sweet, but with enough bitterness to balance it from being overwhelming. Low carbonation, very drinkable, thick stout that hides its 13% ABV very well.

Show Image

I bought three of these bottles back when you posted this. Cost me a pretty penny. I drank one then, and saved the other two. I cracked open the second over the weekend. I don't know how long beer lasts, or is supposed to last, but it still tasted fine.

You pick up the BA version? Regardless, a big malty high-octane beer like that will usually age amazingly for years, the alcohol burn will subside over time and the beer will get more complex. But it can really depend on which beer specifically (you wouldn't really want to age something with coffee because that will fall out immediately) and most people will buy multiples like you did and open one every year or so. I like to buy the subsequent release and try fresh vs the previous batch with a year on it, verticals are fun too. I mostly cellar sours but I have a few big stouts like Black Tuesday and Parabola which are both BBA and age very well.

De Mollen's aging instructions always crack me up :))