geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

What is the best free easy VPN ?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Coreda:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Tue, 05 July 2022, 11:02:55 ---No, and you won't easily find it because they outsource it... Can you think of any reason Comcast (and to a lesser extent Charter or Cox) wouldn't give them (or a third party working for them) access for the right money?

Can I prove it, no, would I put money on it, absolutely. They know it can be done because the feds did it, so why can't they.
--- End quote ---

The advantage law enforcement has with the ability to intercept wholesale user traffic when warranted is it's legal ꞉p, as they have lawful interception legislation. Not sure how well it'd end for ISPs if they sold such access to arbitrary third parties, even if to a lesser degree we have examples such as GPS location data being found sold illegally by some US carriers (including AT&T and fined for it).

With a VPN at least one is wrapping the connection in an encrypted tunnel to the endpoint, though there's also a performance trade-off (from the type of VPN protocol used, the router specs, the VPN service, one's internet speed). Of course the service has to be trusted in such a scenario and also not sure how well some VPNs take to usage like torrenting either as others have mentioned.

Mullvad is about the closest to being reasonably trustworthy but they're not free and not sure what their policies on usage are.

tp4tissue:
the private tracker is unbound from the monitor deployed by mpaa,  but the isp still knows what you dl.  they just won't hassle you about it.

a seed box can be made completely opaque,  that said, i highly doubt the seedbox company wouldn't sell you out,

so, there aren't any economical methods to move large quantities of (worthless) data like this invisibly.

Leslieann:

--- Quote from: Coreda on Tue, 05 July 2022, 22:22:45 --- we have examples such as GPS location data being found sold illegally by some US carriers (including AT&T and fined for it).

--- End quote ---
You're kind of proving my point here.

We already know they're willing, even if it breaks the law.
Selling to a third party just requires adding it to the terms of service, ever read them?

Coreda:

--- Quote from: Leslieann on Wed, 06 July 2022, 11:06:05 ---We already know they're willing, even if it breaks the law. Selling to a third party just requires adding it to the terms of service, ever read them?
--- End quote ---

I'm sure they'll get right on adding any such dubious practices to their ToS :p Though of course it's something I read and even correct customer service from time to time about their own written policies.

phinix:
I use Nord VPN, not that expensive, but works for me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version