geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] gwŷdd65 Wooden Keyboard (March 2024 update)

<< < (7/7)

roffelsaur:

--- Quote from: Space_Case88 on Mon, 06 November 2023, 13:50:06 ---really hope that this project comes through. I'm super interested.

--- End quote ---

Typing on the new prototype, will have more to share very soon :)

roffelsaur:
Final Prototype Photos:

Laser engraving needs some positional adjustment. The internal one (not shown) needs to be finalised as well, will share more pics once that's been done :)

roffelsaur:
Here's the TW Hinoki Epoxy edition, fully finished in all its glory :D

This is still a prototype so the logo placement and size will need some further adjustments. The final version will also have the channels underneath the wrist removed, so it should be one smooth surface below. Hope y'all like what you see :)

PrizeOcelot5911:
This is the first time I have seen the upper and lower covers of a keyboard made of wood. Although I don't think it looks very good, it is definitely creative, especially since the wood has textures such as growth rings. :cool:

roffelsaur:
Greetings, it's been some time since the last update so I thought I'd share a bit more about what's been going on :D

Material
I've worked with the CNC fab to massively reduce the amount of chipping that was previously happening on the internal edges. This has brought the average number from 8-10 (oof) down to 1-3 per unit.

I've tested a few different finishing oil options and after going through the entire application, drying process and subsequent performance testing, I've decided on a locally-produced tung oil blend that has performed the best in the testing done.

I've also finalised the 10 colour combos that will be available to choose from for the epoxy resin unit, photos can be found here: https://imgur.com/a/UhHkS8m

PCB
This has been one of the main contributing factors to our current timeline woes. The previous studio responsible for our PCB design and ordering has not met our expectations and as such we have moved on to find a different designer. We've enlisted the help of Maelk to help us with the design, prototype and ordering process. We're currently waiting for some prototypes to arrive. It's hard to make the switch so late into the development process but it also didn't feel right to march head-first into an impending disaster...so here we are. Thankfully Maelk has been amazing so far and we look forward to getting some quality PCBs soon!

Carrying Case
Ah, this is another fun one. There's been a lot of back and forth with the manufacturer and I've finally managed to get the key points (orientation of logo and handle) sorted out. This carrying case will be able to hold both the keyboard and the wrist rest so it's a bit of a chonker, so I do hope y'all like thiccc carrying cases :)

Plates
We've decided to drop the leaf spring FR4 plate design as it ultimately wasn't achieving what we wanted it to during our testing. We've settled on 3 plate configurations: 3mm polycarbonate, 1.5mm carbon fibre, 1.5mm aluminum. I'll post an updated plate diagram shortly. We've also updated the gasket width so that it's easier to applicate to the plate. Plate design was also slightly updated to reduce the initial loudness of the space bar.

Screws
Changed vendor and material for these. They're still black but won't be black-plated SS as these seemed to be chipping paint off all the time. New screws are SCM435H steel material (and magnetic, yay?)

That's it for now, hopefully I'll have more good news to share in the coming weeks

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version