Author Topic: [GB] PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB (Closed)  (Read 16448 times)

Offline anonymous

[GB] PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB (Closed)
« on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 11:35:39 »

PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB

Participants List: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L7e2aLZXiPc-C5c7WnFpI3ug88VXSu2VDN8YFj4Km1k/edit?usp=sharing

IC Thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=106062.0

Specifications:
  • 6.5 degree typing angle
  • Seamless design
  • HHKB blockers
  • Top mount plate (Plate Layout
    More
    )
  • Wedge bottom cover with sandblasted internal brass weight. You can remove it in case you plan to use a BT PCB.
  • Compatible with unversal pcbs (DZ60, YD60MQ, etc)

Base kit will include PC Top case, PC Bottom Cover with weight, and POM plate. You can purchase additional PC plates or Brass plates. All parts are sandblasted. No PCBs will be offered on the raffle, but I can include pcbs when the cases are ready to ship.

Acceptable Quality Standards
  • Bowing on the bottom cover. Since the bottom cover is connected to the top case via the four corner screws only, there is a possible .2-.3mm bowing of the bottom cover. This doesn't affect typing experience at all since the whole case will be 2mm above your table after addding the rubber bump-ons.
  • Minor scratches. Polycarbonate scratches easily so it is possible to scratch the cases during handling. However, I'll be handling the cases with utmost care during quality check and packaging.

Price:
  • Base Kit - 260$
  • Extra POM Plate - 30$
  • Extra PC Plate - 35$
  • Extra Brass Plate - 50$
  • Shipping Cost: Estimate is 50-80$ depending on the country. Courier will be DHL

Payments will be collected via paypal invoice. All prices doesn't include the 4.4% paypal fee. Shipping fee will be invoiced when the boards are ready to ship in order to determine the exact shipping cost.

Group buy Format:
  • 30 slots that will be allotted via raffle.
  • GB form will be open until July 17, 10PM (GMT+8)
  • Invoices will be sent on July 18 and winners will have until July 19 to pay the invoice. Unpaid invoices will be cancelled and the spot will be transferred to the next person on the list.
  • No cancellations once the invoice is paid. If you're no longer interested in your spot during production, I will allow the selling of spots.

Timeline:
  • Estimated production time is 4-5 months (Manufacturing 1 prototype took 1 month). I don't want to promise a short turnaround and not be able to fulfill it on time. If it can be finished earlier then it's better. Please understand that there can be unforeseen events that can affect the timeline. Please only join this GB if this is acceptable to you.
  • I am not sure about the state of the world once the boards are ready to ship but as long as DHL can deliver on your country, I will ship the boards as soon as they are ready.

Terms and Conditions:
  • This is a group buy. The boards will only be produced after payment is collected from the gb participants. Estimated shipping time is after 4-5 months
  • The aforementioned shipping time above is subject to change. There are many factors that can affect the timeline of the production
  • No cancellations once the invoice is paid. If you're no longer interested in your spot during production, I will allow the selling of spots. Any fees needed for the transfer of slots will be shouldered by you.

Renders:

Some design improvements were done after acquiring the prototype. Below is a summary of these changes:
  • Decreased the bezels
  • made the plate screws m2 instead of m3 (same mounting points)
  • Added full backspace, full right shift, and stepped caps lock support on the plate (I forgot to reflect this on the renders)
  • removed the curve on the front part
  • removed the 3 star and a sun engraving on the back
  • added a 3-star and a sun cutout on the weight
  • added an extrusion that will make the lower part of the bottom cover stiffer to minimize bowing (please refer to the renders to see what I meant)

Note: Final plate design includes support for full backspace, fill right shift and stepped caps lock

Please take note that the renders are just representation and does not reflect the appearance of the actual product. Please refer to the prototype photos below in order to have an idea of the actual finish of the board.

Prototype Photos and Typing Tests
More
Prototype photos:

The quality of the prototype is satisfactory. This is my first PC board so I do not have a point of comparison. In terms of machining, the prototype was made according to the design files that I sent to the factory. All pieces fit and there are no tolerance issues.

However, there is slight bowing on the bottom cover due to the absence of center point screws (https://imgur.com/VpeYkjS). The bottom cover is attached to the top piece only on the four corners. I didn't put screws in the middle to achieve uniformity on the plate. The bowing is only .2-.3mm and does not affect the typing experience at all. Adding the height of the bump-ons, the bottom will not touch the surface of your table.

To mitigate the issue, I added an extrusion to the lower part of the bottom cover (https://i.imgur.com/4ACq7i1.jpg). (More design changes can be found at the bottom of this post)

Typing Test with Gateron Milky Blacks:

Typing Test with T1 Switches:
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 April 2021, 00:36:08 by anonymous »

Offline anonymous

Re: [GB] PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB (Raffle on July 16)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 10:45:17 »
Reserved

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • snoozing
Re: [GB] PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB (Raffle on July 16)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 08:19:22 »
approved
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline anonymous

Re: [GB] PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB (Form Posted)
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 09:11:55 »

Offline nathanchere

Re: [GB] PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB (GB Form Posted)
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 12:12:51 »
Reserved

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus

Offline heroic

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 17:11:40 »
Is the back the same as the Kira EXS? Any relation?

Offline anonymous

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 21:30:14 »
I forgot to update the renders but the plates will also support full backspace, full right shift and stepped caps lock
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 July 2020, 21:32:35 by anonymous »

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 06:33:35 »
Entered! Goodluck Fam!

Offline anonymous

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 00:58:34 »
Invoices are out! Kindly check your paypal if you received an invoiced

Offline happycamper87

Re: [GB] PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB (Invoices Sent)
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 19:52:28 »
Is the back the same as the Kira EXS? Any relation?

Different designer, same Philippine flag.

Offline anonymous

Re: [GB] PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB (Invoices Sent)
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 23 July 2020, 03:05:08 »
Just placed an order on the manufacturer. The waiting game begins. Thanks to those who joined.

I'll upload a spreadsheet of the order/participants list on the OP.

Offline nathanchere

Re: [GB] PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB (Payment Sent to Manufacturer)
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 00:43:43 »
If this goes smoothly would you consider an R2?

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 18 August 2020, 05:39:26 »
If this goes smoothly would you consider an R2?

I think he is considering an R2!

Offline jackcauliflower

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 06:41:41 »
Any updates?

Offline rsvnh

• Sem van Nieuwenhuizen
    • Sem van Nieuwenhuizen
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 December 2020, 10:19:54 »
Op said on Discord that the cases were on their way to the Philippines.

Offline whizzard

• whizzard got ur gizzard
    • LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 28 December 2020, 14:54:35 »
Hopefully not too much longer on this one... I am excited to put it together.  Any updates appreciated  :thumb:

Offline anonymous

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 10 February 2021, 01:00:38 »
Hello everyone. I already sent an email to the participants for the shipping addresses. So far, only 6 haven't responded yet. I used the email that you provided during the GB. In case you haven't receive any email. Send me a message at anonymous#1185 on discord or email me at mechanicalkeyboards.etc@gmail.com

Offline 1corazon

Re: [GB] PH60 - Polycarbonate HHKB (Shipping soon)
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 21 February 2021, 05:41:20 »
HI, Is it too late to join the group buy ?

PLEASE i want the Top and bottom polycarbonate one PLEASE!! email me

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 19:40:29 »
Just finished putting together the keyboard... I am quite happy with it.  Question about the included PCB... I can't seem to find the "Nightly Boards n-60s" anywhere in QMK and was wondering how I could program it.  For instance, I would like to change the caps-lock to control as in a HHKB.  Thanks!

Offline anonymous

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 04:35:48 »
Just finished putting together the keyboard... I am quite happy with it.  Question about the included PCB... I can't seem to find the "Nightly Boards n-60s" anywhere in QMK and was wondering how I could program it.  For instance, I would like to change the caps-lock to control as in a HHKB.  Thanks!

The pull request is still pending. Send me a PM on discord or send me an email so I can provide the json file for via.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #22 on: Wed, 24 February 2021, 10:37:39 »
Some pictures of the keyboard built.  I ordered a different keycap set because I didn't have one to fit this layout... but this gives a general idea.  I am happy with the build.  I know it is difficult to work with polycarbonate and I am glad he went for it.  I used the included PCB, very nice build quality.  The only thing someone might want is LED options for the keys but I think that might make it a little too RGB heavy so I didn't mind just letting the case have the lighting.

Thanks again for the GB!

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 25 February 2021, 18:47:37 »
 :D
Some pictures of the keyboard built.  I ordered a different keycap set because I didn't have one to fit this layout... but this gives a general idea.  I am happy with the build.  I know it is difficult to work with polycarbonate and I am glad he went for it.  I used the included PCB, very nice build quality.  The only thing someone might want is LED options for the keys but I think that might make it a little too RGB heavy so I didn't mind just letting the case have the lighting.

Thanks again for the GB!

Show Image

Show Image

Do you have more pictures of the front?

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 26 February 2021, 09:31:38 »

I just took some for you... here is a link to the photo album of this board.  There is a bow, but it is not distracting, and I am not sure I would have noticed if he hadn't pointed it out earlier in the GB.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUw7dMB

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #25 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 08:58:44 »

I just took some for you... here is a link to the photo album of this board.  There is a bow, but it is not distracting, and I am not sure I would have noticed if he hadn't pointed it out earlier in the GB.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUw7dMB

Thanks for the pics man! I do see the slight bow. is there a way to fix it? like heat up the PC and bend it back?

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #26 on: Mon, 01 March 2021, 09:44:52 »
I am sure there is a way.  If you put some pressure on the middle of the bend it goes flat so maybe some hot air or something would fix it.  It doesn't affect the typing and I don't mind it.  At least it is symmetrical lol.  It is hard to make a full Polycarb keyboard because it always does what it wants when it cools.  I really like the typing angle,  and have been using it since I got it.  The right keycaps for the build are going to get here by March 3rd.  I will take more pics then.

Offline whizzard

• LOOTKEYS BLOG
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 06 March 2021, 06:31:32 »
This is how it looks with proper keycaps.  I get a lot of compliments on it  :D