Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 302504 times)

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #550 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 11:50:43 »
What is this poll about? What happened?

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #551 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 11:51:41 »
Blue found a way to make things cheaper so he's trying to figure out what to do with the extra money.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline digi

• elite af tbh
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • keyboard game on fleek
« Reply #552 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 11:53:41 »
Blue found a way to make things cheaper so he's trying to figure out what to do with the extra money.

Cool! thanks

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #553 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 15:08:58 »
I picked "Send participants silly things and donate money" buuuuuuuuut, I it would be cool to get one linear apls switch  ;)  ;)  :cool:

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #554 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 15:11:36 »
If I remember right, he'll be saving the money by buying more switches, right? So regardless of the poll, we all get extra switches, neh?
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline pkircher

« Reply #555 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 16:32:58 »
id say independent question ether more switches or money back .. but should be on a per order base .. instead of a global resolution

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #556 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 16:40:56 »
id say independent question ether more switches or money back .. but should be on a per order base .. instead of a global resolution

I guess... I get your point but Blue has already done extra work to get the lower deals. It's a lot to ask to make him them pass these savings back to people individually.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #557 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 17:02:04 »

I guess... I get your point but Blue has already done extra work to get the lower deals. It's a lot to ask to make him them pass these savings back to people individually.
Especially since he didn't have to do the work at all. He saw an opportunity to go above and beyond for everyone who, by joining this buy, already implicitly indicated that they were okay with the price and the product. We should all be fine with whatever BlueNalgene decides. To quibble over a small handful of extra switches is just plain acting entitled.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #558 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 17:40:36 »
If I remember right, he'll be saving the money by buying more switches, right? So regardless of the poll, we all get extra switches, neh?

Eh, probably not.  If refunds are preferred, then I will probably sell the extras to afford to refund everyone.  If silliness/donations are preferred, most of the switches will be used for the donations.

Yeah, I really wish I had the foresight so it wasn't an issue actually.  The global resolution is the best option for a few reasons.

A. That is extra work.
B. Mixing methods would end up screwing me because the options are a bit compatible, and I can't afford to pay some back in refunds without selling off some of the extra stock.
C. Donation drives are less effective on a case by case basis rather than a collective response.

Offline cheddarbek

[GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #559 on: Sat, 24 October 2015, 20:35:34 »
Quote from: BlueNalgene link=topic=75491.msg1906345#msg1906345

Eh, probably not.  If refunds are preferred, then I will probably sell the extras to afford to refund everyone.  If silliness/donations are preferred, most of the switches will be used for the donations.

Ah, then silliness abound I say!
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 kmē), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 kmē),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #560 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 02:54:04 »
Good news!

I finally was able to contact the final user with invoices!  It turns out he just hadn't been on Reddit since I messaged him last, and he wasn't avoiding me.  All is well.  Money is in the account and the Matias order will be place tomorrow.  Rather I mean the order will be placed later today since it is 3AM here, after I wake up and get some caffeine in me.

I have two things which are currently extra and in need of a loving home due to being dropped from an order.  I have promised a user first right of refusal on them since he contacted me early on.  If he doesn't want one or both of them, then I will post them here to see if anyone is interested.

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #561 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 06:17:35 »
Good news!

I finally was able to contact the final user with invoices!  It turns out he just hadn't been on Reddit since I messaged him last, and he wasn't avoiding me.  All is well.  Money is in the account and the Matias order will be place tomorrow.  Rather I mean the order will be placed later today since it is 3AM here, after I wake up and get some caffeine in me.

I have two things which are currently extra and in need of a loving home due to being dropped from an order.  I have promised a user first right of refusal on them since he contacted me early on.  If he doesn't want one or both of them, then I will post them here to see if anyone is interested.

Great news! Good that they managed to keep their order

Offline pkircher

« Reply #562 on: Sun, 25 October 2015, 13:26:59 »
awesome .. very fast turnaround time , thank you so much for your effords !

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #563 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 18:34:44 »
Is it possible to die of anticipation?
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #564 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:12:30 »

This is clipping along at a healthy pace for a GB.  If you want to find out if death by anticipation is possible, I could delay sending your package a few weeks after the big shipment.  :p

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #565 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:18:25 »

This is clipping along at a healthy pace for a GB.  If you want to find out if death by anticipation is possible, I could delay sending your package a few weeks after the big shipment.  :p

Now that would just be cruel... (I was trying to hint an update because I have nothing better to do)
And packages already take long enough to get to Canada.

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #566 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:19:33 »

Do it for the science

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #567 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:19:53 »
Translating and adapting a joke my dad says, the only one that dies of anticipation is the thanksgiving turkey. :))

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #568 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:20:22 »
My keycaps should be here by Friday, I could just stare at them I guess....
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:26:58 by Deductivemonkee »

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #569 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 19:33:41 »
There will probably be a noteworthy update until tomorrow.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #570 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 20:07:54 »
There will probably be a noteworthy update until tomorrow.
:)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #571 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 21:51:55 »
Can somebody just post SOMETHING? Anything?

Offline E3E

« Reply #572 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:05:12 »
Hi,

I'm somebody.

Anything.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #573 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:07:52 »
Hi,

I'm somebody.

Anything.

That gave me something to read, for say... 20 seconds? Worth the wait!

Offline E3E

« Reply #574 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:09:18 »
Hi,

I'm somebody.

Anything.

Haha. I do my best.  ;D

Maybe go read up on the Monarch Alps custom! https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75786.0

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #575 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:11:41 »
Can somebody just post SOMETHING? Anything?

Travel is possible.
October!

My boards:
More

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #576 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:12:10 »
Hi,

I'm somebody.

Anything.

Haha. I do my best.  ;D

Maybe go read up on the Monarch Alps custom! https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=75786.0

Been there done that, I watch almost EVERY current alps thread... I'm an addict and I haven't even started yet...
Thanks though :P

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #577 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 22:34:53 »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net

My boards:
More

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #579 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:18:11 »
Hi,

I'm somebody.

Anything.

Haha. I do my best.  ;D

Been there done that, I watch almost EVERY current alps thread... I'm an addict and I haven't even started yet...
Thanks though :P

You're Canadian me but I think I have more patience.

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #580 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:33:39 »
Working on tmk, keep getting the same error code... This might get frustrating.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #581 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:48:12 »
Good news!

I'm interested if there is a PCB Really not sure why I set my mind on desoldering my infinite... It's my least favourite keyboard related activity! Ha ha

Offline E3E

« Reply #582 on: Mon, 26 October 2015, 23:51:47 »
Good news!

I'm interested if there is a PCB Really not sure why I set my mind on desoldering my infinite... It's my least favourite keyboard related activity! Ha ha

Desoldering, desoldering. If you're working with a good PCB, it's hardly too tedious, just time consuming and boring. If you're working with a PCB with a tendency for lifted pads, it's a god dahamnuh nightmare, tedious, and time consuming. Luckily, the Infinity is pretty robust there. I have desoldered it twice with not even a hint of a lifted pad. Duck's PCBs on the other hand...

they really need a better manufacturer

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #583 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 00:07:56 »
Good news!

Nope, sorry.  It looks like the only extras at the moment are plates.

Offline skaloola

« Reply #584 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 00:14:51 »
Will our orders be coming with stabilizers?  If not maybe thats what the extra $$ could go toward..

I totally forgot about stabs and missed the other GB.

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #585 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 00:16:18 »

Desoldering, desoldering. If you're working with a good PCB, it's hardly too tedious, just time consuming and boring. If you're working with a PCB with a tendency for lifted pads, it's a god dahamnuh nightmare, tedious, and time consuming. Luckily, the Infinity is pretty robust there. I have desoldered it twice with not even a hint of a lifted pad. Duck's PCBs on the other hand...

they really need a better manufacturer

Well that's good to know! The last thing I desoldered was a Leopold numpad and I basically needed up destroying it in the process...

Nope, sorry.  It looks like the only extras at the moment are plates.
S'all good! May the alp Gods shine on me whilst I banish the Cherries from the board.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #586 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 00:17:59 »
Will our orders be coming with stabilizers?  If not maybe thats what the extra $$ could go toward..

I totally forgot about stabs and missed the other GB.

Sorry man, it would be an interesting use of the money, but it is too late.  I placed the order for the switches and stabs earlier today.

Offline skaloola

« Reply #587 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 00:28:52 »
Oh well, is there another place to order stabs?  Just email Matias I guess?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #588 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 01:08:27 »
Oh well, is there another place to order stabs?  Just email Matias I guess?

They are the last entry underneath "Alps Keycaps" near the middle of the page.

http://matias.ca/order/

Offline braidn

« Reply #589 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:33:48 »
What's a reasonable price for an AEKII? Have a few in the works but feel like they are a tad on the high side.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #590 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:47:17 »
Well, I haven't seen one worth the money on eBay for a month. But then I have to get it shipped to Europe, which limits both my options and eBay's search results.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #591 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 08:48:49 »
What's a reasonable price for an AEKII? Have a few in the works but feel like they are a tad on the high side.
$20-30 should be your goal but I have not seen many <$40 with shipping on ebay. I got two for $40 locally

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #592 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:34:28 »
How long do you think it'll take for Matias to ship to you?

Offline E3E

« Reply #593 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:51:14 »

The previous suggestion is on key, but I'd extend it from $20-40 with $50 + being the price of desperation in the same way those who are desperate for blue Alps pay $100 + (ie, me :P). 

If you're patient, you can probably get one for cheap. There's an AEK on ebay.de (Germany) if that's relevant to you. http://www.ebay.de/itm/Apple-Tastatur-M3501-und-Maus-/141811339305?hash=item21049d5029:g:h0YAAOSwo0JWLSmW

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #594 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 09:55:46 »
I got one for $30 with pristine caps. I ended up scratching one of the keys on the numpad so I probably have to buy another now. I'd say $50-$60 isn't too unreasonable if it's in good condition.

Offline jbondeson

« Reply #595 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:07:00 »
I got one for $30 with pristine caps. I ended up scratching one of the keys on the numpad so I probably have to buy another now. I'd say $50-$60 isn't too unreasonable if it's in good condition.

$50 shipped would be tops I'd pay for an AEKII, $60 would be right out. The switches (Cream Damped) aren't great without modding, so you're basically paying for the key caps unless you're willing to put in a lot of work.

If you can find an AEKI, then you can pay more because you'd be looking at Salmon or Orange Alps.

Offline keyboardia1

« Reply #596 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:23:16 »

$50 shipped would be tops I'd pay for an AEKII, $60 would be right out. The switches (Cream Damped) aren't great without modding, so you're basically paying for the key caps unless you're willing to put in a lot of work.

If you can find an AEKI, then you can pay more because you'd be looking at Salmon or Orange Alps.
I've payed €30 including shipping for my AEK II with ISO layout. I'd say that's fair price considering how much i've payed for other keysets ... and they didn't even come with a keyboard as a bonus ;)

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #597 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 10:24:46 »
I don't think I've seen it anywhere in the thread but is there a photo of the colour that the plate is going to be anodized in?

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #598 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 13:44:51 »

the same way those who are desperate for blue Alps pay $100 + (ie, me :P). 

I've been on the hunt for blue alps, but haven't come across a board at any price for a while. :(

Offline E3E

« Reply #599 on: Tue, 27 October 2015, 17:49:24 »

the same way those who are desperate for blue Alps pay $100 + (ie, me :P). 

I've been on the hunt for blue alps, but haven't come across a board at any price for a while. :(

Two just went on eBay for $99 :/ $100 is pretty much the average you can look to spend on these. Damn, wish I could have helped! I was posting over on the great finds thread on Deskthority.