Author Topic: ErgoDox Infinity  (Read 60091 times)

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
ErgoDox Infinity
« on: Fri, 15 January 2016, 19:07:18 »
I recently got the ErgoDox Infinity to review. I will build this asap and post pack review/any additional content. If you have any questions feel free to start asking now! Don't forget the Input Club website is a fantastic resource already, with heaps of documentation! Expect this to be updated by Sunday at the latest  :thumb:
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline f1xedgear

Re: ErgoDox Infinity
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 17:18:26 »
Good timing! It's coming back to MassDrop next week monday!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 14:32:40 »

Thats probably why a unit to review and test just showed up at my door  :rolleyes:

It is all built, programmed, etc, so ill get pics up here soon

Offline f1xedgear

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 14:57:46 »

Thats probably why a unit to review and test just showed up at my door  :rolleyes:

Wow, how do I get your job? :)

Drop is now open!

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 15:55:56 »

Wow, how do I get your job? :)

Drop is now open!

Run keychatter ;)

Offline Jedi

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 23:32:40 »
What specs did they send you?   Keyswitch, pcb, case, etc.  Signed up first thing in the morning when it dropped and picked up the Zealous 78g.  I'm gonna need to start going to the gym just to get ready for pounding on those new switches! :thumb: :p

Offline Zapheo

• There's nothing that I wouldn't do.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 18 January 2016, 23:49:59 »
I'm excited for the review LSB!
I need more keyboards to hold all of these keycaps.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 02:12:49 »
What specs did they send you?   Keyswitch, pcb, case, etc.  Signed up first thing in the morning when it dropped and picked up the Zealous 78g.  I'm gonna need to start going to the gym just to get ready for pounding on those new switches! :thumb: :p

I got the stock kit yeah, with MX Clears. If i was getting it JUST to type on, I'd have gotten Matias Quiet Clicks, but I wanted one that I would be able to put some caps on (i want to put Jukebox on when I finish running the buy for Round 2 in a few months).

You'll be surprised at the Zealio switches. They are so smooth they will almost certainly not fatigue your fingers, and are a very good choice indeed.

There is so much content on input.club on the dox that my review will be a little shorter this time around. I'll try to highlight some of the features that may not be apparent at first (like being able to open up the switch tops without desoldering the switches), and some layouts that I've used in the past and what I currently use.

Another really nice use for it is to load up a heap of layers on the left hand for games, and simply use it as a game pad. The thumb cluster makes it much more useful than a traditional keyboard in many ways, only loosing out to dedicated pads with joysticks if you prefer one of those.

Offline bocahgundul

• a seal
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 02:34:13 »
hhkb or this  :p

Offline Jedi

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 07:35:45 »
Hi livingspeedbump, just a few questions if I may and thank you for putting a thread together for this. 
1.  How many key switches are included with the ergodox kit? 
2.  How many key switches are required to cover all the keys? 
3.  Is the ergodox kit "plate mounted" or "pcb mounted"? 
4.  Are stabilizers included? 
5.  What kind of stabilizers are included and also what type of mount are they?

The reason for these questions is related to a separate GB running for switches and there are available stabilizers too, but I need to know specifically what type to buy for a ergodox, I understand that the drop includes all the parts but since it will take some time for the parts to arrive assuming everything is perfect from the start, I am also a novice at installation and though I have a Hakko solder gun and desolder gun, I don't have a way to fix burned plastic (of course, if I have an extra switch laying around, problem solved! :p

Also, one more set of questions for the old KC60 we jumped on the first go around. 
a.  Are the KC60 switches "plate mounted" or "pcb mounted"?
b.  Are the stabilizers "plate mounted" or "pcb mounted"?

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 10:33:11 »
Hi livingspeedbump, just a few questions if I may and thank you for putting a thread together for this. 
1.  How many key switches are included with the ergodox kit? 
2.  How many key switches are required to cover all the keys? 
3.  Is the ergodox kit "plate mounted" or "pcb mounted"? 
4.  Are stabilizers included? 
5.  What kind of stabilizers are included and also what type of mount are they?

The reason for these questions is related to a separate GB running for switches and there are available stabilizers too, but I need to know specifically what type to buy for a ergodox, I understand that the drop includes all the parts but since it will take some time for the parts to arrive assuming everything is perfect from the start, I am also a novice at installation and though I have a Hakko solder gun and desolder gun, I don't have a way to fix burned plastic (of course, if I have an extra switch laying around, problem solved! :p

Also, one more set of questions for the old KC60 we jumped on the first go around. 
a.  Are the KC60 switches "plate mounted" or "pcb mounted"?
b.  Are the stabilizers "plate mounted" or "pcb mounted"?

I believe 76 switches are needed, I got 78 in the kit.

Ergodox (and KC60) are both plate mounted, with plates that have openings on the side of the switch that allow the user to unclip the tops and tune the switches easily.

Stabilizers are included, both the ErgoDox and KC60 use plate mount Costar stabs.

:thumb:

Offline vortexau

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 20 August 2016, 03:36:25 »
I got an Ergodox Infinity earlier this year, but skipped the keycaps as I didn't like the ones offered and thought they'd be fairly easy to get hold of. Unfortunately that wasn't the case!

I've built the keyboard itself, and I've now ordered a keycap set via Massdrop - unfortunately the keycaps have a surprisingly long lead time on them!

Can't wait to use it in anger :)

Offline KeLorean

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 18 November 2017, 11:23:58 »
i just got my ergoDox infinity package from md and it is so royally screwed up. there are no pcbs, and i have two right hand cases. and after looking at the discussion on the md page i found out that a lot of people are having similar issues. you think the shipping manager would at least look at a picture of the final build before organizing/disorganizing his team. but really all this makes sense if you consider that md is really busy making sure that they don't send out two right socks to all of their apparel customers.
Click it OR Ticket!

Offline MatchstickMan

• CAD Jockey - YOLO Enthusiast
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 22 November 2017, 14:06:14 »
...i have two right hand cases...

Lucky for you, you also have two left hand cases!!

But really, the acrylic sandwich cases for the Infinity are symmetric, so you got the correct cases. Sucks to hear about the PCBs though, there were a TON of problems with that on this drop.
Current Projects:
- SouthPad -- Left-handed Numpad
- Full Split (Currently on hold)