Author Topic: Feature requests for the new VB87M  (Read 33497 times)

Offline Kvracing

Feature requests for the new VB87M
« on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 02:19:25 »
I read that a new version of the VB87M with combined Bluetooth and USB was in the workings? This is great! So I thought maybe a feedback topic would be good.

Here are the combined suggestions (from all posts) on improvements of the VB87M:

- Physical on/off switch instead of keyboard combination
- Battery indicator
- Micro USB or USB C (preferably)
- Allow the keyboard to be used with cable when the battery is drained
- Allow the keyboard to both be connected to a computer via USB, and several devices via bluethooth (like the Logitech MX Master 2S), then switch between devices easily via keys or button
- Lower price
- Lighter, it's very heavy for carrying around
- Make a cover that goes over the keycaps so that one can easily transport it without damaging or squeezing the keys.
- Select one mapping of media keys on function keys and stick to it. Preferably, coordinate with other keyboard manufacturers on a standard layout.
- Mouse keys on Fn+Arrow... with scrolling on Fn + PgUp/PgDn and Fn + Home/End.

Please don't change the TKL layout (don't want to drag around a full keyboard - there is no room in the backpack).

If you upgrade all these features without removing the other good things like backlit, front printed caps etc, this keyboard will be the hands down the best wireless keyboard in the world, it will sell like hell!

Hope to see it soon :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 July 2018, 15:40:47 by Kvracing »

Offline Findecanor

Re: Feature requests for the new VB87M
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 06:04:04 »
Let me add:

- Please do select one mapping of media keys on function keys and stick to it. Preferably, coordinate with other keyboard manufacturers on a standard layout. (That goes for all of you!)

- Mouse keys on Fn+Arrow... with scrolling on Fn + PgUp/PgDn and Fn + Home/End.

- Micro USB
Do ship it with a cable that has a reversible Micro-USB type B plug!
And do allow the keyboard to be used with cable when the battery is drained.

- Function key support for mathematical and Greek symbols: œ∑'®†¥¨ˆøπ“‘«åß∂ƒ©˙∆˚¬…æΩ≈ç√∫˜µ≤≥÷¡™£¢∞§¶•ªº–≠,
Most of these are available on Alt Gr or Compose-key combinations with the right keymap on your operating system: œ®¥^ø'''åß©°æµ¡™£¢§¶ªº—
Personally I think symbols belong on such combos and not with the Fn key.
The Compose key is great but (same key as Menu on Windows) but many keyboards have a Fn key there instead.
You could send Unicode numbers in Alt+<numeric keypad> combos to MS Windows but other operating systems might interpret those differently.

- Include two keycap pullers so one can take off the spacebar aswell
You could already do that with a wire-puller. Pull one end, then other, then the whole space bar.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 July 2018, 16:15:47 by Findecanor »

Offline Kvracing

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 15:34:12 »
- Micro USB
Do ship it with a cable that has a reversible plug!

I would actually prefere micro USB. Know that USB C is the better option (with regards to charging and data transfer), but all other devices I have is micro USB, more cables becomes more mess to drag around.
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 July 2018, 15:43:04 by Kvracing »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 16:22:52 »
USB Type C is not necessarily better for a keyboard.

It supports more power for faster charging only in certain circumstances: when you have USB Type C at both ends (I don't see Type A going away any time soon), when the cable has support for it (both wires and logic) and when the host or charger at the other end supports it. And there are many cables with Type C connectors out there that are downright dangerous for high power delivery.
Keyboards don't need fast data transfer because they use only the USB 2.0 subset, so with Type C you would get a bigger plug and thicker cable for nothing.

Offline Kvracing

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 00:17:33 »
What did you mean by reversible micro USB then?

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 08:11:04 »
This one was maybe the first reversible Micro B, but I have seen other styles.

Offline Kvracing

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 July 2018, 00:14:39 »
This one was maybe the first reversible Micro B, but I have seen other styles.

Well, this will not be compatible with anything out there, so that I am strongly against. If reversible usb post is important for you, the only reasonable chioce is USB C.

Offline Varmilo MNF

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 04:26:13 »
Dear Varmilo's Friends,

Thank you so much for focusing on Varmilo and giving so many suggestions. We will keep doing our best to improve our products. Hope you all enjoy our keyboards. :)

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 31 July 2018, 12:39:28 »
Well, this will not be compatible with anything out there, so that I am strongly against. If reversible usb post is important for you, the only reasonable chioce is USB C.
You are mistaken. The plug fits in regular Micro B sockets.

It is not important to me. I just think that Micro B cables should have these because it would be a missed opportunity otherwise.

Offline Kvracing

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 August 2018, 04:22:51 »
You are mistaken. The plug fits in regular Micro B sockets.

It is not important to me. I just think that Micro B cables should have these because it would be a missed opportunity otherwise.

Ah ok. Well anyway I would have gone for USB C because of newer tech, but like you said, not very importent which one of them it is.