Author Topic: Most suitable plate material for tactile (Alps) switches)?  (Read 4195 times)

Offline nguyenhimself

Most suitable plate material for tactile (Alps) switches)?
« on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 02:04:30 »
I've bene arguing with some friends about this, so might as well ask for some other opinions here:

I'm planning to cut a plate for my custom tactile Alps build. What would be the best material for my case?

Aluminum?
Stainless steel?
Brass?
Maybe acrylic?

I hear some "rules of thumbs" floating around like "stainless steel will be tiring for your fingers" or "go for brass for better, deeper sound" and "aluminum is better for tactile switches".

Any idea? Thanks.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Most suitable plate material for tactile (Alps) switches)?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 November 2018, 06:11:57 »
Acrylic will need a much thicker piece below the acrylic, or be milled form a thick slab and that will not be cheap compared to some laser or water jetted aluminum.
Aluminum and brass will have less ping than stainless but be less stiff.

Is there such a thing as too stiff?
I tend to take the sports car approach to it, the chassis should be stiff and all the suspension/switches should be doing the actual work. Why? Because if you rely on the plate your feel will not be consistent across the keyboard. As such, I don't mind aluminum or brass for smaller keyboards but larger ones may need steel to span the gap, however, how the plate is attached can be every bit as important as material.

Take the two plates in your picture, the silver one has a plate that mounts to the case, this should make it nice and stiff as it can't really move. The brass one (Poker/GH60) however is not mounted to the case and actually floats, being held aloft by the switches, no matter what you use, you will NEVER be as stiff as the silver one. While it may hold the switches level with one another, it's still being held aloft by the switches and ultimately the pcb, a thin, flexible pcb, with inconsistent mounting holes, some areas will have more flex than others. Basically if it's not mounted well, it won't matter much, the feel will not be good and if it is mounted well, then the material matters less. And yes, I know they do feel different and sound different, but if you don't have a good foundation that feel is compromised from the start, hence the race car design theory.

Personally, I would err on the stiff side if you aren't sure about how stiff it will be.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion