Author Topic: Howdy from central Florida  (Read 1553 times)

Offline JeremyLLawson

• Jeremy Lawson [dot] com
Howdy from central Florida
« on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 17:10:27 »
Lurked around here a few times and figured I should probably go ahead and register and stick around a bit. Any ways, I'm Jeremy and currently reside in central FL.  I'm a 40 something lifelong computer geek, my first computer was a TI-99/4A that I got when I was four or five years old.  And yes, I still have it.  I've also had a TRS-80 CoCo 2, Commodore 64, owned a computer store in the late 90s and early 2000s, was heavy into car audio & home theater for a while, etc etc etc. 

I'm also a Linux user, my current flavor is Ubuntu MATE 16.04 running on an Xeon powered HP Workstation with a pair of 27 inch monitors.  And to go ahead and get it out of the way I'm currently battling some health issues that leave me with a lot of widespread chronic pain and stuck in in the house about 90 percent of the time nowadays.  But enough of that.  As far as my keyboard I use a rather unusual one that I'm quite fond of, though most people seem to despise the darn things.  For one, it's not a mechanical keyboard.  It's also no longer supported by Microsoft as far as drivers.  And it's got a slightly nonstandard layout.  However, it does have a few neat things that work well for me as someone with hand issues and it works perfectly in Linux if you know how to enable the features.  :D

So, I present you with the Microsoft Office Keyboard, also known as the RT9450.  Complete with the cool scroll wheel on the left side and the back/forward/cut/copy/paste buttons. 

212650-0
Resistance is Futile

Offline rmendis

• Artisan addict
Re: Howdy from central Florida
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 February 2019, 19:37:09 »
Welcome, fellow 40 & above member, and true 80's kid.

You will have fun here. =)

Offline HillClimb

Re: Howdy from central Florida
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 25 June 2020, 16:26:17 »
Jeremy

Respect ! _ I have been a long term MSOffice RT9450 keyboard user on my aging Win-XP desktop - I have just gutted this PC almost everything inside it is new; but would like to continue to use the RT9450 - I installed Ubuntu 20.04 (Unity) & Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon in a dual-boot - these are my first forays with Linux and it s still all new and mysterious

The RT9450 works in both versions of Linux as a generic 102 extended keyboard and I have been able to enable a few of the special function keys via Settings Keyboard Shortcuts to to be able to use the Mail; Calculator; Volume-Up/Down etc. But I have spent more hours than I care to admit trying to enable the scroll wheel and frankly I have failed miserably - bearing in mind I do not know really what I am doing I have tried every "how to" that Google has thrown my way dmesg; xev; keytouch; xdotools; xbindkey and lots more - The most hopeful fail was I can see the scancodes in dmesg but I found a few referrences to scroll up keycodes 177 ? 185 ?.  But honestly I am out of my depth

If you would care to share your solution that would be fantastic - TIA