Author Topic: the Presidian multifunction crank flashlight and like devices  (Read 3360 times)

Offline pex

A while back I had a simple dynamo crank flashlight (and I suppose it is very possible it was intended to mount into a holster on a bike as a bike light).  I thought about taking it and trying to make the rotation of the back tire/chain/whatever attach to the dynamo so that riding a bike would charge the light.  The resistance is not very much so it would no burden the rider.

But then I figured I'd be out of a dynamo flashlight.  One day I went to RadioShack and found a like flashlight on sale, but this one seemed even more cool.  It was the crank, light, radio, siren, and USB-power out, so not only did it not need batteries, it could charge cellphones (and perhaps anything taking USB power!)  It can also take a 9v battery if desired.  It was on clearance for 6.97.

The first one I got seemed to be broken, which I estimated because there was hardly any resistance at all during cranking, and the light would never produce energy I had expected would be stored, although I could run the light immediately while cranking.  I presumed that the dynamo was not connected with the charging mechanism correctly, since the creation of power in a motor is what causes the resistance.  I fear this model may be somewhat fragile, but hope it is just an manufacturing error.  I returned that one for another one.

This one seems to work (although I can't recall if I ever tested charging a phone.)  One weird thing about the product is RadioShack refuses to recognize it exists on their website, even in the legacy support section (catalog num. 61-131).  Just because I like the light, some pictures will follow in my next post.
« Last Edit: Mon, 26 July 2010, 21:52:22 by pex »
Ж®Cherry G80-8113 (someday I hope to have one that reads magstripes, rfid cards, and smartcards), broken \'98 42H1292 Model M, some other Model M from a decade before that, 30 more keyboards in a box, 4 more lying here or there
Destroying Sanctity: my Model M project. Status: Dead.