Author Topic: Windows or Mac?  (Read 35039 times)

Offline frostwoozle

Re: Windows or Mac?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 20:06:36 »
I don't have a hard drive at the moment so I've been booting Puppy. Normally go with Arch, or Debian if the machine is older. Linux isn't for everyone and I don't think it should be, although for those with little money a free, simple, and open distro needs to be available. For most people Windows or OS X remain a very usable choice that does everything they need their computer to do. And thank the good lord for that or the IT sector would be in the tank! Imo the net is where large corporate monopolies pose a tangible threat but that's for another thread.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 22:27:07 »
Both.

OSX-productivity.

Windows- gaming.

5 five

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 15:16:26 »
All three

Windows: Gaming/Development
Linux: Development
Mac: Music/Development

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 17:06:47 »
Well, Canonical's Amazuntu is a bit evil. I sometimes agree, sometimes disagree with RMS, but this time he's right like no other.

Offline Amr0d

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 03:24:26 »
I am using both but I prefer OSX since it just works. Never had any problems with my mac compared to my windows PC.
Filco MJ2 TKL browns | Race 75% LE reds | Phantom GH Edition soon™

HeatWare

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #55 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 04:02:49 »
Just going to say this aero bsucks and im glad its not in win8.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #56 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 07:48:30 »
Takin' the bait. They make nice phones though, if not vastly overpriced.

...how old is that picture now?

the one thing I will say for microsoft...they keep dragging their old stuff along so nothing breaks....or ever moves on (I'm currently maintaining code used by > 2000 people daily written in vb3 in 1996)...they actually put the vb6 runtime into win 8...dear lord WHY!!!
at least apple has the decency to shoot stuff in the head when its obviously suffering  :))

as for mac's being more expensive.... honestly I've tried to configure a Dell box to the same sort of spec as an iMac and can barely shave £100 off it, most of the money for that goes in the screen...and they are good compared to the regular monitors wheeled out by all and sundry

theres my logs on the fire any how
das blue, mac chicklet, old mac clear hair catcher

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #57 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 07:51:55 »
Takin' the bait. They make nice phones though, if not vastly overpriced.

...how old is that picture now?

the one thing I will say for microsoft...they keep dragging their old stuff along so nothing breaks....or ever moves on (I'm currently maintaining code used by > 2000 people daily written in vb3 in 1996)...they actually put the vb6 runtime into win 8...dear lord WHY!!!
at least apple has the decency to shoot stuff in the head when its obviously suffering  :))

as for mac's being more expensive.... honestly I've tried to configure a Dell box to the same sort of spec as an iMac and can barely shave £100 off it, most of the money for that goes in the screen...and they are good compared to the regular monitors wheeled out by all and sundry

theres my logs on the fire any how
Buildings especially specing out a system better that a iMac isnt hard at all because with it your paying for an all in one form factor which no one who is going to use there computer for anything real significant should want.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 08:34:52 »
Buildings especially specing out a system better that a iMac isnt hard at all because with it your paying for an all in one form factor which no one who is going to use there computer for anything real significant should want.

just tried (very quickly) to get something from dell that matches (there abouts) the spec on a 27 inch iMac, came to $1814
had to get an alienware x51 + UltraSharp U2711  + web cam + sound bar

its all well and good being able to get new bits for your machine should you want to, but if your starting for the point of needing a new machine any how....
das blue, mac chicklet, old mac clear hair catcher

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 08:54:23 »

just tried (very quickly) to get something from dell that matches (there abouts) the spec on a 27 inch iMac, came to $1814
had to get an alienware x51 + UltraSharp U2711  + web cam + sound bar

its all well and good being able to get new bits for your machine should you want to, but if your starting for the point of needing a new machine any how....
I can easily build a full custom rig for cheaper and i think your looking at the wrong form factor with the alienware x51 still too compact to use decent parts.

Offline swagpiratex

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 09:50:43 »
If your windows is slowing down, you're running too many resource heavy processes. Easily remedied by optimizing using msconfig, uninstalling unused programs, and practicing safe browsing habits. (If you use a virtual machine to browse, then you are part of the master class.) You also can't expect Aero to run beautifully if your Windows Aero performance score is 4/8. That's like expecting a corolla to perform like a ferarri.

The kind of people who buy a computer and just expect them to work are the perfect candidates for Apple products. All products made by Apple work seamlessly with each other, and and it just works.

That being said, I'm sure there are master class mac users as well, and and they probably use the platform for specific ends unfathomable to me. Fan boys are so myopic that it doesn't occur to them that the mission drives the gear. What works for them might not work for everyone else. Like someone else said, for photo manipulation, Apple is the industry standard. But at the same time, someone who isn't pro can achieve comparable results with a Korean IPS monitor (Thunderbolt display reject) and a working knowledge of Photoshop.

I'm gonna end this post by saying people will tend to tout the operating system they use best. People who wanna run chain commands prolly will be dual booting Linux with Windows to get their game on. People who like pretty things and value simplicity gravitate toward Apple. Gamers and people who grew up using Windows unwilling to learn another set of shortcuts will stick with Microsoft. Pick your clan and be happy :D

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 20:49:06 »
 Use whatever you like, but to vehemently argue the great superiority of only one is asinine. It's like arguing that one brand and style of clothing is the only way to go and there is no reason to ever wear different brands or styles. I've used a few dozen OSs and they can all work fine. It just depends on what you want to do with your PC (yes, Macs are Personal Computers too) and what your personal preference is. The argument that "Macs just work" is silly (as is saying any other platform does.)

I'll agree that's it's fun watching people get so worked up and start spewing all over the place.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Rapid

• Moar pewpew
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 23:33:54 »
There was too many arguments to read so here is my unbiased opinion. I own a macbook pro with retina display as well as a gaming PC with windows 7 that I built (both equally are my loves). I jump from one to the other multiple times daily and from my own personal experience they excel at different things. As far as desktops go windows is definitely the way to go. Anything from games to most software simply is less hassle on a PC. Anybody that complains about it getting slow or having issues needs to download free anti-virus software and take better care of their computer. I've literally never had a problem with this computer (or my past gaming PC on vista (which was considered garbage)).

As far as macs go they make EXCELLENT laptops. Something I don't think windows will really achieve. They designed these things to be fast and portable and that's exactly what they do. Not to mention the nice aluminum finish they have that makes them stand out. As far as software goes however I would not ever imagine my macbook to properly play games or things of the sort (even though it has the power for it). It does do very well with Photoshop and other Adobe products if that's what you're interested in. Works perfectly for me in school but not so much for my leisure time (gaming and multitasking) unless I want to just lounge around the house to work on photoshop assignments or browse the internet.

P.s. I apoligize for the lack of commas they key is temporarily out of service lol
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 January 2013, 23:36:36 by Rapid »
Razer 'White'widow [Blue MX Switch]
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39342.0

Offline razorsharpgears

• TheOriginalBecker
    • Becker's 市場 рынок Markt - Sell/Buy/Trade
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 23:56:35 »
Windows Forever!
Here at GeekClack, time isn't worth anything because CCs are money.
"You cannot plan the future. Only presumptuous fools plan. The wise man steers."
— Cosmo Lavish
|WTB/T/S| Thread ←Link

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 01:08:24 »
With Steam on Mac now, there is an increasing range of games available.  I play Portal 2 and HalfLife 2 on either Mac or Windows depending on mood and whichever one happens to be closest at the time.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline nraymond

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 23:08:12 »
I say both, and more.  More is always good.  My main computer for productivity is my 2012 Mac Mini.  My main PC for gaming is the Win 7 PC I built myself and upgrade every year or so (some part or another).  And I have my Linux PC for HDTV, my NetBSD (pfSense) PC firewall, my Synology NAS, and my historical computers (SGI Indy, Sun Sparc 20, HP PA-RISC 712/100, NeXT Turbo Color, Mac G4, Color Classic, SE/30, G4, 128k, IIgs, //c+).

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 11 January 2013, 23:55:21 »
I say both, and more.  More is always good.  My main computer for productivity is my 2012 Mac Mini.  My main PC for gaming is the Win 7 PC I built myself and upgrade every year or so (some part or another).  And I have my Linux PC for HDTV, my NetBSD (pfSense) PC firewall, my Synology NAS, and my historical computers (SGI Indy, Sun Sparc 20, HP PA-RISC 712/100, NeXT Turbo Color, Mac G4, Color Classic, SE/30, G4, 128k, IIgs, //c+).

Pfsense is built on top of FreeBSD not NetBSD. Good stuff though. Where's your Commodore Vic 20 and Apple IIe? :) Nice little collection. Vintage PCs are fun! Post some pics.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline yester64

« Reply #67 on: Sat, 19 January 2013, 18:02:26 »
Which one do you like better? Or do you use Linux instead? I personally prefer using Microsoft Windows. It has a superior GUI, and is much faster and more secure than Mac OS X. I do own 7 Macs, however. They all run classic Mac OS though.

I do think that Amiga OS was way better for its time then any other OS out there.
But since its 2013 i stick with Windows. As a matter of fact, i just love to be in charge of the hardware an aspect that Apple does not give me. I hate to be constrained in that regard.
I did however had several macs in my lifetime. They were nice computers and the OS was good. 9 was just an insult but X was something really good to come.
Still, the way Apple went with its platform made me less of an enthusiastically user and to me Windows will be the platform of choice.
For everyone else, just run with whatever you personally happy. Linux is great too but i never liked the desktop really.
Rosewill RK-9000BR (trashed)
WASD V1 Keyboard Cherry Blue w/40A Hardness O-Rings
Steelseries 6GV2 Red Cherry Switches

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 03:37:16 »
I prefer the MAC OS in general, as well as ubuntu, but windows for gaming.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline tauburn

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 13:27:13 »
i really wish gaming would move to linux so i can jump ship from windows but they dont seem to like nonfree game software taking over...

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 13:32:15 »
i really wish gaming would move to linux so i can jump ship from windows but they dont seem to like nonfree game software taking over...

I haven't checked myself, but have you tried steam for linux? it opened up gaming as a real thing in linux a while ago. It was bloated with bugs, but at least they closed the gap between gamers across platforms.
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline CommunistWitchDr

• >implying keyboards
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 13:36:01 »
Linux. I'm on Arch, but anything with rolling release and a large enough repo for the software I want is fine.

Offline tauburn

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 15:58:18 »

I haven't checked myself, but have you tried steam for linux? it opened up gaming as a real thing in linux a while ago. It was bloated with bugs, but at least they closed the gap between gamers across platforms.

lol it doesnt matter if steam move to linux when there are no games worth playing. its the same situation as when steam came to osx

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 16:00:29 »
I prefer Linux for stability, windows for gaming, and OSX for *nix managment, since I don't have to remember DOS and Unix commands. I always type ls etc for Windows, and it never works. I did find that when I installed WinAVR that some commands were enabled like ls etc, however.

Offline acediac01

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 01 May 2013, 16:15:04 »
At home I run Linux, Slackware and Ubuntu. I just wanted the Ubuntu box up and running, but am looking to migrate it to Debian whenever I have the time to figure it out. I have my main machine dual booting so that I can game, but honestly can say I haven't used Windows at home in months.

At work, it's all Windows. Ubuntu is starting to be used more, but there is a lot of culture resistance against moving away from Windows.

From my observations, OS's are like hammers. If you're roofing, you use a roofing hammer. If you're driving a steak into the ground, use a sledge hammer. I personally am an enthusiast, and like the control of Linux, even if it means all my time is spent RTFM.
Leopold FC200RT (browns) - Work
Poker II (browns) - Home

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 01:17:14 »
Ubuntu is currently my primary.
Little bit of Arch.
Server runs FreeBSD.
Play some Windows games.
Mac Mini for media center duties.

I was primarily Mac, but I missed having a real package manager. I found myself using mostly free software, anyway.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 05:35:04 »
macports?

fink?

even pkgsrc?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 06:10:00 »
It's not the same, by a long shot. You can't upgrade the entire system. It's just easier to use [insert distro].

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 13:48:48 »
I was primarily Mac, but I missed having a real package manager. I found myself using mostly free software, anyway.

Homebrew?

It's not the same, by a long shot. You can't upgrade the entire system. It's just easier to use [insert distro].

The Mac App Store takes care of system updates.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 15 May 2013, 14:14:22 »
The Mac App Store takes care of system updates.

For stuff that's actually there. I had tons of software downloaded from the internet, with a mind of its own. I hate constant "update now?" messages.

With Ubuntu, most of what I need's in the repositories. If not, you can probably tack on a PPA. Homebrew and Macports are okay, but they aren't a complete solution.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 08:00:58 »
It depends on what you expect. I find Homebrew on my Mac to be a pretty complete solution, combined with the App Store.

I got way more update notifications on my Ubuntu box than anything else. Although that was a few years ago.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 15:51:41 »
Yeah depends what you need. I just couldn't have 20 different things phoning home for updates. Not on a general purpose desktop, with lots of software installed.

Offline vyshane

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 21:42:43 »
Yeah depends what you need. I just couldn't have 20 different things phoning home for updates. Not on a general purpose desktop, with lots of software installed.

That ship has already sailed. Use a smartphone? You probably have heaps of apps constantly phoning home on there. I'd be more worried about these.

Offline dndlmx

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 16 May 2013, 22:04:42 »
It's not about privacy, like I'm paranoid. I mean they update on their own accord. Usually when you start them up, which is annoying.
They are not in tune with a system apparatus for updates, otherwise known as a package manager.  :)

The way software is handled on phones, is actually much better.

Offline quickcrx702

• Ready to bomb with Vietnam tatted on my back
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 17 May 2013, 01:54:10 »

I prefer Linux, but I have a bunch of work related stuff that only runs on Windows, for example vendor specific IP - PBX management software and managed services software, that uses stupid exe's instead of a web browser, has no Linux(or Mac) equivalent and doesn't run well on Wine.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #85 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:19:46 »
My primary computer runs Windows now. I used to run Mint but I've become complacent and lazy, so back to Windows! I use Windows for my desktop (gaming) for obvious reasons.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 21:41:52 »

Offline le_doosh

« Reply #87 on: Sun, 19 May 2013, 22:25:01 »
Is both an option?

Offline swathe

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 04:15:02 »
Gentoo Linux on my laptop and desktop.

At work it's all windows and I'm a CTO and chief sysadmin.
DAS Professional MX Blue
Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Edition MX Blue

Linux + Emacs

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 23 May 2013, 12:53:41 »
Mac is too simplified for me so I go Windows, but we edit at Final Cut Pro X (weird for a company right?) for run and gun interviews so we go mac. Still prefer PC though :)
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline yester64

« Reply #90 on: Sun, 26 May 2013, 14:43:52 »
I always wondered. Even if i were willing to buy a Mac (they are cute aren't they) i only could afford an iMac which is an All-In_one computer. Nothing wrong with that per se. But since everything is in one unit, once for example the screen fails the whole computer is gone to repair.
Also there not as powerful as a full fledged computer.
For all my life i used 90% of my time a PC or a system that i could expand at my will. With a Mac thats not that possible. I do regard Mac's as good computers but i am not sure if they would serve me as well as a good pc.
And yes, gaming was one of the things that are important to me as well. I don't use Steam really anymore but rather GOG. The good thing is i play mostly older games but from time to time i would also play something new maybe.

Offline tufty

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 13:54:35 »
I always wondered. Even if i were willing to buy a Mac (they are cute aren't they) i only could afford an iMac which is an All-In_one computer. Nothing wrong with that per se. But since everything is in one unit, once for example the screen fails the whole computer is gone to repair.
Indeed, that could happen.  On the other hand, I am currently typing this on a 24" iMac that dates back to April 2008.  In 5 years it's had one hard drive failure (annoyingly, but perhaps predictably, just out of warranty), which lost me 4 hours of time (enough to go to the local computer shop, buy a new drive, install it, and restore from time machine to where I was 4 hours earlier).
WTF have you been smoking?

Compared to a lowest-common-denominator tower cased beige box, perhaps, slightly less powerful.  I'll certainly grant you "less expandable".  On the other hand, they are reliable, attractive, and *silent*.

Offline yester64

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 14:51:49 »
Indeed, that could happen.  On the other hand, I am currently typing this on a 24" iMac that dates back to April 2008.  In 5 years it's had one hard drive failure (annoyingly, but perhaps predictably, just out of warranty), which lost me 4 hours of time (enough to go to the local computer shop, buy a new drive, install it, and restore from time machine to where I was 4 hours earlier).
WTF have you been smoking?

Compared to a lowest-common-denominator tower cased beige box, perhaps, slightly less powerful.  I'll certainly grant you "less expandable".  On the other hand, they are reliable, attractive, and *silent*.

Well, i think i meant graphically. At least thats my impression. Do you game? I ask because this is somewhat important to me since i don't play much on consoles. I don't worry about older games since i can... wait, you can install Windows on it too, right? So you can play all the catalog of Windows gaming anyway.

My PC is now 7 years old and my old Nvidia GT8800 still runs ok for most of the stuff. But it isn't great for newer games anymore. At least not in high resolution.

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #93 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 15:28:21 »
Both. Linux if I'm programming.
Dvorak

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #94 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 16:13:07 »
reliable
[citation needed]

attractive
subjective (I'd choose Dell/HP/Lenovo workstation any day over a macintrash, based on looks.)

*silent*
Nope. Source: We have a lab full of iMacs in school.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 27 May 2013, 16:57:55 »
Windows has games.
I like games.
Therefore, I like windows.

Linux is free.
I like free.
Therefore, I like Linux.

OsX is fancy.
I like fancy
Therfore, I like OsX.

Pretty simple really.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline tufty

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 01:00:30 »
Well, i think i meant graphically. At least thats my impression. Do you game? I ask because this is somewhat important to me since i don't play much on consoles.
Not much, but everything I've thrown at this, it can handle.  But the iMac has what's effectively a laptop graphics setup. I think the current lineup is GTX 660M / 675M, which is probably not significantly (i.e. factors of performance) better than your current setup.

Simon

Offline tooki

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 19:22:15 »
I am a Mac user with no plans to switch, though I use Windows regularly as a secondary OS at work.

As much of a techie as I am, I like to do things with my computers, not do things to them. In other words, I hate doing system administration, and Windows demands way too much such handholding to keep running smoothly. ("Just run msconfig" someone said above. OK. But my Mac requires none of that, it just keeps working well on its own.)

I suffered through 3.5 years of Windows at my last job. I liked a lot of the design of the Windows 7 UI, but there are lots of little user interface details that are wrong -- especially in third-party software Microsoft has no control over. On the Mac, even third-party software tends to be consistent, which results in a lower cognitive load when using new software or switching between apps. (At that job, I had to use a specialized text editor on Windows that had really weird text selection behavior -- different from Word or Mac. It drove me nuts because I always had to remember "Oh, I'm in Program X, I can't use the same keyboard shortcuts and mouse gestures that work EVERYWHERE ELSE.)

Moreover, in those 3.5 years, I ran into problem after problem. I'm not a professional Windows sysadmin and I don't want to be. I never did figure out the causes of all the problems (some I did, but not all). I would have really liked Windows 7, had it functioned as designed. But whatever the reasons, it didn't work right -- I had problems nobody else in the office had -- and that ruined the experience. I have little doubt that a gifted Windows sysadmin could have fixed some or all of those problems, but I didn't have such a person available.

And this is coming from someone who is damned good with computers. A casual user like my mom would be hopelessly lost with those Windows issues and would either resign herself to accepting that "computers just don't work" or to paying someone to come fix it all the time. Her Mac just works, and her friends think she's this computer genius because of the things she does with it.

Someone said early in this thread that (s)he uses Windows and Linux and that the Mac is "unintuitive". Well, yeah, if you approach it as Windows (or Linux, which tends to clone Windows more than Mac). Intuitiveness means "work how I expect", so if you expect Windows behavior and it behaves like a Mac, you'll find it "hard", because the Mac isn't Windows and will not behave like it. The reverse is equally true. Malfunctions aside, neither one is really much easier than the other, but you will always find your "home" platform to be easier than another.

As for cost: Macs cost the same as comparable non-homemade PCs, by which I mean not only specs but also quality. That, for me, pretty much narrows things down to Lenovo's business products (which I think are fantastic hardware). When I bought my Mac Pro (tower, not notebook) in 2008, it cost $1000 less than a lesser-configured Dell Precision Xeon workstation. And now, 5 years later, that Mac Pro still works, has similar benchmark scores to this year's top-of-the-line i7 iMac (except I've enjoyed that performance for 5 years already!), and still has a residual value of $1500. That works out to an annual amortization of about $500/yr. (Not including the regular hard drive upgrades to house my ever-growing TV collection.) That's fantastic long-term value, even if the upfront price was high.

What Apple doesn't do is make entry-level hardware. It begins at midrange and goes up from there.

For me, Linux's achilles heel (as far as mass-market adoption) is usability. In particular, one of the core tenets of good usability is consistency, both within apps and between them. The Apple developer tools and, above all, developer culture strongly encourage consistency. The Windows tools and culture, significantly less so. And on Linux, not at all -- there is no central body with any kind of authority to create, never mind enforce*, UX guidelines. I don't think that a high level of consistency is compatible with the distributed development model of OSS. This isn't intended as an attack, just an observation of an unavoidable consequence of OSS.

*(Microsoft enforces incredibly strict guidelines for the Ribbon. If you want to use it -- it's patented -- you have to sign a license agreement that requires you to adhere to 200 pages of design rules.)

When all is said and done, though, I think it's petty to try and proclaim one winning platform. They each have different strengths and weaknesses which emerged because of the radically different goals and values of their creators and the circumstances under which they evolved. It means that there's a good system for everyone, and that no system is right for everyone. Pick the one you like best and move on -- and let me enjoy the system that works right for me without picking on me for it.

Offline tooki

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:27:45 »
I'd argue that Win7 has by far the best UI of all modern OS's simply becasue of how easy the taskbar is to navigate and how with one key press you can search (effeicentally) your entire machine for files/programs.
I think Win 7 is the best Windows ever, though I am partial to Mac.

FYI, the Mac has had instant systemwide search (which, frankly, works better than Win 7's) since early 2005. You just press Command-spacebar and start typing. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spotlight_(software)

Offline yester64

« Reply #99 on: Tue, 28 May 2013, 20:41:13 »
My computer use is quite modest. A little web, a litte email, music sometimes, gaming is perhaps my main enjoyment.
Thats why i am pondering how easy it is to play for example windows games on a mac.

I do use Windows 7 right now and to be honest, yes it is better than everything that came before. But there is not much that i can see thats really awesome about it.
There is however some software i really like. For example i still use Dopus on my desktop. It just grown on me from the past as i had an Amiga.

Whats important too is that i can use Firefox. I know that on the iPhone any other browser has to use the plain standard engine which makes it slower than safari. Not sure how it is on iOS in comparison.

To me its a lot of possibilities and i am over to upgrade my computer all the time. For that i don't do much anymore. Right now i play Baldurs Gate 2 which is quite old.