Author Topic: Calculators?  (Read 30559 times)

Offline Nuke

Calculators?
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 00:33:59 »
Collecting is addictive.  I visit all the thrift shops in my area about 27,000 times a week and buy every remotely interesting or valuable calculator I can get my hands on.  Some I plan to keep, and others I've been planning to put on eBay for a while.  Most of the 4 function calculators aren't worth much more than $10 unless they're from the reeeeely early 70's or a unique design. They're just neat relics for both their technology and design.  Any scientific calculator from the 70's and even into the early 80's seems to be pretty desirable (from my nosing around on eBay), especially the older HP models.  Funny thing is, I don't even love math that much.

My collection, 1972-present:

Shot at 2010-10-29
IBM Model M (\'91), IBM M2 (BS), IBM M2 (dome), Fujitsu FKB4700 (peerless), Dell AT101W (black alps), Acer 6311 (phony alps), Focus 5001 (white alps w/ calculator!), IBM Selectric (gen 1)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Calculators?
« Reply #51 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 02:16:27 »
RPN for the win!

• HP32S, my main man.
  • HP12C, the only RPN HP that has never stopped production. I found this one for $10 at a garage sale and couldn't leave without it.
  • Pickett N-500-ES LogLog, saw me through college.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
Calculators?
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 10:58:59 »
Casio fx-790P

Programmable in Basic... and a bizarre simulated assembly language!!

I upgraded its RAM in 1987 - up to a massive 16kb!

Hasn't seen any use for nearly 20 years now I guess, but it's nice that it still works :-)

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Calculators?
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 12:27:03 »
Looks like a super hack. Is that a custom job, or did Casio invent that wiring?

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
Calculators?
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 12:49:23 »
Quote from: ricercar;240521
Looks like a super hack. Is that a custom job, or did Casio invent that wiring?

I did it - even Casio wouldn't do something that messy lol!
The space was designed for a RAM module though.

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
Calculators?
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 15:46:22 »
I love ambitious projects that win. I did that kind of unsupported hack to a Zenith MinisPort laptop, but without the point-to-point wiring. Said that it maxxed out at 1MB, but there was a row of pads on the PCB that hosted another 1MB SIPP. $100 for a 1MB SIPP was way more than I should have afforded, but My hands were steady and my heat sinks finally put to use. 2MB for DOS was like 2GB is for XP--totally spacious; I could run GEOS from RAM disk d: and DOS from ROM (disk c:) and leave the external floppy drive at home.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 October 2010, 15:48:53 by ricercar »

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
Calculators?
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 30 October 2010, 21:13:16 »
Nice one - that gave you about three times the memory to play with! (Man, I'm glad we don't have to deal with loading drivers into high memory with QEMM etc. these days).

Talking of memory... I'd completely forgotten that I'd modded it, or that I even still had it. Seeing another Casio in a similar case made me think of it, so I dug it out and found some batteries to see if it still worked. It wasn't until I removed the back and saw those wires that I remembered modding it - took me right back there!

Offline maxlugar

Calculators?
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 00:36:29 »
Quote from: ricercar;240411
RPN for the win!

Show Image

• HP32S, my main man.
  • HP12C, the only RPN HP that has never stopped production. I found this one for $10 at a garage sale and couldn't leave without it.
  • Pickett N-500-ES LogLog, saw me through college.

Yeah Baby! Go HP!  Give me RPN or nothing.  I hate people who hand me their stupid algebraic calculators to use in meetings.

**** the = sign key.  Give me memory stacks and rolls any day.

I'm a CPA who despises 10 key roll tape adding machines.  I prefer to add numbers on my HP 12-C or using my Realforce 23UB connected to my PC running Excel.  

I'll have to dig out the PINK Sharp calculator they gave me when I took the uniform CPA exam almost 20 years ago.  Hmm, what is the current market value of a 20 year old pink CPA calculator?   Probably nada.

(although it might look nice next to a pink Filco keyboard)
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 November 2010, 00:39:59 by maxlugar »
Emperor of the IBM 84-key AT Model F Darkside

Offline Sam

Calculators?
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 05 November 2010, 00:45:55 »
Quote from: maxlugar;242819
Yeah Baby! Go HP!  Give me RPN or nothing.  I hate people who hand me their stupid algebraic calculators to use in meetings.

OTOH, I love people who want to borrow my HP calculator and watch their face.  Usually after a few minutes they give up and ask me where the Equal key is.  Sometimes they just sheepishly hand it back to me without having the nerve to ask how to use it.  Love it.

Offline mike

Calculators?
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 06 November 2010, 15:25:40 »
Just resurrected this :-

with some new batteries. Despite being stashed for years it now works fine. And was free.

Not quite as nifty as my other HP :-

But I like the form factor better.
Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline nathanscribe

Calculators?
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 07 November 2010, 05:43:35 »
Nice.  I just fished out my old Casio FX-7000G but the batteries (3xCR2032) lasted less than a day, from new.  Yipes!  Back in the cupboard...
Conquering the world with BASIC since 1982

Offline mike

Calculators?
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 10 November 2010, 14:32:54 »
And for those with tired eyes, a calculator on an Android slate :-

(with the HP11C for scale)

And something a little more historic ... an FX-702P :-

Keyboards: Unicomp UB40T56 with JP3 removed, Unicomp UB4044A, Filco Tenkeyless Brown (with pink highlights), Access AKE1223231, IBM DisplayWriter, Das Keyboard III, and a few others.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
Re: Calculators?
« Reply #62 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 13:10:27 »
Here's my collection so far.

Planning on adding an HP 12C and some TI-84 model later this year.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 13:58:07 »
Here's my collection so far.

Show Image

Planning on adding an HP 12C and some TI-84 model later this year.

This is the (archival) thread ,  Below is the new calculator thread.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=99594.msg2748660#new

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 19 April 2019, 14:56:42 »
Come on guys: No true calc HPs?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 10:58:22 »
Had to swap out my old HP35s for a new one, a few buttons are failing.

The new one seems much heavier and the buttons almost click compared to the old one.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Altis

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 20:05:44 »
(From the other calculator thread, here's the ones I use):

The tools of the engineering student, the Casio fx-991MS and the fx-991EX (Classwiz).

I've been thinking of doing a post on all my mechanical pencils and pens sometime as the collection has grown quite a bit.

WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 29 April 2019, 23:53:31 »
Had to swap out my old HP35s for a new one, a few buttons are failing.

The new one seems much heavier and the buttons almost click compared to the old one.
Show Image

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That sounds not HP quality like. The calc in my avi has been working for more than 30 years so far. No failures of any kind. The legends of its double shot keys are yellowed though.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 30 April 2019, 10:41:49 »
Current calculator is some Basics one from school  :D

Offline Altis

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 01 May 2019, 14:36:50 »
Does anyone know of any desk calculators that are scientific (and possibly RPN)?

Seems like desk calculators are only for accountants or something.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Olumin

• "Guy walks into a doctor's office..."
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 03 May 2019, 12:37:45 »
They still work like the day they were built. German engineering... and well, Lichtenstein I guess. Same anyway...

And one "modern" one. No idea why its not upright, my file is...

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #71 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 12:02:10 »
Does anyone know of any desk calculators that are scientific (and possibly RPN)?

There is a version of a desktop HP scientific calculator. But it is discontinued.

Offline Altis

« Reply #72 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 13:32:44 »

There is a version of a desktop HP scientific calculator. But it is discontinued.

Show Image

Seems like those very rare and old ones are the only ones around (and quite rare at that).

I'm tempted to make one, actually, as it could be a fun project and I think somewhat useful.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #73 on: Sat, 04 May 2019, 17:22:14 »

Show Image

Seems like those very rare and old ones are the only ones around (and quite rare at that).

I'm tempted to make one, actually, as it could be a fun project and I think somewhat useful.

I am sure that some old guys and girls  may be interested in buying one desktop RPN calculator.

Offline Altis

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 10:04:29 »

I am sure that some old guys and girls  may be interested in buying one desktop RPN calculator.

I'm thinking more along the lines of making whatever I come up with open source so anybody would be able to build it.

Offline nelamvr6

« Reply #75 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 10:27:49 »

HP 42S
Keychron Q6 w/ Zeal Clickiez | IBM Model F AT | Leopold FC660C | HHKB Type S

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #76 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 17:38:24 »

I'm thinking more along the lines of making whatever I come up with open source so anybody would be able to build it.

Yeah. I have seen a few open source projects for handheld RPN calcs around. A desktop would add nicely.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #77 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 17:39:38 »
Show Image

HP 42S

I sold mine to someone in Germany like ten years ago. Also my HP41CX went on sale several years ago.

Offline nelamvr6

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 17:54:24 »
Show Image

HP 42S

I sold mine to someone in Germany like ten years ago. Also my HP41CX went on sale several years ago.

I should probably sell mine, I'm not using it, it's just sitting there, gaining value...
Keychron Q6 w/ Zeal Clickiez | IBM Model F AT | Leopold FC660C | HHKB Type S

Offline JP

« Reply #79 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 18:45:54 »
A couple of mine. Haven't used them in ages. I keep the batteries out of course. I remember buying the TI-86 for $1 at a yard sale. It was a bit different to use as all my high school math books had instructions using the classic TI-83.

218673-0

« Last Edit: Sun, 05 May 2019, 18:48:25 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 05 May 2019, 23:06:39 »
Show Image

HP 42S

I should probably sell mine, I'm not using it, it's just sitting there, gaining value...

It may sell pretty quickly at the right price. Most other HP models take forever to sell, but the 32sii, 42s, 15c and 41cx.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #81 on: Tue, 07 May 2019, 08:54:59 »

It may sell pretty quickly at the right price. Most other HP models take forever to sell, but the 32sii, 42s, 15c and 41cx.

Selling a calculator is sick..  Only alley addicts need't sink so low..

Offline Shapey Fiend

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 15:55:48 »
My dad brought home a slide rule a while ago and started enthusiastically extolling its virtues.

20 minutes later he'd cast it aside saying he'd forgotten what a gigantic pain in the arse they were.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 10 May 2019, 16:15:58 »
My dad brought home a slide rule a while ago and started enthusiastically extolling its virtues.

20 minutes later he'd cast it aside saying he'd forgotten what a gigantic pain in the arse they were.

I was taught how to use a slide rule in school, and was halfway through college when modern calculators came out. They cost $350 and couldn't take a square root.

They are surprisingly accurate (more so at one end of the scale than the other, of course) but since they ignore orders of magnitude, you have to be very careful.

PS - I have used variations of the Texas Instruments TI-30 almost exclusively since the early 1980s.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07