Author Topic: Democratic National Convention (Previously RNC Thread)  (Read 14923 times)

Offline Air tree

• Better late than never ^-^
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
Democratic National Convention (Previously RNC Thread)
« on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 12:58:10 »
Anyone else catching this likely **** show? I'm sure somebody will be saying stupid ****, it's just a matter of time.

EDIT: Democratic national convention time in just a few short days.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2016, 23:47:21 by Air tree »

Offline Porkins

• HHKB Pro
Re: Republican National Convention
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 13:16:51 »
Ted Cruz is threatening to have all the delegates loyal to him walk out at the last minute, leaving a bunch of empty seats to make Trump look bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Custom KC60

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 15:02:37 »
It can't be any worse than the Libertarian convention.

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 15:27:32 »
It can't be any worse than the Libertarian convention.
We can't rule anything out!

It's just getting good now!  ^-^

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 15:38:18 »
It'll be a good time, that's for sure. 

Also, the news coverage on it made me realize that Trump and Pence are almost exactly the same skin color, so they must be made for each other!
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline nugglets

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 10:36:40 »
Melania Trump's speech tho  :))
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 10:40:29 »
My wife has good words. The best words.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 11:45:58 »

When Michelle Obama says them they're bad words.  Really just the worst.  But when my wife says them?  They're the best words.
Duck Blackbird - Gaterstotles /// O'Mira - V Blacks /// LZ GH v2 - V Clears /// Leopold FC980C /// TGR Jane CE v2 (unbuilt) /// Lin Dolphin 2021 (unbuilt)

Offline Peripheral Prophet

• Lets change the game
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 11:53:45 »

The best words, Believe me, believe me, the best.  :D

Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 14:48:54 »
Although it was survived worse, there is no way that speech written to reflect positively on the Trump campaign. We were Rick-Rolled ^-^

Quote from: Melania Trump
“He will never, ever give up. And, most importantly, he will never, ever let you down.”

I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 14:57:06 »
Now he's denying it and blaming it on Clinton.

This man has supporters. A lot of them. Holy ****.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 15:15:45 »
Now he's denying it and blaming it on Clinton.

You just haven't figured it out. Michelle Obama time-travelled to the future, read Melania's speech, and took it back to the past to use it herself.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2016/07/19/paul-manafort-blames-hillary-clinton-for-melania-trump-speech-plagiarism-allegation/
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 16:03:59 »
The main theme so far seems to be that you should live in fear in America and the Democrats are the worst.

Fear is an amazing motivator.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Air tree

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Formerly not demik
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 22:24:55 »
Cruz came out saying "Vote your conscience" is the best thing ever.

I hate that slimy bastard, but I love him for creating an entertaining speech.  :))

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 03:38:04 »
This convention is such a ****show.

The whole GOP campaign is like a clown car of derp. Every time you think the campaign couldn’t get any stupider or more ridiculous, because come on this isn’t a comedy skit, it manages to outdo itself. Can they really fit more than 40 clowns in there? Tune in tomorrow to find out.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2016, 03:39:39 by jacobolus »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 07:33:56 »
I am really getting sick of hearing (sane) people calling Trump a "sociopath" when he is clearly a psychopath.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/wicked-deeds/201401/how-tell-sociopath-psychopath

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 08:33:13 »

I hate that slimy bastard, but I love him for creating an entertaining speech.  :))

I'd honestly rather have Trump than Cruz though, as Cruz has the whole Evangelical-nutjob aspect to him that Trump lacks.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 08:41:51 »

I'd honestly rather have Trump than Cruz though, as Cruz has the whole Evangelical-nutjob aspect to him that Trump lacks.

I agree. Everything that is wrong with Trump is wrong with Cruz, plus that. Cruz just knows what to hide.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/02/jimmy-carter-donald-trump-ted-cruz-218707

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 09:13:03 »

I agree. Everything that is wrong with Trump is wrong with Cruz, plus that. Cruz just knows what to hide.

Having been raised by them, the Evangelical Christian camp of the far-right scares me a ton.  I still love and work in an area that has an extremely high number of them, and the **** that comes out of their mouths on a regular basis is pretty frightening.

• Lets change the game
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 09:29:58 »

Having been raised by them, the Evangelical Christian camp of the far-right scares me a ton.  I still love and work in an area that has an extremely high number of them, and the **** that comes out of their mouths on a regular basis is pretty frightening.

Im a Christian through and through and they scare me too..  In fact, many Christians actively speak against the hateful rhetoric that seems to come from the extremist right..  Of course, that doesnt make the news..
Check out my live build streams on twitch and join my discord! https://discord.gg/QzeSQj2  https://www.twitch.tv/peripheral_installer

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 09:35:19 »

Uh. Ted Cruz 2020. He is now okay with all religions!

That pandering ****

http://www.bustle.com/articles/173960-this-ted-cruz-rnc-speech-quote-about-diversity-freedom-is-totally-unexpected

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 09:45:47 »

In fact, many Christians actively speak against the hateful rhetoric that seems to come from the extremist right.

Of course, that doesnt make the news..

Well, at least it did when Jimmy Carter said it in front of the House of Lords in England earlier this year.

• Lets change the game
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 09:51:30 »

In fact, many Christians actively speak against the hateful rhetoric that seems to come from the extremist right.

Well, at least it did when Jimmy Carter said it in front of the House of Lords in England earlier this year.

Its still not enough..  All the 'rockstar' 'christians' seem to get all the press, yet they rarely represent the orthodox beliefs Christ taught..  Makes me sick to be quite honest..

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:03:34 »

Im a Christian through and through and they scare me too..  In fact, many Christians actively speak against the hateful rhetoric that seems to come from the extremist right..  Of course, that doesnt make the news..

There are a lot of Christians who are indeed great people and don't buy into it, but from personal experience a lot of them won't speak up because the Evangelicals get downright nasty with them if they do.  The church I went to growing up was and still is a full on speaking in tongues/casting demons out/run around the church because of the Holy Spirit/4-7 hour church service kind of place, but the pastor's oldest son has kind of grown out of it and has become much more moderate in the last 5-10 years.  When I see him post things on Facebook the parishioners from his dad's church are absolutely merciless and often tell him straight up that hopefully he enjoys the company of homosexuals and rapists because that's who his company will be in hell.

It's sad but kind of humorous now that I am on the outside looking in, as to the kind of sectarian behavior that a lot of Christians and churches exhibit.  In fact, now that I think about it, every church that I attended growing up had a church split while I was attending or shortly after I left, with at least two of those churches considering those who left "not true believers."

Uh. Ted Cruz 2020. He is now okay with all religions!

That pandering ****

http://www.bustle.com/articles/173960-this-ted-cruz-rnc-speech-quote-about-diversity-freedom-is-totally-unexpected

In regards to that, I present a comment I shamelessly stole from reddit:

You're damn right it's a trap; these words sound familiar?

"...the rights of all of us to live according to our conscience."

Let me guess, according to his conscience LGBT cannot be married, abortion is murder, and he should have the 'right' to disciminate etc etc. Whenever I hear 'according to our conscience' from a religious person I think here comes an appeal to allow persecution and discrimination of minorities.

• Lets change the game
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:10:18 »
You nailed it Waateva, persecution of the Church typically, in my experience, comes from the 'church'... 

We meet in homes privately away from the mainstream Churches for that reason..  Pretty sad, but all we can do is distance ourselves from them..

Offline nugglets

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:11:55 »

Its still not enough..  All the 'rockstar' 'christians' seem to get all the press, yet they rarely represent the orthodox beliefs Christ taught..  Makes me sick to be quite honest..

I'm not religious, but I was raised in a Roman Catholic family. My father, his two brothers, and three of my mom's cousins were all in the Seminary together, though none became priests. My aunt and two other uncles are principles at catholic schools. It runs deep, and this isn't an area anyone would accuse of being overly religious.

Not a single one of them can believe the bull**** that comes out of the mouths of people like Cruz. It was the same with Bachman saying that God told her to run for president.

While I don't personally believe, it's not only sickening to see people say such things for political gain, it's absolutely infuriating to see people exploit and misrepresent the faith of others in such an obvious way. It feeds stereotypes and opens up sane, rational, intelligent, peaceful and loving people to undeserved ridicule by those who think these nutjobs are the norm.

• Lets change the game
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:17:07 »

I'm not religious, but I was raised in a Roman Catholic family. My father, his two brothers, and three of my mom's cousins were all in the Seminary together, though none became priests. My aunt and two other uncles are principles at catholic schools. It runs deep, and this isn't an area anyone would accuse of being overly religious.

Not a single one of them can believe the bull**** that comes out of the mouths of people like Cruz. It was the same with Bachman saying that God told her to run for president.

While I don't personally believe, it's not only sickening to see people say such things for political gain, it's absolutely infuriating to see people exploit and misrepresent the faith of others in such an obvious way. It feeds stereotypes and opens up sane, rational, intelligent, peaceful and loving people to undeserved ridicule by those who think these nutjobs are the norm.

if God told her to run, why didnt she win lol

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:29:36 »
You nailed it Waateva, persecution of the Church typically, in my experience, comes from the 'church'... 

We meet in homes privately away from the mainstream Churches for that reason..  Pretty sad, but all we can do is distance ourselves from them..

Even though it's old, I always loved this joke by Emo Philips.

Once I saw this guy on a bridge about to jump. I said, "Don't do it!"
He said, "Nobody loves me."
I said, "God loves you. Do you believe in God?"
He said, "Yes."
I said, "Are you a Christian or a Jew?"
He said, "A Christian."
I said, "Me, too! Protestant or Catholic?"
He said, "Protestant."
I said, "Me, too! What franchise?"
He said, "Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Baptist or Southern Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist or Northern Liberal Baptist?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region, or Northern Conservative Baptist Eastern Region?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region."
I said, "Me, too! Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1879, or Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912?"
He said, "Northern Conservative Baptist Great Lakes Region Council of 1912."
I said, "Die, heretic!" And I pushed him over.

That's because Catholics aren't taught nor do they believe the same crazy bull**** as Cruz and a lot of other Evangelicals.  My wife was loosely raised Catholic, and when I tell her stories about how people believe Noah and the ark literally happened, or that the Earth really was only created ~6000 years ago, or that God really did command a couple bears to slay a bunch of teenagers for making fun of a prophet, she is dumbfounded.

if God told her to run, why didnt she win lol

I believe of the dozen or so people who ran for the 2016 nomination, the only who who didn't say God told him to run is the one who actually got the nomination.

« Last Edit: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:33:08 by Waateva »

• Lets change the game
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:45:24 »
Thats funny waateva, the Catholics official position is that the flood took place and Noah was a historical person..

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:50:08 »
Religion is cray. But as long as it works for you , you keep it to yourself and you aren't harassing others. DO YOU.

• Lets change the game
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 10:53:27 »
Religion is cray. But as long as it works for you , you keep it to yourself and you aren't harassing others. DO YOU.

Couldnt agree more bro, couldnt agree more.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:26:50 »
Thats funny waateva, the Catholics official position is that the flood took place and Noah was a historical person..

Sure it is, but I have yet to meet the Catholic who will actually argue that 2 of every land-dwelling species on planet Earth somehow managed to fit on a boat that was supposedly a little less than half the length of the Titanic.  Most Catholics I have talked to about this stuff seem to see the Bible as a great book, but that most of the stories in it aren't supposed to be taken literally, and even among Christians Biblical literalism is a relatively recent development.

• Lets change the game
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:33:47 »

Sure it is, but I have yet to meet the Catholic who will actually argue that 2 of every land-dwelling species on planet Earth somehow managed to fit on a boat that was supposedly a little less than half the length of the Titanic.  Most Catholics I have talked to about this stuff seem to see the Bible as a great book, but that most of the stories in it aren't supposed to be taken literally, and even among Christians Biblical literalism is a relatively recent development.

I think much of what you just said is highly contestable, and some of it is just patently false, but this really isnt the time or place for such a conversation, so I will respectfully refrain from discussing it any further.  If you would like to continue, perhaps a private message is more fitting, so that we dont take away from the intent of the op.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:46:50 »

I think much of what you just said is highly contestable, and some of it is just patently false, but this really isnt the time or place for such a conversation, so I will respectfully refrain from discussing it any further.  If you would like to continue, perhaps a private message is more fitting, so that we dont take away from the intent of the op.

Fair enough, we will have to agree to disagree :)

• Lets change the game
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:50:43 »

Thats what I love about this place, so many people like you are very cordial, easy to talk to and respectful in the process.  I just love it here.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 11:53:36 »

Thats what I love about this place, so many people like you are very cordial, easy to talk to and respectful in the process.  I just love it here.

Well, we're all here for keyboards.  If I really wanted to argue about religion and/or politics I could saunter over to Facebook and find enough to keep me entertained for days :D

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #40 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:01:09 »

You don't have to keep it to yourself.  You also shouldn't harass others, and think that they need to believe just because you do.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #41 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:07:17 »
I think religion should be kept to yourself. It's your faith/relationship with your higher power.

The only church that should be preached is the church of topretology.

Hail hhkb. The mightiest keyboard in the topre kingdom.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #42 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:09:57 »
I think religion should be kept to yourself. It's your faith/relationship with your higher power.

Well, we disagree.  And that's cool.  I've had several good conversations with people of all stripes about religion.  And because we understood that it was a conversation, not a conversion, they were constructive.  I don't think it's necessary to convert people.  But conversation about the things in the world and what we believe- it's central to knowing someone.  I'd personally rather someone told me outright that they didn't like me because of my race, religion, etc.  Because then, I could know who they really are, rather than the PC BS we're led to put forth.  And I could choose based on the truth whether I wanted them in my life.

• Lets change the game
« Reply #43 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:10:46 »

lol, topretology... *wins thread*

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:14:44 »

How unfortunate.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:17:29 »

Well, we disagree.  And that's cool.  I've had several good conversations with people of all stripes about religion.  And because we understood that it was a conversation, not a conversion, they were constructive.  I don't think it's necessary to convert people.  But conversation about the things in the world and what we believe- it's central to knowing someone.  I'd personally rather someone told me outright that they didn't like me because of my race, religion, etc.  Because then, I could know who they really are, rather than the PC BS we're led to put forth.  And I could choose based on the truth whether I wanted them in my life.

I agree with demik, but I completely understand your point as well.  The problem with discussing a lot of things is that if someone believes it "hard" enough, they often aren't interested in having a conversation about it, they are just waiting for you to be done so they can offer their rebuttal.  So the whole time you are talking, they are just formulating a response rather than actually listening and trying to understand why maybe you believe differently than them.  This is certainly not limited to religion either, as people do this with tons of things and I catch myself doing the same thing, but I have been actively trying to correct this behavior because it's not a good thing.

• Lets change the game
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:28:33 »
I think the problem is even worse, most people lack the philosophical training to properly present their contentions or positions with the necessary justification, or even worse, opposing presuppositions..
Its like starting a game of chess with a stalemate, it just doesnt work, and it goes no where.

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #47 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:38:16 »

I agree with demik, but I completely understand your point as well.  The problem with discussing a lot of things is that if someone believes it "hard" enough, they often aren't interested in having a conversation about it, they are just waiting for you to be done so they can offer their rebuttal.  So the whole time you are talking, they are just formulating a response rather than actually listening and trying to understand why maybe you believe differently than them.  This is certainly not limited to religion either, as people do this with tons of things and I catch myself doing the same thing, but I have been actively trying to correct this behavior because it's not a good thing.

That has been the case in some of my conversations.  But in many more, especially when my own demeanor is one of conversation, with the requisite listening that goes with conversation, though we may part with our same differences, it has been a good experience. 

I've just personally found when the aim is to conversate, and indeed educate, that there have been good outcomes.  And by good outcome, I'm not talking conversion, but rather the honest sharing of differing beliefs, where both sides get something out of it.

Offline Waateva

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:48:27 »
So about the RNC...pretty crazy huh guys?

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #49 on: Thu, 21 July 2016, 12:48:57 »

This is what happens when your life just revolves around one thing.

But as you stated, it's not just religion. Marijuana smokers are huge culprits about this **** too.