Author Topic: Ducky Dye-Subs are in!  (Read 38810 times)

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
Re: Ducky Dye-Subs are in!
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 27 June 2013, 15:28:19 »
I can't speak with that much authority, as I don't have one, but I would imagine that the glass transition temperature to be more of a deciding factor than the melt point (unless that's what you are talking about). I would expect these to be just press fit. You don't need to rely on welding and adhesives if friction will do the job. If the hole and peg diameters are as different as you say, then you can rely on friction alone to protect the peg from falling out.

The types of manufacturing processes you are describing would mean the windowed keycaps would cost several dollars alone, which I doubt ducky would go for in a product of this price.

Still, without seeing it firsthand, I can't make any definitive claims.

Well remember that there's two different sets of temperatures. ABS has a glass transition point of 105C but no actual melting point, whereas PBT has a glass transition point of 223C+ but can actually be damaged by excessive heat. (ABS can't be. It just stays melted.) These are definitely not friction fit though - I've worked a lot with friction fit parts. The lens is too thin at the viewing point and for the sides to be friction fit - the squeeze would cause deformation and cracking. Plus no requirement for a lip on the underside. So it's definitely got some form of adhesive. (Plus friction fit they would normally go in from the top instead of from the bottom for cleaner look.)

I think the hole/peg diameter difference is a misunderstanding - the drilling process has obvious stepping, but the hole and peg diameters appear to be the exact same. My guess would be that they use automated drilling on completed keycaps, which are then cooled (silly me forgot PBT expands/contracts omnidirectionally) to get the lens in. Or I could be completely wrong! I'm just guessing here, but the lip is definitely more than just a stop point.

Hey ShakeR, how about you get Ducky to put together a video showing us their manufacturing process? :D
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline ShakeR

• http://mechanicalkeyboards.com
« Reply #101 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 17:09:37 »
I love the PBT keycaps.  Came perfect without a single visual artifact which is more than I can say for the latest Nvidia drivers.  :D

(Attachment Link)

Are those the dark grey caps?  They look tanish in the photo.

The gray does have some brown in it by the looks of it.  Here the Gray Shine Keys on my Shine II, they are truly gray, dark gray.

(Attachment Link)

Wow, that's pretty.
MechanicalKeyboards.com - What do you type on?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #102 on: Mon, 01 July 2013, 18:43:44 »
Ok, now that I have one of these on my desk, I have to say that you either have bionic eyes or you can't see any spalls or distortion in the keycap windows.

Life-size picture:

Can you see any issues here?

Seriously.  They are really nice little lenses, and if you get really close, you can even see little tiny Fresnel circles in the lens.

So here is a pro tip:  don't type while wearing a microscope strapped to your head!

Google "microscope on head". First page.

Thanks for bringing these in, MK!

- Ron | samwisekoi
This message typed on a Ducky Pro with MX Greens!
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 12:08:56 »
Haha, awesome. 

I will admit I do not have the technical proficiency that many on this forum do so maybe I'm missing something, but I honestly couldn't find any issues with caps that I looked at.  They looked / felt amazing to me. 

Offline actionbastard

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 12:48:34 »
My numlock and scrolllock have a little bit of spurs on the keys past the window, but it's really not a big deal. I can scratch/sand them off if I'm really anal.

The LEDs are too bright though, that would be my only complaint, not a big deal though.

This keyboard is really solid.
XArmor U9BL-S | Ducky DK9008G2 PRO | ErgoDox (soon)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 18:14:42 »
Here is a weird one...

New Ducky Pro with Greens and All-Gray PBT keycaps.  Nice board.  Decided to go 24 hours before replacing any keycaps. Did that.

This afternoon, I replaced the alphas with Blue-on-White Imsto PBT alphas from the Lysol GB.  They look quite nice surrounded by the Gray Ducky keycaps.  Except...

The Imsto spacebar sticks on the Cherry-style stabilizers.  No part of the exterior of the spacebar touches any other key or the case, but if the spacebar is seated at all firmly it sticks into the stabs.

There is no visible difference in the stems except that the taller OEM stems are, well, taller.  I can't spend any more time on this tonight, but tomorrow I will try other spacebars and take some photos.

TL;DR imsto PBT spacebar sticks on Ducky stabilizers.

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #106 on: Tue, 02 July 2013, 18:36:04 »
No problem so far for my board... expect one "non-clicky" right arrow key
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 02:24:09 »
Here is a weird one...

New Ducky Pro with Greens and All-Gray PBT keycaps.  Nice board.  Decided to go 24 hours before replacing any keycaps. Did that.

This afternoon, I replaced the alphas with Blue-on-White Imsto PBT alphas from the Lysol GB.  They look quite nice surrounded by the Gray Ducky keycaps.  Except...

The Imsto spacebar sticks on the Cherry-style stabilizers.  No part of the exterior of the spacebar touches any other key or the case, but if the spacebar is seated at all firmly it sticks into the stabs.

There is no visible difference in the stems except that the taller OEM stems are, well, taller.  I can't spend any more time on this tonight, but tomorrow I will try other spacebars and take some photos.

- Ron | samwisekoi

Ron, it's not just the IMSTOs. My stock Ducky spacebar has quickly developed a tell-tale stabilizer rub. I thought it was from me hitting too far off-center on the spacebar - nope. There is definitely stabilizer rub going on in there. I've got too much to get done right now though so I can't pop it off to see what's up. It was also pretty pronounced on the enter key but that's worn in. (And I know I hit that one off-center.) Also a very 'thuddy' action on the numpad plus key that feels like something interfering with the stabilizer.

Your guess is as good as mine as to why those keys at the moment, though. Shift keys and backspace are just fine, as is numpad enter. I did pop enter and couldn't find a thing off about it. :/
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 09:50:01 »
Here is a weird one...

- Ron | samwisekoi

With my shine 2 I had that problem with 2 different space bars from the DSA retro set.

However I am currently using thick imsto pbt on it just fine.

One would think ducky boards wouldn't have issues like these.

I was considering getting one of these new 'pro' boards but will wait to see others experiences.

Offline ARod

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 30 July 2013, 18:48:08 »
Ordered a Pro with MX Clears, all Gray keycaps, the only choice.  I love MX Browns and just had to own one of these Pro boards with Clears so I broke down.

Offline ARod

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 02 August 2013, 09:34:20 »
The Clears are awesome.  I do prefer them over the Browns.  Just the right level of force for me.  I always felt that the Browns could be a bit stiffer.  They are nice and tight and they make lower noise than the Browns, must be the nature of the Clears.  But, not as ridiculously tough as the Grays. I tried a few of the Pro PBT keycaps on a Shine II with MX Browns and didn't notice much of a difference in the sound from the Shine II keycaps.

Switched out the Blue PBT keycaps from my other Pro board with MX Blues and now I have this Pro with MX Clears with the Blue PBT keycaps I love so much.  Gonna hold onto the Pro MX Blue with all Gray keycaps as a keepsake. 

One other thing to note, the fit on the Clears switch is much tighter, the cross on the switch is thicker.  Pulling the Blue PBT off the Pro MX Blue switches was very easy.  Meaninwhile, pulling the Gray PBT off the Pro MX Clear switches took much more force.  Takes more force to pop it on as well.

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 00:03:49 »
Oh man, after typing on my MX Reds (my favorite switch for the most part), I now find them too light because I'm bottoming out too hard.

So, I bit the bullet and just ordered the MX Dark Grey keyboard.  I'll have to see if this works for me, although I don't know if the Blacks are a big enough jump in stiffness. I'll post a review after I get to use it of course.  Has anyone else bought the Dark Grey's?

I still wish Ducky would put these unique keycaps in more backlit Shine versions.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 00:07:02 »
Blacks are noticeably stiffer than Reds.  You are brave for trying Grays :)  I think most people would find them too stiff.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 11:39:51 »
Oh man, after typing on my MX Reds (my favorite switch for the most part), I now find them too light because I'm bottoming out too hard.

So, I bit the bullet and just ordered the MX Dark Grey keyboard.  I'll have to see if this works for me, although I don't know if the Blacks are a big enough jump in stiffness. I'll post a review after I get to use it of course.  Has anyone else bought the Dark Grey's?

I still wish Ducky would put these unique keycaps in more backlit Shine versions.

Wow! Reds to Dark Greys!  One extreme to the other.  I like your guts Tempest :)

Offline Tarzan

• formerly known as Greystoke
  • * Maker
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:47:27 »

I use the Dark Grey Ducky as my daily driver (typing this post on it, f'instance...).  It is a bit stiff, I find I've adopted a different typing style just for this one board.  I'm going to try the Ducky w/Clears next, it's just hard to put this one on the shelf.   :-\

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 13:50:45 »

I use the Dark Grey Ducky as my daily driver (typing this post on it, f'instance...).  It is a bit stiff, I find I've adopted a different typing style just for this one board.  I'm going to try the Ducky w/Clears next, it's just hard to put this one on the shelf.   :-\

I'll be curious to see how you think the two compare.

Offline ARod

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 21 August 2013, 21:14:39 »

With Clears, coming from Browns for the most part, I had to use more aggressive typing style  :D  I can only imagine the Dark Greys, or Greens for that matter at 80g.  If it's the the Ducky Pro Dye-Sub you ordered, you'll love the feel of the keycaps.  I have both an MX Blue and Clears and they are the best feeling keycaps I've typed on.  Now, if I can only get a Shine 3 in MX Clears with Dye-Sub shine keycaps.........

Offline Tempest790

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 23 August 2013, 17:46:06 »
Well, I picked up the shipment a little while ago, and ... it's the wrong keyboard.

They shipped my a Ducky Zero with Blue MX switches.  Not even close.  Just emailed them back, so I'll have to wait until next week I guess before I get my replacement.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 07:56:14 »
Will you be getting any more of these:

Ducky DK9008G2 PRO Dark Grey Version PBT Mechanical Keyboard (Clear Cherry MX)

(Sorry if this has been asked and answered before...  Can't find such.)

Offline ARod

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 26 August 2013, 14:22:03 »

I don't think they'll be getting any more of those...not any time soon.  You can get a Deck Ice Legend for $190.00 though, very nice board.

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #120 on: Fri, 30 August 2013, 12:23:37 »

Last I heard from Ducky they regretted ever making Dye-Sub PBTs, so I'm not sure how likely they are to make anymore.  Certainly no ETA given to date.

Offline ARod

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 31 August 2013, 23:46:05 »

Last I heard from Ducky they regretted ever making Dye-Sub PBTs, so I'm not sure how likely they are to make anymore.  Certainly no ETA given to date.

I'm glad they decided to give it a go.  Best feeling keycaps I've typed on yet.  Really digging the Pro2 with MX Clears.

Offline dante

« Reply #122 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 07:17:07 »

It should be a crime that they gave up so easily.  If the major issue they are having is in doing dyesub backlit WASD, capslock, numlock, scrolllock - then get rid of them!  Make a G3 Pro and move those LED's off the keys.

I'd like to think of Ducky as the heavy lifter - the trend setter; their efforts force everyone else to improve very much like the effects of the Japanese on the automotive industry.

Offline therecorder

« Reply #123 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 07:28:05 »

It should be a crime that they gave up so easily.  If the major issue they are having is in doing dyesub backlit WASD, capslock, numlock, scrolllock - then get rid of them!  Make a G3 Pro and move those LED's off the keys.

I'd like to think of Ducky as the heavy lifter - the trend setter; their efforts force everyone else to improve very much like the effects of the Japanese on the automotive industry.

I agree completely, but it's never going to happen...  Too expensive to retool for a low volume item.

Offline kenmai9

• Unicornforce
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Skrrr
« Reply #124 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 07:42:57 »
Long shot but is anyone willing to split a ducky with dyesubs? I want the dyesubs, you want the keyboard. Anyone? In particular I want the light grey and white version. OR id be down for the blue/dark grey version. You can choose the switches andd we can work out details later if anyone bites. PM me if you do so I don't clog this thread. Thanks.

For clarity:
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=468
http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=472

I want either of these two.  Black/blue/brown/red switches are available.

Edit: and thanks for your support mashby :)
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 September 2013, 12:02:26 by kenmai9 »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #125 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 11:58:01 »
Long shot but is anyone willing to split a ducky with dyesubs? I want the dyesubs, you want the keyboard. Anyone? In particular I want the light grey and white version. OR id be down for the blue/dark grey version. You can choose the switches andd we can work out details later if anyone bites. PM me if you do so I don't clog this thread. Thanks.

The Ducky dyesubs are really, really nice. I too wish you could buy them on their own. I keep hoping they'll release them as a separate add-on later, but I wish you luck finding someone to split it with you. It's a good idea.

Offline ARod

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 18:47:12 »

None of the dye-subs are backlit.  The ones that are lit have a see through window, a punched/drilled hole with a clear plastic insert.  So, backlit characters are a non-issue. 

The solid Ducky board combined with these solid keys produce a tactile feedback that is just sweet.  I have the board in MX Blue and Clears.  The Pro2 with MX Blues are the best experience on Blues that I've had.  The difference in the keycaps is telling; they are super-solid.  I got that particular keyboard with the gray+blue keycaps.  The blue keycaps are gorgeous.  The Clears are something else, the resistance and feedback are just right.....it's what you are looking for or expecting when you type with Browns.  My next board will be the Pro2 in MX Brown with the white+light gray keycaps so I'll have a total of three  ;D  They really missed the boat on the colors....they should of had MX Greens and MX Clears available with the gray+blue keycaps.  I'd get that MX Green version as well but the keycap colors are all solid dark gray so meh on that.  Splitting them would be easy to do if the colored options were consistent for all the switch types.

If they could have somehow made these keycaps backlit I would of paid YOTS pricing for a board like that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 September 2013, 18:50:19 by ARod »

Offline dante

« Reply #127 on: Sun, 01 September 2013, 19:40:30 »
Not to cause any undue stress but MK only has 1 MX Brown in Blue/Gray in stock :D

Offline ARod

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 19:01:57 »
Krylon Fusion for the win!  It came it out with a nice finish.

40526-0
40528-1

Offline ShakeR

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 13:02:05 »
^ That desk knows what it's like to have some seriously nice keyboard hardware rest upon it.

Just got an email from Ducky and it looks like they may be offering Dye Subs again!

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 05 November 2013, 17:15:14 »
^ That desk knows what it's like to have some seriously nice keyboard hardware rest upon it.

Just got an email from Ducky and it looks like they may be offering Dye Subs again!

Separate keycap sets too?  One can always hope...
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -