Author Topic: Ergonomic Boards that Split at Y rather than B on left half?  (Read 11682 times)

Offline ninjinphu

• Music to Clack to
Does that kind of a board exist? I thought I saw one a few months ago but I like to use my left index finger for the Y button and it's a big enough switch for me to feel really uncomfortable on most split boards as a result.

Offline Findecanor

Re: Ergonomic Boards that Split at Y rather than B on left half?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 08 July 2019, 12:48:56 »
There are a few columnar keyboards with inner keys that can be programmed that way for sure.
The ErgoDox for instance, but it would be a 1×1.5u key.
The Diverge has a 1×1u key.
Many other keyboards have its inner keys shifted vertically a bit too much for comfort.

Offline nevin

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 09 July 2019, 11:04:54 »
most split at 6 columns (you're issue), look for one with 7 columns per side, you should be able to comfortably split it the way you want.

are you looking for a split standard/staggered board (ex. Mistel Barocco), column staggered ortho (ex. ergodox), or just a split ortho board (ex. keeb.io viterbi)
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline ninjinphu

• Music to Clack to
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 08:41:09 »
most split at 6 columns (you're issue), look for one with 7 columns per side, you should be able to comfortably split it the way you want.

are you looking for a split standard/staggered board (ex. Mistel Barocco), column staggered ortho (ex. ergodox), or just a split ortho board (ex. keeb.io viterbi)

I'm looking for a split standard/staggered board - thanks for the help on identifying columns

Offline nevin

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 10 July 2019, 09:01:19 »
@ninjinphu - yeah, that's going to be a tough one...

unless you want to try your hand at building one from scratch? might be the only option. there are good online tools for just about everything from layout, plate/case to firmware. you'd have to assemble and solder (hand wire) the switches & a controller like promicro or similar. and again, there are a lot of great tutorials online for this as well.

what size board are you looking to get?
- full size
- TKL
- compact 75%
- 65%
- 60%
- 40%

do you have an example of one you like but just isn't split in the right spot?
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68