Author Topic: GH CAD Resources Hub  (Read 370513 times)

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
Re: GH CAD Resources Hub
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 02 October 2013, 22:30:58 »
snip
« Last Edit: Thu, 03 October 2013, 03:13:51 by yasuo »
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline redskull

« Reply #51 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 11:16:38 »
Hey! It's a sticky! And at the top!

By the way, thanks for the basic keyboard layouts. I'm working on... something, and I found it very useful.

Thanks, just saw, really happy. I'll post more stuff as it is collected.

I don't have the time in hand, but would love to go through the thousands of posts in the making stuff subforum and any any and everything relevant to the OP.
Hi MOZ,

is it possible to have drawings of aluminium 75% and 60% casings? amazing job by the way make this thread!

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 11:28:31 »

By the way, thanks for the basic keyboard layouts. I'm working on... something, and I found it very useful.

I don't have the time in hand, but would love to go through the thousands of posts in the making stuff subforum and any any and everything relevant to the OP.
Hi MOZ,

is it possible to have drawings of aluminium 75% and 60% casings? amazing job by the way make this thread!

I don't quite follow, do you have an example of what you want?

Offline redskull

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 12:31:03 »

Hi MOZ,

I don't quite follow, do you have an example of what you want?
no i dont. what i meant was drawings of custom aluminium keyboard housings that fits standard pcb's from Filco, etc. or custom pcb's such as the TRix or the ps2avr87.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 13:07:25 »
I am still confused when you say aluminum.

Are you looking for a layered case, cut in aluminum? Or a 3D model that can be milled from aluminium. If the former, then please have a look at my signature, I am still working on creating open source cases for 60% and TKL boards.

If you mean the latter, then sorry I have no experience with 3D modelling and someone else might be able to help you.

Offline redskull

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 21:04:31 »
I am still confused when you say aluminum.

Are you looking for a layered case, cut in aluminum? Or a 3D model that can be milled from aluminium. If the former, then please have a look at my signature, I am still working on creating open source cases for 60% and TKL boards.

If you mean the latter, then sorry I have no experience with 3D modelling and someone else might be able to help you.
ok, just checked your signature, good job. what i meant was the casing is made of aluminium, not acrylic like in your thread. im looking for a case like from a KMAC or LZ series that fit the ps2avr87 pcb. i guess you cant help me then MOZ.  :(

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 21:19:44 »
I can help you with layered designs.

Offline redskull

« Reply #57 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 21:41:16 »
I can help you with layered designs.
may i know how? what i need are casing drawings to send to a CNC place so they can cut aluminiums accordingly.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #58 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 21:53:28 »
I can make the drawings for them.

You could go the way of some members here, where they combined layered design's layers to make a two piece case that could be milled out of solid aluminum.

However I have no idea how to combine the layers, so sorry about that.

Offline redskull

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 22:44:04 »

You could go the way of some members here, where they combined layered design's layers to make a two piece case that could be milled out of solid aluminum.

any pictures of these layered designs?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #60 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 22:46:56 »

Just do Google image search for "litster case" or "acrylic TKL case." I'm sure you will come up with something.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline redskull

« Reply #61 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 23:15:33 »

Just do Google image search for "litster case" or "acrylic TKL case." I'm sure you will come up with something.
thanks jd. so basicly, use the drawings for the acrylic TKL case to CNC an aluminium version of it?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #62 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 23:58:31 »
Yes. However if you go with my case, I would recommend waiting for a bit, as I am still reviewing the design and making possible changes.

If you are using a PS2AVR/Trix PCB, then kbdmania has same case drawings that have been used for production.

Offline redskull

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 00:27:38 »
Yes. However if you go with my case, I would recommend waiting for a bit, as I am still reviewing the design and making possible changes.

If you are using a PS2AVR/Trix PCB, then kbdmania has same case drawings that have been used for production.
i searched kbdmania, but not found the ones like LZ or KMAC; all that i found was skinny-typed casing like GON's.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 00:35:06 »
That is what I meant, you'll find cases that can be laser cut for the PS2AVR/TRIX

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #65 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 20:35:18 »
Does anyone know what the mounting dimensions of a Poker II case are? I've STFW'd, but still can't find much.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 02:38:51 »
I need them myself.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 03:58:04 »
List of members who have made or designed 60% cases:

WhiteFireDragon
The_Beast
boost
oneproduct
treble318
imsto
Photekq
damorgue
nubbinator
Alixinhzai

Maybe that can be your starting point.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2013, 04:01:04 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 08:00:09 »
Bah, I'll pm some people and then post it back here.
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline Thimplum

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Master of all Ponies
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 08:02:23 »
NVM!

I saw pho's acrylic GH60 case, and I noticed that he'd open sourced it. There's only four mounting holes. Would this really work for a poker case?
TP4 FOR ADMIN 2013

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 08:07:24 »
The thing you want to find out is the plate size for the Poker 2, otherwise mounting holes are exactly the same as the GH60.

Offline redskull

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 00:30:08 »
That is what I meant, you'll find cases that can be laser cut for the PS2AVR/TRIX
well, im giving up... for now. cant seem to find drawing for aluminium cases. all that is available under open-source are skinny ones. alu cases most probably go under closed-source, which is very understandable considering the amount of work and effort to make one from scratch.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 22:55:31 »
completely forgot about this repository until melvang asked, but the case modders at bit-tech.net have built an awesome sketchup repository of popular pc cases and pc components. if your keyboard project interacts with more than just the keyboard, this repo is quite helpful. it is located here: http://scc.jezmckean.com/

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 10 October 2013, 23:56:46 »
Thanks a lot kawa.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #74 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 21:30:42 »
Any chance we can get layouts for costar only stabilizer holes in the list on page one for people that either don't want cherry stabs or have a design that prohibits them?  If not how would you go about simplifying the combined stab holes for costar only?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #75 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 21:37:39 »
Any chance we can get layouts for costar only stabilizer holes in the list on page one for people that either don't want cherry stabs or have a design that prohibits them?  If not how would you go about simplifying the combined stab holes for costar only?
You can adapt the Cherry stabiliser holes to Costar very easily! In fact, in a way the Cherry stabiliser holes contain the Costar stabiliser holes.

The center rectangle coloured in black is the Costar stabiliser hole. It's the exact same position as the Cherry stabiliser holes in MOZ's drawings, just remove the excess around the rectangle. Also remove the long lines that connect the stab holes and the switch hole.

Or, alternatively, just use the Cherry stabiliser holes! They will work with both kinds of stabilisers.
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 October 2013, 21:39:40 by Photekq »
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 22:33:14 »
Awesome!

With some CAD software at school and limited access to a 3D printer, I feel obliged to use these resources to make a keycap of my very own.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 22:39:27 »
Awesome!

With some CAD software at school and limited access to a 3D printer, I feel obliged to use these resources to make a keycap of my very own.
Let me know if you need any help man! :)
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #78 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 22:47:59 »
Awesome!

Let me know if you need any help man! :)

I will! Your stem measures will be really helpful.
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #79 on: Sat, 19 October 2013, 23:21:32 »
You can adapt the Cherry stabiliser holes to Costar very easily! In fact, in a way the Cherry stabiliser holes contain the Costar stabiliser holes.

Show Image

The center rectangle coloured in black is the Costar stabiliser hole. It's the exact same position as the Cherry stabiliser holes in MOZ's drawings, just remove the excess around the rectangle. Also remove the long lines that connect the stab holes and the switch hole.

Or, alternatively, just use the Cherry stabiliser holes! They will work with both kinds of stabilisers.

Thanks photek.  For this plate as you are aware of I am going for simplicity.  No easy swap stems, costar only ( plate won't allow for cherry), and no PCB.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 08:30:04 »
Anyone got a plate file for a Poker/GH60? Going to get in on the 60% pcb from sprit so I want to get my plates cut ahead of time. I could do it myself but I'm not confident I'll get the positioning right for the mounting hardware.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #81 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 08:41:42 »
Anyone got a plate file for a Poker/GH60? Going to get in on the 60% pcb from sprit so I want to get my plates cut ahead of time. I could do it myself but I'm not confident I'll get the positioning right for the mounting hardware.

GH60 is opensource, I used it to design the case for my acrylic case and it should be correct as the GH60 was designed to be compatible with the Poker cases.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #82 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 08:50:18 »

GH60 is opensource, I used it to design the case for my acrylic case and it should be correct as the GH60 was designed to be compatible with the Poker cases.

I tried looking for a GH60 plate file as well but couldn't seem to find anything. Plenty of images but no cad files.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 09:45:24 »

I tried looking for a GH60 plate file as well but couldn't seem to find anything. Plenty of images but no cad files.

I think he was implying that you could use the measurements of the mounting holes from the GH60 PCB to draw the holes in the plate.

in memoriam

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 09:57:25 »

I think he was implying that you could use the measurements of the mounting holes from the GH60 PCB to draw the holes in the plate.

Ahhh right, that would make far too much sense!

Offline roadblock2thesun

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 09:07:01 »
Does anyone have a 3d model of the various keycap profiles? I am preferably looking for something in sketchup format, but anything will do. I've seen a few screen captures of 3d keycap models, but can't seem to find the model files any where.

Thanks!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 09:26:19 »
Anyone have actual dimensions for the bottom of DCS caps for larger than 1u sizes?  Also I am looking for the radius for the corners on the bottom of DCS family caps as well. 

Has anyone tried scanning caps to get actual dimensions from them?

Edit:  I have downloaded the keylayouts.dwg file from here and tried measuring some of the caps and I think something got mucked up in the conversion to open it with SolidWorks.  It is telling me that the width of a 1.5 unit Tab key is 701mm.  Any ideas?
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2013, 09:57:35 by Melvang »

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 10:03:41 »
Anyone have actual dimensions for the bottom of DCS caps for larger than 1u sizes?  Also I am looking for the radius for the corners on the bottom of DCS family caps as well. 

Has anyone tried scanning caps to get actual dimensions from them?

Edit:  I have downloaded the keylayouts.dwg file from here and tried measuring some of the caps and I think something got mucked up in the conversion to open it with SolidWorks.  It is telling me that the width of a 1.5 unit Tab key is 701mm.  Any ideas?

Might be a factor 25.4 off, or what? (1.5u)x(0.75*25.4 mm/u)=28.575, 701/25.4=27.598, 28.575-27.598=0.977mm which sounds like a plausible key spacing...

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 10:22:33 »
Well I did a couple maths and I am getting a factor of 25.7342657

Distance between edges of a 1u cap measured on .dwg = 18.4"
Distance between edges of a 1u cap listed by keycapsdirect.com = .715"

18.4/.715=25.7342657

Hmmmm looks like I need to find some calipers to measure these other caps.  Or getting in touch of SP for actual dimensions from them for 1.5, 1.75, 2, 2.25, and 2.75u caps.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 10:28:10 »
Yeah, there is something wrong in the conversion, as I used the measurements from keycapdirect for the 1u and used the same spacing to calculate other sizes.

Not sure of the corner radius though. I just approximated.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 10:31:27 »
Yeah, there is something wrong in the conversion, as I used the measurements from keycapdirect for the 1u and used the same spacing to calculate other sizes.

Not sure of the corner radius though. I just approximated.

Pm sent MOZ

Well I was on the wrong profile anyway but eitherway I just opened up the file using eDrawings 2013 and got the same numbers there as well
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2013, 10:52:52 by Melvang »

Offline bpiphany

• bpiph is a special type of crazy. //mkawa
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 12:14:30 »
My best bet is still that you are only a factor of 25.4 off. The rest is probably rounding errors, or different family keycaps have different widths. Or there is a non-25.4mm inch involved somewhere...

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 21 October 2013, 13:44:44 »
My best bet is still that you are only a factor of 25.4 off. The rest is probably rounding errors, or different family keycaps have different widths. Or there is a non-25.4mm inch involved somewhere...

Yeah I have sent an email to SP regarding actual widths on keycaps.  Either way if I don't get a response back I have placed a bid on this so when they come in the mail (if I win the auction) I will be able to measure them accurately myself.

Edit:  I have received a response from Melissa at SP regarding key cap dimensions on some of the larger keys.  The following is the response from her.
Key sizes are below for our DCS keycaps:
1.25 Space - 0.903" wide x 0.715"
1.5 space - 1.090" wide x 0.715"
1.75 space - 1.278" wide x 0.715"
2 space - 1.465" wide x 0.715"
2.25 space - 1.653" wide x 0.715"
2.75 space - 2.028" wide x 0.715"
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 October 2013, 20:50:27 by Melvang »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 04:22:13 »
Looks to me like like our calculations were correct, they use a spacing of .035".

I'll edit the file and upload it again.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 22 October 2013, 23:26:51 »
Any of you good folks know the radius at the bottom of a DCS cap?  Looking for the outside of the cap not the inside.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 06:47:46 »
Nope, sorry. Ask SP?

Offline hargon

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 08:45:05 »
Thanks for the great resources.  Would it be possible to upload these (I am especially interested in plate_components.dwg) as SVG files? This would make it much easier to access them, since DWG is not that well supported in free Linux software.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 08:48:10 »
... DWG is not that well supported in free Linux software.

LibreCAD, QCAD Community Edition, etc...

in memoriam

Offline hargon

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 13:20:31 »
Unfortunately, In the present (Ubuntu) versions exactly these programs are not able to deal with DWG files (According to Wikipedia and me trying it). ;)

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 23 October 2013, 19:29:57 »
Nope, sorry. Ask SP?

Got a reply back from Melissa at SP and she said that the radius is .078".