Author Topic: [IC] Individual Topre Parts  (Read 3941 times)

Offline Chedda7

[IC] Individual Topre Parts
« on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 22:34:37 »
This IC is for gauging support for a group buy that will make individual Topre parts available to the community.

Here is the bottom line: I will order a bunch of Topre keyboards (likely Realforce) and break them down into individual parts that community members purchase (domes, keycaps, etc.).

Here are a few use cases:
1)   Put the harder to find domes (55g/30g) on some/all of your keys for a different experience.
2)   Get a different color keycap set for your Realforce, HHKB, or Leopold FC660C.
3)   Get a different color case for your Realforce.
4)   Get a new PCB if yours somehow no longer works. 

If you are intrigued then fill out this pollPlease only answer questions pertaining to items you are interested in.

I will update this post once I get a decent number of responses.  I want to be slightly aggressive with the timeline of this (baring interest) and not let it turn into something that's coming soon™.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: [IC] Individual Topre Parts
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 06 May 2015, 23:58:12 »
Interesting idea, I think it would be hard to find homes for all parts of the keyboard. I think you will find that the keycaps and domes will go fast though!

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 00:04:34 »
I don't know if you would get many people trusting you with (likely) hundreds of dollars to buy a dozen or so Realforce boards, no offence. $200+ each, a lot of people will be wanting the domes and caps, leaving you either with a load of cases and PCBs and nothing else.

Nice idea, I just don't think it would be cost effective.
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 08:41:51 »
Interesting idea, I think it would be hard to find homes for all parts of the keyboard. I think you will find that the keycaps and domes will go fast though!

$200+ each, a lot of people will be wanting the domes and caps, leaving you either with a load of cases and PCBs and nothing else.

I agree with both of you and that is why I created the poll.  If it's clear that folks only want domes and caps then there are two options:
1)   Divide total cost of an imported Realforce board between the desired parts.  If folks want these items enough to cover the cost of the board than we can proceed.
2)   Chalk it up to a failed IC and scrap it. 

I don't know if you would get many people trusting you with (likely) hundreds of dollars to buy a dozen or so Realforce boards, no offence.

None taken. I am a somewhat new member and hardly post.   

I am not adverse to buying the first batch (2-5 keyboards) out of pocket if people really do have concerns. 

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 11:28:55 »
I would probably pick up a black case so I could turn my 87UW in to a storm trooper board  :)

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 May 2015, 16:49:49 »
I would probably pick up a black case so I could turn my 87UW in to a storm trooper board  :)

Great!  Be sure to fill out the poll so that information is taken into account.  Every piece that someone desires that ISN'T domes or keycaps is crucial.    :)

Offline durainello

• Free cheap and fast International shipping solution to fellow Singaporean.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 08 May 2015, 10:06:25 »
Picked up a 87UW and it's extremely hard to maintain. Wouldnt mind to pick up a spare black case and alphas.

Offline Metr0

• HHKB or nuttin
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 05:13:49 »
So would this go as far to getting blank Realforce sets to break up for arrow clusters (HHKB) for example?
[WTB] BLANK PINK HHKB ARROW CLUSTER

Offline Chedda7

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 09 May 2015, 20:43:51 »
So would this go as far to getting blank Realforce sets to break up for arrow clusters (HHKB) for example?

The main focus here is to purchase Realforce keyboards, break them down, and distribute the parts.  To the best of my knowledge Realforce does not currently offer a keyboard with blank keyscaps.  Am I mistaken?

Offline chordaborda

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 June 2015, 01:49:36 »
Hope I'm not too late to the party! I would definetly be interested in swapping my 45g dome for a 55g. I have an ISO board, and dont make them in 55g sadly.

Offline jvarg

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 06:20:08 »
Submitted.  Interested in 30g and 55g domes and a white/grey 87 key set
HHKB | 87UB | 23UB | FC660C | FC500RR

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 10 June 2015, 07:30:34 »
I'd be very interested in 30g domes and keycaps of all sorts.

However, like others have said, I'm not sure if this would be financially beneficial for yourself. For example, say I wanted 66g domes for my HHKB. That would require the domes from 60%~ of a full size Realforce. I'd probably pay reasonably less money than what the Realforce board would cost (or else I'd just get one myself). This leaves you with half a board, until someone opts to buy more 55g domes from you, but that would require you to purchase another board, and then you'd have two gutted boards, etc etc

Maybe consider something like trading your domes for the member's domes, along with a service fee for yourself. I dunno bruh..