Author Topic: Mouse pads addons advice  (Read 2636 times)

Offline Carnage

Mouse pads addons advice
« on: Sat, 01 September 2012, 04:11:27 »
Hello so ive been using that new razer deathadder i got a while back now and well i really enjoy it compared to my old Logitech g3 it feels smoother, more accurate, sits nicer in my hand more stable etc ((i decided against the zowie AM even though i love the no acceleration the no software i disliked and it only had 3 choices of DPI sounds annoying)). So i decided maybe its time to get a new mouse pad since this one i have has been quiet beaten and isn't that high of a quality one either. Im currently using a Fierce gaming control which i picked up at my local comp usa. ((its 2 decide black 1 side is smoother the others a little sandpaper like)). I do like it but there seems to be some issues.

It sometimes bugs out my mouse on me because it seems like after periods of use about 1 week or more it gets these weird little spots on it which i have to like scrape off. Im thinking maybe from the mouse feet but im not quiet sure. Anyways down to the point im not sure what the difference is between the pads if they make a big difference between plastic aluminum and cloth im currently using plastic. Do plastic or aluminum wear out the mouses feet more because i wouldn't know where to get more deathadder feet. The size dosent need to be massive but id prefer it not to small so does anybody have any recommendations or can give me advice about the difference of materials in the mouse pads?

Also how are mouse bungees do they really help alot or not ive thought about investing in one but currently im just using some books to do it. But im trying to clear down some clutter space and make it all look much nicer since my current pc im building is almost done and im almost ready to set everything up.

Information:
ill be using a razer deathadder 3500
I do like the sandpaper like side of the fierce pad but im sure with a nice pad my opinion might change
id prefer it under 30 dollars
available on amazon
i use about 1600 dpi settings ((if that matters))
Black, gray, White
Maybe a little above normal size but not to massive
(any bungee information recommendations are fine because i dont know much about them)

it will be used for all purposes but the most importantly gaming. Since i am a starcraft 2 players precision and speed are important. I was looking at the steelseries qck but im not sure about cloth mouse pads encase i got it wet and i believe there slower and don't feel as smooth but like i said, Ive never actually used a nice cloth pad just cheap walmart ones. So whats everybody's opinions on mouse pad's and any information about materials etc is more then welcome about how they effect the feet, precision, speed, durability, etc and what you guys think about bungees, Feel free to recommend me a mouse pad bungee or both! Any whom thanks again geekhack community!

Offline Carnage

Re: Mouse pads addons advice
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 01:12:18 »
Hmm anybody?

Offline xcelerate

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 03 September 2012, 17:58:08 »
I would start off with a goliathus speed and/or puretrak talent. The goliathus speed will be slightly faster than the talent, go with good quality cloth and/or a cloth/hard pad mix (eg. Artisan shidenkai mid) as opposed to a full hard pad that way you still regain some of the control cloth provides. Cheers.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 13:56:07 »
i have a steelseries sx aluminum pad so far it doesn't wear down mouse skates/feet (had for about 2/3 years, have had new mice and new feet tho, but i don't see wear and tear)

Offline Carnage

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 03:22:04 »
I just cant decide! i feel like cloth will be to slow for me when im playing sc2 maybe ill just get a aluminum if what the OP said is right and it wont wear out my mouse feet. Id hate to have to replace them within 3 months because of the stupid pad!

Offline ra7c7er

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 12:43:44 »
I use the Goliathus mat and the Razer bungee and I like it. The Goliathus mat is the closest thing to a hard mat I have ever had and I like the sewn edges too. i didn't think I would like it but it works better, as I said, than every cloth mat (gaming and non) that I have ever owned before.

The Razer bungee is sleeker than most of the other bungees, I found, and  less distracting. It works well with both forward and back movement and side to side. The sticky feet of the Razer won't slip even in an earthquake and can supposively be cleaned and stickied with water but I haven't had to do that. I don't actually use all of the  sticky feet I covered most of the sticky base with wax paper, only leaving a little on the front legs and in the back, and I have part of my mouse pad going (it's bigger than I thought when I bought it) over the feet of the bungee and just that little bit of sticky and weight holds it down even when I move the mouse to extremes quickly. Also the logo on the bungee is very mute and you can't see it unless you look at it straight on. Which is a welcome sight compared to most Razer products.

The cheap bungees with the weighted ball in them can be distracting if you use a mouse with leds (the led light can, in some cases, shine off the ball but they work just the same as the Razer. So if you don't want to pay the premium for the Razer these will be nearly the same in working aspect. these bungees use little non-slip pads instead of sticky material and will move with extreme side to side movement unless extra slack is given to the mouse side of the cord. Which mildly defeats the purpose since the excessive cord can get in the way. Although I mentioned the price aspect already most of these style of bungees have to come from China and with the extra shipping cost the Razer in most cases will be cheaper.

Roccats bungee, Apuri, looks cool (like a scorpion) and does have built in USB ports but is much bigger than the Razer which can make it harder to place on a smaller or cluttered desk. The built in USB is nice but some of the USB ports are on the front side of the bungee which means any cords could be running over the mouse pad. Also the Roccat Apuri doesn't IMO handle side to side movement nearly as well as the Razer. It feels like you are trying to pull the bungee when you move the mouse with extreme side to side movement. The only reason I would recommend the Roccat Apuri is if you NEED the extra USB ports or plan on using alot of excess slack in the cord.

Those are my quick reviews of the three mouse bungees I have tried (all within the last couple months). Hope this helped you.

Just so you know much of this is subjective to your mousing style. I only use 8 inches of slack cord off the bungee and this is very very small amount to what most people have used in "real" reviews on the net (I did this while testing all of the bungees to give them all equal reviews). If you use more slack side to side movement is less likely to move the bungee, and can eliminate the Roccats poor side to side movement ability,  but with more slack comes more extra cord to get in your way.

Again I hope this helps you out.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 September 2012, 12:49:46 by ra7c7er »

Offline posthaste

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 21:48:39 »

Offline raisinbun

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 September 2012, 03:01:47 »
Cloth pads are easier on mouse feet than hard plastic/aluminum ones do. In terms of initial speed and glide, cloth pads might not match hard pads but they are close. Cloth pads are also much superior in terms of stopping.

Among cloth pads, I greatly recommend Artisan Hien for its apparent durability (haven't owned it long enough to tell but it feels tough), smoothness, good glide (better than QcK imo) and fast stopping. Mice tracks well on it without jitter at 1600DPI. Shiden/Shiden-kai are much smoother but also stops slower. Both are also good choice if you prefer smoother surface. Hien is kinda rough to the skin, which is why I feel it is tough.

With the short time I get in shops with a Goliathus control and speed, both offer good glide and control (I like the speedier one, but i keep forgetting which version it is).

Bungees can be good if you have trouble keeping your cable in place... I don't have a bungee but I taped the cord on the edge of the monitor. No more dragging of mouse cable on table/table edge  :)