Author Topic: [GB] Vortex Thick PBT Dyesub 104-Keyset [Shipped]  (Read 158576 times)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
Re: [GB] Vortex Thick PBT Dyesub 104-Keyset [Shipping Out]
« Reply #500 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 23:38:53 »
Oh right, I can see it now by the how the WNV keys look.  Well, emptythecache's pics make the gray look a darker than the pics I've seen on KBDMania. So maybe they were dyed darker for this group buy?

lol, no... Just bad lighting/camera  :p

Offline Amble

« Reply #501 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 23:48:22 »
I had imsto's dark gray PBT and the legends weren't as bold as I would have liked them to be on the darker background... this coupled with the smaller font from Vortex would be somewhat bothersome IMO.

All this being said I am still selling my set when they arrive... not because of the colors, but because I have very little patience. :)

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #502 on: Mon, 25 March 2013, 23:52:10 »
I had imsto's dark gray PBT and the legends weren't as bold as I would have liked them to be on the darker background... this coupled with the smaller font from Vortex would be somewhat bothersome IMO.

All this being said I am still selling my set when they arrive... not because of the colors, but because I have very little patience. :)

Imsto doesn't have anything close to dark gray, and what he has is barely even medium gray imo.
I look forward to the day when there is a GB for dark gray Thick PBT and this may actually happen with Ivan's R3.

Offline Amble

« Reply #503 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 00:00:23 »
I figured imsto's gray was as dark as it should get for dye subbing legends... any darker and I wouldn't see the point.  Either way, I get everyone's point... you wanted them to be like the classic WYSE sets.

« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 00:07:30 by Amble »

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #504 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 00:13:22 »
I guess I need to see them when they come in, Install them on the keyboard and judge it from there.

But sample that was given by Feng and was copy/paste from the pic of the full gray set onto a WYSE retro style mix of white with the gray did look to me like "descent-acceptable" gray color that would match nicely with black cases.

But at this point I have to wait and see how they actually look on the keyboard...... Anyways its a long shot till then, mein are not even being shipped.
Quote from: IvanIvanovich on Wed, 08 January 2014, 18:02:50

When you bottom out dong cap... is it going balls deep?

Offline file_id

« Reply #505 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 00:23:33 »
Feng, I have a problem. I'm missing my G key. Yes, I've double and triple checked.

DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline Amble

« Reply #506 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 00:25:40 »
Wow, that looks really nice... love the contrast.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #507 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 07:30:50 »
Feng, I have a problem. I'm missing my G key. Yes, I've double and triple checked.

Show Image

Show Image

it happens dude, my gray set from Imsto came with 7 keys damaged and I didn't checked the set for any missing keys. Lucky me checked it 2 days a go and saw that one key is missing, I contacted Imsto and told him about the extra key missing and also lucky that he hasn't shipped the keys yet... So at least he will mail them all together...

Here the WYSE set looks better, gotta waith to see how things turn out...

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #508 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:24:44 »
Is the list updated? My name is still not on it. Just want to make sure it has not been forgotten.

Thx Feng!
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Vintage

« Reply #509 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 10:55:46 »
I don't think it's updated.

Don't worry though. Mine is not on it either but I sent him a message about it and he said he was just too busy to update the list.

I would be pleased to see an updated list though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:10:01 by Vintage »
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #510 on: Tue, 26 March 2013, 11:03:41 »
Yea I know he's busy, but since the order is closed now, would be nice to have at least the full list of people who ordered it. I don't expect him to update the shipping info often, maybe not until all is shipped, but  to have the full list would be nice.

No worry still anyway  :cool:

I imagine that the amount of work involved is HUGE
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #511 on: Wed, 27 March 2013, 20:01:45 »
Just got my WYSE set and they look awesome...will update with pictures later.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
    • My Youtube channel with some keyboard videos
« Reply #512 on: Thu, 28 March 2013, 01:20:34 »
Oo I can't wait for mine! I think mine was shipped Monday so I should get it soon!!!!!

Offline file_id

« Reply #513 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 17:08:28 »
Feng, can you take 2 seconds to reply to a pm since is friday/weekend. Still waiting for you to reply back to me on the missing G key since tuesday in my WYSE set. Been waiting for my set since December for these PBT keycaps. I'm not even going to mention the \| legend key being wrongly labeled or the 2 keycaps (enter and right shift key). I just need a G key to complete the set. Thanks.
DS3 White YOTS (Blue)|Poker 2 (Blue,Clear)|QFR Rapid-i TKL (Brown,Blue)|QFR Rapid TKL (Blue,Red,Brown)|KBP V60 (Blue,Clear,Matias Click)|Code TKL Clear|Filco MJ2 TKL (Blue)|Filco MJ2 Ninja Beige TKL (Brown)|Novatouch

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #514 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 17:17:37 »
post the pics, make them nice ones lots of peeps are waiting on the WYSE set

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #515 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 17:29:17 »
post the pics, make them nice ones lots of peeps are waiting on the WYSE set

I wonder if anyone got the all grey sets. Would love to see it bc I haven't gotten mine yet. Maybe I shouldn't cave into my temptations and just persevere to the end!
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2013, 18:34:31 by VesperSAINT »

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #516 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 21:43:18 »
I'll have good pics up of my all gray set on a Ducky when my down-arrow key cap comes in the mail from feng. (he forgot it :P)

The set is gorgeous and feels amazing.

Highly recommended that you use the hot bowl of water trick, to straighten out the space bar. It was very frictiony when first installed due to the cherry stabilizers, so I straightened it out in a hot bowl of water (Ouch!!! I put up with the pain, to have a straight bar though  :rolleyes:) I'll show you when I get my down arrow  ;D

Edit;
I have a confession to make. I no longer hate cherry stabilizers. I thought it was all like that - naw, I just had a warped space bar which didn't cope well with the cherry stabs.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2013, 21:46:45 by Flip »
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #517 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 21:56:14 »
I'll have good pics up of my all gray set on a Ducky when my down-arrow key cap comes in the mail from feng. (he forgot it :P)

The set is gorgeous and feels amazing.

Highly recommended that you use the hot bowl of water trick, to straighten out the space bar. It was very frictiony when first installed due to the cherry stabilizers, so I straightened it out in a hot bowl of water (Ouch!!! I put up with the pain, to have a straight bar though  :rolleyes:) I'll show you when I get my down arrow  ;D

Edit;
I have a confession to make. I no longer hate cherry stabilizers. I thought it was all like that - naw, I just had a warped space bar which didn't cope well with the cherry stabs.

Please do give tips on the hot bowl of water thing to straighten out the spacebar because my Grey set will also be going onto a Ducky with Cherry Stabilizers. I really do hope they come straight w/ no missing keys!!! I have said this before but I actually like Cherry stabilizers, maybe even prefer it :P

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #518 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 22:07:29 »
The way I did it actually was very rudimentary...boil some water, then poor it in a bowl, then wait until it's boarderline too hot for your hands to be in, then push the space bar down wards, turned upside down so that it straightens out. (for liability reasons I will say no higher than ~120F but I think mine was higher... my hands were a bright red when I was finished. They're fine now lol.)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #519 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 22:09:50 »
The way I did it actually was very rudimentary...boil some water, then poor it in a bowl, then wait until it's boarderline too hot for your hands to be in, then push the space bar down wards, turned upside down so that it straightens out. (for liability reasons I will say no higher than ~120F but I think mine was higher... my hands were a bright red when I was finished. They're fine now lol.)

I see~ Did it fit perfectly afterwards? I'm scared it'll get mega warped and it'll perma-damage it :(

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #520 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 22:13:18 »
Why upside down? I'm only asking because it would seem more intuitive to push down on the top side, being that the bottom is flat and not rounded.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #521 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 22:15:44 »
Why upside down? I'm only asking because it would seem more intuitive to push down on the top side, being that the bottom is flat and not rounded.

I believe it's because the two ends of the spacebar end up coming up. Even if the top side is rounded, it's still straight. But I do see your point... I'm just scared that the keycap will expand because of the contortion and heat :(

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #522 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 22:25:38 »
The particular bowl I used was a concave, very rotund bowl.

My space bar happened to be bowed end-up... meaning it bent like a u shape kind of, either end of it sticking up.

See diagram below.

17307-0

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #523 on: Fri, 29 March 2013, 22:49:19 »
The particular bowl I used was a concave, very rotund bowl.

My space bar happened to be bowed end-up... meaning it bent like a u shape kind of, either end of it sticking up.

Yeh, I got it; I was actually tempted to draw a diagram on Paint too! LOL!

Offline dachef

« Reply #524 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 11:55:19 »
I've been waiting 4 months now for my keycaps.  I was so into keycaps 4 months ago.  Some people even accused me of spaming so I can sell something on geekhack.  This is how much I was into keycaps.  I couldn't wait to experience my first PBT set.   I have no lost all interest in keycaps during this wait for my first set. 
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 March 2013, 11:58:38 by dachef »

Offline missalaire

• Great Finder of Great Finds
« Reply #525 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 12:56:08 »
I've been waiting 4 months now for my keycaps.  I was so into keycaps 4 months ago.  Some people even accused me of spaming so I can sell something on geekhack.  This is how much I was into keycaps.  I couldn't wait to experience my first PBT set.   I have no lost all interest in keycaps during this wait for my first set.

Then don't do group buys. The thing with group buys is you get cheaper prices, but you'll always have to deal with some kind of wait for the product to be manufactured, shipped to the GB organizer, sorted out, then shipped to the GB participants. 4 months isn't even that long compared to what I've seen some group buys take.
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Mechanical keyboards are primarily vessels for novelty keycaps...
Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline Vintage

« Reply #526 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 13:09:33 »
Im fine with the wait.... I just wish we got more updates for this. :p

Offline missalaire

« Reply #527 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 21:55:31 »
Any new updates?
Ducky DK9008S2 Blue LED | Ducky DK2108S OMG | Ducky DK9008S2 White LED | Ducky YOTD | CM QuickFire TK LE | Filco MJ2 TKL custom | Trik Alu Skin Custom

Please do NOT PM me regarding finding deals for specific products, I do not take personal requests!

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #528 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 21:59:50 »
idk guys this GB has been dragging..... some people receive the keys and others don't...

Offline missalaire

« Reply #529 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 22:11:08 »
idk guys this GB has been dragging..... some people receive the keys and others don't...

Well most of the people who should have already received theirs, should be the people who ordered earlier on and got their sets when Feng had some sets on hand. Those of us who are still waiting should be people waiting on colored sets that Feng had to wait on to get shipped from China. He did say that he was going to ship them out the 18th though. I know he's been busy with school. Hopefully he'll give us a new update soon.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #530 on: Sat, 30 March 2013, 22:14:38 »
I understand that miss, but thing is people already received their WYSE sets, I though when you mail something in big numbers would be best to get everything together and mail them all in one shot

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #531 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 07:17:19 »
Thanks a ton Feng!
17369-0

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #532 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 08:34:44 »
Thanks a ton Feng!
(Attachment Link)
looks awesome dude, if this is how the gray modifiers look, A+ from me

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #533 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 13:31:41 »
I just noticed that the \,| keycap is upside

Offline Vintage

« Reply #534 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 13:56:18 »
I just noticed that the \,| keycap is upside
I think they said earlier that the \,| thing is due to the italic font. So the non-slanted bar appears slanted and vice versa.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #535 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 14:03:00 »
Thanks a ton Feng!
(Attachment Link)

Oh dayum! That is looking sharp! Makes me kind of regret not going with the WYSE :P Gives me an idea of what all Grey will look like though :) Thanks for the picture!

How are they feeling on the Greens? Big difference? I'm hoping they make a world difference...

Offline do_Og@n

• * Maker
« Reply #536 on: Sun, 31 March 2013, 16:06:59 »
@vesperSAINT

They feel awesome! The space bar is a little warped but I'll be fixing that soon.

I thought the thicker keys would mask some of the clicky feel but they actually make them feel more crisp and solid.
« Last Edit: Sun, 31 March 2013, 16:08:39 by do_Og@n »

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #537 on: Mon, 01 April 2013, 19:20:03 »
@vesperSAINT

They feel awesome! The space bar is a little warped but I'll be fixing that soon.

I thought the thicker keys would mask some of the clicky feel but they actually make them feel more crisp and solid.

oooooooo I'm soooo excited!!! Hopefully my keycaps will arrive soon :P Can't wait to throw them on dem Greens and experience this... This will make it harder for me to part with them, if I do decide to sell them. I'll be sure to test them on the Blues too. Thanks for the response!

Offline NguyenAdam

« Reply #538 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 15:37:43 »
Anyone selling an extra Vortex White Thick PBT Dyesub 104-Keyset?

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #539 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 23:02:40 »
Feng just curious when will you receive the next batch of keycaps? have they been shipped to you?

Offline feng

• * Vendor
« Reply #540 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 23:13:58 »
Feng just curious when will you receive the next batch of keycaps? have they been shipped to you?

I've got all the them on hand, about 15 colored sets got shipped already, still working on the rest.

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #541 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 23:27:24 »
ok so you have them, they just need to be shipped, thanks for the response.

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #542 on: Tue, 02 April 2013, 23:33:39 »
I'm so excited! :D:D:D Get ready for picssss

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #543 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 13:53:34 »
Just reporting that I just received my grey set and keycap puller! Pics shall be posted soon!

Offline bazemk1979

« Reply #544 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 15:58:36 »
do it :)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #545 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:39:56 »
do it :)
Done diggity

Okay~ So for my report: I just placed them on my keyboard and must say they feel pretty damn good! They are currently placed on the Ducky Greens and I can say that the click does seem slightly more crisp but I wouldn't say more pronounced. I did notice though that the sound does get dampened quite a bit, which I expected because of the thicker plastic. It is now more of a clack than a click. I wouldn't say this is a bad thing but rather just different.

There is one problem that I did notice though, and that's that there seems to be a significant amount of scratches on them. This is my first time buying dyesub thick PBT's so I don't know if this a common issue but I just assumed it to be so. The numpad enter also has really warped paint/color. For the price I bought it though, I can't really complain :) I will post some pictures of this issue though. The blemishes didn't come out as well as I hoped but as those that have tried taking pictures of issues on keycaps before, it's not so easy to get the lighting right.

Also need to straighten out my spacebar but mine didn't come too bad. It doesn't really affect the functioning of the keycap but the slight bent shape is bugging me so I'll probably do the hot water treatment.

Pics:

Here are some pictures of the scratches and warped dye color (they are more apparent and obvious in real life than these pictures). Click on the pictures for zoom and then click on the zoomed picture again for max resolution which you can drag around.

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:51:02 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #546 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:42:46 »
Thanks for the mini review and photos VesperSAINT. You should take some pictures outside :)

PS - I want my keycap puller :(

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #547 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:48:54 »
Thanks for the mini review and photos VesperSAINT. You should take some pictures outside :)

PS - I want my keycap puller :(

You're welcome! Taking a picture outside today wouldn't help; it's raining :( I shall take pictures outside from now on though :D

Look forward to your keycap puller because dem be sexy  :-*

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:51:39 by VesperSAINT »

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #548 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:52:31 »
Again you're keys look great, but OMG I want my puller now after seeing that well taken photo :)

Offline VesperSAINT

• vpsert
  • #CustomKorean
« Reply #549 on: Wed, 03 April 2013, 16:59:15 »
Again you're keys look great, but OMG I want my puller now after seeing that well taken photo :)

It has this heft to it that makes it feel really good. The heavy weight just makes it feel more expensive than it really was hahaha.