Author Topic: -  (Read 8642 times)

Offline victheslik

-
« on: Fri, 05 September 2008, 22:57:00 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:25:49 by victheslik »
"The only antidote to mental suffering is physical pain. " Karl Marx
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Gosh darn it, I didn't win.
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 September 2008, 23:05:21 »
I know for a fact some of the members here are Japanese ...

Offline zetan

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 September 2008, 23:09:01 »
victheslik,

I know you are just being folksy here, but the last term you used in the title and in your first post here is a very racist term. Many Japanese would get offended by that. Would you please modify the title and your post? Fortunately, not many people have seen it yet :)

Offline victheslik

-
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 05 September 2008, 23:13:50 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:25:59 by victheslik »
A wiseman once said, "If Bible proves the existence of God, then comic books prove the existence of Superheros."

Offline victheslik

-
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 05 September 2008, 23:16:15 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:26:08 by victheslik »

Offline Waves77

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 05 September 2008, 23:29:59 »
Dude, that's way out of line, it's just a ****ing keyboard. Get over it, it's not like you can't just buy another gazillion keyboards out there.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 05 September 2008, 23:33:26 »
And, you can't edit the subject yourself, only moderators can do that.

Offline victheslik

-
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 05 September 2008, 23:41:39 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:26:23 by victheslik »

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 00:54:32 »
Take it like a man. You lost. Don't insult another race because you are too broke / slow to win a keyboard. Half my friends are mixed race or Asian of some kind, so yeah, you can offend with racist remarks even those who aren't of the targeted race.

Just apologize without a ****ty undertone and no one will ever bring this up again.

Offline victheslik

-
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 01:10:31 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:26:35 by victheslik »

Offline change81

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 03:27:40 »
it's not about oversensitivity. it's about that word not being acceptable due to the history of the word.

carlin is talking about curse words.

the word you used is was and always will be HIGHLY offensive to people of japanese descent due to its history and its use against the japanese people.

so what you're if you're part asian. are you part japanese?
do you know how it feels to be called a jap, chink or gook? that **** pisses me the fuk off as an asian person. and as a part asian. you really should know better.

it's the same connotation as the n word for many japanese people.

it's not about having too many euphemisms, it's about having some respect for people of any race.
and the context you used it in? doesn't seem like a joke to me.

i agree, i hate overly politically correct people. i also hate racist *******s.

Offline victheslik

-
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 03:36:23 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:26:53 by victheslik »

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 03:54:37 »
That sounds like me talking about how fat I am. People get blank stares and just crawl in their skin when a muscular fat guy calls himself fat, but that is something that is only funny in person, when you can see that I am overweight. We can't see you're Asian (and most racists wouldn't know Thai from Japanese people or a Chinese dude from Hmong dude). So you see why this ins't working and everyone is all up your butt about it?

Offline change81

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 04:50:42 »
exactly what xsphat said.

written word is just that. there is no reading between the lines. there is only reading what you wrote. what you wrote read out highly offensive. there is no light joking whatsoever from your general tone. you're just straight hating that some japanese beat you on the auction and used the word quite liberally.

it's one thing that people are joking about the japanese having so many quality keyboard companies. i don't see any reference to that in your original post. other than "don't they have enough ****ing keyboards?" which reads pretty angry to me.

is it pathetic that we're getting so butthurt about the use of just a word? it's more pathetic that you use such a highly charged word to make light of a situation, when really nobody saw any light use of it. just straight hate.

would you go around screaming N____R? and expect people to take it as a joke?
jap = just that to many people. doesn't matter if it doesn't have any negative connotation to you. you're not japanese.

words may just be words to you. i curse alot. but there are just some words whose history have been so horrible in use that it is never acceptable. and yea. to many, jap does that have that history.
 i mean in ww2 the entire race was placed in concentration camps while being called disloyal untrustworthy etc. were the germans, italians, russians?

you need to be careful with the written word. there is no "tone" to be read. only the words itself. i don't see any making light of the situation as you claim.

racist terms are not "playful" they tend to be very hurtful. people may lightly laugh, but i wouldn't be surprised if they thought less of you. and if ppl are calling you racists terms, there is no fun to be joined in on.

Offline ashort

• Hoosier Daddy
    • http://andrew.wingedwheel.net
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 07:49:36 »
Am I the only one here who picked up the simple sarcasm in the post; mixed with a lot of common, but sharp (and quickly descending) anger at losing an auction?
Andrew
{ KBC Poker - brown | Filco Majestouch - brown | Dell AT101W | Cherry G84-4100 }

Offline graywolf

• http://www.graywolfphoto.com/
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 09:07:45 »
Warning, if you think there are bad words, do not read, you have been warned!

Quote from: ashort;8491
Am I the only one here who picked up the simple sarcasm in the post; mixed with a lot of common, but sharp (and quickly descending) anger at losing an auction?

of course, we are all a bunch of politically correct geeks*

*geek   An insulting term originally used to describe the more stomach turning type of sideshow freak.

And the point of that, if anyone missed it is that words only upset people who feel inferior. Back when I was in the Air Force a million years ago, there was a guy who called himself a nigger, in fact he sometimes wore a buttom that said, "I am a nigger and damn proud of it". We did not look down on him, he was one cool dude. We did look down on the "Colored Gentlemen", the politically correct term of the day. But not as much as he did, he thought they had no selfrespect. I live in the south, I am often called a damn yankee. Do I get upset? No, I am a yankee and proud to be one.

On the other hand there is a new one I had not heard until this year, "F'ing Flor-rid-de-ans". Same thing as a snowbird, except they do not go home, they come to Boone instead. Their Caddilacs take up all the parking spaces, they jam the isles of the stores, they demand services that they do not pay taxes for, they are impolite to the locals, then they go back to Florida. I, myself, just call them tourists. Now that is an insulting term if I ever heard one, tourist.

Anyway, why should we have to watch our language so someone who is lacking in selfrespect does not get upset?

Offline victheslik

-
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 09:37:28 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:28:53 by victheslik »

Offline change81

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 10:19:03 »
it's one thing to be confident. it's also pretty retarded to have to live and  hear people use terms to attempt to belittle you.

sarcasm or not. racist words are not necessary. it's full of ignorance.

the guy that called himself n____r. that's his perogative. does that give you the right to call a black guy on the street that? seriously? i'd like to see you roll into harlem and call people n___g and make the arguement that if it bothers them, it's because they feel inferior. it's really not about that. if you don't get that, then you truly are ignorant.

hide beyond a forum name. w/e take pride in being racist. fine.

doesn't change the fact that you using the word makes you an ignorant racist *******.

inferior? i'm not even japanese but i know many japanese that would kick your ass for saying that. and they don't feel inferior. it's just the history of the word and the feelings that are attached to it.

but white people will never really understand that will they?

growing up in america asian ****ing sucked. people like you are the people that think it's not a big deal to call people racist terms. that's because you're the majority. you take comfort in being well, white.

i've met kids that wished they weren't asian/black/other races just so they didn't have to be subject to the ridiculous chants and racist attitudes of teachers or fellow classmates. and that's a sad thing to hear, that someone is ashamed of their culture because he/she was subject to so much racism during his/her developmental stage.

in a culture that have continually belittled other races/cultures, it's hard to expect you to understand that.

i have never felt inferior until i had to go to school and have all the white kids treat me differently/like **** just cause i'm asian. every day, every week, every year we encounter some idiot running around saying racist **** or trying to fight us cause we're asian. it gets pretty ****ing old. it just pisses me the **** off seeing self righteous pricks like you use the word lightly and wonder why asians/other races get so pissed.

did you have to grow up being asked if you're from china/japan. or north korea/south korea. i'm from new york, but that's never been an acceptable answer. why is that? do i ask white people oh, no, which european country are you REALLY from?

our entire lives people have belittled us, picked fights with us cause we're different race, chinky eyes w/e. did we feel inferior? despite the fact that the term was designed to put us down. not really. we're confident in being asian. but i guess that's something you cant understand.

you may have read sarcasm in his post. but did he really need to use japs? was that really necessary? all i read was straight racist hate.

so **** you and anyone that defended him. if you haven't been subjected to the amount of hate anyone of asian/other race descent encountered trying to live in america, you just won't get it.

but why bother amirite?  hide behind your veil of ignorance. claim it was joke. i see you for what you are. racist.

and really. if you're half asian. you should get it. it's not about being politically correct. it's about having some ****ing respect.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 10:58:30 »
Quote from: graywolf;8492

And the point of that, if anyone missed it is that words only upset people who feel inferior.

No need to feed the trolls. This is bull**** and you know it. There's no need to spread anger, hate and disrespect, be it in a direct or indirect manner.

Seeing your attitude, I'd be surprised if you have ever been considered anything else than a "tourist" yourself elsewhere.

Vic - frankly, you seem like an immature teenage brat. Your posts, PMs,... I think you owe this forum an apology. Learn how to interact with others (despite the geek tolerance towards social inadequacy) or up the Ritalin.

It's a really small community around here, let's try to keep it friendly, but at least respectful.
Current collection:
\'91 Model M (1391401), \'93 1391401, \'91 Model M (industrial 1394946), Dell AT101W, Apple Extended II (M3501), Cherry G84-4100, Filco FKB 104M/EB, Macally 96, Das III Pro, HHKB Pro 2.

Offline graywolf

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 11:17:07 »
I started to quote some of that, but why?

Since you do not have a clue. My last name is Rittenhouse, people are always asking me if I am German. To which I reply, "No, it is an Americanization of a Dutch name". You see, we ask things like that because we are interested. You with all of your self confidence take it as an insult. The only place the insult is is in your mind.

Words only have emotional meaning in context. If I talk or write to you in a nasty manner, then I am probably intending insult. If I just use a word in a normal tone, I most likely am not. There is no such thing as a loaded word, only loaded minds waiting for a chance to go off.

I do admit that there are ignorant bigots who are trying to put others down, but they are doing that because they feel they are at the bottom and are trying, unsuccessfully I might add, to feel they are better than someone, somewhere.

And, by the way, my opservation has been that arrogance is usually a cover for a feeling of deep inferiority (usually hidden from themselves), and that those who do act that way are overly sensitive to perceived slurs. To most Americans the word Jap is to Japanese as Brit is to British. In other words it has no negative connotation at all. Thinking that it is an insult is going to give you lots of grief. The thing about selfrespect is that it does not require others to bow to it, the keyword there is self.

I, and most others, I hope, have no need to put someone down to feel OK about myself. I certainly am not going to ask anyone to change their vocabulary because of the inferiorities I do have. I do have them, as do most people, but I have spent a lot of time in theropy digging them out and exposing them to the light of day. In the bright light they are all laughable, and obviously my problem, not someone else's. Although I admit that I sometimes still respond to them without thinking.

Offline graywolf

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 11:30:36 »
Nah, I've never been rich enough to act like a tourist.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 11:46:37 »
This thread has been moved to the "Off Topic" forum.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 12:07:54 »
Quote from: graywolf;8502
There is no such thing as a loaded word, only loaded minds waiting for a chance to go off.

This is the last post I'm going to dedicate to this.

I can see your point, yes. Our own mental peace is our own responsibility, and to react to anything at the slightest confrontation is a stressful way to live.

That being said, do you mean to say that racial extermination is due to the fact that all those poor people didn't go into psychotherapy? It's an hyperbole but I think you see my point.  It's about respect, boundaries and intention - justifying attitudes and behavior that are denigrating to other human beings is just plain wrong.

Ignoring something can create peace of mind yes, but can also allow it to grow, which is my point - it's not something I need to see here to read about one of my passions. There's a time to be all Zen about things, and a time to set boundaries and make it clear that certain types of behavior are not welcome and appreciated. If everything else fails, then yes, there's also a time for confrontation.

Does it bother me? Not really, as I've already put Vic on my ignore list, but for a place where I come daily for my pleasure and enjoyment, there's no reason to have to read garbage and arguments.
Current collection:

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 12:38:52 »
Does anyone know a white person who is offended by being called a cracker or a honky? I don't.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 13:25:46 »
I just don't know how anyone can look at Japanese schoolgirls in navy knee socks on their computer which is most likely filled with Sony parts while using Japanese peripherals and say the race nothing to offer humanity. I'm indebted to them for the knee socks alone without mentioning all the other niceties the Empire of Nippon has given us.

Offline graywolf

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 14:46:11 »
Mindfulness!

Genocide is something else.

How can you even think of someone being momentarily Piqued about losing an auction, and genocide being the same thing? On the other hand the emotional reaction to his temporary undirected anger is the type of thing that leads to genocide. Someone says you are worthless, you just smile, unless you think that he is right, then you want to kill him.

In case you missed that point, you were on the wrong side of the thought process.

It is OK to be angry, but it is important to know that you are, and why you are. Usually, when you realize that you find you are no longer angry. You and others were trying to transfer your anger to others instead of understanding it. On the other hand if someone actually tries to physically hurt you, respond with overwhelming violence. But do not get the two situaltions confused.

Offline graywolf

« Reply #26 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 14:50:13 »
Quote from: iMav;8504
This thread has been moved to the "Off Topic" forum.

Where is should be. Thank you.

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 17:45:07 »
Well yeah I was winning the Northgate Omnikey 101 New in Box ...

You posted about it here more than once while the auction was still running. :confused:

Advertising auctions is not a good idea if you want to win them.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 18:33:38 »
Which is why I keep mentioning that I am bidding on a:

Model M2 on eBay right now, with a max bid of $20. Don't really want it, but if I win it I will have gotten it at a fair price.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 18:48:55 »
You know, I have a problem paying even that much for a plain M, when I paid $5 for my 1391401 and it's the best typing keyboard I've ever owned... and the M2 is more cheaply built. :p

(And, it's a shame IBM never built an M2 SpaceSaver. That form factor would be ideal for a laptop bag keyboard - no curve, so less space needed in the bag, and less bezel in the way.)

Offline bigpook

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 18:50:04 »
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline change81

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 19:34:47 »
Quote from: graywolf;8502
To most Americans the word Jap is to Japanese as Brit is to British. In other words it has no negative connotation at all.

lol. obviously to a WHITE AMERICAN it isn't perceived as an insult. you're american. are you japanese? and brit was never used as an insult. Jap was used to put down an entire race for a long time.

i was born in america. i have NEVER felt like an american due to people using those terms towards me growing up and all the stupid questions that was asked me.

like i said before. were german's interned during ww2? not that i recall. but an entire race was. the japanese. was it cause they were asian and german's were white? many believe so.

you just don't get it do you? it's not about who perceives it as an insult. it's about the fact that it historically was and still is to many people.

i'm not even japanese. and i get it. it's about respect. using that word shows none.

i'm not angry at all. just sad that people in this day and age really don't get the negative connotation attached to the word. it's not about feeling inferior. it's about the word being used throughout it's history for that very purpose.

as you are white and did not have to grow up being subject to such racism and hate when people directed that word toward you. you wouldn't get it.

no it's not at all about feeling inferior. but it get's pretty ****ing old and annoying when you hear it on a daily basis growing up when they use it for the explicit purpose of putting you down and making you feel like ****.

i'm done with this thread. stay ignorant. it's your loss. not mine.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #32 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 20:49:03 »
Yeah, this'll learn me.

Offline bigpook

« Reply #33 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 20:50:02 »
I wouldn't worry about it, someone will outbid you at the last moment.

Offline Waves77

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 20:51:38 »
Quote from: bigpook;8523
I wouldn't worry about it, someone will outbid you at the last moment.

It will probably be some ****ing white guy.
Current collection:

Offline bigpook

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 21:00:34 »
Its always the ****ing white guy.....always.

Offline bhtooefr

• bhtooefr.org
« Reply #36 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 21:13:45 »
Goddamn crackers, always snipi... oh. wait.

/me looks at jBidWatcher (no, I don't actually have anything in it right now)

/me looks at his skin

/me slowly slinks away :p

Offline victheslik

-
« Reply #37 on: Sat, 06 September 2008, 22:23:13 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:29:40 by victheslik »

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 07 September 2008, 00:13:24 »
Quote from: bigpook;8520
xsphat, are you bidding on this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140263058223&_trksid=p3907.m32&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

that's the one.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #39 on: Sun, 07 September 2008, 00:27:12 »
Geez Vic, take a pill or something.

My hometown is one the probably 5 in the nation that took in the vast majority of refuges from Viet Nam. We have Hmong and Lao people up the ass here. Asians make up about 30% of my city's population. That could be why I get protective when some jerkoff talks mess about them. There are still rednecks that say **** out of turn and think it's funny and then they nudge me with their greasy elbows thinking I'll join in the laugh at the funny brown people because I'm white. I've gotten into fights that way - not to protect my Asian friends and sex partners but because I don't like the idea of someone like that putting their ****-beaters on me. And since it seems to be OK to do this in this thread, ****. I haven't written that on this board yet. That was fun. ****.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 07 September 2008, 00:31:22 »
I think if I win that M2 I might have a give away — the person who emails me the best, most raunchy racist joke wins it. I'll even pay the shipping.

What do you think?

Offline victheslik

-
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 07 September 2008, 00:42:18 »
-
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 November 2023, 21:29:50 by victheslik »

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
« Reply #42 on: Sun, 07 September 2008, 01:17:12 »
I bet. Maybe I could send the winning joke to all participants or something. It would have to beat the best one I know, which is a pretty good one. Also, I am way more impressed by racist jokes if any race / class can be put in and the joke is still funny.

But is this even fair? Racist jokes are all over the net (I bet ...), so how could I know someone didn't just google it and find a good one?

Offline cmr

« Reply #43 on: Sun, 25 January 2009, 17:07:17 »
yall had a thread like this?

WITHOUT invoking godwin's law?

i'm impressed!

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #44 on: Sun, 25 January 2009, 18:23:54 »
Quote from: cmr;19609

WITHOUT invoking godwin's law?

!

lol.  geekhack is still pretty civilized. but as more people join, who knows? We've gotta hit the norm sooner or later, right? Law of averages and all.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3