Author Topic: [IC] Sirius Space Station Series Modulary Keyboard (estimated price updated)  (Read 11940 times)

Offline linyaofred

Hello everyone, let me introduce my new project: Space Station modulary keyboard.
279641-0
279643-1

It contains two different modules, called core and side which can combine freely and work together.
279645-2

Every core module can work separately or with at most 2 sub module (1 on left and 1 on right) and are all USB/Bluetooth dual mode.
Custom app for both win and mac will come together with the board and the layout of the board can automaticly changed when you plug a side module in
279647-3
279649-4
279651-5

All the core module are top-mount while all the side module are bottom-mount.
The angle of the keyboard can be changed between 3 and 7.
All the core module are bluetooth 5.0.

GB might come 2022Q1 or 2022Q2.
Estimated price range: Core01 $330-$400, Core00 $100-$120, Side01 about $80-$100, Side02 $70-$80, Side03 $70-$80.

Wish you like the board. Fill in the googlesheet below if you have interest and i will give you email when GB comes (estimated price included).
https://forms.gle/7bv6o6Amwy66W1Xq7

More Renders
279653-6
279655-7
279657-8
279659-9
279661-10
279663-11
« Last Edit: Fri, 10 December 2021, 02:20:19 by linyaofred »

Offline ZavaZ86

Re: [IC] Sirius Space Station Series Modulary Keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 04:09:36 »
Any protos?

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 04:47:40 »
only functional proto now. full version of proto might come out 2022Q1

Offline WarlordGorguts

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 05:05:24 »
Looks really interesting - wish there would be a 75 main module and more colors)

This will be the dream board for KAT Space Dust, I'm absolutely into it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 December 2021, 11:00:41 by WarlordGorguts »

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 10:34:24 »
I am MASSIVELY into this, I can easily see myself getting a Core 01, two Core 00's, and once of each Sub module with at least two of the rotary ones. This is a fantastic idea and exactly the direction that keyboards should be going, rather than a hundred cookie-cutter looking TKL's or 75's with encoders.

Absolutely best of luck on this IC and looking forward to where this goes. Seeing lots of customisation potential with the side covers.

Edit: Would love to see a Core 00 with an OLED or eInk display embedded, would be super handy for keeping tabs on the assigned macro buttons etc.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 December 2021, 10:39:09 by oilpapers »

Offline antsinyourpants

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 10:43:03 »
Wow! How excitingly different. They say fortune favours the bold. Well done. I can't wait to see where this goes.

Online SxM Designs

• * Esteemed Elder
  • https://sxmdesigns.com
    • Website
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 10:57:38 »
Hi!

This looks really good. Very bold design choice! Love it. I have only seen this modular designs in one or two commercial brands.. From the top of my head the MOUNTAIN Everest MAX comes into mind. But this is far better :)

I have a few questions though.
Could you tell me the material used here? I might have missed it but I would assume its ALU. If so, will the extra engravings increase cost price?
Moreover, would you be selling/ handling orders on your own OR will you look for vendors?

Good luck!!

Offline clik_clak

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 11:12:12 »
Cool design, I'll be keeping an eye on this one!

Offline kylekwong1

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 17:10:47 »
The engraving seems to add cost without any benifit. It doesn't look interesting, nor feel necessary as a functional stand point.
Also please add split backspace and 7u spacebar support to the pcb, and all 1u keys to the numpad pcb as a macropad.

But overall great project, can't wait to see a proto
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 December 2021, 17:14:07 by kylekwong1 »

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 17:22:36 »
I am MASSIVELY into this, I can easily see myself getting a Core 01, two Core 00's, and once of each Sub module with at least two of the rotary ones. This is a fantastic idea and exactly the direction that keyboards should be going, rather than a hundred cookie-cutter looking TKL's or 75's with encoders.

Absolutely best of luck on this IC and looking forward to where this goes. Seeing lots of customisation potential with the side covers.

Edit: Would love to see a Core 00 with an OLED or eInk display embedded, would be super handy for keeping tabs on the assigned macro buttons etc.

yes, we are considering to make a micro core with a oled screen but if we do that, it will be hard to get that core wireless.

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 17:29:40 »
The engraving seems to add cost without any benifit. It doesn't look interesting, nor feel necessary as a functional stand point.
Also please add split backspace and 7u spacebar support to the pcb, and all 1u keys to the numpad pcb as a macropad.

But overall great project, can't wait to see a proto

i think it will be too empty on the back without the engraving.
for this design, there can be much more layouts of cores or sides we can make. so i call that a series and use the googlesheet to find out what else module do you want.

Offline 8um8lebee

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 17:32:00 »
First reaction was "lol wut!". But oh my god I REALLY want this. The modularity is unreal. Finally something different in a sea of plain rectangles and "clean" TKLs starting at $400+ "because mah fit and finish". And that graphite-gray and yellow colorway is beautiful

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 19:10:05 »
Would really want this even if it was plastic, would hopefully be some kind of metal

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 09 December 2021, 19:29:40 »
Hi!

This looks really good. Very bold design choice! Love it. I have only seen this modular designs in one or two commercial brands.. From the top of my head the MOUNTAIN Everest MAX comes into mind. But this is far better :)

I have a few questions though.
Could you tell me the material used here? I might have missed it but I would assume its ALU. If so, will the extra engravings increase cost price?
Moreover, would you be selling/ handling orders on your own OR will you look for vendors?

Good luck!!

yes it is ALU. the extra engravings will not cost much. i have not desided how to selling but mostly on my own first.
BTW, we have our own vendors.

Offline LuckyOokami

Re: [IC] Sirius Space Station Series Modulary Keyboard (estimated price updated)
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 12 December 2021, 22:03:05 »
This looks really interesting! Looking forward to seeing some prototype photos when you get that in.

Personal opinions of some random person on the Internet who is new to this hobby...
  • Remove the words "GEAR" and "LANDING GEAR" from the feet. It looks silly in my opinion and makes it look like a cheap children's toy piece.
  • Like a previous comment, I also don't care much for the engraving on the bottom. I think the "empty" bottom will look clean and nice. If you absolutely must do the engraving, then maybe do it on the inside? Whether you decide to engrave it on the outside or inside, I would rename the the side modules to something like M-01, where "M" stands for module. The word "side" is an okay description of its function, but sounds kind of lame.

Offline linyaofred

Re: [IC] Sirius Space Station Series Modulary Keyboard (estimated price updated)
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 04:04:25 »
This looks really interesting! Looking forward to seeing some prototype photos when you get that in.

Personal opinions of some random person on the Internet who is new to this hobby...
  • Remove the words "GEAR" and "LANDING GEAR" from the feet. It looks silly in my opinion and makes it look like a cheap children's toy piece.
  • Like a previous comment, I also don't care much for the engraving on the bottom. I think the "empty" bottom will look clean and nice. If you absolutely must do the engraving, then maybe do it on the inside? Whether you decide to engrave it on the outside or inside, I would rename the the side modules to something like M-01, where "M" stands for module. The word "side" is an okay description of its function, but sounds kind of lame.

We will consider all you said seriously, thx for your suggestion.

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #16 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 04:57:05 »
I'm actually quite a fan of the engraving, it reminds me of the markings on buildings/vehicles in scifi like Alien or Moon.

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 09:23:04 »
I'm actually quite a fan of the engraving, it reminds me of the markings on buildings/vehicles in scifi like Alien or Moon.
And we are considering using laser engraving instead of CNC to find out which one will look better.

Offline salgiza

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 14:27:44 »
I really love the idea of this keyboard, but as someone else mentioned, will you consider doing a 75 core in the future? A modular keyboard with a function row sounds like a developer’s dream.

P.S. I really like the engraving at the bottom. Combined with the beige/red colours, the keyboard has a very nice retro vibe.

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 13 December 2021, 17:50:27 »
I really love the idea of this keyboard, but as someone else mentioned, will you consider doing a 75 core in the future? A modular keyboard with a function row sounds like a developer’s dream.

P.S. I really like the engraving at the bottom. Combined with the beige/red colours, the keyboard has a very nice retro vibe.

we are trying to design a 75% core, but it would be a hard work because it has an extra row.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 17:39:44 »
Very interested.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline onionfoo

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 20:47:30 »
Very interested in this! Contrary to some opinions I do love the engravings and landing gear notes. Adds a touch of flavor and sparks the engineering side of my brain. There was another comment that recommended shortening Module to M-01 or Core to C-01, I think that would be a great variation. Looking forward to this!

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 22:06:05 »
Very interested in this! Contrary to some opinions I do love the engravings and landing gear notes. Adds a touch of flavor and sparks the engineering side of my brain. There was another comment that recommended shortening Module to M-01 or Core to C-01, I think that would be a great variation. Looking forward to this!

We will try to retype the engraving on the back to see which one is better.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #23 on: Wed, 15 December 2021, 22:17:11 »
ooooooh! Bezels! Must. kop.

Offline ManiacMarc

• Twitch
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 16 December 2021, 00:19:48 »

This ^

Offline KeyRelic

• KeyRelic
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 18 December 2021, 17:19:08 »
I need this for my batcave.

Offline Reece

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 21 December 2021, 06:44:22 »
I am very interested in this.

Would it be possible to have a main module with just the TKL minus the keys you would normally get on the arrow section and move that off into a separate module? Having the ability to lay this out like a normal TKL with the arrows ins,del,home,pgup,pgdown etc on its own module would be so perfect. Then I could have the numpad on the left and the auxiliary macro keys as well for the ultimate build.

[EDIT]
I especially love that beige and brown combo colour scheme.

[EDIT]
I have registered my interest on linked form!  :thumb:

[EDIT]
Having thought it about what I was meaning to say earlier is to split the difference of a TKL and a 60% into a core module and navigation (arrows etc) module which when combined gives a full traditional TKL layout.

[EDIT]
1) What material is the case made from? Is this CNC milled aluminium or plastic?

2) Can the board be easily reprogrammed using your software for a Mac layout such that the modifiers are CTRL->Option(Alt)->CMD instead of the more common CTRL->Super->ALT?

3) Will the knob work on Mac OS to adjust the volume?

4) How will switches be mounted?

5) Will it support hot swappable switches?

6) Is Bluetooth required or can this all be used wired? I prefer wired over BT.

7) Does this have removable batteries for use on Bluetooth? Does the cable charge the batteries in-situ or must they be removed to charge externally?

8 ) What colour options will be available for the end caps? I like the brown and blue but I would like to buy able to buy a few different colours so that I can swap over time when I feel like changing my keycaps to match.
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 December 2021, 10:28:18 by Reece »

Offline linyaofred

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 01:29:40 »

Would it be possible to have a main module with just the TKL minus the keys you would normally get on the arrow section and move that off into a separate module? Having the ability to lay this out like a normal TKL with the arrows ins,del,home,pgup,pgdown etc on its own module would be so perfect. Then I could have the numpad on the left and the auxiliary macro keys as well for the ultimate build.

[EDIT]
I especially love that beige and brown combo colour scheme.

[EDIT]
I have registered my interest on linked form!  :thumb:

[EDIT]
Having thought it about what I was meaning to say earlier is to split the difference of a TKL and a 60% into a core module and navigation (arrows etc) module which when combined gives a full traditional TKL layout.

[EDIT]
1) What material is the case made from? Is this CNC milled aluminium or plastic?

2) Can the board be easily reprogrammed using your software for a Mac layout such that the modifiers are CTRL->Option(Alt)->CMD instead of the more common CTRL->Super->ALT?

3) Will the knob work on Mac OS to adjust the volume?

4) How will switches be mounted?

5) Will it support hot swappable switches?

6) Is Bluetooth required or can this all be used wired? I prefer wired over BT.

7) Does this have removable batteries for use on Bluetooth? Does the cable charge the batteries in-situ or must they be removed to charge externally?

8 ) What colour options will be available for the end caps? I like the brown and blue but I would like to buy able to buy a few different colours so that I can swap over time when I feel like changing my keycaps to match.

1. a TKL core and arrow side would be possible.
2. the case will be aluminium.
3. the app is now working fine on mac with full function.
4. top mounted in core module and bottom mounted in side module.
5. all hot-swap.
6. usb wired and bluetooth dual mode.
7. the board will be shipped without batteries, we are considering using bl5c batteries, because it will be easier for you to get one.
8. we will provide as many colors of the end caps as we can.

Offline Vanquish

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 02:42:19 »
I've always pictured a modular design in my mind, glad it's something being brought to life!

Offline wz89

• New to the rabbithole
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 27 December 2021, 03:51:33 »
I'd be very interested to see what this all looks like with an extra row added for all the modules. What leads do you have on production facilities?

Offline Yves W

Completely agree with Reece! It would be very nice if you could create a TKL by adding 1-2 module(s), e.g. a nav cluster+arrow keys combo and if possible an F row, to a 60% layout. Adding those would be awesome for coding. For spreadsheet work you could then slap a numpad on it temporarily, or have the numpad with a knob permanently on the left.
Looks like a very cool project! I've filled in the IC and will definitely be following this one.

Offline GogNogler

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 04 December 2022, 15:45:43 »
Just checking to see if this one is in the graveyard of ICs or on some sort of life support.