Author Topic: [IC] Ripple TKL - New F13 TKL from CannonKeys with an unusual mounting style  (Read 34224 times)

Offline upas

The Ripple TKL

Click this title to see our coming soon page

>> CHECK OUT THE NEWEST UPDATE HERE <<

Note: "3d" weight will be available as an upgrade option. PVD limited to Special Edition units

>> Please give us your feedback HERE <<

I designed a TKL! While it’s not my personal favorite layout (my ranking - 75%, 1800, 60%, then everything else), I know it's a community favorite. And I wanted to take a stab at making a unique TKL. Just like with the Sat75, Chimera, and Balance, I designed everything from start to finish on this keyboard.

I’ve been using a prototype of the Ripple for almost half a year now, run a few prototype rounds, done quite a bit of testing and messing around with it, and I’m finally satisfied with the results - so without further ado, here is the RippleTKL!

Inspiration

I actually found the concept of “Ripple” for this keyboard while in the design process. For some boards, I start with a concept and design from there. For others - like this one - I played around a bit with drawings and design elements I could use before settling on the concept of a Ripple - the movement water makes when something is dropped in it. From there, designing the rest of the keyboard fell into place.

The contours of the top case and weight are meant to mimic water flowing, a very wavy look. The stepped corner cuts are meant to resemble expanding concentric circles like those found in a ripple, and the side cuts match the wavy-ness of the rest of the top case.

Design Elements

There are a few elements that I knew I wanted to integrate into this design:

No large “forehead” - top and bottom and side bezels don’t have to be the same, but I wanted to avoid a large top bezel

Low front height and low typing angle - for this TKL, I wanted to go low. The keyboard has a 16mm front height and 6 degree typing angle.

Horizontal side cutouts - to make the keyboard easier to pick up

External weight - a bit of extra visual impact and heft - also a cool place to put a Ripple engraving. Thanks OCM for the art!

Note: Production weight will be sandblasted brass and not say "Prototype"

Customizable badge - with a lot of TKLs, the top looks pretty similar. I thought adding a customizable badge would give people a chance to further customize their custom keyboard

And there was an element I tried that ended up not making the cut:
Internal weight (in addition to the external weight) - after testing with and without the internal weight, it didn’t really add much acoustic impact and just raised costs.

On top of this - I wanted the RippleTKL to have a unique mounting style. There are tons of TKLs out there that use the same plate / top mount / o ring gasket mount style (Jane V2 CE - thank you very much for your contribution to the hobby). And they’re legitimately great. But I wanted to do something different.

Mounting Style
The Ripple TKL uses a unique mounting style to allow each person with a Ripple to help tune the sound of the keyboard to the way they see fit, without necessarily relying on stuffing the keyboard with foam, or using a layer of PE foam on top of the PCB (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

I wanted to have this keyboard to have a sound similar to raindrops when typed on, keeping in line with the Ripple theme. Whether or not this was actually accomplished… I’ll leave that to you to decide. But - it is really versatile in how it can sound, acoustically.

First - the plate. The plate has tabs that extend out and are compressed together by the top and bottom cases: These tabs were to help with typing feel - adding a little bit of bounce (amount of bounce varies based on plate material).

Note: Production plate will have expanded layout support

If you look at the tabs closely, you’ll see that they have little indentations on each side of them. These are actually for small o-rings. Using small o rings on the plate here is my preferred configuration - but the Ripple also allows 1.5mm poron strips to be used instead of the o-rings.

But the plate modifications alone - whether o-rings or poron strips - are actually not enough to provide the compression necessary to keep the plate in place. For that - we actually have to add another layer of modification to the top case.

The top case has pockets meant to add another way to impact sound. For my prototypes, I tried 70A Silicone, Poron, PE Foam, and EVA Foam. Each impacted the sound in its own unique way, and will be included as potential mods with each group buy unit.

With the 2 plate modifications plus the 4 materials used in the top pockets - the Ripple actually has 8 ways you can set it up to achieve your desired sound.

I went ahead and actually made sound tests of each of these 8 methods, which are linked below:
Plate O-rings, EVA Foam Top Mod, FR4 Plate
Plate O-rings, PE Foam Top Mod, FR4 Plate
Plate O-rings, Poron Top Mod, FR4 Plate
Plate O-rings, Silicone Top Mod, FR4 Plate
Plate Poron, EVA Foam Top Mod, FR4 Plate
Plate Poron, PE Foam Top Mod, FR4 Plate
Plate Poron, Poron Top Mod, FR4 Plate
Plate Poron, Silicone Foam Top Mod, FR4 Plate

Each test was taken using the same microphone setup (Behringer XM5800 6” away from keyboard), FR4 plate, Mizu Mink switches lubed with 205g0, Cherry Clip in Stabs, and NicePBT keycaps.

My personal preference is using the o-rings as a plate modification, and poron as the top pocket modifier - though EVA foam is a close second..

Scrapped Ideas

One prototyping round we tried actually got rid of the top pockets - limiting the keyboard mounting style only to the plate modification (o rings or poron). While the keyboard felt and sounded good, I thought it was acoustically a bit too similar to many keyboards that are already out there, so I chose to go with the pocketed version of the top case.

Options
PCBs
The RippleTKL will be available with either a solderable or hotswap PCB - your choice. And PCBs will be available as extras.

Both PCBs will have:
STM32 or equivalent ARM processor
QMK and VIA (and vial) support
Normal 4 pin JST-SH connector for Unified C3 Daughterboard
ESD Protection

The Solderable PCB will have:
Multiple Layout Support
Optional backlight LEDs
CAPS and SCROLL indicator LED support (note if you use this, those two keys will not be part of the backlighting)

The Hotswap PCB will have:
Kailh or TTC hotswap sockets
Single Layout Support (7U Bottom Row, Normal Caps, 2.75U RShift, Full Backspace)
Presoldered CAPS and SCROLL indicator LEDs

Layouts

Both a WKL and WK version of the top will be available. The default plate will support 7U bottom row, split backspace, split right shift, and stepped caps. We will also offer a universal variant with 6.25U bottom row and ISO support as an extra.

The keyboard will come with an aluminum plate by default, but other plate materials will be available. PC, FR4, and Carbon Fiber plates will be available as extras. We need your feedback to determine if we should use any other plate materials!

Colors

We believe the design really shines with some lighter colors - you can see the contours really nicely, so we’ll likely run the keyboard in blue grey and lavender colors. Navy is a favorite of mine, so that will also be an option. E-white and black are usual choices as well and make the board very versatile. In addition to this, we’ll run an additional community chosen color.

The keyboard is not 2-tone, so the top and bottom case will match. The brass weight will be sandblasted and coated by default, and feature the engraving shown above.

Badges

We’d like to allow folks to pick their own front badge. Each keyboard will come with a “Ripple” engraved front badge in sandblasted brass. Additional custom badges will also be available - but we’ll need to figure out how to properly allow for a reasonable number of custom designs. They'll likely run at a later time, after the keyboard group buy.

Special Edition
We’re also going to be running a few special edition Ripples. These will feature PVD coated brass weights, as well as our special ripple engraving:

The front badge will also have a PVD finish - and perhaps a special engraving as well.

We’re still deciding on the final configurations of the special editions as well - and we are looking for more feedback there as well.

We’re thinking of running up to 3 versions:
All black board with Glossy Black PVD finish (note - we tried matte - it’s a fingerprint magnet)
E-white board with Gold PVD finish
Navy board with Silver PVD finish

This special edition will cost more. We may make the sandblasted 3d ripple weight available as an upgrade or addon for the normal units. They're more expensive due to the extra machine time needed.
PVD finishes will be limited to special editions.

Summary
To summarize, the RippleTKL has the following features:
Hotswap or Solderable PCB supporting QMK and VIA w/ ESD Protection
C3 Unified Daughterboard Compatibility
Unique mounting style
O-ring and Poron Plate Modifiers
Poron, Silicone, PE Foam, and EVA Foam Top Pocket Modifiers
16mm front height
6 degree typing angle

Each kit will come with:

6063 Aluminum Anodized Top and Bottom
7U Bottom Row Aluminum Plate (no ISO support)  - Anodized Black
Sandblasted Brass Front Badge
Sandblasted Brass External Weight w/ Ripple Engraving (optional upgrade to 3d ripple weight)
Your choice of solderable or hotswap PCB (upcharge for hotswap)
Unified C3 Daughterboard and JST Cable
O-ring and Poron Plate Modifiers
Poron, Silicone, PE Foam, and EVA Foam Top Pocket Modifiers
4”x6” Authenticity Card
Custom Silicone Feet (bumpon compatible)
Screw Hardware and Hex Keys to use on the Screw Hardware
CannonKeys Carrying Case (note - this is meant to protect the keyboard, we won’t replace it if it gets damaged, but we may be able to provide a small store credit)
Microfiber Cloth

And we’ll sell the following as extras:
Custom aluminum/brass badges (designs TBD, probably will happen after the GB)
FR4, Carbon Fiber, Polycarbonate Plates in Fixed 7U and Universal Layouts
Solderable and Hotswap PCBs
Daughterboard + JST cable Kits
Silicone Feet
Extra plate modifier kits (o rings and poron)
Extra top pocket modifier kits (EVA Foam, PE Foam, Poron, Silicone)
Plate Foam (Poron, to put between the PCB and Plate)

Pricing and Vendors
This keyboard will be sold on CannonKeys only, worldwide. We don’t have a group buy date yet, but we hope to sell it this summer. It will be released via CannonKeys Hype System.

We hope to set a high cap on normal edition units (high enough that we hope everyone who wants one can get one, but reasonable so we can actually execute upon the GB)
The special edition units will have a low cap (no more than 50, probably less)

Expected pricing for the normal edition is in the $475 ballpark range.
Special edition units will likely be in the $600 ballpark range.

We'll try to get some of prototypes in the hands of streamers soon! I'll update the IC with more info when that is arranged.

More photos available below:
More

« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2022, 16:05:55 by upas »

Offline keebibi

• My Discord Server
Having seen this at the Seattle meetup, I can guarantee it is absolutely beautiful. GLWIC!

Offline upas

Reserving a post where I can make an FAQ

Offline TyPo.mk

Gorgeous board upas, and that special edition weight is *chef’s kiss*

Offline Chippy

• sus chef
reserved
1.2og | Buddy 6xx | Le Fishe V1 Proto | xyz60 Rev2 | Quartermaster | Chimera65 | Satisfaction75 | Realforce 84u | Zenith Z-150 | Realforce 86u | 378
More
This and the swiss cheese keyboard is the next generation of keyboards

Offline clik_clak

Not a fan of the nameplate at all, but the rest looks really nice.

Offline jortzii

Love this! Also not usually a fan of TKL’s, but this is so unique and pretty
Volcano660 | Satisfaction75 | Think6.5 | TGR Jane V2 CE | Preonic | IC Kira | Drop ALT

Offline PuNkShoO

• I make keyboard switches.
    • Check out my projects!
Absolutely stunning!

Offline bshendy

Great looking keyboard and good work!

With all the different combinations of mounting between the o-rings, silicone, and top pocket modifiers, I imagine there will not just be a difference in sound but also the typing feel. Considering the amount of combinations, should someone that buy's a Ripple also expect to see a guide as far as what each different combination or material does as far as expected sound and feel?

Have you experimented in using varying combinations of mounting and top modifiers on the same build on the plate tabs? (example: using plate o rings and silicone top mods on the outer tabs and plate poron and pe foam on the inner plate tabs)
« Last Edit: Fri, 22 July 2022, 16:32:25 by bshendy »

Offline hiddensong

• this too shall pass
Yet another Upas design. Keep ‘em comin’! I am extremely curious as to the sound variations accomplishable with this keeb. You have my attention.

Offline realyungchung

This looks amazing! But please consider a badgeless option. The curves look incredible on their own.

Offline Robert.Lussier5

Looks great!

Please consider stepped caps option on hotswap pcb!

Austin R3 - Green // Austin R3 - Purple // Custom Acrylic Austin - Clear // Rekt1800 - Blue // Cypher r4 - Black // Boston - Sparkle Black // Balance - White // Glitch - Green // Shelby80 - Navy // Odin - Silver // Zoom65  Red // QK65 - Black // Link65 - Lilac

Offline aiwa501

Very stunning board.  GLWIC.   

Offline Skok

ARISE NOW, YE TARNISHED

Offline upas

Great looking keyboard and good work!

With all the different combinations of mounting between the o-rings, silicone, and top pocket modifiers, I imagine there will not just be a difference in sound but also the typing feel. Considering the amount of combinations, should someone that buy's a Ripple also expect to see a guide as far as what each different combination or material does as far as expected sound and feel?

Have you experimented in using varying combinations of mounting and top modifiers on the same build on the plate tabs? (example: using plate o rings and silicone top mods on the outer tabs and plate poron and pe foam on the inner plate tabs)

There are definitely a ton of combinations you could try here... we haven't tried them all. The ones I tried were basically to my preference (FR4 plate and Mizu Minks), but I still think you can hear the acoustic impact of the different materials. Imo listening to those would be the best way to figure out the expected impact on sound. We could try to describe it in words, but I don't think we'd do a great job of capturing the differences.

In terms of feel - I don't think the top modifiers impact feel all that much (poron, eva, silicone, PE). If anything, I'd say the board feels nominally stiffer with the silicone compared to the others, but I'm splitting hairs.
Using o rings on the plate vs poron has a larger impact in terms of feel, imo. With the o ring version feeling a bit more bouncy. But again - it's a marginal difference.

Offline WXYaa

That SE weight...

Offline Cawfee

Wow great looking board! However I do think that the badge on top is a tad too much, I feel like the overall aesthetic of the board would be better without it, other than that it looks great!

Offline andromache

Love how this ties into one solid concept/theme, on top of seeming like a great board.

Customizable badges seem fun too! Also excited to see what the community-chosen color will be.

Offline HungHingDaiLo

• 無間道
IC form filled, can't wait to see the community-chosen color(s).  :thumb:

Offline outerspace

About that front badge above the arrow cluster, imo, a miniature version of the weight would look so much better than “ripple”.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
Now this is how you do mounting options! Awesome work as always Upas, hope I can nab one of these!

Can you speak more to the customizations options for that front badge? It would be awesome if you could get the SE weight droplet look on the front.

Offline sarvopari

That backweight is something! Nice work :thumb:

Offline throwaway776

Looks great, very interested in the black color way!

Offline ChaustinAo

Great board! Got to see this at the Seattle meetup and it was dope AF

Offline Luna

I really want the SE version of this board to try the different plates and mounting options with a hotswap PCB, then finalize with a solder PCB when I made my choice.
I'd get an SE E-White version but I hope we will be able to choose the color of the weight and badge separatly from the case color as gold deinitley is a no-go for me, I need silver with E-White to use with cold-white keycaps.

Will we be able to choose the color of the weight for SE?

Offline F2Grey

Is it possible to set this up as WKL with an ISO (or ANSISO) layout? It's not 100% clear to me based on the desciption.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 July 2022, 08:27:58 by F2Grey »

Offline upas

Can you speak more to the customizations options for that front badge? It would be awesome if you could get the SE weight droplet look on the front.

We are getting a few more badge options manufactured now based on IC feedback. Stay tuned for more here.

I really want the SE version of this board to try the different plates and mounting options with a hotswap PCB, then finalize with a solder PCB when I made my choice.
I'd get an SE E-White version but I hope we will be able to choose the color of the weight and badge separatly from the case color as gold deinitley is a no-go for me, I need silver with E-White to use with cold-white keycaps.

Will we be able to choose the color of the weight for SE?

We'll try to make it possible to choose the weight color for SE.

Is it possible to set this up as WKL with an ISO (or ANSISO) layout? It's not 100% clear to me based on the desciption.

Yes - you'd have to buy the universal plate, though.

Offline lemanh97

Nice job with the board. Are the GB from Cannonkeys unlimited/high quantity GB? I really don't like to fight my way to get a premium/beautiful board like this.
Ty for the attention.
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 August 2022, 20:32:17 by lemanh97 »

Offline shendoo

• *RAUGHS*
Great looking board! I am def interested in the SE !!!

Offline ronin

Looks absolutely stunning, GLWIC.

I'm very interested in the SE with that beautiful engraving. Just need to know what colors will be offered for it and whether it'll match any of the keycap sets I have incoming.

Had a question though, you mentioned the engraving will be done by OCM. What/who is OCM?

Offline Something_Magical

The board looks great!

I'm definitely interested in it with the special weight.

My one slight concern is that the position of the screws breaking up the stepped motif at the corners seems to be an unfortunate location for them from a visual point of view, would it be possible to move them a bit out of the way/cover up the screw holes after the fact?

Offline Tsenohebot

I love this but living in the EU means that 100$ tariff on import, or atleast it does for regular orders from canonkeys, is the hype system any different?

Offline lewisflude

• Hand Engineering
    • Hand Engineering
I love the special edition ripple weight engraving

Offline LMarci

Incredibly unique, glwic!

Offline twj3xu

Love this, especially the low height and angle! Agree that the o-rings w/poron top mod sound great.
Reserved.

Offline upas

Re: [IC] Ripple TKL - New F13 TKL from CannonKeys with an unusual mounting style
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 16:04:48 »
Hey everyone!

It’s been a few months since we posted our IC and we have some updates to share. It’s been a while, but we went through all the submitted feedback (thank you to everyone who submitted), and have made a few changes that we think most people will like. Before settling on the changes, we wanted to make sure we had some physical samples to check out what they’d look like - hence the delay in the updates here. But we’re eager to share these with you!

Updates:

Mounting Style Improvements:
While we really liked the sound and feel of the Ripple mounting style, the initial prototypes didn’t have the best build experience. We want everyone to be able to try out different materials for the top modifiers to tune their keyboard to their preference. Because of this, we couldn’t use a normal adhesive on the top modifier pieces – if we did, they’d be very difficult to remove – so we chose to go without adhesive.

While this gave us the flexibility to change the top modifiers, the top modifiers would also sometimes fall out if the top part and bottom part of the keyboard case were not assembled in the right order. It was a pretty frustrating experience.

To remedy this, we searched for a weaker adhesive that would provide enough adhesion to stay in the pockets, but also be easily removable, unlike the typical gasket adhesives that are used. We tried a few different types, and landed on one which works really well.

I tested these top modifiers live on a stream, if you’re interested in more details, you can watch the VOD here.

Bottom Weight:
After we revealed the PVD Brass “3d ripple” bottom weight - your feedback was overwhelmingly positive! But we also saw that based on IC feedback, most people wanted the 3d ripple weight, even if not purchasing a special edition.

So we're going to make the 3d Ripple sandblasted weight the default. We think it looks amazing!

Top badge:
We heard a lot of varying feedback about the top badge - ranging from ideas for new designs, to wanting us to get rid of the badge entirely. We considered selling versions of Ripple without a badge cutout, but ultimately decided against it to help limit SKU and help make QC manageable. But also because I personally like having the badge on the top and think it helps differentiate the board top-down from other F13 TKLs.

But, we did make some changes:
We made 2 new badge designs - one with a 3d ripple pattern similar to the back weight (it's a different pattern though), and another badge using the ripple logo that was formerly on the weight. These two badges will be options that buyers can pick from. There will be a slight upcharge for the 3d badge.
The text badge was pretty much everyone’s least favorite - so it will only be available as an extra
We will also offer blank badges as extras. If you want something that’s close to a no-badge look, you could put in a blank badge.

We do want to offer more customization to badges - so we’re still looking into how we might be able to do that. There were some really interesting ideas, like Hokusai Great Wave, Bongo Cat, Sound Waves - but they’ll have to wait. We’ll likely run the group buy for the keyboard first using the designs we do have, then once we have customization ready, we’ll do a separate group buy for those.

Default Plate:
I personally like FR4 plates. And FR4 plates are typically cheaper than aluminum plates. So we’re going to bundle the default Ripple configuration with an FR4 plate. Aluminum plates will be available as an upgrade, though, so you won’t be left with an extra plate if you don’t want an extra plate. We’re also going to ship with a universal plate by default - including support for ISO and 6.25U bottom row. ANSI 7U plates will be available as extras.

Next Steps and Potential GB Details:
So - what’s next for Ripple? We’re working internally on locking in details about the group buy, but here is what we’re thinking so far:

Normal Edition
Sandblasted Brass 3d Ripple Weight
Sandblasted Brass Badge - your choice of logo badge or 3d ripple badge ($5 upcharge)
Your choice of WK or WKL top
Your choice of Solderable or Hotswap PCB ($10 upcharge)
Your choice of FR4 or Aluminum Universal Plate (Upcharge TBD)
Case colors: Silver, Navy, Blue-Grey, E-White, Black

These colors are a bit more limited than what we initially wanted to offer. We had to make concessions here in order to achieve a lower price - more on that later.

Special Edition:
Glossy PVD 3D Ripple Weight
Glossy PVD Badges - both 3d ripple badge and logo badge
Your choice of WK or WKL top
Your choice of Solderable or Hotswap PCB ($10 upcharge)
Aluminum Universal Plate (no upcharge)
Case colors are the same as the normal edition
PVD weights will be available in Gold or Silver

Due to the nature of glossy PVD weights - we will be limiting the quantity of Special Edition units available. They’ll also be more expensive.

Both editions will come with the following:
CannonKeys Carrying Case
Microfiber Cloth
PE, EVA, Poron, and Silicone top modifiers
Poron and O-ring plate tab modifiers
Daughterboard + JST Cable
4”x6” Authenticity Card
Custom Silicone Feet (bumpon compatible)
Screw Hardware and Hex Keys to use on the Screw Hardware

And finally - we’ll be offering the following as extras as well:
Case + Plate foam kit (Dampening kit)
Different hardness O-rings
PC, CF, Alu, FR4, and POM plates in Universal and Fixed ANSI 7u Layouts
Replacement top modifier kits
Extra PCBs

We’re aiming to start the group buy in early January and run it for at least full month. We expect the boards to ship in Q3 2023.

Pricing:
We do have some revised pricing. We were fearful that giving everyone the 3D weight would be cost prohibitive, but based on IC volume, we were able to price at a higher MOQ, and negotiate the price downwards! Unfortunately, to achieve this, we also had to limit case color options – but we think this is a good trade-off.

Our initial pricing estimates for the normal edition was in the $475 ballpark, we can bring this down closer to $450 instead. And we’re still looking for ways we could bring this lower.

Similarly, the special edition pricing is coming down from $600 to around $550.

This pricing isn’t finalized - and there’s a chance it can come down even further, but the final price should be no more expensive than these new numbers.

As we work to finalize all of this - keep an eye out for final GB details which we should have for you in a couple weeks.
Our coming soon page on CannonKeys will also be updated shortly with a configurator experience - so you can see what each of the combinations might look like.

TL;DR:
The build experience has been improved with new adhesive on the top modifiers
Everyone gets a 3D bottom weight
The text badge has been replaced - you can choose the logo badge or 3d badge
FR4 plate comes default, you can upgrade to aluminum
$450 or less for standard edition, $550 or less for special edition
GB will happen in January 2023 and will ship by Q3 2023

« Last Edit: Mon, 14 November 2022, 16:15:59 by upas »

Offline Extra-Cwispy

Re: [IC] Ripple TKL - New F13 TKL from CannonKeys with an unusual mounting style
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 13:15:27 »
Really like all the changes made! Looking forward to this :thumb:
Would love to see some prototypes in the hands of some creators if that's possible too!

P.S. it looks like the VOD you posted is no longer available

Offline thocciness

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 17 November 2022, 11:05:15 »
I wonder what the ripple weight would feel like irl!

Offline Its Salty

• I have no idea what I'm doing
« Reply #39 on: Thu, 17 November 2022, 18:42:01 »
So happy to see the update to the weight options. I really think that this setup is pushing more emphasis on the weight that everyone is going to want

I'm sure this project is going to shine and I cant wait to see it in person!! :thumb:

Offline MattVortex

« Reply #40 on: Sat, 10 December 2022, 19:34:39 »
How much is shipping likely to cost to Europe, given that you are not running the GB via vendors?