Poll

What should happen with the payment discrepancy?

Refund money to participants
9 (25%)
Send participants extra switches
8 (22.2%)
Send participants silly things and donate money
19 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: Mon, 26 October 2015, 15:35:50

Author Topic: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates  (Read 300779 times)

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
Re: [GB] Alps Party 60% - Hannibal at the Gates
« Reply #1400 on: Mon, 15 February 2016, 18:43:21 »
this big reveal better be something along the lines of you implanted an Alps keyboard into arm.

You have no idea how much I actually want to do this.  I would totally get into wet mods if I could afford it.

Like: "gotta send an email" *types noisily on arm* "Done"
we need this
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #1401 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 12:54:40 »
Surely if we're getting into wet mods, keyboards are a dead end? Hell, text input would be a dead end. You should just be able to think something and it would exist as a finished sentence, ideally...

Offline E3E

« Reply #1402 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 13:42:10 »
Does anyone have a spare HHKB plate they aren't using? Bonus points for a blue powder coated one.

Highly unlikely, I know. :P

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #1403 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 16:47:45 »
this big reveal better be something along the lines of you implanted an Alps keyboard into arm.

You have no idea how much I actually want to do this.  I would totally get into wet mods if I could afford it.

Well, the difficulty would be that you could only type with one hand.  So you would have to become adept at one-handed typing.

In that case, I recommend implanting into the thigh instead.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1404 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:29:52 »

Well, the difficulty would be that you could only type with one hand.  So you would have to become adept at one-handed typing.

Ergo on each thigh.  Duh.  You think this is amateur hour?

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1405 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 17:45:38 »

Hard when you're standing though...

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline axtran

« Reply #1406 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 18:09:37 »

Hands in pockets. Like a switch hitter... PUN INTENDED
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1407 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 18:18:49 »

Hands in pockets. Like a switch hitter... PUN INTENDED

I already carry around a matias click switch for stress reasons...

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1408 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 18:20:39 »
And now it is time for me to do my little reveal.

My GB has been built upon some lies.

It was never about the Alps, and it was never about me.

So why did I do it?

...to make the best Christmas present ever.

So here is how the con went down.  It was the middle of August when I was trying to stay on top of the game.  I was racking my brain, trying to figure out a great Christmas gift idea for the girlfriend.  You see, last year she got me a Tom Baker scarf.  Never heard of it?  There is a whole website dedicated to researching the colors and lengths used to replicate this iconic bit of knit extravagance.  And she didn't just go on Etsy and pay a few hundred $$$ for some subpar knockoff.  No, she hand-knit the entire thing.  She had secretly knit every day for months on the bus, between work, at home, this 18 foot monstrosity.  It was genius.  I refused to be outdone.

So I decided to give her this gift.

In the middle of August, I put feelers out to a few select individuals about making this happen.  The next day, the IC was up.  After a month of ****ering over the details, the GB went live on Sept. 23rd.  At the end of that month, I realized I would need stabilizers to complete my goal, so I started a SECOND IC/GB to raise interest.  By the 5th of October, I was shutting down the entries.  I had a deadline to make, and I didn't have time to let stragglers hold me back.  I started the ordering process before I had all of the invoices paid, risking my own cash to front the bill and keep things moving full steam.  Things started rolling in during the last half of November.  By December, I didn't have any room left in my living room.  I spent hours getting everything sorted and taken care of before finally building my boards.

Some folks politely suggested when I first started running this that I was overstepping my bounds by making a catch-all GB for first time.  I quietly assured them that I was competent, not revealing my true motives.  I had to get all of the parts built for my boards by December.  I couldn't wait for someone else to run a plate buy while someone else ran the PCB buy, leaving me hoping that everything turned out ok.  I had to take fate into my own hands.  I had to be the collected resource.

I spent a lot of time doing the extracurricular projects for this GB.  I made cute little photoshopped headers to advertise the sale.  I sculpted and produced a limited run of caps from scratch so people could get excited about a little contest to encourage them to participate.  I made sure to answer as many questions as possible as soon as possible, so much that my advisor started getting frustrated by the time I was spending on this, rather than my research.  I had to have the support of the participants.  I needed to draw you in.

The girlfriend knew I was working on this.  I couldn't hide it from her.  I was spending hours of my time making sure everything went smoothly.  But she never knew.  I placated her with lies about how I was doing this for selfish keyboard greed.  I told her about every move I made save the most critical ones.  She never saw it coming.  I told her I was making the board blue because it was related to my screenname, not that I made them blue because it is her favorite color.  I got a little Cherry switch tester early on and had her tell me about which switch she liked most.  I used that information to choose to make an Alps board.  She didn't know that they were a thing, and she didn't know that she was describing qualities about the switches she liked which happened to match the Alps peculiarities. 

I took more time than I expected when etching the cases.  Each hand scrawled engraving needed to have something personal to connect each board, his and hers, to each other.  A half-heart outlined as yin on one side; a half-heart shaded in as yang on the other.  Names.  A cat snuggling a tufted titmouse, myself and my ornithologist respectively.  Little symbols that have meaning only to us.  For her I doodled and practiced to get them just the way I wanted.

The reveal to her when she unwrapped it was worth it all.  The box contained her keyboard, but not her gift.

"The keyboard wasn't her gift?", you ask yourself.

No.

Like Helen of Troy, her gift was something more than a golden apple trinket.

I raised an army for her.

So there you have it.  My big reveal.  All of you were pawns in my game all along.  I can look back and say this now, because I took pains to make sure the only thing I gained from this was the support of my minions.  I took no profit.  I took no easy path.  I hope no one feels too betrayed by this.  I may not be the Alps crusader you assumed or the GB messiah I strove to be, but I still hope you enjoyed the ride.

I'm typing on my half of the whole now.  I really do like it.  I get a special sort of joy every time I use it.  I have even been writing more because I enjoy the board so much. 

To all of you, thanks for helping me achieve my goal.

And any time somebody gives you **** for a nerdy hobby, you can look to this answer to the age old question: can keyboards get you laid?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #1409 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 19:22:52 »
HOLY ****.  I can't even...

That's so elaborate, so twisted, so...perfect.

Congratulations on a scam well-executed, and give your other half my best.  :3  I hope she appreciates having impacted our lives and this forum to such a degree without even knowing.  :))

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1410 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 19:52:21 »
All I learned from that story is that I'm a ****ty boyfriend.

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #1411 on: Tue, 16 February 2016, 21:12:24 »
That's so sweat  :thumb:
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #1412 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 05:15:38 »
What a lovely story! You had me at "Tom Baker scarf" :D

(Here's mine)
128513-0

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1413 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 09:05:08 »
Wow. That's so much work for that, good on you!

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #1414 on: Wed, 17 February 2016, 18:10:08 »
Thank you Hannibal

You lead this army across the Alps well :)

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1415 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 10:30:11 »
I thought I'd share some pics of the ANSI board I just finished building last night (x-post from Alps Appreciation Thread):

Alps Party ANSI plate, hasu PCB, blue Alps switches, Tai Hao Olivetti keycaps, and a blue-gray 3D printed Z-case.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1416 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 12:29:23 »
That's a handsome build nj.

Offline Spaceman1200

« Reply #1417 on: Fri, 19 February 2016, 12:34:20 »
I thought I'd share some pics of the ANSI board I just finished building last night (x-post from Alps Appreciation Thread):

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Alps Party ANSI plate, hasu PCB, blue Alps switches, Tai Hao Olivetti keycaps, and a blue-gray 3D printed Z-case.

Makes me wish i went with ANSI instead of AEK2 lol

Offline rm-rf

« Reply #1418 on: Sat, 20 February 2016, 04:24:11 »
when is the GB for the scarf? i've been wanting one of those for 20+ years

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #1419 on: Sun, 21 February 2016, 01:14:56 »
Hahaha! Holy ****! After finally going through this thread I found out why I got an alps to mx converter (and I definitely approve of the silly things choice), but the best reveal was that this was all for love! Damn, my statement still stands man:

You da realest homie of them all!  ;D

Offline Yoe

• Alps & ISO <3
« Reply #1420 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 01:46:38 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Nice build! That blue-gray case really goes well with both the switches and the caps :)

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1421 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:44:49 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Are those the Tai Hao caps or pulled from a vintage board?  They look like Tai Hao to me.
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:52:27 by vivalarevolución »

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #1422 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 19:53:30 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Are those the Tai Hao caps or pulled from a vintage board?  They look like Tai Hao to me.

Read again.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1423 on: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:52:48 »

Show Image
Show Image
Show Image

Read again.

Thanks, that important info was hiding under the photos and I didn't see it.   :'(
« Last Edit: Mon, 22 February 2016, 20:54:30 by vivalarevolución »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1424 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 15:46:15 »
Gah. Finally desoldered my MX switched from my Infinity PCB and put in the Alps... but somehow managed to break 7 of the switch inputs?! Pretty sure it's not the switches or the solder job, switched out the diode on one of them for a test and it wasn't that. Does anyone have any advice on how to debug this issue further?

Example of my bad, but not terrible, soldering:

I knew I should have got a PCB. Anyone order one too many, per-chance?  :(

Offline flabbergast

« Reply #1425 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 16:01:51 »
All of those (except Backspace) are on the same row. So I'd say that either the trace to the controller is broken, or the controller pin is not soldered properly (it should be connected to pin PTB3 on the MCU, see page 59 of this datasheet for the pinout).
EDIT: BTW also Caps and LWin are on the same row.
EDIT2: for the row/col assignment check this, definition of the KEYMAP macro (production). To see which pins does the row/col correspond to, see this. And I was wrong, it row1 is PTB1. (was looking at the wrong file, sorry).
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 February 2016, 16:11:50 by flabbergast »

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #1426 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 18:44:42 »
All of those (except Backspace) are on the same row. So I'd say that either the trace to the controller is broken, or the controller pin is not soldered properly (it should be connected to pin PTB3 on the MCU, see page 59 of this datasheet for the pinout).
EDIT: BTW also Caps and LWin are on the same row.
EDIT2: for the row/col assignment check this, definition of the KEYMAP macro (production). To see which pins does the row/col correspond to, see this. And I was wrong, it row1 is PTB1. (was looking at the wrong file, sorry).

Thanks for sharing your expertise  :thumb:  Hopefully I can figure this out tomorrow and report back!

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1427 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 23:13:25 »
The final package which was MIA has arrived!!!! This is pretty much done for now.  I will start making plans for the donations.

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #1428 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 10:44:57 »
Finally I can start my Alps Party hehe!

It turned out great and was worth the wait. Now all that I need are those Alpine Winter keycaps! Thanks again for everything Blue! :thumb:

Offline sean

• Mechanical newb
« Reply #1429 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 19:04:49 »

Show Image

It turned out great and was worth the wait. Now all that I need are those Alpine Winter keycaps! Thanks again for everything Blue! :thumb:
That's so cool,  is the case a solid piece  of wood?

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #1430 on: Sun, 06 March 2016, 01:33:27 »

Show Image

That's so cool,  is the case a solid piece  of wood?
Yes it is. I got it from seal woodworking on massdrop.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #1431 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 12:06:40 »
Greetings everyone. I've been away for quite a while due to ... life. Anyway, I sat down this weekend to take inventory and order any remaining missing parts, so that I can start assembly. Switches ... check. Diodes, ... check. Caps ... check. PCB ... check. Mounting plate ... NOOOOOOOOO!

It turns out that I received a 102W plate, instead of a 101W plate. This is my fault entirely, as I neglected to notice this when I received same, so this is in no way a beotch session. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has a spare 101W plate that they can part with. If not, the Alpine Winter set fortunately includes an ISO enter cap, so I can build what I have. I've just never been an ISO fan. I'm a creature of habit, I suppose.

While I'm at it I'd like to express my sincere thanks to njbair and BlueNalgene for a pair of well run and well timed GB's. Thanks gents!

Offline cheddarbek

« Reply #1432 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 13:55:13 »
I don't have a 101W, but I've got an Infinity if you're interested.
The Alps cover 65% of Switzerland's surface area (41,285 km˛), making it one of the most alpine countries. Despite the fact that Switzerland covers only 14% of the Alps total area (192,753 km˛),[2][3] many alpine four-thousanders (48 of 82) are located in the Swiss Alps and practically all of the remaining few are within 20 km of the country's border.

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #1433 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 14:40:08 »
I don't have a 101W, but I've got an Infinity if you're interested.

Thanks for the quick reply ... definitely interested!!! I need to verify whether my Alpine Winter set came with an Infinity-length spacebar.

I'll PM you ...

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #1434 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 15:40:02 »

I need to verify whether my Alpine Winter set came with an Infinity-length spacebar.

It did.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #1435 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 22:57:29 »

I need to verify whether my Alpine Winter set came with an Infinity-length spacebar.

It did.

Yes, you are correct sir (as you well know - thanks for your efforts, by the way)!

I love the way that everyone in this community jumps in to lend a hand. Cheers!

Offline Muffinbottoms

« Reply #1436 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 23:40:40 »

Show Image

Oooooo! Are those the really light linear ALPS switches? How do they feel to type on?

Offline SpikeBolt

• √(4) != -2
« Reply #1437 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 08:24:15 »

Show Image

Oooooo! Are those the really light linear ALPS switches? How do they feel to type on?
They are Matias Linear switches (simplified alps clones). I haven't received the keycaps yet so I'm unsure of how they really feel yet but they seem extremely smooth. My other (unclean) alps boards are kinda awful when pressed off-center, I'm hoping this brand new switches don't do the same :P Will update when I get the keycaps.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1438 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 12:48:56 »
Greetings everyone. I've been away for quite a while due to ... life. Anyway, I sat down this weekend to take inventory and order any remaining missing parts, so that I can start assembly. Switches ... check. Diodes, ... check. Caps ... check. PCB ... check. Mounting plate ... NOOOOOOOOO!

It turns out that I received a 102W plate, instead of a 101W plate. This is my fault entirely, as I neglected to notice this when I received same, so this is in no way a beotch session. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has a spare 101W plate that they can part with. If not, the Alpine Winter set fortunately includes an ISO enter cap, so I can build what I have. I've just never been an ISO fan. I'm a creature of habit, I suppose.

While I'm at it I'd like to express my sincere thanks to njbair and BlueNalgene for a pair of well run and well timed GB's. Thanks gents!

I just saw this.  Sorry you got the wrong plate.  I don't understand how that error could have happened, unless someone else got the 101W plate you were supposed to get.  I haven't heard anything like that.  I wish I had a spare I could send you.  Is there anything I can do to rectify the problem?

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #1439 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 13:44:21 »

I just saw this.  Sorry you got the wrong plate.  I don't understand how that error could have happened, unless someone else got the 101W plate you were supposed to get.  I haven't heard anything like that.  I wish I had a spare I could send you.  Is there anything I can do to rectify the problem?

No, we're good, but I appreciate the concern. I managed to make a love connection with another member who has a spare Infinity plate. The more I think about it, the more I think that I'll ultimately be happier with the Infinity, than with the 101W.

I'll hold onto the 102W for a few weeks to see if anyone else reports having received the wrong plate. If there is no show of hands I'll post it in the classifieds, as I expect one of our brothers on the other side of the pond will surely be interested.

Thanks again!

Offline rand77

« Reply #1440 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 01:20:05 »
Bit late to the party, but here she is.  Salmon alps were harvested from an old Apple M0116.  The wooden case is a Royal Glam (Walnut?) from Massdrop.

Going to put some Tao Hao Dolch keycaps on it this weekend. Need to still figure out how to reduce the torsional spacebar wobble (actuates correctly), I'm thinking either tape or lube on the metal wire where it meets the plastic inserts.   

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #1441 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 08:20:54 »
Bit late to the party, but here she is.  Salmon alps were harvested from an old Apple M0116.  The wooden case is a Royal Glam (Walnut?) from Massdrop.

Going to put some Tao Hao Dolch keycaps on it this weekend. Need to still figure out how to reduce the torsional spacebar wobble (actuates correctly), I'm thinking either tape or lube on the metal wire where it meets the plastic inserts.

Those salmon switches sure do look sexy!

Perhaps try some heatshrink on the tips of the stabs? Just a thought.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #1442 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 22:35:14 »
Hey guys, I'm going to buy some of the K&S Precision Metal music wire #502 to make some Alps stabilizer wire.  Let me know if anyone else wants any.  I will have way too much for myself. 

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s502.htm

Offline axtran

« Reply #1443 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 23:05:55 »
Hey guys, I'm going to buy some of the K&S Precision Metal music wire #502 to make some Alps stabilizer wire.  Let me know if anyone else wants any.  I will have way too much for myself. 

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s502.htm

I'd really love one for my spacebar (AEK Layout). :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline rand77

« Reply #1444 on: Fri, 22 April 2016, 23:16:53 »
Tried some heat shrink today and it came off a lot, so I just used thick EK lube.  Spacebar wobble with Tao Hao keycaps is under control, and feels OK with normal use.

As others mentioned the 2.75x right shift stabilizer in the Matias kit is a tiny bit short, but I managed to put them on somehow.   

Offline tintoret

« Reply #1445 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 15:41:07 »
Any chance this will get another run?

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #1446 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 19:17:34 »

Yes and no.  I'm trying to see if I can find time to do another Alps Party run.  However, it probably won't be a 60%.  I was thinking about a tenkey and/or a TKL.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #1447 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 22:03:41 »

Yes and no.  I'm trying to see if I can find time to do another Alps Party run.  However, it probably won't be a 60%.  I was thinking about a tenkey and/or a TKL.

Tenkey would be neat, I think, though I wonder how many cases for Alps num pads there are.

Offline nickheller

• Cherry ML life
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • hickneller.com
« Reply #1448 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 22:11:34 »

Tenkey would be neat, I think, though I wonder how many cases for Alps num pads there are.
If you were already having plates made it would not be too hard to just make it a sandwich style case. I am excited either way, I like both alps, and custom boards  :D

Offline StormyMonday

« Reply #1449 on: Sat, 23 April 2016, 22:48:09 »

Interested in an Alps TKL.   :cool:

Would definitely Alps party again!   :thumb: