Author Topic: [IC] GMK Electric (GB LIVE TO 10/6!)  (Read 203861 times)

Offline rafamundez

Re: [IC] GMK Electric (new deskmat design 6/20)
« Reply #300 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 04:33:22 »
With the resurgence of so many dolch themed sets, I am kind of tempted to take GMK Electric in a totally new direction. What do people who are interested in the set think? I would retain the same novelties but go for a different color scheme.

IMO, just run this set that you have put in so much hard work into...

And then work on the next version which will be the new direction? No harm in doing both :)

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #301 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 12:20:01 »
With the resurgence of so many dolch themed sets, I am kind of tempted to take GMK Electric in a totally new direction. What do people who are interested in the set think? I would retain the same novelties but go for a different color scheme.

That would be Electric v2 in case you're wondering  :thumb: . Actually I have a new idea for that 2nd project, you could do a lightning theme? Then the 2nd version of that would be Lightning - The 2nd Strike  :D

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #302 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 14:32:33 »

That would be Electric v2 in case you're wondering  :thumb: . Actually I have a new idea for that 2nd project, you could do a lightning theme? Then the 2nd version of that would be Lightning - The 2nd Strike  :D

You rang?

Offline Vala

• :smork:
    • Vala Supply
« Reply #303 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 18:14:46 »
Alright, I think those who have responded so far are right. I'll keep the set how it is, and perhaps run a redesign in the future.

Offline rafamundez

« Reply #304 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 18:18:54 »
Alright, I think those who have responded so far are right. I'll keep the set how it is, and perhaps run a redesign in the future.

<3

Can't wait for the redesign too! As an EE with a brother who is an EE too, I will be needing 2 sets  ;D

Offline Laneware

• Laneware Peripherals
« Reply #305 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 00:54:49 »
Strong GMK Pulse vibes, although id rather this set, i'm not going to double up on aesthetics. Best of luck with the GB!

Offline jiezhou

• https://jiekb.com
    • JIEZHOU
« Reply #306 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 22:37:39 »
Any update?

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #307 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 22:48:34 »

You rang?

Butt dial, my apologies.....unless.

Offline dryshirt

« Reply #308 on: Fri, 16 October 2020, 23:40:43 »
Clean deskmat tbh, dae browse ICs just for the deskmats lol

Offline Tyson

« Reply #309 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 12:58:27 »
Any update on this set? I pray it will run one day!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #310 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 13:07:39 »
same Mr. Tyson
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #311 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 13:14:51 »
How coincidental that as I'm about to post an update, people want updates!

To lead, I am extremely sorry to all those waiting for GMK Electric for all of the delays. I had promised this set would run in 2020 and that is no longer possible.

If you don't know, I'm trying to start my own mechanical keyboard vendor for the US, and it has been consuming most of my time lately.
Luckily, it has reached a point where I'm confident GMK Electric will be running on my own store  :D

As for updates: the desk mat has been finalized, and a sample is currently in the mail. Here are a couple pictures:

There are clearly some issues, such as the design being cut off at a weird place, and the most faded circuit being barely visible. This is why we get samples!

I'm in the process of updating my renders and applying a few last minute tweaks to the kits. Then, off to GMK it goes for pricing. Expect more updates in the coming weeks.

This set isn't dead! And if you've decided to hop onto one of the many similar looking sets that have ran recently, I don't blame you...
« Last Edit: Mon, 19 October 2020, 13:23:33 by Vala »

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

Re: [IC] GMK Electric (desk mat update 10/19/20)
« Reply #312 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 13:22:56 »
How coincidental that as I'm about to post an update, people want updates!

To lead, I am extremely sorry to all those waiting for GMK Electric for all of the delays. I had promised this set would run in 2020 and that is no longer possible.

If you don't know, I'm trying to start my own mechanical keyboard vendor for the US, and it has been consuming most of my time lately.
Luckily, it has reached a point where I'm confident GMK Electric will be running on my own store  :D

As for updates: the desk mat has been finalized, and a sample is currently in the mail. Here are a couple pictures:

Show Image

Show Image

I'm in the process of updating my renders and applying a few last minute tweaks to the kits. Then, off to GMK it goes for pricing. Expect more updates in the coming weeks.

This set isn't dead! And if you've decided to hop onto one of the many similar looking sets that have ran recently, I don't blame you...
Oh my gosh!
Yes! I’m so happy this is still in the works. I was worried it was gone. Thanks for the update, can’t wait to see what you have in store for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #313 on: Mon, 19 October 2020, 20:03:06 »
The deskmat is looking CLEAN  :thumb: . Glad to see this project still coming.

Offline SortaToast

• New to this, but loving it!
« Reply #314 on: Wed, 21 October 2020, 20:39:08 »
I am still excited for this! Haven't decided what its going on yet though :D
New to this, interests coming soon!

Offline kreuxx

« Reply #315 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 00:22:01 »
That deskmat looks SICK!!

Offline The.Ryan.Gamer

« Reply #316 on: Thu, 22 October 2020, 11:07:51 »
Really interested. I like these colors.

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #317 on: Sun, 25 October 2020, 16:40:30 »
Oh my gosh!
Yes! I’m so happy this is still in the works. I was worried it was gone. Thanks for the update, can’t wait to see what you have in store for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The deskmat is looking CLEAN  :thumb: . Glad to see this project still coming.

I am still excited for this! Haven't decided what its going on yet though :D

That deskmat looks SICK!!

Really interested. I like these colors.

Thank you everybody for the kind words, I'm glad you are excited for the set. Progress is being made!

Offline Vegas_

« Reply #318 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 21:45:35 »
this looks awesome too honestly, big fan of the colors! very different from your other hanami set but still looks amazing, would go great on a dark gray/black keyboard

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #319 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 06:09:33 »
I’ve wanted GMK Electric before I owned my first real set of keycaps or mechanical keyboard lol. Years later. Trades later. Thousands later. I can’t believe it might actually happen. 

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
Re: [IC] GMK Electric (big update 11/17/20)
« Reply #320 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 20:15:45 »
Big update today!

- New kit and board renders (by me)
- Thread formatting update
- USA, EU and CA vendors listed
- New pictures of the deskmat sample
- Base kit is now numpadless and ISO-less
    - Numpad has been moved to the numpad kit, changed numpad style to single legends
    - ISO has been moved to the ISO kit
- Added dark alphas kit
- Split novelties into "Symbol row" and "Novelties"
    - Replaced GND symbol with a NAND symbol (thank you to those that suggested adding this)
    - Fixed novelty enters being 2u instead of 2.25
    - Removed "geekhack" and "/r/mk" from novelties to reduce cost
- Spacebar kit now includes a 3C key, an extra 2C key, and extra Bs. Removed non-accent 6u spacebars.
- Extension now only supports accent (electric blue) enter keys
    - Reason: with the addition of the dark alphas, it would have been prohibitely expensive to include both gray and dark gray variants of all spacebars, so I see no reason in including the non-accent enters either.
- Norde kit has been updated to the latest version of GMK WOB & BOW's NordeUK+ kit
    - Supports British, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Faroese, Danish, Deutsch, and Portuguese layouts. I also included an Ñ key for Spanish layouts :)
    - I ommitted the » « key  as I couldn't find what layout it is a part of, if you know please let me know :)
    - Alt Gr and ISO enter keys are now a part of the ISO kit

Please, if you have the time, go through the new kits and let me know if anything is incorrect/missing. As soon as I am comfortable with the kits it goes off to GMK for pricing!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

Re: [IC] GMK Electric (big update 11/17/20)u
« Reply #321 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 21:31:56 »
If the alice split bars are only in the extension kit (not my fav thing but ok) shouldn’t the b keys be in there instead of the spacebars kit?

Or put a 2.25u/2.75u in both extension and spacebar kit?

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
Re: [IC] GMK Electric (big update 11/17/20)u
« Reply #322 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 21:56:33 »
If the alice split bars are only in the extension kit (not my fav thing but ok) shouldn’t the b keys be in there instead of the spacebars kit?

Do no 40%s use 2.25/2.75u? I would be willing to move those into the spacebar kit if it made sense

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #323 on: Tue, 17 November 2020, 23:09:53 »
Some 40s use split bars, some don’t. Often the split bars in a 40s kit are the alpha color vs those in the spacebar kit are the accent color. I’ll defer to actual 40s users; only know 40s kit preferences because I buy split bars for any set I get.

Offline productkun

« Reply #324 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 04:54:00 »
I like my numpad in the base kit, I don't like TKL only kitting :/

Offline STER187

« Reply #325 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 07:00:51 »
looks very nice.. the deskmat especially  :thumb:

Offline dudewth

« Reply #326 on: Wed, 18 November 2020, 08:12:36 »
Looking forward to this. Good luck with the new store sir.

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #327 on: Thu, 19 November 2020, 23:06:58 »

Some 40s use split bars, some don’t. Often the split bars in a 40s kit are the alpha color vs those in the spacebar kit are the accent color. I’ll defer to actual 40s users; only know 40s kit preferences because I buy split bars for any set I get.

I will just include an extra 2.75 and 2.25 in the spacebars kit. I don't think it will increase price by too much so it should be worth it to maximize capability.

looks very nice.. the deskmat especially  :thumb:

Looking forward to this. Good luck with the new store sir.

Thank you!

I like my numpad in the base kit, I don't like TKL only kitting :/

I understand why some feel this way as it does slightly increase the cost for numpad users. But the increased affordability when this style fits a majority of people's needs makes more sense to me.

Offline andtar2

« Reply #328 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 04:23:17 »

- Norde kit has been updated to the latest version of GMK WOB & BOW's NordeUK+ kit
    - Supports British, Icelandic, Norwegian, Swedish, Finnish, Faroese, Danish, Deutsch, and Portuguese layouts. I also included an Ñ key for Spanish layouts :)
    - I ommitted the » « key  as I couldn't find what layout it is a part of, if you know please let me know :)

R1 "» «"-key is used in Portuguese keyboard layout.

Offline andtar2

« Reply #329 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 04:37:53 »

- Base kit is now numpadless and ISO-less
- ISO has been moved to the ISO kit
- Norde kit has been updated ...
- Alt Gr and ISO enter keys are now a part of the ISO kit

I think these changes will make it very expensive for international layouts (non UK) to just get the base language support (as you will have to buy two separate kits).

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #330 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 15:37:08 »
I don't like the new kitting.  If you want to break everything up into this many kits, then you're better off using a different manufacturer that doesn't charge so much extra to split things up.  This sort of kitting would be a better fit for a Keyreative set.

Offline shyBravado

• happycorn
« Reply #331 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 16:32:19 »
Oh my GOD this is actually making progress? I just logged in for the first time in a few years!
I am so, so in for the novelties omfg

EDIT: novelties and symbol row now

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #332 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 18:18:29 »

Thank you, I will add this key back then.

I don't like the new kitting.  If you want to break everything up into this many kits, then you're better off using a different manufacturer that doesn't charge so much extra to split things up.  This sort of kitting would be a better fit for a Keyreative set.

I understand these concerns. It may be worth it to move base ISO support back into the base kit. I am going to get pricing for ISO in the base and out of the base to inform my final decision.

However, the numpad will still be left out of the base. If we can lower the price of the base enough to reach a $100 or $110 price point, then the extra $30 or so for a numpad kit would equate or be slightly higher than normal GMK pricing. Considering a majority of people only need TKL kitting, I think this makes more sense.

As for splitting novelties into two kits, I think neither will have trouble reaching a sufficient MoQ, so it shouldn't be too large of a difference.

Dark alphas are there to differentiate the set from so many other Dolch derivatives releasing in the past year, so I think adding this kit won't be an issue in regards to pricing either.

Having 10 kits with GMK can definitely be a bad idea if the set underperforms, but I have high hopes for Electric  :D I'm open to creative suggestions of course.

Oh my GOD this is actually making progress? I just logged in for the first time in a few years!
I am so, so in for the novelties omfg

EDIT: novelties and symbol row now

I'm glad you're excited for the set to come into reality :D

Offline Techichi

« Reply #333 on: Sat, 21 November 2020, 18:36:02 »
Probably to late for this but I'd love to see the deskmats in some different colors, monochrome, etc. I'll probably be in for that deskmat either way.

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #334 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 03:37:01 »
Probably to late for this but I'd love to see the deskmats in some different colors, monochrome, etc. I'll probably be in for that deskmat either way.

There will be different colors! I am simply trying to get the original design perfect before making the others so I have less adjustments to make :)

Offline Techichi

« Reply #335 on: Sun, 22 November 2020, 06:51:54 »

There will be different colors! I am simply trying to get the original design perfect before making the others so I have less adjustments to make :)

Excellent. Can't wait to see them!

Offline sevenseacat

« Reply #336 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 06:58:39 »
I just noticed there's a Colevrak kit - I'm back in babyyyyyyyyy <3 <3 <3 <3

Offline GSPADE

• THOK® thok.design
    • THOK®
« Reply #337 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 07:59:23 »
Electrifying, I like these

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #338 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 10:17:40 »
I just noticed there's a Colevrak kit - I'm back in babyyyyyyyyy <3 <3 <3 <3

Of course! I didn't want to remove any compatibility with the new kitting, so Colevrak and Norde are in for good.

Electrifying, I like these

Thank you :D

Offline Prelim

« Reply #339 on: Sat, 28 November 2020, 15:52:31 »

» « is from Portuguese layout, please include it as well!

I'm /in for this, but I also agree on the "icon mods" like many people said. If you end up not changing it to icon mods, at least complete the ISO addon with the icon mods instead (4 more caps only) :thumb:
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 November 2020, 05:13:06 by Prelim »
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #340 on: Sun, 29 November 2020, 05:37:01 »
I personally think it's a bit presumptuous to go with the base with no numpad route. It's expected to be okay when the base kit is expected to sell north of 1000 kits, but I have a bit of skepticism for this case.

More importantly, if this set changes to icon only mods, I'm out.

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #341 on: Tue, 01 December 2020, 02:03:15 »

» « is from Portuguese layout, please include it as well!

I'm /in for this, but I also agree on the "icon mods" like many people said. If you end up not changing it to icon mods, at least complete the ISO addon with the icon mods instead (4 more caps only) :thumb:

I will add the Portuguese key, don't worry c:

I personally think it's a bit presumptuous to go with the base with no numpad route. It's expected to be okay when the base kit is expected to sell north of 1000 kits, but I have a bit of skepticism for this case.

I'm honestly quite hopeful for 4 digit kit numbers. Soon there will be pretty 3D renders and a full pricing + vendors list, meaning the set can begin proper hyping. Considering how long Electric has been in IC, I think it will pick up good traction.

And, I will not be changing the set to icon only mods. It is staying as text. Perhaps i'll consider icon mods for a future run.

Offline merriaki

« Reply #342 on: Fri, 04 December 2020, 00:26:03 »
Curious, is there a reason why the symbol keys and novelties are in two separate kits vs being combined into a single kit?

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #343 on: Sun, 06 December 2020, 16:25:22 »
Curious, is there a reason why the symbol keys and novelties are in two separate kits vs being combined into a single kit?

Mostly to lower the cost of the novelties kit, as it was probably going to be $70+ with the symbols included. Since not everybody wants the symbol row, I thought it would be a good idea to split them up. This also allows me to include more in the novelties kit without fear of making the price too high.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #344 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 06:13:49 »

It’s not presumptuous to assume that you know so much that his keyset won’t sell over 1000 sets? You’re comment honestly sounds much more presumptuous than the notion of a separate numpad kit..... or that he should listen to your threat to not buy if icon mods lol. Just saying. (I assume most keysets with 7 pages of discussion and that’s maintained people’s interest for about three years lol would sell decent. Especially since big sets are now almost hitting 10,000+)

Offline Prelim

« Reply #345 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 10:16:06 »
I will not be changing the set to icon only mods. It is staying as text. Perhaps i'll consider icon mods for a future run.

Can you please include the icon mods on the ISO addon instead? (ISO layouts use icon mods and it's only 4 caps more into the addon - tab, capslock, shift, backspace)
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline Ripcord

« Reply #346 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 10:23:16 »
Love this set! I keep up the great work all.... So many great set coming out right now hard to pick them all

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #347 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 10:52:22 »
I believe the 1.75u Backspace legend should have a Arrow on it as it fits, basically the same legend as a 2u.

Offline Vala

• Vala Supply
« Reply #348 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 15:52:10 »
I will not be changing the set to icon only mods. It is staying as text. Perhaps i'll consider icon mods for a future run.

Can you please include the icon mods on the ISO addon instead? (ISO layouts use icon mods and it's only 4 caps more into the addon - tab, capslock, shift, backspace)

Sorry but no, that would also require icon only ISO enters which I don't have already. The entire set is staying text for the first run at least.

I believe the 1.75u Backspace legend should have a Arrow on it as it fits, basically the same legend as a 2u.

Thanks Oblotzky, this will be fixed with the next update coming later today.

Love this set! I keep up the great work all.... So many great set coming out right now hard to pick them all

Thank you  :D

It’s not presumptuous to assume that you know so much that his keyset won’t sell over 1000 sets? You’re comment honestly sounds much more presumptuous than the notion of a separate numpad kit..... or that he should listen to your threat to not buy if icon mods lol. Just saying. (I assume most keysets with 7 pages of discussion and that’s maintained people’s interest for about three years lol would sell decent. Especially since big sets are now almost hitting 10,000+)

I hope we can hit 4 digit numbers, that would be great. But since i'm going to be running it on my new U.S store it has a little less exposure than it might with a bigger vendor. We'll see but I'm hopeful :)

In other news, I got the new deskmat sample and it looks absolutely amazing in comparison to the first.  Here's a pic:

Offline Prelim

« Reply #349 on: Wed, 30 December 2020, 16:28:45 »

Sorry but no, that would also require icon only ISO enters which I don't have already. The entire set is staying text for the first run at least.

ISO Enter isn't included in the base kit (only in the ISO addon) so it only needs to be switched for icon version. But then, it's all call. I just think ISO users are the ones who beg more for icon mods and this isn't even impacting the base kit and overall ANSI users.