Author Topic: Ever had a hard time adjusting to new keycaps?  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
Ever had a hard time adjusting to new keycaps?
« on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 10:21:57 »
Just put new keycaps on my keyboard at work, and they are a slightly lower profile and have quite a different feel to them then the ones that were on there (unusually high profile ABS to thick PBT).

Now, normally, I can type on anything, and subtle changes do not matter much. But the keyboard I have at work has been used intensively for a long time and has not changed since I purchased it. I feel like my muscle memory is sort of thrown out of whack. I bottom out more and have more accidental keypresses compared to the way it was. Is it all just in my head? It is odd in a sense, because the new keycaps seem more similar to the ones I haev at home. Either way I expect to get used to it within this week.

Anyone experienced something similar?
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 March 2013, 10:34:30 by Grim Fandango »
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline aggiejy

• ** Moderator Emeritus
Re: Ever had a hard time adjusting to new keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 10:39:43 »
Yep, the longer you spend on a setup without changing, the harder it is to adjust.  On the other hand, for the past year I've been routinely rotating between different keyboards and profiles and now I feel like my fingers know what's up.  And strangely, I don't think I type any slower than when I used to stick with the same setup. :)

Regardless, it's amazing what a little time will do.  You can get used to typing on skittles if you had to.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 11:03:48 »
I once tried to cushion my keycaps with dead earwigs and duckling bones after getting a set of caps made from compressed long-grain rice grain mixed with ape feces. I will tell you, it certainly takes some getting used to.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 11:47:22 »
Am I the only one who is practically in tears when I have to do any significant amount of work on my laptop?

Besides feeling terrible, I have trouble finding quite a few of the keys.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline funkymeeba

• CRUMPULAR
  • WEST SHINJUKU PLANTING TUNE
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 13:16:02 »
Am I the only one who is practically in tears when I have to do any significant amount of work on my laptop?

I am in that same boat. Maybe I should get another keyboard.
17:15 < vun> these are the healthiest crisps I've ever come across
17:16 < vun> mostly because I can't get the bag open

meebcats - my bad music

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 13:18:25 »
Not really, if I like a new set, it says. If I don't, they come off and I sell them
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 07 March 2013, 13:44:33 »

Oh same here. My girlfriend has this 11 inch laptop with an awkward cramped keyboard layout and a horrible keyboard with weird keys without travel. If I had to use it for anything more than 30 minutes, I would probably just hook up a keyboard.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0