Author Topic: Yet another "my ideal keyboard" build (but 104 now)  (Read 1989 times)

Offline cest73

Yet another "my ideal keyboard" build (but 104 now)
« on: Fri, 01 January 2021, 03:34:56 »
Hello, i'm new here so be nice for the while, please? ;D

So first things first: why (what i try to address):
1. the ever increasing need for more mouse space on the (apparently) ever shrinking desktop

How (design goals and approach):
A. I absolutely can't have a dangling ten-key block or use layers for non alpha-numeric keys - i need them all, but not more than the usual 104 keys
B. I absolutely need the extra real estate right to the alphanumeric key block to swing the mouse back and forth (call me a gamer if you want)

So what do we do?

I. I opted for the dreaded 84 key layout as the basis (think "Keycool 84") for it is in my IMHO a solid compromise for right most alpha numeric block while still keeping the arrow keys where the brain is seeking for them...
II. I took the "good" from the 1800 layout and spaced the arrow keys out some 1/4 key space and the nav-block some more 1/4 to the right to get the gap for digital (as in digitus noun - the finger sense) navigation...
III. i swapped the ten-key block to the left side of the keyboard, took one row of the nav-block with it and the spare place went for the fn key - so i can keep the row0 for as common layout as possible having bitten off that 2 key lengths with the arrow keys (I am not a total monster, or am I?)...

now we need pictures next...

http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com#/gists/dacff84e855a5fabb68e650bf4bb2e81
258875-0

Offline cest73

Re: Yet another "my ideal keyboard" build (but 104 now)
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 03:14:18 »
I'm struggling thru the PCB design as we speak and have decided about few more goals and rules:

IV. the backlight will be single channel - one LED per switch all lit up at once
V. the LEDS will be orientated "NORTH" so they are less intrusive to the user
VI. The CAPS/SCROLL/NUMLOCK LEDs will be bigger and SOUTH of the "offending" switch to make use of an potential key cap "window" or just lit up from beneath in different color than the backlight LEDs)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 04:17:28 »
IV. the backlight will be single channel - one LED per switch all lit up at once
Are you backlighting because you're getting translucent keycaps or else? Because if not, you could opt for RGB LEDs facing down and have a diffuse light around your case.

VI. The CAPS/SCROLL/NUMLOCK LEDs will be bigger and SOUTH of the "offending" switch to make use of an potential key cap "window" or just lit up from beneath in different color than the backlight LEDs)
Why not indicators in dedicated spots? You have plenty of room between the F-row and first row or between numpad and alphas columns.

This should belong to the Making stuff together subforum though.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline cest73

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 05:24:48 »
Are you backlighting because you're getting translucent keycaps or else? Because if not, you could opt for RGB LEDs facing down and have a diffuse light around your case.

Yes, I plan to have backlighting as an option. I only have ever considered LEDs because of the pragmatical use in the dark
However the Matias switches are quite flat at the bottom so I am getting at this quite carefully - perhaps a revision might be due after I build the first prototype. Being what it is (ALPS clone switch) i might resort to have thru hole pads with an actual hole in between for an inverted SMD LED (hand placed later on of course).

Why not indicators in dedicated spots? You have plenty of room between the F-row and first row or between numpad and alphas columns.
I really like the way Matias keyboards do it, but i might as well put traces to an alternate - more conventional place as well, good point
This should belong to the Making stuff together subforum though.
I planned to split the design here and actual build process over there - once i figure out the goals and options here first.

For instance I am quite convinced i will stick to single channel lightning now, once i found out that the TKC-1800 didn't bother to make a per switch LED matrix either.

I am at about third reiteration on the KiCAD PCB layout already and i thought it would be bad to move goals this violently in the public from the get go?

Once I have the layout I am confident with I wil most certainly commit to more public interaction and will open the topic there as well.

Right now I would appreciate any feedback, concerns and caveats regarding the general design and options at hand, please feel free to chime in - i only will bite few of you  ;D

(just kidding)

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 06:21:46 »
Right now I would appreciate any feedback, concerns and caveats regarding the general design and options at hand
There's not much to say from the layout alone. You should post pictures of the current PCB layout to get more and better feedback.

Offline cest73

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 12:21:18 »
Here, finally something i can start with
258955-0
258957-1
this is my first KiCAD render - no idea how it will turn out  :-[

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 12:26:40 »
That's a big IC. Is it the AT90USB1286?

Offline cest73

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 12:40:41 »
Yes it is

here the building thread