geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

The problem with resellers

<< < (4/4)

Indigu:

--- Quote from: Olumin on Mon, 10 May 2021, 16:10:47 ---The scalpers aren’t the problem, they’re only doing it cause it’s a viable business model. The problem are the idiots that, like impatient children the night before Christmas eve, can’t wait a few weeks or months and actually buy from them.

Scalpers hate this one simple trick: You don’t NEED that PS5 RIGHT NOW.

--- End quote ---

I don't think that this is remotely possible to avoid, scalpers' business models rely on the idea of supply and demand, that's why they work so well; they're obviously the main cause of the issue and there's absolutely no logical way we can just tell people "don't buy ps5 lul xd", so the scalpers themselves have to be stopped.

Gondolindrim:
I think that bringing lawmakers into this is just inviting more trouble. Look at how crypto is doing; some countries (like Brazil) are starting to revenue tax crypto but of course no one declares having them because at the end of the day the government cannot possibly know. So there already are talks of ramping up normal revenue tax so that people that have cryptocurrencies pay taxes "forcibly", effectively making everyone pay more taxes.

Truth of the matter is, bureaucrats will take time to understand the complexities of supply-constrained markets and use the opportunity to get money. That's my take.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version