Author Topic: [IC] DSS Lightcycle - Now with Pricing!  (Read 23741 times)

Offline alas

[IC] DSS Lightcycle - Now with Pricing!
« on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 13:56:08 »

DSS Lightcycle
Adapted from the original DSA set by evangs with permission.

Please fill out the IC form and join the Discord to show your interest!
        IC Form →
        Discord→

Group Buy post is up now! Click here!

Group Buy Date: Sept 21 - Oct 21, 2021

Current Kits

Grey Alphas - the base of a classic Lightcycle color kit.

Dark Alphas - for those who want a more understated colorway.

60%/TKL Mods - for the most common board sizes, from 60% to TKL

Numpad - for people who need super speedy data entry.

40%/Ortho Mods - for boards smaller than 60%.

Ergo Mods - it's for ergodoxian boards. Alice isn't ergo.

Colevrak Alphas - for those people big brain enough to use Colemak and Dvorak.

ISO - basic ISO compat.

Icon Novelties - Same as original DSA Lightcycle novelties!

Text Novelties - now in a separate kit to lower base costs

Blue Bars - for those who want an extra flair.

Grey Bars - additional compatibility for those using grey alphas.

Black Bars - additional compatibility for those using black alphas.

Renders
Rendered by Nasp.

U80 by Rama
More

V4N4G0N by trash man
More

Ikki68 Aurora by Wuque Studio
More

Deskmats

Data Disc

Lightcycle

Colors
AlphasSP GY
Alpha LegendsSP BFQ
ModsSP GX
AccentSP BFQ
Accent LegendsSP GX

About DSS Profile
Click MORE for more information
More
DSS was created by Signature Plastics in the 80s to meet the requirements of the (then) new DIN standard for keyboards. It has a spherical top and is lower profile than their SA profile. The top surface resembles DSA.

DSS Lightcycle uses a 1-1-2-3-4-3 sculpt.

To compare DSS to keycap profiles you know, check out Keycaps.info

Further Reading:
SP’s DSS Spec Sheet
SP’s History of Keycap Families

Note: As SP does not offer spacebars smaller than 6u in the DSS profile, DSA blanks are offered as an alternative in the base, 40s, and spacebar kits.

Vendors

United States: MKUltra and Protozoa Studio
Canada: Ashkeebs →
Europe: MyKeyboard →
United Kingdom: Protozoa Studios →
Southeast Asia: Zion Studios →
Australia: Daily Clack →
India: rectangles.store →

Pricing
Pricing for international vendors finalized on GB date to be as close to USD values as possible.
More
  • Grey Alphas: $40
  • Dark Alphas: $40
  • 60%/TKL Mods: $70
  • Numpad: $30
  • 40s/Ortho Mods: $65
  • Ergo Mods: $70
  • Colevrak Alphas: $70
  • ISO: $35
  • Icon Novelties: $30
  • Text Novelties: $30
  • Blue Bars: $30
  • Grey Bars: $25
  • Black Bars: $25
  • Lightcycle Deskmat: $20
  • Data Disk Deskmat: $20

Thanks to
Evan for coming up with this colorway and allowing me to run it.
SlipperyPeteED, Acitrin, DrHigsby, and others for helping with kitting.
My partners in Coffee Break Keyboards for supporting me along the way.

Enter the following in your Geekhack signature to support DSS Lightcycle:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=113200.0][img width=400 height=100]https://i.imgur.com/Nfhz0ai.jpg[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 September 2021, 11:30:03 by alas »

Offline fcoury

Re: [IC] DSS Lightcycle
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 13:57:06 »
Love it. It was a dream set for me back when I started using the Minivan. Even better in DSS profile <3

Offline acitrin

• https://acitrin.design/
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 13:57:27 »
Finally! So happy to have this project in motion, Alas!

Offline alas

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 13:58:44 »
Can't even get first reply on my own IC! Third, I guess. Reserved.  :D

Offline Father

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:00:08 »
Sex sex sex

« Last Edit: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:07:26 by Father »

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:03:44 »
hello

minivan?

yes

nice

reserved

(lit)

Offline dingusxmcgee

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:04:58 »
i filled

Offline yqqdrasil

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:06:20 »
Yes please

Offline Macmutant

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:12:40 »
I'm all over this. Let's go!

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:13:24 »
Quite nice if ya got a sexy 40%

Offline Morthekaiser

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:15:18 »
I thought the organization of the kits was bad, taking more kits than I want is not far-fetched for me. Have you thought about organizing it in another way?

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:27:09 »
I'm curious what pricing will look like for this kitting but it may be better to have at least tkl support added to base for the sake of MOQ. Also could we get Alice B's added to base and dark alphas? Also the base kit has two mod pipe keys.

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:28:02 »
Thank you for bringing this back, I need this in my life. This would be a perfect match for my Jake/P3D acrylic V4N.

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:52:20 »
Board renders include a alpha colored pipe but I do not see one in the kitting? Also looks like there are two mod tilde but no alpha tilde?  Also would it be possible to include 1u backspace in the base kit instead of just in 40s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline alas

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:58:48 »
Board renders include a alpha colored pipe but I do not see one in the kitting? Also looks like there are two mod tilde but no alpha tilde?  Also would it be possible to include 1u backspace in the base kit instead of just in 40s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, yeah, that's a problem with the kit render. One each of the mod colored pipes and tildes are supposed to be alpha colored.

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 14:59:18 »
From a strictly 40s perspective: I wish there was black bars in the alt alpha kit (maybe 6.25, 2.25 and 2.75). That way I could just get that plus 40s and not end up with grey accent bars, which would feel out of place imo.

Offline alas

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 15:12:16 »
From a strictly 40s perspective: I wish there was black bars in the alt alpha kit (maybe 6.25, 2.25 and 2.75). That way I could just get that plus 40s and not end up with grey accent bars, which would feel out of place imo.

Already on top of it! There have been some kitting revisions and the base kit render is actually in error, check the Discord (https://discord.gg/6MZjFcadH7) to see the latest KLE before I update renders :)

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 16:18:06 »
For ISO support are you able to add a Cyan ISO enter? It was in the DSA version originally.

Also for the ISO kit, can we have the cyan on black alphas (2,3, ', # `) to match the dark alphas kit?

Offline alas

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 17:32:11 »
For ISO support are you able to add a Cyan ISO enter? It was in the DSA version originally.

Also for the ISO kit, can we have the cyan on black alphas (2,3, ', # `) to match the dark alphas kit?
+1 to the things that are inaccurate in the render that are in the kit... Sorry that I botched this one so bad, I'll have updated renders up in less than a week, hopefully.

Offline iinko_mk

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 17:55:42 »
pls consider tkl base, that would be a dream.
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=110839.0][img width=300 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/GKL0Jxi.png[/img][/url]

Offline LaserCrafter

• reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 04 June 2021, 22:27:58 »
wtf that's so hot
Keyboard Collection: Unikorn, Orion v2.5, Orion v3, Realforce 87u, Viper v3, NMB RT8756CGR, Unicorn x Legend, Das II, TC-V3, Jetfire, Wang 325-3770, Lightpad v2

Keyset Collection: OG Doubleshots, CRP 2551 R4, Muted 2, Cyan R1, WoB, DCS Wyse, ISO OG POM, ePBT Blanks, BSP Blanks, BoW + Gigachild

Offline ocm

• Formerly OneCreativeMind
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 06:30:20 »
Alas makes, I buy. It's just that simple.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 07:56:08 »
This reminds me so much of the original Round 5 group buy back in the day.  Love this and might buy.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline azzipa

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 13:31:20 »
count me in with a :thumbsup: for 60/65 kitting (although 65's might want R1 'home' key). your kits are fresh, so it will be interesting to read other comments. seems to make a lot of sense to move keys out of base, at least for non-gmk kits. also, looking like it may be tough to pick only one dss set this year. glwic  :thumb:

edit: also looks like an R1 pipe (alpha color) is needed for split backspace
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 June 2021, 18:33:15 by azzipa »

Offline HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 14:46:59 »
Man oh Man - what a cool looking set!

Offline VoodooBear

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 05 June 2021, 23:12:21 »
2nd B on base would be nice but at min. on the space or 40's kits. I didn't see it anywhere.

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 02:44:05 »
looks nice, would love regular kitting for this.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 10:29:54 »
Can you update the kits with the row numbers? In the 40s/ortho kit, I’d usually ask for a 1u R3 with something other than TAB and ESC because some folks don’t use either of those there (they use backspace/del or CTRL). But I usually don’t ask if there’s a 1u R3 novelty, and I can’t tell if there is from the novelty kit since rows aren’t specified. Thanks!
Ortho. Always.

Offline alas

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 16:18:02 »
Can you update the kits with the row numbers? In the 40s/ortho kit, I’d usually ask for a 1u R3 with something other than TAB and ESC because some folks don’t use either of those there (they use backspace/del or CTRL). But I usually don’t ask if there’s a 1u R3 novelty, and I can’t tell if there is from the novelty kit since rows aren’t specified. Thanks!

On it! They'll be in the upcoming updated renders :)
There are multiple R3 novelties, all the ones on the bottom are R3.

Offline alas

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 16:18:47 »
2nd B on base would be nice but at min. on the space or 40's kits. I didn't see it anywhere.

Sorry. This is meant to be in the renders but they were not updated to the latest kitting like I thought. The latest KLE will always be in the Discord channel linked in the post. Updated renders coming soon.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 06 June 2021, 17:24:10 »
count me in with a :thumbsup: for 60/65 kitting (although 65's might want R1 'home' key). your kits are fresh, so it will be interesting to read other comments. seems to make a lot of sense to move keys out of base, at least for non-gmk kits. also, looking like it may be tough to pick only one dss set this year. glwic  :thumb:

quoting myself after looking at latest kle but didn't see this addressed with today's updates: i see pipe in base is now alpha color however if 'delete' key is used for split bs then a 65 board would have no logical 1u key for top right (e.g., 'home' key) and would have to pick up the large board kit just to get one key.

Offline alas

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 08:13:23 »

quoting myself after looking at latest kle but didn't see this addressed with today's updates: i see pipe in base is now alpha color however if 'delete' key is used for split bs then a 65 board would have no logical 1u key for top right (e.g., 'home' key) and would have to pick up the large board kit just to get one key.

Oops, my bad. I meant to put it in. It's there now and is being added to the updated renders!

Offline azzipa

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 13:38:04 »

Oops, my bad. I meant to put it in. It's there now and is being added to the updated renders!

sweet! and thank you!  :thumb:

edit: great colorway and i can't believe original dsa/alps set from 4 years ago was $160  :eek:
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2021, 16:08:22 by azzipa »

Offline Ram

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 19:43:12 »

Ignore

Looks really similar to GMK Electric it should be going into gb soon despite nearly 4 years in IC, but different profile and different tones of the colors may be enough to differentiate the 2, alsoSA Geoma is even more similar as well, I'd be very cautious in this position
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2021, 19:57:39 by Ram »

Offline azzipa

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 19:50:25 »
Looks really similar to GMK Electric it should be going into gb soon despite nearly 4 years in IC, but different profile and different tones of the colors may be enough to differentiate the 2, alsoSA Geoma is even more similar as well, I'd be very cautious in this position

so those sets were pre-2017? that’s when lightcycle first ran. and they’re running in dss? i didn’t look at electric so it might pre-date. even then, nothing to be cautious about because this is a pre-existing set.  :cool:
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 June 2021, 19:58:11 by azzipa »

Offline Ram

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 19:57:14 »

so those sets were pre-2017? that’s when lightcycle first ran. and they’re running in dsa? i didn’t look at electric so it might pre-date. even then, nothing to be cautious about because this is a pre-existing set.  :cool:

ah my bad then, thought it was a new colorway, ignore me lol

Offline rpiguy9907

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 07 June 2021, 22:06:20 »
Why text mods and not Trashman mods? Just to be a better homage to the original DSA sets?

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #37 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 00:32:19 »
Classic. Glad to see its back

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 08 June 2021, 07:30:22 »
Why text mods and not Trashman mods? Just to be a better homage to the original DSA sets?

I agree with this... it would be great to get Trashman mods for this.  I even think the look of those mods fits the theme as well.  I hope you can look into this!

Offline alas

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 12:53:44 »
Yup! I'd considered a trashcon kit, but I don't think it would hit MOQ frankly.

Offline SafeAtShore

« Reply #40 on: Mon, 14 June 2021, 23:36:17 »
Always nice to have sets return.

Would it be possible to add 2u shift and R1 pg dn/end/delete to the big boards kit?

Offline MKUltraCorp

• MKUltra Corporation
Re: [IC] DSS Lightcycle - Now with Pricing!
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 13:55:14 »
You should put the 2nd "B" in the Ergo kit, since people like to say Alice is Ergo.

p.s. - Alice Isn't Ergo

Offline alas

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 13:58:37 »
You should put the 2nd "B" in the Ergo kit, since people like to say Alice is Ergo.

p.s. - Alice Isn't Ergo

True, but it's more efficient to put it in base because the rest of the support is already there.
Can always label the Ergo kit "WILL NOT SUPPORT ALICE, ALICE IS NOT ERGO". That should do it.

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 28 July 2021, 22:41:22 »
What MOQs?

Offline bas72

« Reply #44 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 02:19:13 »
Nice and clean. We likes it, we likes it a lot.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 29 July 2021, 14:29:13 »

p.s. - Alice Isn't Ergo

True, but it's more efficient to put it in base because the rest of the support is already there.
Can always label the Ergo kit "WILL NOT SUPPORT ALICE, ALICE IS NOT ERGO". That should do it.
Guess I’ll just throw the extra B into the pile I already have. I know someone did GMK B at one point, but I can probably fill a board with what I have.
Ortho. Always.

Offline MuffinCat

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 11:25:53 »
Filled out the form. Why not two base sets? I really don't want to buy base + dark alphas just to have a dark set with left over grey alphas.

I know you can't satisfy everyone and every decision has pros and cons. That said, I would like to see either 2 base sets or splitting into mods + light alphas + dark alphas.

And also adding a blue space bar into the base (or mods). It's just one extra key and nice being able to have the accent colour space bar without buying out a space bar kit.

Offline k3wlbuddy

• Who needs savings when you can spend them on keebs
« Reply #47 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 14:37:26 »
Hot damn! Love this set. You made me actually create an account here and fill up the IC form. GLWIC
Who needs savings when you can spend them on keebs

Offline k3wlbuddy

• Who needs savings when you can spend them on keebs
« Reply #48 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 14:41:06 »
Please consider iLumkb as a proxy for SEA!
Thanks
Who needs savings when you can spend them on keebs

Offline gooddayz

« Reply #49 on: Fri, 30 July 2021, 17:04:15 »
Looks great!