Author Topic: [IC] MW Classified  (Read 8462 times)

Offline MILKYWAY KEYS

• PBT keycap manufacturer
    • MilkywayKeys
[IC] MW Classified
« on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:10:09 »

MW Classified

About

This idea started rather simple. Designers at our office were talking about if we can have unique designs that are only applicable through dye-sub.
We were thinking maybe we can print specific patterns on the keycaps to imitate unique textures on the keycaps.
So we want to experiment with vintage paper defects first! What theme works great with vintage paper? Classified document!

IC Form
Your opinion matters! Please help to fill out this IC form and we together will make this set better. =)

Please join Milkyway Discord for updates!

Kits
Click for larger image

Base Kit

Novelties

We have added vintage defects added to the background the novelties!

Altered Mods

Mods with vintage defects in the background, whether we make this kit depends on interest on the IC form

Spacebars

Renders
Click for larger image

Fuji75 by CMM

Maja by Vulcan

U80 by RAMA

Deskmats

Coming Soon!

Collabs

Coming Soon!

Vendors

AU: Pending
Canada: KanataKeys
China: Milkyway Keys
EU: Pending
UK: Pending
US: Pending
SA: Pending
SEA: Pending

GB Date

Jan 2022
This might be subject to change due to our production queue

To Do List

Deskmats
Vendors
Collabs
Samples
Pricing

Signature banner if you want to show your support:
Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112906.0][img width=240 height=120]https://i.imgur.com/OVJjKXe.jpg[/img][/url]

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 September 2021, 02:05:50 by MILKYWAY KEYS »

Offline MILKYWAY KEYS

• MilkywayKeys
Re: [IC] MW Classified
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:10:32 »
Reserved

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:22:13 »
Why Chinese characters? China was not even involved in WW2 as far as I know. Also, really missed opportunity for some nice Axis and Allied novelties.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:29:22 »
Why Chinese characters? China was not even involved in WW2 as far as I know. Also, really missed opportunity for some nice Axis and Allied novelties.

I think China being attacked (viciously) by Japan in WW2 counts as "involvement".

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:29:35 »
MW samples are checking out, but I'd like to see a MW GB delivered to customers before joining in myself.

Don't get me wrong you guys seem like good folks, but being able to make samples is one thing, and being able to mass produce and distribute is another.

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:34:05 »

I think China being attacked (viciously) by Japan in WW2 counts as "involvement".
Nope, that is the Second Sino-Japanese war, and as the name states, a conflict between 2 countries, not the whole world.

« Last Edit: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:38:03 by Alejo1707 »

Offline MILKYWAY KEYS

• MilkywayKeys
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:41:19 »

Hi, these are Kanji in general. They are also used in various forms of Asian media/pop culture and we ultimately think they look kinda cool on 1U novelties

We had some Axis/Allied novelties, but we feel like it is going to stir some controversies.  :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 September 2021, 10:29:52 by MILKYWAY KEYS »

Offline Fraaaan

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:42:02 »
Consider icon + text mods, I think they would look nicer with the busy alphas.

Also what's the r4 Delete for?

Offline MILKYWAY KEYS

• MilkywayKeys
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:44:38 »

Also what's the r4 Delete for?

A really popular 64% layout in China.

We will take a look at the icon mods option!

Offline hali

• hali.studio
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:44:46 »
am i allowed to be looking at this ic?  :-X

+1

Offline MILKYWAY KEYS

• MilkywayKeys
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 08:46:52 »
MW samples are checking out, but I'd like to see a MW GB delivered to customers before joining in myself.

Don't get me wrong you guys seem like good folks, but being able to make samples is one thing, and being able to mass produce and distribute is another.

Hey Bob, we will be running GB PBT 02/PBT 015 soon and deliver them long before this GB.

Also, we are shipping several in-stocks through vendors already. :D

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 09:18:50 »

Hi, these are Hanji in general. They are also used in various forms of Asian media/pop culture and we ultimately think they look kinda cool on 1U novelties

We had some Axis/Allied novelties, but we feel like it is going to stir some controversies.  :(
Personally I don't find them enticing at all, and I love Mandarin and traditional Chinese. For the Chinese population it would make more sense of course, not so sure about the rest of us.

I understand how that would be controversial, but I think you should be fine, for in art's sake many game developers have portrayed those same symbols as well without repercussions.

Offline Bub

• big bub's beepers
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 09:34:07 »

Hey Bob, we will be running GB PBT 02/PBT 015 soon and deliver them long before this GB.

Also, we are shipping several in-stocks through vendors already. :D

Thanks for the reply! I will keep an eye out then.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 09:38:06 »
The altered mods defects seem to have the same pattern in every keycap, that should be changed.

Offline MILKYWAY KEYS

• MilkywayKeys
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 09:50:54 »
The altered mods defects seem to have the same pattern in every keycap, that should be changed.

Yeah, it was a quick sketch up, will trying to make randomized defects if we decide to make these.

Offline nvh2092

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 10:16:12 »
I would like to have that "Top secret" novelty on iso enters as well, speaking from an iso user. The rest of the kit seems nice.

Offline Jr.Mars

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 10:30:13 »
Finally it comes.
Really love the idea of this set.

Offline andromache

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 10:39:20 »
Super creatively designed set!!

Offline Ella

• Why is it called an oven
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 11:53:27 »

seconded. i would like to see at least one western group buy deliver

Offline thesky

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 14:03:25 »
Those Morse Code sublegends are a neat idea!

I think maybe you could replace the Kanji novelties with an FOUO (For Official Use Only) sticker design, which would have a broader appeal and fit the theme really well.

Offline Faceman76

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 14:14:39 »
Fine, I guess I need another keyboard set to arrive next year.  ;D
TKC 1800, Crystal Box Navy, Sprit 100g

Offline MILKYWAY KEYS

• MilkywayKeys
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 15:39:14 »
Those Morse Code sublegends are a neat idea!

I think maybe you could replace the Kanji novelties with an FOUO (For Official Use Only) sticker design, which would have a broader appeal and fit the theme really well.

Good idea, we will take this into consideration.

Offline haystack

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 16:22:45 »
Also, really missed opportunity for some nice Axis and Allied novelties.

Flashback to GMK High Castle: https://web.archive.org/web/20190926202808/https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102634.0.

Offline salgiza

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 16:56:38 »
I love the general look of the set and the Alphas with the morse code symbols are a great touch (And I actually think that the Chinese symbols look cool and fit the theme!)

Any chances of kits for European users? E.g. an “International” kit such as this or “South/North” kits like in this GB? I haven’t seen any MW sets with support for EU layouts and I don’t know whether that’s intentional or it’s just that nobody had asked yet…

Offline Alejo1707

• Gimme some more caps!
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 17:00:25 »
Also, really missed opportunity for some nice Axis and Allied novelties.

Flashback to GMK High Castle: https://web.archive.org/web/20190926202808/https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=102634.0.
It was a fun reading, thanks a lot! Personally I like history, and do not classify it as bad or good. At a time a person or group can be defined as bad indeed, and be dealt with accordingly, but once it's history, it's just part of our collective memory. Of course I understand how one might think that printing Nazi symbols means you support it, but I support creative freedom, and would like to see a bolder set.

Offline MILKYWAY KEYS

• MilkywayKeys
« Reply #25 on: Sat, 04 September 2021, 02:07:54 »
Minor update... removed the guns from the renders  : |

Offline DUO LUO NIAO

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 00:59:13 »
Good idea :thumb:

Offline salgiza

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 03:05:09 »
Any chances of kits for European users? E.g. an “International” kit such as this or “South/North” kits like in this GB? I haven’t seen any MW sets with support for EU layouts and I don’t know whether that’s intentional or it’s just that nobody had asked yet…

Any comments on this? I'm going to guess from the lack of response that EU support won't be considered for this set, but what's the general plan for MW sets?
I mean, should I ignore MW sets because support for Norde/South layouts won't be an option? Will it depend on demand for each set? Maybe a MOQ for the GB? Or is it something that you might consider in the future but not yet?

Note: it is perfectly fine (well it sucks for us, but you know what I mean ;) ) if you don't support these layouts, but lately I've seen a few nice looking MW sets (including this) and I'm curious about what to expect from these ICs/GBs.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 08 September 2021, 12:36:52 »
Jesus that red is gorgeous. Hope you have an easy time getting it color matched correctly. Good luck with the IC. 

Offline MILKYWAY KEYS

• MilkywayKeys
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 01:18:14 »

Any comments on this? I'm going to guess from the lack of response that EU support won't be considered for this set, but what's the general plan for MW sets?
I mean, should I ignore MW sets because support for Norde/South layouts won't be an option? Will it depend on demand for each set? Maybe a MOQ for the GB? Or is it something that you might consider in the future but not yet?

Note: it is perfectly fine (well it sucks for us, but you know what I mean ;) ) if you don't support these layouts, but lately I've seen a few nice looking MW sets (including this) and I'm curious about what to expect from these ICs/GBs.

If you have seen other Milkway IC's, we do support international kits!

Whether some Milkway sets will/will not support international kits, really depends on the designers if they wanna run them. As for this one, running an international kit is still on the table.

Offline Koii

• im broke ;-;
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 02:31:47 »
looks cool

Offline salgiza

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 09 September 2021, 03:44:25 »
If you have seen other Milkway IC's, we do support international kits!

Whether some Milkway sets will/will not support international kits, really depends on the designers if they wanna run them. As for this one, running an international kit is still on the table.

Thanks for the answer! Arg, I guess that I was just unlucky that all the ones I checked didn't include them (I miss a facepalm emoji in this chat...)
Hopefully I'll get the chance to buy/check a MW keyset soon, then! :)

Offline Dinerenblanc

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 06:46:39 »
I like the idea, but that red is too funky, kinda makes the set look like a toy. Also, those novelties are pretty tacky.

Offline Finite

• peer pressured into mk hobby, pls send help
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 11:48:54 »
I love the morse code sublegends as I recently learned morse code, but... the spacing is super inconsistent between dots and dashes on different keys. I also feel like centered sublegends would be better when it comes to morse code, but I can see why you wouldn't want to do that since people would say you're copying how IFK Morse did it. As long as the spacing is fixed on the morse code sublegends, I'm happy and will 100% buy this set.

Offline Bl4ck

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 11:55:18 »
6u Spacebars?

Offline vishydesigns

« Reply #35 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 20:34:48 »
Altered mods are amazing, will probably be picking this up in the future