Author Topic: [IC] GMK WoB Red Cyrillic - GB October 1st  (Read 53390 times)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK WoB Red Cyrillic
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 19:48:11 »
Updated base kit
Thanks for feedback everyone, I tried to consider everything and changed kitting accordingly.

Base kit changes:
- as previously stated, bottom row switched to full row 5 as well as added numpad and 1800 support (numpad "5" will be only nipple style) + updated devide and multiply symbols
- added missing 2u spacebar
- removed front print on Print and Pause
More
Show Image

Added icon mods kit
There was a lot of requests for icon mods. Icon + text is still my prefered style of mods but I can see desire for icons only.
More
Show Image

Sublegends update
Even though T0mb3ry's set of Cyrillic legends are allowed for anyone to use, we couldn’t reach an agreement regarding of changing the legends mentioned previously to make them more accurate.
This set will feature new set of Cyrillic legends that Alexbarb and me put together. They are very similar to latin GMK/Cherry in the sense of typeface. The idea was to make as accurate as possible Cyrillic. In addition to most noticable legend changes (У, Ж, Л), Cyrillic was completely redone from the ground up.
Sublegends on R (К), T (Е), Y (Н), [ (Х), D (В), F (А), H (Р), J (О), Z (Я), C (С), V (M), B (И), N (Т) as well as sublegends on num row will be using original GMK (Cherry) font since glyphs are the same. Rest are custom outlines with original latin legends in mind.

Huge thanks to Alexbarb for make this happened!

GB tentatively starts October 1st and will run for a month at $135 (500 MOQ) on Space Cables. Regional proxies will be announced later.

I'm assuming the base kit render you posted uses the aforementioned new Cyrillic sublegends. If that is the case, then good job, because all of them look correct. I am noticing an improvement in consistency over the regular doubleshot legends used in sets such as Yuri.

That being said, one small issue that still remains is that the Х glyph is a tad too narrow. This has been the case in every Cyrillic GMK set so far due to the glyph being repurposed from the Latin X legend. Metrically, К, У and Х are usually the same width in neo-grotesque sans typefaces, but here you can definitely tell that the Х is narrower. Since you now have an opportunity to fix that, I recommend doing just that.

Also, purely typographically speaking, Latin K and Cyrillic К are not exact homoglyphs: the Cyrillic traditionally has a curved rather than a straight arm, and sometimes both the arm and leg are curved. This is noticeable in Verdana, the default typeface used here on Geekhack. However, making the arm/leg straight is a very common stylistic choice in modern sans typefaces, so I'm happy that you chose to go that route as opposed to e.g. following the example of Arial Rounded Bold (cf. the К glyph in IFK Dark Cyrillic).

I would like to ask you to consider adding R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn to the base kit for 65%/75% support. These keys are popular choices on 65% keyboards, both enthusiast (especially recent ones with corner blockers), as well as those intended for the mass market (e.g. Drop Alt, Keychron K6, RK68, Durgod, Akko etc.). With 65% being as popular a layout as it is, I think these keys would be worth including. If I didn't already have them from Drop WoB, I know I would like to get them from this set.

By the way, I think the fact that you included System/Sys keys and icon mods in CR/WS1 is really cool. Especially cause Emir's WoB icon extension kit has been so hard to track down lately. Very cool — I am definitely tempted to throw my money your way.

Edit: Блин я только что заметил, что раннер русский. Молодец)
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 September 2021, 20:03:46 by konstantin »

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #101 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 20:04:19 »
That being said, one small issue that still remains is that the Х glyph is a tad too narrow. This has been the case in every Cyrillic GMK set so far due to the glyph being repurposed from the Latin X legend. Metrically, К, У and Х are usually the same width in neo-grotesque sans typefaces, but here you can definitely tell that the Х is narrower. Since you now have an opportunity to fix that, I recommend doing just that.

Also, purely typographically speaking, Latin K and Cyrillic К are not exact homoglyphs: the Cyrillic letter usually has a curved rather than a straight arm, and sometimes both the arm and leg are curved. This is noticeable in Verdana, the default typeface used here on Geekhack. However, making the arm/leg straight is a very common stylistic choice in modern sans typefaces, so I'm happy that you chose to go with that as opposed to e.g. following the example of Arial Rounded Bold (cf. the К glyph in IFK Dark Cyrillic).
I'm aware of that but we decided to left those legends as it is, and there is reasons for it. X also might look a bit narrower in renders compare to real GMK one because we don't have original Cherry legends on hands.

The kitting is final, sorry.

<3
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 September 2021, 20:34:34 by Qarmaa »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #102 on: Thu, 02 September 2021, 20:12:30 »
I'm aware of that but we decided to left those legends as it is, and there is reasons for it.

The kitting is final, sorry.

Alright, no worries! I don't mind it in Yuri, so I'd probably notice it even less here. Still, I'd be interested in knowing your reasons, if you don't mind sharing for posterity's sake.

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #103 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 01:45:37 »

I'm assuming the base kit render you posted uses the aforementioned new Cyrillic sublegends. If that is the case, then good job, because all of them look correct. I am noticing an improvement in consistency over the regular doubleshot legends used in sets such as Yuri.

Also, purely typographically speaking, Latin K and Cyrillic К are not exact homoglyphs: the Cyrillic traditionally has a curved rather than a straight arm, and sometimes both the arm and leg are curved. This is noticeable in Verdana, the default typeface used here on Geekhack. However, making the arm/leg straight is a very common stylistic choice in modern sans typefaces, so I'm happy that you chose to go that route as opposed to e.g. following the example of Arial Rounded Bold (cf. the К glyph in IFK Dark Cyrillic).

I would like to ask you to consider adding R3 PgUp, R4 PgDn to the base kit for 65%/75% support. These keys are popular choices on 65% keyboards, both enthusiast (especially recent ones with corner blockers), as well as those intended for the mass market (e.g. Drop Alt, Keychron K6, RK68, Durgod, Akko etc.). With 65% being as popular a layout as it is, I think these keys would be worth including. If I didn't already have them from Drop WoB, I know I would like to get them from this set.

By the way, I think the fact that you included System/Sys keys and icon mods in CR/WS1 is really cool. Especially cause Emir's WoB icon extension kit has been so hard to track down lately. Very cool — I am definitely tempted to throw my money your way.

Thank you for the feedback. I can tell you know what you talking about but would like to point on some details.

You can clearly see that X in Latin/Cherry are narrow. In terms of geometry, X (Cyrillic) and X (Latin) should be the the same in all of the fonts.

Verdana and Arial not the best examples of Cyrillic. Arm or leg (or both) can be curved or straight. It's acceptable both ways. In modern sans serif fontfaces they are straight and repeats the Latin. In this case it's more clean solution rather.

In image you linked Я can have a curved leg, it's acceptable to use it with straight leg R. But that's the matter for a separate talk.

We were trying to mimic Cherry font, that's why Я and R have the same shape, same goes for К and Ж (that made out of K). If we go back to IFK image, there is another thing to note: in Cyrillic Б, Ъ, Ь, Ы are made out of Latin B. Which is wrong. Bottom semicircle should be larger. Instead, it's better to make those letters out of inverted P.

Offline actress

Re: [IC] GMK WoB Red Cyrillic - GB October 1st
« Reply #104 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 03:23:15 »
I see we have a date for the GB now, nice.
Do we know the vendors yet?

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #105 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 03:34:35 »
Do we know the vendors yet?
I'll announce them once we work out all of the details. Stay tuned.

Offline vsrnth

« Reply #106 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 07:28:00 »
please choose Rectangles.store as a vendor for India

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Offline superdoedoe

• ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
« Reply #107 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 09:32:58 »
Any chance for just alphas

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline StepanStulov

« Reply #108 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 10:59:05 »
Finally somebody carrying about Russian lettering instead of replicating that abomination of a font that's found even on the expensive GMK sets. Really happy to see Д, Ц and Щ aligned properly. Keep up good work! Waiting for the group buy. Салют

Offline alexbarb

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 03 September 2021, 11:30:39 »
Finally somebody carrying about Russian lettering instead of replicating that abomination of a font that's found even on the expensive GMK sets. Really happy to see Д, Ц and Щ aligned properly. Keep up good work! Waiting for the group buy. Салют

Thanks for noticing. You are talking about the baseline of the font. And this is important. But we've rethought a lot more

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 05 September 2021, 01:55:04 »
Just want to confirm this is running in Oct. originative just launched a rerun of their cryllic red, I do prefer this due to the R5 and updated legends (and presumably better pricing)
:)

Offline Gnome

« Reply #111 on: Sat, 11 September 2021, 08:20:51 »
Looks good, I really like the kitting.
Curious to see what the prices are for the kits. If it's good, or even just okay, ill be down for both base and icon mods.
Good luck with the group buy  :thumb:

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 03:50:37 »
Will UK ISO or NordeUK set be added?
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline actress

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 10:11:21 »
Will UK ISO or NordeUK set be added?

Look like kitting is done, but I would have loved NordeUK kit as well.
Maybe even something like a RU-DE kit as I proposed but OP ignored :(

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
[IC] GMK WoB Red Cyrillic - GB October 1st
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 12 September 2021, 11:17:04 »
Looks good, I really like the kitting.
Curious to see what the prices are for the kits. If it's good, or even just okay, ill be down for both base and icon mods.
Good luck with the group buy  :thumb:
I don’t think there are any custom colors and very few new molds. I don’t know UV sub legend pricing and it is a chonky base kit, so I’d imagine the set would retail somewhere between 120 and 140.

Edit: knowing GMK these days, I wouldn’t be surprise if they tack on hidden fees though.

Edit x2:

GB starts October 1st with base price of $130 (NA)

Nailed it
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 September 2021, 10:44:46 by _rubik »
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 09:51:33 »

Vendors
NA: Space Cables
SA: Fancy Customs
CA: Ashkeebs
EU: Mykeyboard
UK: ProtoTypist
SEA: iLumKB
AU: Dailyclack
CN: Zfrontier
KR: Swagkeys
JP: Basekeys

« Last Edit: Sun, 19 September 2021, 11:09:05 by Qarmaa »

Offline sup3r170va

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 12:58:52 »

Vendors
US: Space Cables
CA: Ashkeebs
EU: Mykeyboard
UK: ProtoTypist
SEA: iLumKB
AU: Dailyckack
CN: Zfrontier
KR: Swagkeys
JP: Basekeys

Sweet price. I’m in!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 15:52:13 »
Looking forward to this one.

Offline Cujo26

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 16:25:19 »
I might just join this
Please help I am trapped in your computing device

[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112457.0]

Offline slg1993

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 22:52:40 »
did originative just try to f you guys over by leaping ahead of the queue (with a $180 base kit no less)?

if so, for shame

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 16 September 2021, 23:01:09 »
did originative just try to f you guys over by leaping ahead of the queue (with a $180 base kit no less)?

if so, for shame

Eta for Oco Cyrillic is still Oct 2022, so their decision to run another round for $50 more doesn't make much sense
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 06:44:40 »
One more thing I wanted to share about the sublegends.

Once GB is over and preparations done on GMK side, this set of legends will be open for everyone to use in their projects. That also includes: modifying particular legends, taking them apart, alternating (for this, you need souce files which I can provide upon request), use separate legends in combination with the new legends set. I would like to open-source the file completely, but since this legends set uses glyphs from Cherry font that GMK put together on their side, it will only contain legends that made from the ground up (around 20), so there is no point for that unless you want to modify something (for which you can request file from me).

If anybody need renders with new sublegends, please reach out Marco (Marco#8888 on Discord, https://marcofriedrichs.com/).

Thanks again everyone for support! Looking forward for this to happen.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 September 2021, 07:49:39 by Qarmaa »

Offline azzipa

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 17 September 2021, 12:34:30 »
very cool, @qarmaa

Offline Grindbox

« Reply #123 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 13:20:03 »
FYI - It looks like the images for the key set options are broken!

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 13:54:52 »
FYI - It looks like the images for the key set options are broken!
Fixed now.

On the side note, added Fancy Customs as South America vendor.

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 20 September 2021, 14:50:26 »
At this point it's insulting that there hasn't been a single WOB kit with 1.5U Supers. Whyyyyy

Offline Qarmaa

« Reply #126 on: Tue, 28 September 2021, 17:06:08 »
GB thread is up: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=114783. Topic locked.