Author Topic: THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!  (Read 35465 times)

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:45:43 »
I LIKE TOPRE

11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:49:02 »
:lol:

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 16:55:53 »

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 17:10:17 »
I ****ing love my Topre.

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 17:28:41 »
I ****ing love my Topre.

:confused: I hope you clean your keyboard often. That isn't good for the dome rubber  ;).

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 17:43:22 »
I ****ing love my Topre.

??? I hope you clean your keyboard often. That isn't good for the dome rubber  ;) .

Don't worry it's Japanese it can take it........ :p

I use to be a Topre lover but now it rests back into it's box stored away for another day of possible use.  I just chose the MX as my daily driver because it's not precise, nor perfect, sometimes fails and can get annoying like a mother-in-law sitting in the back seat as you try to drive out of gangland territory.

Topre is for those that want that type of clarity, superb directness with the keys and above all else 'silence'.  The "thock, thock, thock", is your heartbeat when you narrate a story directly to screen.

I still appreciate the Realforce, you choose whether to be Obiwan or Skywalker.  ;)

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 18:23:08 »
:confused: I hope you clean your keyboard often. That isn't good for the CUP rubber  ;).

FTFY

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #107 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 18:34:52 »
Feedback is important.

There is an entire study of "feedback loops" with each part making its own contribution to the whole.

Tactility is invaluable in telling your brain, on a subconscious level, that "something" has happened.

Personally, I love the clicks, just because, but some level of tactility is essential.
"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline volatilecoffee

• Formerly ybnrmalatall
  • I don't feel any certain way.
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 18:37:34 »
It's because the Topre crowd defend it like it's a religion or something.

We wouldn't have to defend it if the people who try out Topre and don't like it wouldn't get all butt-hurt about it and attack it *cought*tp*cough* ;) I rarely see a Topre lover come down on Cherry, but I frequently see the opposite.

You have to understand, when someone drops $300 on a keyboard, just to find out it feels the same (or close to the same, anyway) as the $10 rubber dome they threw out when they discovered MX boards, they have a tendency to react by posting "Topre sucks." It may be of far superior build quality, but they can't get past the emotional barrier of feeling ripped off by spending so much on something that has a typing feel of a rubber dome.

Topre lovers, OTOH, don't have a strong emotional negativity toward MX boards, because most have progressed from RD to MX to Topre. They realize that MX boards are of a high quality (the good ones, anyway), so they don't feel like posting "MX sucks" after finding they prefer Topre.

No one is saying that Topre users are somehow less intelligent or something than MX users. But when someone has the reaction that causes them to post "Topre sucks," Topre users naturally feel slighted and rush in to defend their favorite switch. Hence this thread.

Can I base a friggin religion off of you for this? THANK YOU lol
Linear gang needs to rise up against the tactile hipsters.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 19:07:50 »
It's because the Topre crowd defend it like it's a religion or something.

We wouldn't have to defend it if the people who try out Topre and don't like it wouldn't get all butt-hurt about it and attack it *cought*tp*cough* ;) I rarely see a Topre lover come down on Cherry, but I frequently see the opposite.

You have to understand, when someone drops $300 on a keyboard, just to find out it feels the same (or close to the same, anyway) as the $10 rubber dome they threw out when they discovered MX boards, they have a tendency to react by posting "Topre sucks." It may be of far superior build quality, but they can't get past the emotional barrier of feeling ripped off by spending so much on something that has a typing feel of a rubber dome.

Topre lovers, OTOH, don't have a strong emotional negativity toward MX boards, because most have progressed from RD to MX to Topre. They realize that MX boards are of a high quality (the good ones, anyway), so they don't feel like posting "MX sucks" after finding they prefer Topre.

No one is saying that Topre users are somehow less intelligent or something than MX users. But when someone has the reaction that causes them to post "Topre sucks," Topre users naturally feel slighted and rush in to defend their favorite switch. Hence this thread.

Can I base a friggin religion off of you for this? THANK YOU lol

You want to base a religion on me? Hey, THANK YOU! :P

You can get ordained for life at ulc.org
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 19:18:27 »
Feedback is important.

There is an entire study of "feedback loops" with each part making its own contribution to the whole.

i feel like this is a big reason why unix is so daunting for a lot of people
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 20:42:15 »
I rarely see a Topre lover come down on Cherry, but I frequently see the opposite.

Topre lovers don't need to come down on Cherry simply because we are soooooooo above the Cherry crowd. No contest, no fun.
It would be like beating someone already down. :-)

T-T-T-T-Troflllllllllllling
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 February 2013, 20:44:04 by BucklingSpring »
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 01:23:23 »
The passion from MMB. thanks for this thread guys, great read. :) good to see you're still around defending your Topre.
I love Elzy

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 02:43:24 »
I ****ing love my Topre.

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 02:45:29 »
Lol.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline iri

« Reply #115 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 03:19:54 »
i see many people here having problems with topre being rubber dome and saying something like "it feels nothing like a rubber dome". bad news for you guys: it feels like a rubber dome. it is a rubber dome.

Being a white guy (racists)
hey, i'm a racist too!
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 03:30:08 »
It really doesn't to me feel anything like the rubber domes at the office. Much different IMO.
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline crthell

• crthell
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 03:46:00 »
It really doesn't to me feel anything like the rubber domes at the office. Much different IMO.
Which is precisely what matters. We're not keyboard enthusiasts because of the technology, we're keyboard enthusiasts because of the feel (and eventually the addiction.) Who gives a crap if a board is RD, scissor RD, capacitive, "mechanical," or anything else? It is all about how it feels.
/crthell
Mechanical Keyboard(s): Apple Extended Keyboard II M3501 (dampened Alps)
Quality Rubber Dome(s): Dell QuietKey RT7D5JTW

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 03:51:34 »
Feedback is important.

i feel like this is a big reason why unix is so daunting for a lot of people

set PS1=`echo $?` \$

You're welcome.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 04:11:58 »
I love it how Iri conveniently ignores the fact that there are springs underneath each rubber cone, which add a lot to the Topre feel. And is what differentiates it from typical rubber domes.

Don't Cherry MX switches have springs, too?

I ****ing love my Topre.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 04:16:19 »
It's ok if you don't. But I ****ing love it.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 04:22:00 »
I ain't bashing Cherry switches. I'm just saying, I ****ing love my Topre.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 04:24:33 »
I love it.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 04:31:28 »
Filthy dome lovers.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 04:31:48 »
I'm not doing anything wrong. You can dislike Topre, and I can like Topre. I'm not bashing Cherry switches. I'm just saying, I really ****ing love my Topre.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 04:54:00 »
I love it how Iri conveniently ignores the fact that there are springs underneath each rubber cone, which add a lot to the Topre feel. And is what differentiates it from typical rubber domes.

I ****ing love my Topre.

It isn't just the springs..that is one aspect of Topre that makes it different than just any other rubber dome...

It is also the design the switch itself...the stability, the smoothness and the feel when it bottoms out...

Do they feel very similar to Rubber domes?  Sure..that is because a part of them IS rubber dome..but they also feel different than normal rubber domes....There are aspects that differentiate them from any normal rubber dome..

Either people get that or they don't...

Offline Demofly

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 05:15:03 »
My first time typing on a Topre I didn't know what it was and thought it was just a normal membrane keyboard, but a nice one.

My buddy asked me how I liked it and I said it was nice. For the price I am a little baffled.
i5 2300 - 7870Ghz - 8GB DDR3-1600 - 21.5" Acer 1080p
HPE 87 MX Brown + Ducky PBT (purchased from Flip!) | Ducky 1087XM Xiang Min Black ALPS clones.

Offline iri

« Reply #127 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 05:16:49 »
i can't wait to the moment when people start using the word MEMBRANE to distinguish conventional rubber dome keyboards from capacitive rubber dome topre.

I love it how Iri conveniently ignores the fact that there are springs underneath each rubber cone, which add a lot to the Topre feel.
5gf springs add a lot to topre feel? surely that's news to me.

and the feel when it bottoms out...
what's so special about it? i wish it was as smooth as my microsoft-whatever membrane keyboard's.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 05:21:14 »
i can't wait to the moment when people start using the word MEMBRANE to distinguish conventional rubber dome keyboards from capacitive rubber dome topre.

I love it how Iri conveniently ignores the fact that there are springs underneath each rubber cone, which add a lot to the Topre feel.
5gf springs add a lot to topre feel? surely that's news to me.

what's so special about it? i wish it was as smooth as my microsoft-whatever membrane keyboard's.

So are you telling me, what I'm experiencing and feeling with my Topre board is not really what I'm experiencing and feeling? Give me a break. The spring makes a difference in the feel. You say the spring is 5g? That's not nothing. That's the weight of a nickel. Nickels aren't weightless.

I ****ing love my Topre.

Again, you don't have to like it. But I ****ing love it. Your posts amount to nothing than trying to change other people's opinions into disliking Topre.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2013, 05:26:27 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline iri

« Reply #129 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 05:32:23 »
So are you telling me, what I'm experiencing and feeling with my Topre board is not really what I'm experiencing and feeling?
no.

So are you telling me, what I'm experiencing and feeling with my Topre board is not really what I'm experiencing and feeling? Give me a break. The spring makes a difference in the feel. You say the spring is 5g? That's not nothing. That's the weight of a nickel. Nickels aren't weightless.
sure not weightless. but the springs are 9 times lighter than domes in my keyboard and 11 times lighter than domes in 55g. and i honestly can't feel them.

Your posts amount to nothing than trying to change other people's opinions into disliking Topre.
could you please give me a quote of my posts which could make anyone dislike topre?

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #130 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 05:40:29 »
Like I said, you don't have to like Topre. But I ****ing love my Topre.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2013, 05:48:20 by fuzzybaffy »

Offline iri

« Reply #131 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 05:53:02 »
You essentially told an entire group of Topre users, who say they believe Topres feel nothing like a rubber dome, that they are wrong to believe so, and that they should still see them as rubber domes.
let's put my feelings aside. could you please logically explain me, how can topres, which are rubber dome keyboards, feel nothing like rubber dome keyboards? i heard your argument about the spring which "add a lot to feel", but again, i can't logically understand how the 10% of resistance they add (in case of my keyboard) is "a lot to the feel".

-Ray Bradbury

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #132 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 05:53:16 »
Your posts amount to nothing than trying to change other people's opinions into disliking Topre.
could you please give me a quote of my posts which could make anyone dislike topre?

Sure:

i see many people here having problems with topre being rubber dome and saying something like "it feels nothing like a rubber dome". bad news for you guys: it feels like a rubber dome. it is a rubber dome.

You essentially told an entire group of Topre users, who believe Topre doesn't feel like rubber domes, that they shouldn't believe that.

You don't have to like Topre. But I ****ing love my Topre.

Offline fuzzybaffy

« Reply #133 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 05:56:11 »
You essentially told an entire group of Topre users, who say they believe Topres feel nothing like a rubber dome, that they are wrong to believe so, and that they should still see them as rubber domes.
let's put my feelings aside. could you please logically explain me, how can topres, which are rubber dome keyboards, feel nothing like rubber dome keyboards? i heard your argument about the spring which "add a lot to feel", but again, i can't logically understand how the 10% of resistance they add (in case of my keyboard) is "a lot to the feel".

No, listen. It's all subjective. If you don't feel like the spring adds a lot to the feel, then it doesn't, for you. But to me, it does.

And that's why I ****ing love Topre.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #134 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 06:05:38 »

You're saying your MS keyboard feel better when you bottom?  Obviously personal preference but Topres have a firm but not a harsh feeling when they bottom vs. a soft and mushy feeling on more normal rubber domes...

Smoothness...they are very smooth..Most rubber dome keyboards are smooth as well..but it is the combination of smoothness and stability that you don't get from normal rubber dome keys...

On the flipside, Cherry MX feel far more scratchy..I like Cherry boards as well..they feel very solid but people lube switches to get them to feel smoother...they do it because it feels better. 

I think when people first use Topre..their first reaction is...This feels more like my rubber dome keyboards than my Cherry Boards...and immediately feel that means it somehow is inferior.  Either you start noticing the differences and appreciating it or you don't....it is also why the people that don't seem to hate on Topre..they don't understand why people like it...

Offline iri

« Reply #135 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 06:09:21 »
jdcarpe really knew what he was talking about...

I ****ing love my Topre.
I ****ing love my Topre.
I'm just saying, I ****ing love my Topre.
I'm just saying, I really ****ing love my Topre.
I ****ing love my Topre.
Again, you don't have to like it. But I ****ing love it.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #136 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 06:23:26 »
You're saying your MS keyboard feel better when you bottom?  Obviously personal preference but Topres have a firm but not a harsh feeling when they bottom vs. a soft and mushy feeling on more normal rubber domes...
not necessarily. i tried a colleague's compaq keyboard and it has almost the same landing feel as topre. my microsoft keyboard has a softer bottom out feel. and it sure feels better. i'd trade soft bottoming for those capacitive switches. i don't need them anyway as i always bottom out.

On the flipside, Cherry MX feel far more scratchy..I like Cherry boards as well..they feel very solid but people lube switches to get them to feel smoother...they do it because it feels better.
completely agreed.

I think when people first use Topre..their first reaction is...This feels more like my rubber dome keyboards than my Cherry Boards...and immediately feel that means it somehow is inferior.
why necessarily inferior? rubber domes have one advantage over mechanical switch: they are smooth. butter smooth. i feel that's superior. some people may not like the tactility of rubber domes though.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Polymer

« Reply #137 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 06:44:29 »
not necessarily. i tried a colleague's compaq keyboard and it has almost the same landing feel as topre. my microsoft keyboard has a softer bottom out feel. and it sure feels better. i'd trade soft bottoming for those capacitive switches. i don't need them anyway as i always bottom out.

Again, it is personal preference.  If you like the way those keyboards bottom out then that is great...for you.  If you're saying normal rubber keyboards have as firm a feeling as Topre, some are quite good, most are not the same type of feel...at least not to me...Maybe it is the stability playing a part...

I think when people first use Topre..their first reaction is...This feels more like my rubber dome keyboards than my Cherry Boards...and immediately feel that means it somehow is inferior.
why necessarily inferior? rubber domes have one advantage over mechanical switch: they are smooth. butter smooth. i feel that's superior. some people may not like the tactility of rubber domes though.
I'm not saying it is inferior...I'm saying people who first try Topre and dislike it tend to dislike it because they associate the feeling with rubber dome..and to them rubber dome = inferior...or cheap.  "I can get the same keyboard for 10 dollars".   In reality, you can't...You can get a rubber dome keyboard that will have some characteristics of Topre for 10 dollars..but it is not the same..Just because Cherry feels significantly different from rubber dome doesn't mean it is the only thing worth buying...

Offline iri

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 06:50:33 »
I'm not saying it is inferior...I'm saying people who first try Topre and dislike it tend to dislike it because they associate the feeling with rubber dome..and to them rubber dome = inferior...or cheap.  "I can get the same keyboard for 10 dollars".   In reality, you can't...You can get a rubber dome keyboard that will have some characteristics of Topre for 10 dollars..but it is not the same.
people have to realize that rubber domes go from $5 to $800 and that absolutely means they are very different.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #139 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 09:22:36 »
No, listen. It's all subjective. If you don't feel like the spring adds a lot to the feel, then it doesn't, for you. But to me, it does.

So you've pulled a Topre apart and taken out the springs and stuck it back together and typed with it to know that what you are feeling that's different is indeed the springs?  I mean, aside from the fact that it won't actually work.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 09:53:12 »

Most all of them.

Offline iri

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 09:56:16 »

-Ray Bradbury

Offline iri

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 10:03:36 »
for blind religious fanatics i'll repeat that i like the board besides bottom out feel. and i think i can help that issue.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 10:38:34 »
for blind religious fanatics i'll repeat that i like the board besides bottom out feel. and i think i can help that issue.

"I ****ing love my Topre." That is the mantra. Keep repeating it, silently or aloud, while using the keyboard. Eventually, it will become as truth to you.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline iri

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 10:52:38 »

"I ****ing love my Topre." That is the mantra. Keep repeating it, silently or aloud, while using the keyboard. Eventually, it will become as truth to you.
still it won't help my finger ache =(

-Ray Bradbury

Offline karljs

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 13:14:31 »
Why does anybody give half a damn what material is used in their switches?  The only things that matter are feel and durability.  If Topre is able to use rubber to create a long-lasting, nice-feeling key switch (and I think they do) great.  If Cherry is able to create a nice feeling key switch with springs and chunks of plastic (I think they do) then great. 

Rubber is not some cop-out, cheap material that automatically ruins a keyboard.  Just like a good beer can be brewed with the same ingredients as a terrible one.  And a beer is just what I need after bothering to respond in this embarrassing thread.

Offline aviphysics

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 17:55:44 »

I ****ing love my Topre.

Cherry MX switches have springs, they also have a spring that pushes the key up. Topre have a capacitive sensor. You almost can't even call it a real switch.

jdcarpe really knew what he was talking about...

I ****ing love my Topre.
I ****ing love my Topre.
I'm just saying, I ****ing love my Topre.
I'm just saying, I really ****ing love my Topre.
I ****ing love my Topre.
Again, you don't have to like it. But I ****ing love it.

I think we should back it up with a nice THOCK! THOCK! THOCK! beat, mix it up with some Wub Wub and it would make some nice dubstep
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:01:52 by aviphysics »

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:09:24 »
Yawn.....

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
THOCK-THOCK-THOCK!
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:12:33 »
I have a serious question about Topre switches, that maybe someone here can answer. I know the mechanism for actuation is capacitive, but what causes the capacitance? The metal spring coming in close proximity to the pad?

Also, a related question, is it possible, while typing normally, to actuate the switch without bottoming out? I never could achieve that with my Topre boards, I was just wondering if it was possible.

in memoriam

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:16:36 »
I have a serious question about Topre switches, that maybe someone here can answer. I know the mechanism for actuation is capacitive, but what causes the capacitance? The metal spring coming in close proximity to the pad?

Also, a related question, is it possible, while typing normally, to actuate the switch without bottoming out? I never could achieve that with my Topre boards, I was just wondering if it was possible.

As I am typing now on an HHKB, yes it is possible to actuate the switch without bottoming out. But you would really need to train your fingers for it. It just seems easier to bottom out. There are some keystrokes where I don't bottom out at times. But most of the time I do.

tl;dr - yes, it's possible

Now that I think about it, I seem to bottom out less on the 55g RF, most likely because of the higher pressure.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 February 2013, 18:19:00 by Bro Caps »