Author Topic: CHERRY switches have NEW stems, supersmooth!  (Read 127994 times)

Offline Giorgio

Re: CHERRY switches have NEW stems, supersmooth!
« Reply #200 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 15:50:13 »
Is there anyone interested in sending to haata some silent, new and vintage switches for testing? Having some accurate tests would be great :-) We could raise some money if the delivery is expensive.

Offline menuhin

« Reply #201 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 15:58:37 »
Is there anyone interested in sending to haata some silent, new and vintage switches for testing? Having some accurate tests would be great :-) We could raise some money if the delivery is expensive.

Where is HaaTa located?

But we also have to make sure that his gauze is still there, especially if he is also into using fire or acid etc for experimentation.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 May 2017, 16:00:26 by menuhin »
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #202 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 17:29:04 »

Where is HaaTa located?

But we also have to make sure that his gauze is still there, especially if he is also into using fire or acid etc for experimentation.

Deskthority country?

https://deskthority.net/photos-f62/how-cherry-has-fallen-t15265.html

Offline gnmar2723

« Reply #203 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 19:20:03 »
I can donate a variety of my NOS switches! Shipping is really cheap for CONUS stuff since it looks like he's in SoCal

Offline Faux

« Reply #204 on: Tue, 09 May 2017, 22:02:59 »
I'd like to point out that I have purchased NIB vintage blacks, and I find them to be much scratchier than used vintage blacks. I guess how hard they are used really has a large effect since I have some mx blacks from a 2004 cop keyboard. They are smoother than my NIB vintage blacks, however, used vintage blacks are the smoothest. I can't comment on the new mx blacks since I don't have any yet, but I can compare them if I ever purchase them.

On another note, does anyone know if all mx nature white switches are new stem? I think Zeal commented that they were, however, I got a user to open one up and the stem was not angled like the new stems.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #205 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 02:29:10 »

Has he ever indicated that he wants or needs anyone to send him switches? Right now I have no idea what he does and does not have. No doubt once he's caught up with what he does have he'll make it known somehow of which switch types he's been unable to acquire by fair means or foul. I'm assuming that anything that we can find, he's already bought before we did, and that he's more likely to need some of the more obscure parts.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #206 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 04:06:09 »
I'd like to point out that I have purchased NIB vintage blacks, and I find them to be much scratchier than used vintage blacks. I guess how hard they are used really has a large effect since I have some mx blacks from a 2004 cop keyboard.
I'd like to point out that source and storage matter.

Every single vintage Cherry G80 that I've owned has had butter smooth switches, regardless of wear. Wyse not so much.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #207 on: Wed, 10 May 2017, 06:08:38 »

Has he ever indicated that he wants or needs anyone to send him switches? Right now I have no idea what he does and does not have. No doubt once he's caught up with what he does have he'll make it known somehow of which switch types he's been unable to acquire by fair means or foul. I'm assuming that anything that we can find, he's already bought before we did, and that he's more likely to need some of the more obscure parts.

Yes he did. I don't remember in what thread.

Offline zombimuncha

« Reply #208 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 05:21:20 »
So are new MX Clears smooth now, or what? Did we find out yet?

Offline kconfire

« Reply #209 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 08:12:13 »
I'd like to point out that I have purchased NIB vintage blacks, and I find them to be much scratchier than used vintage blacks. I guess how hard they are used really has a large effect since I have some mx blacks from a 2004 cop keyboard.
I'd like to point out that source and storage matter.

Every single vintage Cherry G80 that I've owned has had butter smooth switches, regardless of wear. Wyse not so much.

Where do you pick up G80 series with buttery smooth cherry mx blacks?
I've recently purchased 2 NIB Wyse keyboard as well as PCB+Cherry MX Blacks shipping from Germany and they all feel like they got sands in between the parts.

Didn't sound as bad as the new Cherry MX Black, but at this point I'm willing to try out the new-new Cherry MX Black that people supposedly claim are better than the New Cherry MX Black or normal "vintage Cherry MX Black."
[Collection] Monokei Kei SE, Realforce R2 TKL, Leopold FC660C
[Soon TM] Monokei Tomo SE, GSKT-00

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #210 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 08:20:44 »
Better buy new than ruin a nice vintage keyboard.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #211 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 08:21:56 »
I've made some pictures. I'll post them as soon as I remember. They're.... interesting.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #212 on: Tue, 16 May 2017, 12:08:18 »
I've made some pictures. I'll post them as soon as I remember. They're.... interesting.

Did you make a video?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #213 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 18:50:37 »
Just received some MX Blacks from mechanicalkeyboards.com. They are the old style switches and are far from what I would consider smooth.

Also picked up some MX Clears. They are the old style but are notably smoother than the Blacks I received.
Mira SE  |  Clueboard  |   B.face  |  HHKB Type-S

Offline kconfire

« Reply #214 on: Wed, 17 May 2017, 19:27:55 »
Um, when I called them they did not say the blacks were the 'new-new'.. I think they were confused.
However I had a confirmation from e-mail that Switchtop? has the new-new cherry mx blacks.

Try them and let us know. Someone above in this thread mentioned the SwitchTop does really have new-new blacks.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #215 on: Thu, 18 May 2017, 06:18:21 »
Ask for pictures of the switches. We'll look at them.

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #216 on: Sat, 20 May 2017, 10:50:33 »
I've recently purchased 2 NIB Wyse keyboard as well as PCB+Cherry MX Blacks shipping from Germany and they all feel like they got sands in between the parts.

Didn't sound as bad as the new Cherry MX Black, but at this point I'm willing to try out the new-new Cherry MX Black that people supposedly claim are better than the New Cherry MX Black or normal "vintage Cherry MX Black."

Did you run some maintenance on the boards before using them? I've recently traded for a couple of G80 and once everything was washed and brushed, man, I'm in linear paradise. Still can't wait for my new switches to arrive so I can compare.
Filco MJ2 Black - MX Red | VA88M - MX Brown | Cherry G80-3000 -
  MX Blue | Cherry G80-3000 - MX Black | XD75re - MX Silent Red

[image]http://i.imgur.com/our8YUc.png[/image]

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #217 on: Sun, 21 May 2017, 07:40:29 »

Did you run some maintenance on the boards before using them? I've recently traded for a couple of G80 and once everything was washed and brushed, man, I'm in linear paradise. Still can't wait for my new switches to arrive so I can compare.

My supersmooth g80-1800 in DE layout came from Amazon

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 08:19:43 »
Has anyone had a Leopold board with these retooled switches yet?

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 13:34:06 »
Has anyone had a Leopold board with these retooled switches yet?

The Leopold FC660M I got from www.mechanicalkeyboards.com back in January of this year came with the new retooled version of MX blacks. This was actually the 1st time I realized something had changed since I was expecting the switches in this to be fairly scratchy until it got broken in. To my surprise they were buttery smooth right out of the box. :eek:
168998-0
169000-1
The 1st pic is just to show that it is a FC660M with Cherry blacks, but in the second pic you can see the top of the stem before the cross for the caps has the new single angle finish that indicates it is in fact a switch produced from the new tooling.
169002-2
Here is a pic of a MX tactile grey produced with the old tooling for comparison. See how the top of the stem before the cross for the caps has a stepped finish vs the single angle finish of the new blacks. IME this is the easiest way to tell if a pre-built board that doesn't allow for switch opening has Cherry switches produced with the new or old tooling. :thumb:

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 14:27:32 »
Oh great, good to know that they exist. I might order one from mykeyboard.eu then. I always wanted to try a Leopold and getting to also try the retooled switches would be awesome. I just hope that their stock isn't too old.

Offline kconfire

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 14:39:27 »

My supersmooth g80-1800 in DE layout came from Amazon

Wow, so jelly. lol

Offline Entropia

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 14:55:12 »
I own two Leopold FC980M keyboards with black switches and I can confirm they are extremelly smooth (I can compare them with the switches on my old Tesoro Durandal G1N). On the contrary, the same model with reds had very scratchy switches (I returned it).

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #223 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 16:19:34 »
Oh great, good to know that they exist. I might order one from mykeyboard.eu then. I always wanted to try a Leopold and getting to also try the retooled switches would be awesome. I just hope that their stock isn't too old.

You could try emailing them & see if they know which revision of switches the boards you're interested in are using. Afaik I know though, Cherry is still denying any changes & being very tight lipped about this. So they may not be able to tell you for sure as many people, even ones in the business are still unaware of the newest variant of MX linear switches. I would say it's still a crap shoot buying pre built boards with Cherry linear switches if you're looking to get the newest version of them. Hell it's still a crap shoot buying the switches by themselves unless you can get confirmation TBH. Also right now I'm not sure if the retooled stems are used on all of Cherry's MX lineup or not for sure. I mistakenly reported earlier in this thread that those MX Greys had the retooled stem, but upon further inspection they are definitely of the older variety. :-[

Leopold is good choice for sure though. I got that FC660M right before I got my soldering equipment & started building/modding MKBs to my liking. Compared to any other pre-built MKBs I owned or tried it is definitely the most solid, best feeling one of the lot. So even if you don't get one that has the retooled MX Linears, that is nothing some thin Krytox/krytox mix can't fix if you're handy with a soldering iron & willing to take on a project like that. I was personally really impressed with Leopold's build quality & think it would be worth it, even with the re-tooled linears to give the board that extra bit of polish that'll make it a really great feeling board. I intend on de-soldering all the switches from my 660M so I can lube them & clip/lube the stabs as soon as I re-up on GH's thin Krytox mix. :thumb:

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 23 May 2017, 16:20:35 »
Just received some MX Blacks from mechanicalkeyboards.com. They are the old style switches and are far from what I would consider smooth.

Also picked up some MX Clears. They are the old style but are notably smoother than the Blacks I received.
Do keycaps get stuck on those MX Clears?

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #225 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 18:42:29 »

As far as I know, all Clears have relatively tight stems. If you leave some keycaps on brand new Clears for a couple weeks, they will loosen up a bit and it will be easier to remove them.

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #226 on: Thu, 25 May 2017, 20:37:23 »

As far as I know, all Clears have relatively tight stems. If you leave some keycaps on brand new Clears for a couple weeks, they will loosen up a bit and it will be easier to remove them.
I guess yours must not have been made with new molds then.

Offline Rayoui

« Reply #227 on: Fri, 26 May 2017, 14:04:13 »
Also picked up some MX Clears. They are the old style

Offline e_l_tang

« Reply #228 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 15:39:10 »
Can someone comment on whether the new Brown switches really are smoother and more tactile?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #229 on: Mon, 29 May 2017, 15:40:20 »
Can someone comment on whether the new Brown switches really are smoother and more tactile?

Tactility wouldn't change as the stem shape stays the same.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #230 on: Tue, 30 May 2017, 00:25:00 »
They shouldn't feel any different other than being smoother.

Perhaps the Browns feel a little snappier since there is not as much scratchiness, as the bump is so tiny in the first place.

Offline Altis

« Reply #231 on: Thu, 15 June 2017, 14:47:05 »
Any updates on this?

Looking for some smooth Cherry linears.

Any word on if the MX Reds have been updated with the smoother stems, or just Black and possibly brown?

I find MX Black a bit heavy but would get them and swap springs if they're smooth.

One thing nobody mentions in Cherry VS Zealios VS Gateron etc is the very different sound they make. Cherry housing seems to make the best sound.
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #232 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 15:37:54 »
One thing nobody mentions in Cherry VS Zealios VS Gateron etc is the very different sound they make. Cherry housing seems to make the best sound.

If I read this a few months ago I would have laughed because I hadn't found discussions about how the different plastic of the switch housing affect the sound. YET.  ;)

Offline Auslander

« Reply #233 on: Thu, 22 June 2017, 21:54:34 »

I just recently noticed this also, Gateron seems to be a good amount louder than Cherry, so far i like the Cherry sound more.
HHKB JP | Realforce 104UB-DK | HHKB Pro 2

Offline Targa-TV

« Reply #234 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 12:09:34 »

I just recently noticed this also, Gateron seems to be a good amount louder than Cherry, so far i like the Cherry sound more.

Mh. Not good information for me. :( Thank goodness I have so many Cherry switches now, I can swap the housings.

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #235 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 17:07:32 »
Can anyone confirm that the new Cherry MX Silvers are cast from the new mould?

Edit: Curious because if not, I'm going to opt for MX Reds or Blacks.
« Last Edit: Sat, 24 June 2017, 17:18:51 by pab »

Offline Altis

« Reply #236 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 18:47:20 »

Are MX Reds updated?
WhiteFox (Gateron Brown) -- Realforce 87U 45g -- Realforce 104UG (Hi Pro 45g) -- Realforce 108US 30g JIS -- HHKB Pro 2 -- IBM Model M ('90) -- IBM Model M SSK ('87) -- NMB RT-101 & RT-8255C+ (Hi-Tek Space Invaders) -- Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blue Alps) -- KPT-102 (KPT Alps) -- KUL ES-87 (62/65g Purple Zealios) -- CM QFR (MX Red) -- Apple Aluminum BT -- Realforce 23u Numpad -- Logitech K740 -- QSENN DT-35 -- Zenith Z-150 (Green Alps)

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #237 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 18:51:34 »

Are MX Reds updated?

If you go back a few pages you can see that they're updated.

Offline pab

• Dvorakian Nightmare
« Reply #238 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 18:56:59 »
Just double checked my MX Blues on my FC980M I purchased a couple of weeks ago and it is using the new mould. I've noticed that they are even louder than traditional blues.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #239 on: Sat, 24 June 2017, 19:36:28 »
Just waiting for someone to say they've seen some updated Clears.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline pok3rino

« Reply #240 on: Fri, 30 June 2017, 21:34:37 »
It appears that the two Pok3rs (non-RGB, non-backlit, black and white models) I purchased from mechanicalkeyboards.com a few weeks ago also have the new tooling, judging by the chamfered edge of the slider, at least.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #241 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 03:09:40 »
It appears that the two Pok3rs (non-RGB, non-backlit, black and white models) I purchased from mechanicalkeyboards.com a few weeks ago also have the new tooling, judging by the chamfered edge of the slider, at least.

Show Image

Are they smooth?

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #242 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 05:07:54 »

Show Image

How are they?

Offline pok3rino

« Reply #243 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 06:50:35 »
They seem really smooth to me, although my experience is limited (I haven't been able to try the original Cherry Reds or any of their other linear switches prior to the new tooling).  A coworker of mine who has a board with the old Cherry Reds tried one of my Pok3rs and said the new switches felt very smooth, similar to Cherry Reds that have been well-worn over a long period of time.

Offline Altis

« Reply #244 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 10:54:57 »
They seem really smooth to me, although my experience is limited (I haven't been able to try the original Cherry Reds or any of their other linear switches prior to the new tooling).  A coworker of mine who has a board with the old Cherry Reds tried one of my Pok3rs and said the new switches felt very smooth, similar to Cherry Reds that have been well-worn over a long period of time.

Nice. I really like MX Reds but they're a bit gritty... If it weren't for that, they'd be my favorite linear switch.

Offline graefeln

« Reply #245 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 12:38:45 »
Got a 100 tactile grey from mechanicalkeyboards.com this morning; still using the old tooling by the looks of it. Believe it's the same mold as clears, so not too surprising.

Offline pon10

• looking at my keycaps..
« Reply #246 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 13:46:15 »
Awesome info, thanks for sharing! :)

Edit: So only confirmed is the linear & clicky blues?
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 July 2017, 13:53:56 by pon10 »

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #247 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 14:08:42 »

Probably they are the new ones then!

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #248 on: Sat, 01 July 2017, 16:35:06 »
I've ordered a sample of various linears.

x5 Kailh Speed Silvers

x10 SMD Gateron Yellows

x10 MX Blacks (switchtop guarantees they're retooled)

I have a hot-swappable keyboard so I'll play around with them for a bit and post my findings here.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #249 on: Wed, 05 July 2017, 16:35:07 »
This week I received three different linear switches: Gateron Yellows, Kailh Speed Silver, and MX Black Here is my findings.

The Gateron Yellows and MX Blacks aside from the weighting, feel about the same. Neither are very smooth imo.

Kailh Speeds are the best feeling. Smoother than the Gaterons or Cherry. They're also the less wobbly than the Gaterons but MX Blacks are slightly less wobbly than the Kailhs.

None of these hold a candle to my linear modded Salmons, though.