Author Topic: Which color for dyed caps?  (Read 5687 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Which color for dyed caps?
« on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 18:09:23 »
I'm debating between crimson and lilac/purple for dying a beige and cream HHKB set.  Dirty little mock up of the two colors.  I think I'm leaning toward the lilac/purple over the crimson.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Re: Which color for dyed caps?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 18:13:24 »
Purple > Crimson

I'd pick the first mock up if the spacebar was still black - that's just me, though.  If not, then the fourth mock up.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 19:11:10 »
I like the first one the best, but personally I'd want the spacebar and tilde to stay black.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 19:13:04 »
I like the first one the best, but personally I'd want the spacebar and tilde to stay black.

Spacebar might stay black, but the tilde will be purple.  Symmetry over tradition for me.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 19:15:39 »
purple ofc. 

are you going to be using iDye?  be sure to share pics of the results with us. :)
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

WANTED: gib clacks        post your mspaints!        post your rubber domes!

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 19:36:49 »
purple ofc. 

are you going to be using iDye?  be sure to share pics of the results with us. :)

Yup. I've already done it once with blank SP DSA caps.  It works ridiculously quickly and well.  I just hope it turns out purple instead of a grey since I've seen stuff like that happen on occasion.  I'll be sure to post pics once its done.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 21:24:26 »
purple confirmed best color
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 21:25:28 »
Not a perfect picture by any means, but a quick and dirty shot of how it turned out.

Also, I totally messed up the space bar by getting the water too hot.  I forgot that last time I did this, I just got the water hot, turned off the flame, let it cool a little, then dropped the caps in.  You don't need boiling hot water to do it, just warm water.  It works fantastically, but the smell is awful.  Now I want to dye something crimson.

Also note, while I thought the different base color would make some darker than others, it doesn't.  They turned out the same.  And since it changes color so quickly, the only way I really see getting a lighter and darker color is by quickly dipping the caps in, then pulling them out within 30 seconds (though that might even be too long).  You can dye a batch of caps in minutes with the dye.  Only fabric really needs that longer time.
« Last Edit: Sat, 11 October 2014, 21:27:40 by nubbinator »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 21:26:38 »
that turned out pretty well

what a nice shade of purple
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 21:29:29 »
It almost took on a magenta like color under the much bright bulb in my dining room.  I'll try to get a sun shot tomorrow and see if it looks different in sunlight, but the color in the picture is the color it looks in my room right now.  My silver Clack skull also goes with it pretty well.

Offline Xowie

• On Sabbatical
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 21:46:33 »
Not a perfect picture by any means, but a quick and dirty shot of how it turned out.

Show Image

Also, I totally messed up the space bar by getting the water too hot.  I forgot that last time I did this, I just got the water hot, turned off the flame, let it cool a little, then dropped the caps in.  You don't need boiling hot water to do it, just warm water.  It works fantastically, but the smell is awful.  Now I want to dye something crimson.

Also note, while I thought the different base color would make some darker than others, it doesn't.  They turned out the same.  And since it changes color so quickly, the only way I really see getting a lighter and darker color is by quickly dipping the caps in, then pulling them out within 30 seconds (though that might even be too long).  You can dye a batch of caps in minutes with the dye.  Only fabric really needs that longer time.

Very nice! This is basically my method as well. Did you have any problems with residue along the edges of your caps?
RETIRED

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 21:47:20 »
looks beautiful, man.  at least from your pic, the color looks uniform and not splotchy or anything like that.   

looking forward to seeing more pics, esp with that silver skull.
a cute stray cat combination that comes out happily when you look at your face is cute

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 21:56:06 »

Very nice! This is basically my method as well. Did you have any problems with residue along the edges of your caps?

Not really, though some do get a little darker near the bottom edge of the cap for some reason.  I only have them in for like maybe 3 minutes before pulling them out, though you may need longer with warm/barely hot water.

looks beautiful, man.  at least from your pic, the color looks uniform and not splotchy or anything like that.   

looking forward to seeing more pics, esp with that silver skull.

If they're clean and new caps, there really aren't any splotching issues...as long as you do things right.  If you add too much dye or don't give it enough time to dilute into the water, it can splotch.  If you add it, agitate it, get it just shy of boiling, then let it cool a little, the dye pigment doesn't clump, which is where splotching typically comes from. After that you just have to keep stirring when dying and you'll be fine.

That doesn't mean that there won't be some inconsistencies, just that they'll be less prominent, at least with the darker colors.

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 22:23:20 »
Great tips.  All have been noted, thanks!  Awhile back I bought an extra set of blanks specifically for dyeing, and I also bought some cheap throwaway set of PBT MX to use as a test run.

You used "iDye Poly" in "Lilac" for this set, right?  On Amazon, I see Lilac, Purple, and Violet.  And wow, this dye comes in a lot of nice colors.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 22:31:59 »
Definitely play with the cheap set first to get an idea.

Yes, I used Lilac.  If you want some for cheaper than the Amazon price, let me know.  A store near me sells them for $2.50 each.

This is how the Violet turned out for me on white and light blue caps.  The purples will all turn out pretty close to each other. The lilac make end up a little lighter on white caps or may look the same as they came out with the beige and cream caps.
More

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 22:43:52 »
what is that qazpad sitting on

that floor looks awesome

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 22:47:01 »
what is that qazpad sitting on

that floor looks awesome

It's a sheet of paper.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 11 October 2014, 23:59:32 »
Dark purple and black does it for me :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 00:02:03 »
Damn, that turned out really nice.  How do they hold up over time?  I know there's probably threads on this somewhere but I'm lazy tonight.  Do they end up fading?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 00:33:34 »
Damn, that turned out really nice.  How do they hold up over time?  I know there's probably threads on this somewhere but I'm lazy tonight.  Do they end up fading?

They should hold up fine from what I've seen.

The other nice thing about iDye Poly is that it does appear to work on ABS and not just PBT.

Offline ComradeSniper

• HHKB Pro
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #20 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 00:43:56 »
Woah, beautiful! Excellent job! Now I want a set like that.  :))

Offline naasfu

• The Curator
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • CURSE YOU HE-MAN
« Reply #21 on: Sun, 12 October 2014, 20:54:26 »
Definitely play with the cheap set first to get an idea.

Yes, I used Lilac.  If you want some for cheaper than the Amazon price, let me know.  A store near me sells them for $2.50 each.

This is how the Violet turned out for me on white and light blue caps.  The purples will all turn out pretty close to each other. The lilac make end up a little lighter on white caps or may look the same as they came out with the beige and cream caps.

Ah, the Violet looks great too, although maybe not as even as the darker Lilac like you were saying.  And the pad looks lovely with those blanks.

There's an arts and crafts store (Joann or something like that) nearby where I live that might carry this stuff.  I'll try checking them out.  But thanks so much for the offer to help with the dyes. :)